Signal degradation for long run HDMI cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys,

As I was reading some of my favorite threads, I heard rumors of HDMI losing quality when the cable 20'+ long. Is that correct? If so, is it really bad, or something only a videophile will notice? What would be the recommended solutions?

I'm looking at a 30' to 40' HDMI cable to run from my receiver to projector. So far, I was looking at the Monoprice Redmere cables and they seemed like they might do the job; however, I noticed they're not CL2 rated, brought that to the attention of my electrician, and he's encouraging me to investigate other options.

Thank you,

Jonathan

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 127
There work or they don't work. You either have a perfect picture, no picture, intermittent no picture or a weak signal picture with sparklies and noise.
Always hook up your new cable in the same manner in which you plan on using it when installed in the wall, and try it for a week or so using max resolution 1080p 24 or 3D to make sure you will have no issues before you install it in the wall. I to will be doing the same thing you are shortly and expect to buy the same cables. I just wish they made them in a 25' and 35' length.

The site says the cables are VW1 rated right above the read TIP: I am not sure that is the same as CL2 but worth looking into.

Down near the end VW1 is explained.
http://www.southwire.com/support/WaCblTermsRating.htm

Still not sure if that is the same..
jklick likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

There work or they don't work. You either have a perfect picture, no picture, intermittent no picture or a weak signal picture with sparklies and noise.
Always hook up your new cable in the same manner in which you plan on using it when installed in the wall, and try it for a week or so using max resolution 1080p 24 or 3D to make sure you will have no issues before you install it in the wall. I to will be doing the same thing you are shortly and expect to buy the same cables. I just wish they made them in a 25' and 35' length.

The site says the cables are VW1 rated right above the read TIP: I am not sure that is the same as CL2 but worth looking into.

Down near the end VW1 is explained.
http://www.southwire.com/support/WaCblTermsRating.htm

Still not sure if that is the same..

Good catch on the VW1 rating. I'll run that by my electrician. Also, a great idea to run the cable outside the wall first.

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone."
post #4 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklick View Post

Hey guys,

As I was reading some of my favorite threads, I heard rumors of HDMI losing quality when the cable 20'+ long. Is that correct? If so, is it really bad, or something only a videophile will notice? What would be the recommended solutions?

I'm looking at a 30' to 40' HDMI cable to run from my receiver to projector. So far, I was looking at the Monoprice Redmere cables and they seemed like they might do the job; however, I noticed they're not CL2 rated, brought that to the attention of my electrician, and he's encouraging me to investigate other options.

Thank you,

Jonathan

I've been using regular 24AWG/CL2 HDMI cable from Monoprice for about 2 1/2 years with no issues including 3D. Total length is about 45' with 2 couplers. The Redmere cable would be easier to work with though.

Hope this helps.

Ed
jklick likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

I've been using regular 24AWG/CL2 HDMI cable from Monoprice for about 2 1/2 years with no issues including 3D. Total length is about 45' with 2 couplers. The Redmere cable would be easier to work with though.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Thank you. This is promising feedback.

post #6 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklick View Post

Thank you. This is promising feedback.[/quote

You're welcome! I bet the regular 24awg cable will work fine for you.

Ed
post #7 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 369
If you are cabling to a projector run the highest gauge Monoprice HDMI cable you can, run 2-3 pieces of cat-6 cable, and power. This will protect you for the future.

I've used Monoprice high gauge HDMI cables at 50+ feet without issue at all. You may get very visible signal loss, but if that is the case, then you can use a HDMI over cat-6 solution (HD-Base-T) which WILL work, and the cat-6 will protect you for the future.

Or, run conduit.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Another thumbs up for Monoprice HDMI cables. 45feet... NO issues whatsoever.

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #9 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 PM

Liked: 13
I happened to own a hdmi to VGA adapter. I then use cat5 to VGA adapters to run 75' in the back yard over 1 cat5. Looks a lot better that I would have expected. I also don't use it enough to get wound up about it.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page