Buying 3rd projector; stay entry level or splurge a little? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-03-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've owned the Panasonic PT-AE900U and an Optoma HD-65 but got rid of both over the years. Well, I'm coming back to projectors again.

Want great black levels and contrast
My chief "complaint" about both projectors was the black level and contrast were really weak. Like most other AVSers, I'm considering the W1070, HD-25 and Epson 8350.

The problem is all those are entry-level projectors. I feel like I've been there/done that with entry level. BUT, I don't want to invest extra in a mid-level projector if I'm not going to get a good return on my investment (namely impressive black levels and contrast).

Do mid-range PJs significantly improve black level/contrast?
So for those of you who have made the "upgrade" from entry level, did you see enough of an improvement in black levels and contrast to justify the expense? (If so, which mid-range projector did you buy?) Or, do you have to upgrade to $3K projectors to see impressive black levels?

FYI, for me mid-range = $1500-ish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-04-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Birddoggin,

I have the 8350, and while the ANSI contrast is OK, but the on/off is nothing to write home about. I'm coming from CRT though.

For a little more than your budget, avscience.com has b-stock of the RS-4800. For a little less than your budget, Epson has the 8500UB refurbs. I've seen both, and the on/off is significantly better than the 8350.

Jonathan
post #3 of 4 Old 08-07-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 566
this year I started looking at a new projector to improve the blacks and contrast on my old one. I started off looking at stuff like the Epsom 3020, which quickly led to the 5020, and then I eventually ended up with a jvc x35 and i'm so happy I spent the extra money.

the way I see it, you need to buy as high of quality as it takes to make you happy, or you might as well save your money and buy nothing. 3k for a great product is a much better value than 1500 for something you won't enjoy using.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 4 Old 08-07-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhite View Post

Birddoggin,

I have the 8350, and while the ANSI contrast is OK, but the on/off is nothing to write home about. I'm coming from CRT though.

For a little more than your budget, avscience.com has b-stock of the RS-4800. For a little less than your budget, Epson has the 8500UB refurbs. I've seen both, and the on/off is significantly better than the 8350.

Jonathan

Thanks for the B stock suggestion. I did consider buying b-stock or refurb, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

this year I started looking at a new projector to improve the blacks and contrast on my old one. I started off looking at stuff like the Epsom 3020, which quickly led to the 5020, and then I eventually ended up with a jvc x35 and i'm so happy I spent the extra money.

the way I see it, you need to buy as high of quality as it takes to make you happy, or you might as well save your money and buy nothing. 3k for a great product is a much better value than 1500 for something you won't enjoy using.

I hear what you're saying. I agree in theory, but we just had some unexpected expenses, and our A/C is on the fritz, so instead of buying b-stock/refurb, I've purchased an Optoma 131Xe for half the price of a refurb. At 18000:1 contrast ratio, I expect the 131Xe to be a great improvement over my old HD65. If it isn't, I'll return it and buy a refurb of a high-end PJ.

Thanks.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae900u Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd65 Plus 720p Dlp Projector With Backpack And Speakers , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page