BENQ W1070 Shelf Mount Alignment with Dropdown Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-03-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've got quite a job here with so many factors against me in this temp install, but I'm SO close and am hoping there might be a miracle fix.

As the title says, I've got my BENQ W1070 rear shelf mounted, upside down, at the back of the room throwing onto an electric drop down screen.

I've got some height issues at the shelf mount point, so there are limits to where the projector can be, height-wise, as opposed to the screen (ceiling is lower at the mount point than the top of the screen). As such, I've had to tilt the front of the projector up ever so slightly higher than the rear.

Is that the reason I'm seeing a trapezoidal image, with the top slightly wider than the bottom? Is this a symptom of a projector that is tilted slightly upward?

Keystone seems to severe of an adjustment to fix this even though I think just a SLIGHT amount might right it.

If anyone wouldn't mind weighing in, after looking at the images, I'd sure appreciate it (the drawing is a bit severe but just to illustrate it in simplest terms).

I have plenty of tricks in the way of self-stick feet, coins, etc as far as raising any of the 4 corners up, though I have only around an inch more of height above the shelf I can go before the projector hits the ceiling.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-03-2013, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, the front of projector is tilted upwards and the projector is not level. A few options.

Lower the front back to where it is level and try to move the screen up or down a little if you can to align it.
Raise the rear of projector. You said that you don't have enough room but given the distance from screen, an inch worth of room that you have is really a *lot*!
Level the projector and use the built in lens shift (this projector has vertical lens shift)
Level the projector and don't worry about it. Most movies have black bars top and bottom and you won't even know the slight misalignment.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Knowing that the projector needs to be exactly level to eliminate the trapezoid shape is helpful. I'll get it as close to the ceiling as I can, and if it's still throwing an image that's too low, will have to try and get the keystone going (only 1 or 2 ticks hopefully won't be too harmful to the picture). Already maxxed out the lens shift to lower the image, I was surprised that it didn't go as far as I'd liked, though it's still better than nothing.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I had this issue with my first projector. I solved it by using a ball joint speaker mount. Something like this:

Speaker Mount Bracket

I fastened a wood plate to the speaker mount, then fastened the projector to the wood plate. I cut the wood plate so that the minimal amount of wood would be needed to get the job done (just enough to cover the screw holes to fasten the projector to it). Then the speaker mount was fastened to a single L-bracket (here is an example). Because the holes on the L-bracket did not line up with the holes on the speaker mount, I fastened a small strip of wood to the L-bracket that the ball joint could be screw into. Then it was painted black. The speaker mount's ball joint allowed full pivot positioning to square the image. The speaker mount's small profile looked like a finished commercial product. This should allow you to eliminate the use of keystone adjustment which no projector owner should ever use.

In your case, since you have the shelf mounted already, get the ball joint speaker mount, fasten it to the underside of your self. Make a mounting plate for your projector to fasten it to the speaker mount. When you are finally ready to install, about the only hard thing is getting your hand into to tighten down/fasten the two joint pieces together on the mount because of the limited space under the shelf and the projector. It would be easier if you got rid of the shelf and just used an L-bracket; more room for your hand to work in.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

HTPC: Intel NUC (DC53427HYE) running OpenELEC/Win7 Dual Boot
Projector: Optoma HD131Xe
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
Screen: Elite Spectrum Electric 125"
Media Server: NAS4Free Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz
post #5 of 6 Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Also, with your height issues, you can screw from the top of the L-bracket into a slender block of wood (either a 1x2 or 2x2) to drop your projector down a bit, then screw up into the slender block of wood the speaker mount. That should solve your height issues. Get rid of the shelf entirely.

HTPC: Intel NUC (DC53427HYE) running OpenELEC/Win7 Dual Boot
Projector: Optoma HD131Xe
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
Screen: Elite Spectrum Electric 125"
Media Server: NAS4Free Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz
post #6 of 6 Old 11-01-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

A couple months later, I think I at least have it to a point I can live with. Got as close to the ceiling as I could with the drop. I used some cheap adhesive rubber foam discs to cheat the projector as close to the ceiling as I could. It sits upside down on the shelf.

Because the ceiling is lower where the projector is mounted compared to where the screen is, I had to do a slight upward tilt and use one extra disc on the two corners closest to the screen, and then use a -2 keystone to compensate for that. The result is a nearly perfect grid (just a WEE bit of trapezoid in the lower right corner but that may be more due to the dropdown screen). Overall, given the temporary nature of this (maybe a year or so until I hopefully move to a place I can built an actual theater), given the limitations of this projector, the lower ceiling, and all that, it's not bad. I wish I hadn't had to do the keystone but at least I had that option, plus the slight bit of lens shift, to make it work in this setup, something I was worried I might not be able to do after using Epsons with full lens shift so many years.

Thanks again.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page