New Projector Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-30-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently own a Sony VPL-AW15 and need to replace it due to a lightening strike/power surge. I have also picked up a Denon X4000 receiver and will need a new Blueray player as well. I have a 100" screen which is about 15 feet from the projector. The room does have two windows which are covered with blinds, but they do bleed some light. We have been more or less happy with the current Sony, but would like a brighter image when the room is used during the daytime. I would also like a bit crisper picture, if possible.

I have been out of the loop for the last few years and am not sure what to look for as a replacement. My budget (from the insurance company) is about $1600, but I don't mind spending up to perhaps $2000, if needed. I am not particularly interested in 3D, but would probably spend a bit more to get it just in case we decide we want to use it in the future. The projector is located directly above the couch and hanging from the ceiling. It appears the newer projectors all produce more noise, I guess for the fan. I would prefer for it to not be any louder.

Some that I have looked at (online):
Espon 5010
Epson 3020
BenQ W7000
Sony VPL-HW30ES
Optima HD25

Thoughts or comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Some projectors on your list are 1-2 year old models, so were you looking at refurb or used units for those (I assume to keep within your $2K max. budget)? More specific the Epson 5010 was replaced by the model 5020UB late last year. However a new Epson 5020UB sells new for about $1K more than a refurb Epson 5010. The Sony HW30 is also on older model that Sony kept around as a entry-level alternative, but where the current mainstream model is the HW50es (scheduled to be preplaced by the HW55es later this year), but it sells for close to $4K. For a comparison of the current models check out the Projector Reviews "2013 Home Theater Projector Comparison Report" - HERE. Also you will find detailed reviews of the models in your list (i.e., including the older models) as well as the newer models by following the links from the Projector Reviews main web page - HERE.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 5 Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Any one of those projectors would be better than the old Sony. The HD25 or HD25lv for brighter picture would be the least expensive but unless you move the projector up a few feet or get a bigger screen they won't work. The Sony VPL30ES would be the best of everything but you'll need to kick in another grand over your $1600. Decide if you want the DLP or LCD tech for choices in the other projectors as they will all look good with their inherent flaws in each.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #4 of 5 Old 07-31-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have read through it all and have ordered an Epson 5020ub. I decided that I would rather pay a bit more now than wish I had six months to a year from now. Hope it is not too loud...
post #5 of 5 Old 07-31-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jascott View Post

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have read through it all and have ordered an Epson 5020ub. I decided that I would rather pay a bit more now than wish I had six months to a year from now. Hope it is not too loud...

In Eco mode (low lamp) its very quiet and in Normal mode (high lamp) you can certainly hear the fan, but it quieter than most DLP projectors. The 5020UB is capable of putting up very good 2D as well as 3D images. I just watched "Life of Pi" Blu-ray last weekend on a 5020UB in 3D and there was no noticeable 3D crosstalk (at least nothing obvious enough to draw the attention of the viewers). By the way for accommodating a group to watch a 3D movie, there are some low cost 3D glasses (mentioned the 5020UB owners thread) that work very well with the 5020ub. Samsung SSG-5100GB are available for $19 per pair and the ValueView 3D Glasses for about $25. Both work as well as the much more expensive Epson 3D glasses.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Aw15 Bravia Home Theater Lcd Front Projector Mfg Part Vplaw15 U1 , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page