ValueView RF 3D glasses for Epson 5020, 3020, Samsung, Panasonic, etc (Mini Review) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-03-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I ordered and received two pairs of ValueView 3D glasses from Amazon. I ordered these to use with my Epson 3020. These are RF glasses and are reported to work with Epson, Samsung, and Panasonic TV's/projectors.
http://www.amazon.com/ValueView-Glasses-SAMSUNG%C2%AE-Rechargeable-PAIRS/dp/B00C7YT3OQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375554059&sr=8-1&keywords=valueview

They work but are over-all are not that good.

The Good:
The glasses work as advertised: have rechargeable batteries, and come with USB cable. 3D images appear almost or just as clear and good as with Epson original glasses. Recognized by projector right away and registered. So that's very good!!!

The Bad:
Cheap construction: I am almost certain that hinges where support arms are attached will break after some use. so I am already planning to either keep these in open position and also looking for a tape to use to repair when these will break frown.gif Looking at that section in detail, you get the feel as if these are cheap dollar store type glasses. Over-all finish is also not of high quality. Cheapness and cheap-knock-off feeling is oozing out from all over. The USB connector for glasses is not the standard one (i.e. the one used by almost all cell phones now a days) so if you need a spare cable, you will have to look a little hard to find it.

The ugly:
There is no cover on the side of the glasses so ambient light and peripheral vision is free to wander in and it makes a big difference in your eyes' unhindered ability to be able to focus and enjoy just the 3D image. I knew what I was getting as the product image is all over the place but I didn't know it would make such a big difference. Now I know why most all 3D glasses are designed with support arms also doubling as "shade".
Also, the glasses have to be worn really close to the eyes or you will see doubles (is that called ghosting?). Epson didn't have that problem and allowed me to move glasses back and forth on my nose (when one spot got "tired" due to weight) a little. ValueView was much more sensitive to the location where it sat on the bridge so it was kind of annoying.

Over all: I would say 3.5 out of 5. But not 4 or 5 out of 5. There is a review post by someone on this forum and also on Amazon singing huge praises of these glasses so I just wanted to post this letting you know that (in IMHO) it is not all that good... The impression I got was that even though these are a third or quarter of the Epson glasses' price, these were better. Not so. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!! Technically speaking, these work but have other issues which must be taken into consideration as they add up to the over-all experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-03-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 120
These inexpensive 3D glasses are being sold as an alternative to the slightly cheaper Samsung glasses that sell for $19/pair. The similar styled Samsung glass do not have a rechargeable battery nor a case and are also not that sturdy. Both the Samsung and ValueView offer a great, low priced, solution for when you need several pairs for occasional use when friends visit or you don't trust the kids with the $100 Epson (or Panasonic) glasses. As for the connector on the ValueView glasses, they are one of the several different styles of standard USB connectors (I have seen this one used on some cell phones, as have been virtually all of the other mini and micro styles of USB connectors).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 7 Old 08-03-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I agree; as an alternative to even cheaper Samsung glasses, these are probably not bad because these have rechargable batteries. I do, however, have on my list to pick up a pair of Samsung glasses and will post back my impressions.

I built an impression that these are a better option than ordering two additional Epson glasses. These weren't. Given the job these are bought for, I would say that any 3D glasses which do not block the side light and do not control the perpheral vision should be passed over. I wish I knew that before.

Having said all this, I would still keep these and not return to Amazon as these do get the job done and 3D viewing is actually not bad--on par with Epson's original glasses. I only posted this in case someone is going to invest in these as real alternative or for serious everyday use by family members. They ought to know what they are getting.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-04-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 120
The same company that sells the ValueView glass also have some higher priced models ($50), called 3Active, that do block light from the sides and are said to be higher quality. HERE is the Amazon link. Also both glasses, along with the Epsons, were reviewed by another forum in the 5020ub owner's thread HERE.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 7 Old 08-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
you may want to try the new truedepth,they work very good,and are compatible with most tv models including 2013 ones,you can order them directly from truedepth.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

I may be showing my ignorance by this comment but it appears that truedepth are not RF glasses (unless IR or DLP-Link are RF) which Epson 3020 and 5020 need.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by badshah2000 View Post

I may be showing my ignorance by this comment but it appears that truedepth are not RF glasses (unless IR or DLP-Link are RF) which Epson 3020 and 5020 need.
no,not at all,you are right ,they are ir,to makeup for my mistake,have a look

http://www.xpand.me/products/xpand-3d-glasses-lite-ir-rf/
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h501020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page