Dedicated room, seeking a quality projector, under $1500 is a plus. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to replace my 6 year old, blue polarizer zapped, Sanyo PLV-Z5.

The usage for the projector will be primarily 2D movies, gaming, and some 3D movies.

After countless hours of research (thanks to everyone on this forum), I have narrowed the field down to a handful of choices:
BenQ W1070 ($895) no glasses
Epson Home Cinema 3020 2x glasses ($1599)
Epson Home Cinema 5010 (Epson refurbished) no glasses ($1599)
I eliminated the Optoma HD25 line due to image noise concerns…

It will reside in a dedicated 15" long by 8" tall room, with completely controllable ambient light.
The current screen is light gray and 106", and it is 12 feet from the projector which is ceiling mounted on 8ft ceiling.

I have no strong opinion on DLP vs LCD. The RBE doesn't bother me on newer projectors, and I am assuming that newer LCDs won't have as much blurring in fast motion. The Sanyo is my first and only projector.

I am looking for thoughts and opinions on my options, projectors I might have missed, mistakes I have made, justification for the additional $700 eek.gif to jump up to the Epsons, etc…

Thanks!

(Sorry this was so long to read, hopefully you were able to take a nap between paragraphs.)

TLDR: Is the W1070 a good choice for a dedicated room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 12:55 PM

Liked: 11
I am going to bump this because I am almost in the same boat as you.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, has your research turned up any other options?
post #4 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 336
The 5010 is going to be the strongest model of the list you provided. There are any number of projectors which work from that throw distance, but you really want one which will make the most of a dedicated theater space you are in. As much as I do enjoy my W1070, the RBE on this model is far worse than on other projectors I have seen, perhaps due to the brightness of the projectors, which is just not something you need in a dedicated space.

I will say, that any dedicated space, where you have given up a certain percentage of what is one of your most valuable assets, certainly deserves a projector which matches that space. As much as I understand budget, a dedicated space deserves the likes of a Panasonic AE8000, JVC RS46, or Epson 5020 projector. With those sounding like they are out of budget, then the 5010 refurb unit would definitely be worth consideration and would be tops on the list. But, you really are looking for sales more than much else at that budget to get a projector which matches the quality of the room.

I think the other models, while very good entry level units, aren't nearly at the quality that you should be considering for a dedicated space. I mean, the projector you had before used to sell for about $2,000 when it hit the market. Maybe $1800 or so in the first few months before Sanyo disappeared. It was a very good model at the time and still is. So, while you get very good options out there at a lower price today, you should expect that image quality won't be much, if any, of an overall improvement compared to the Z5.
Deadly Shadow likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your response. I couldn't agree more and that is why my initial under 1k budget kept getting stretched the more I researched... Fortunately your response helped convince the finance committee (I am married) look into a budget increase (thanks!).

Do you see another projector in this (newly and reluctantly, expanded) price range that I should consider? I know that JVC and Panasonic are also well loved, but I haven't looked into them very much as the Epsons seem to be very highly regarded.

My only remaining concerns are: The age of the projector (it is a few years old), the fact that it is a refurb (I am reading the separate thread), the price of the 3d glasses (reading the threads looking at PS3 glasses), and LCD vs DLP (it seems most new projectors are DLP...).

Again, thanks for any information. I think I will be ordering today....
post #6 of 11 Old 08-01-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I would strongly consider this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-RS45-REFERENCE-SERIES-2D-3D-D-ILA-PROJECTOR-w-REMOTE-/390635111362?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item5af3aac3c2

The JVC RS series is the best out there IMO. It will provide a look and feel which is similar to the Z5, but will produce a black level that is just a good deal better. The JVC models are well known for their long term reliability, phenomenal contrast, and overall excellent build quality.

If I were to buy a sub $2,000 projector - today - then this would be the one I would be looking at. If I were to go up to $3,000 I would get the RS46 from JVC.

Sony has some similar quality models in their lineup, and they are a great competitor, but while the AE8000 from Panasonic and the 5020 from Epson are definitely very good models, they simply do not match up with the JVC DLA series of projectors. Not really close in my experience.

3D glasses and the 3D emitter are not included at that price, so you generally have to purchase them separate if you want to go down that road.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for your input.

That looks to be a good price on a great projector, but the used, (slightly) visibly damaged, and warranty-less condition of the projector has me leery to say the least.'

At the moment the two I am considering the most are the (refurbished) Epson 5010, and the BenQ W7000.

I am not sure why I never looked at the BenQ W7000, it is very close in price and performance (Based on reviews) to the 5010... Any thoughts on this option? (I know this has been discussed and debated all over, but all the comparisons and debating have left me even more confused)
I am hoping that some owners of these projectors will come forward with their experiences.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-02-2013, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Shadow View Post

My only remaining concerns are: The age of the projector (it is a few years old), the fact that it is a refurb (I am reading the separate thread), the price of the 3d glasses (reading the threads looking at PS3 glasses), and LCD vs DLP (it seems most new projectors are DLP...).

You mention the PS3 glasses. If you go with the 5010 I would take a look at these:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-EW3D3MU-Active-Shutter-Eyewear/dp/B0058SYDTI

I had a 3010 and tried the PS3, Epson, and Panasonic 3D glasses. The Epsons were big, clunky, and uncomfortable to all who tried them. The PS3 glasses were big, uncomfortable, reflective (think rear-view mirrors), and altered the color of the image. No one ever made it through a full movie without complaining about them. The Panasonics were light (less than one ounce), comfortable, and performed just like the Epsons. They were everyone's favorite. Good luck with your search.

post #9 of 11 Old 08-02-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know, thanks. The PS3 glasses looked bulky....

You said you had a 3010, what are you using now, and why did you switch?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just returned my BenQ W1070 and bought a refurbished 5010.
I loved the little guy, it' bright, sharp and much easier on the eye when installed in the living room but rainbows killed me. I am still tweaking the 5010 but overall it feels like a step up. Picture has deeper blacks and the overall quality is higher.

I find 3D on the 5010 to be superb, I bought PS3 glasses that don;t feel bulky to me at all for $16 a pair which is pretty amazing considering the fact that the alternatives cost $89 or more.

Good luck!
post #11 of 11 Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Shadow View Post

Good to know, thanks. The PS3 glasses looked bulky....

You said you had a 3010, what are you using now, and why did you switch?

Epson sent me a 3020 after some issues with my 3010 while under warranty. The 3020 was a slight upgrade in both 2D and 3D picture quality. Even though the specs are similar, the 3020 has a sharper, more vibrant image. 3D is clean and bright, with a working iris and minimal crosstalk.

Although I don't see RBE, DLP does give me eye fatigue. Now, my wife and I can watch a 3 hr. 3D movie with no eye strain on the Epson.

Your list looks good. I read good things about Benq. My recommendation is to make sure you get a full manufacturer's warranty with whatever you choose.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Epson 5010 E Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector With Wirelesshd
Gear in this thread - V11h502020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page