BenQ W7500 - Full HD 3D - First preview and specifications coming from China - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 158 Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's one on Ebay if anyone really wants it. Not sure if it's a good deal or not @ $1825 with probably no warranty.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231288568364...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 158 Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently started getting banding issues as well. Most noticeably in Frozen and the Lego Movie.

Did you find a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgersic View Post
All,

Got the W7500, been working great then power outage and now get lots of color banding on it. I think something iun the setup got corrupted (did factory reset) but still banding. If someone has access to service menu, could they PM me how do so..got PJ from grey dealer so no warranty..

Thanks..
post #153 of 158 Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, there are a couple of issues at play.

First, my PJ did a spontaneous reset - I found out that Benq actually has a new firmware out to address that (1.02) which I have had applied.

Second, after that reset is when I got the color banding - the issue is that the reset also changes the Color Wheel Delay Index. I played with mine and after adjusting (by sight) the value, got it pretty spot-on with the banding gone.

I spoke with Benq, and have actually gotten a dialogue going with a tech there - after mentioning this to him he said "oh, so it is actually doing a 'hard' reset where it is even overwriting factory values". Apparently the CW delay index is set for each PJ individually as a calibration to the DMD chip - he could not provide a default value since it is different for each PJ.

At least on mine it was at a value of 114 after the spontaneous reset, and I adjusted to 130, again no banding and the colors are now terriffic.

Before you adjust anything, I would suggest you get the new firmware installed so that it does not occur again - then re-adjust as necessary.

-John
scoochie likes this.
post #154 of 158 Old 09-06-2014, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can anyone comment on rainbow artifacts with this projector in comparison to the W7000 or W1070?
The only DLP projector I've ever owned was the Acer H5360 (720p 3D ready) and I did experience quite noticeable rainbows whenever I quickly shifted my eyes to a different part of the screen. I now own a Panasonic AE7000 and I find the ghosting in 3D mode pretty bad, strangely it's worse in winter while being tolerable in summer.
post #155 of 158 Old 09-19-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, there are a couple of issues at play.

First, my PJ did a spontaneous reset - I found out that Benq actually has a new firmware out to address that (1.02) which I have had applied.

Second, after that reset is when I got the color banding - the issue is that the reset also changes the Color Wheel Delay Index. I played with mine and after adjusting (by sight) the value, got it pretty spot-on with the banding gone.

I spoke with Benq, and have actually gotten a dialogue going with a tech there - after mentioning this to him he said "oh, so it is actually doing a 'hard' reset where it is even overwriting factory values". Apparently the CW delay index is set for each PJ individually as a calibration to the DMD chip - he could not provide a default value since it is different for each PJ.

At least on mine it was at a value of 114 after the spontaneous reset, and I adjusted to 130, again no banding and the colors are now terriffic.

Before you adjust anything, I would suggest you get the new firmware installed so that it does not occur again - then re-adjust as necessary.

-John
John, Thanks for this useful post. This happened to me last night and I was freaking out. I made the adjustment and everything looks good again. I've never upgraded BenQ firmware before...do you have step by step instructions on how to do this and where I can find the 1.02 firmware for the W7500? I sent you a PM as well. Thanks again!

On another note - Is there any way to make the 3x CW setting stick compared to the default 2x CW. I see rainbows with the 2x but the 3x looks good to me..but I cannot get it to stick when I change refresh rates or restart the projector.

Last edited by scoochie; 09-19-2014 at 08:09 AM.
post #156 of 158 Old 09-19-2014, 09:08 AM

Benq Firmware

Glad that the info helped with your issue..as for the firmware, I wish I could be more help...'but'..Benq is very closed with it - they neither provide the means to update it, nor the firmware itself. In order for the firmware to be updated, the entire unit has to be shipped to Benq to process. The one positive is that if you call the technical support line (number is on their website), they will pre-pay the shipping of the unit to/from their California facility.

I know, it is pretty silly given everything else you can do at home and I voiced my discontent..They stated that it required 'specialized software' to perform the install and 'if not done properly the DMD chip could be damaged and the the PJ bricked'. As to how accurate that is, no clue.

At least in my experience, the entire turnaround for the unit shipped there/updated/shipped back was three days - they pay for actual 'overnight' shipping, so the pain was not that bad..

So all I can suggest is give the tech support a call, and tell them you need your PJ's firmware updated to 1.02..

Let me know how it goes,
John
post #157 of 158 Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Glad that the info helped with your issue..as for the firmware, I wish I could be more help...'but'..Benq is very closed with it - they neither provide the means to update it, nor the firmware itself. In order for the firmware to be updated, the entire unit has to be shipped to Benq to process. The one positive is that if you call the technical support line (number is on their website), they will pre-pay the shipping of the unit to/from their California facility.

I know, it is pretty silly given everything else you can do at home and I voiced my discontent..They stated that it required 'specialized software' to perform the install and 'if not done properly the DMD chip could be damaged and the the PJ bricked'. As to how accurate that is, no clue.

At least in my experience, the entire turnaround for the unit shipped there/updated/shipped back was three days - they pay for actual 'overnight' shipping, so the pain was not that bad..

So all I can suggest is give the tech support a call, and tell them you need your PJ's firmware updated to 1.02..

Let me know how it goes,
John
Thanks for the info John. Too bad we can't do this ourselves.
post #158 of 158 Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yesterday I got a chance to look at the BenQ W7500 at less than ideal conditions. It never ceases to amaze me how dealers can have a setup in a room that doesn't show the projector at its best. The projector was in a meeting room that did have complete light control (no windows) but the walls, ceiling and floor were all white, The screen was quite large-at least 120" diagonal if not more and the projector was about 17 feet back. It had not been calibrated.

I brought a movie with a lot of dark scenes-the blu-ray version of Harry Potter: The Deathly Hollows, part II. The dark scenes were somewhat disappointing-I expected better. Detail was hard to see. When we put in a blu-ray animated film (I didn't remember the title-something with Guardians) the color rendition was quite spectacular. There were some dark scenes and detail was much better.

The dealer was trying to obtain the Sony 40ES for me to look at. After I see this projector I'll report back.

Jefny

PS-Any other suggestions for movies to demo?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Benq America , Benq Corporation , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Iogear Wireless Hd 3d Digital Kit Wireless Hd 3d Digital Kit
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page