Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2882 Old 10-14-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidd View Post

The difference is in the PCB. The firmware recognizes an onboard identifier t display the appropriate options. This allows Optima to essentially deliver multiple products from one reference design. This is usually accomplished by the placement of a rice grain sized resister in a unique location on the board.
Thats one possiblity. I have rarely seen this before too on products I service...but I doubt this is the case for 300 extra advertised lumens and 10% contrast increase? These numbers would be unnoticable by viewers if they existed. Still it is possible.... wish someone would compare them side by side.
And of course theres still the matter of both projectors being the same HDVENUE model name on the identification sticker..... in fact I cannot find any reference to hd131xe anywhere in any menu or on the unit...am I missing something? if it wasnt for the box it came in I wouldnt know what model I got!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2882 Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVSTAR View Post

What do you have the projector plugged into? I've seen problems like this when plugged into a bad outlet--ie. the ground is actually a neutral wire used as a ground, or you got hit with a spike or some other electrical fluctuation. Are you using a good power conditioner? Or the projector is mounted too close the ceiling--about 4 inches is the minimum otherwise they can suck in their own heat. Or could be a bad unit.
Its actually just sitting on the table with nothing around it, as I haven't gotten around to mounting it yet. It was plugged in directly to an A/C outlet, but for permanent use I will put it on a surge protector/conditioner.

I hadn't thought of a power blip causing an issue, but after unplugging the unit (after leaving it sit for a few hours to cool) and plugging it back in, it hasn't given me another temp/fan failure error. *crosses fingers*
post #543 of 2882 Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I may make this my entry into projectors, the price to size ratio of flat panels is just too much for me to upgrade past my 70" Sharp.

I'll be giving the thread a full read shortly.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #544 of 2882 Old 10-14-2013, 02:53 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I may make this my entry into projectors, the price to size ratio of flat panels is just too much for me to upgrade past my 70" Sharp.

I'll be giving the thread a full read shortly.

Yeah, that's where I was when I got in to FP's. I was looking at spending 1K when I decided on my first HT experience beyond an SD tube set. I had a home stereo and found an excellent deal on a 720P LCD FP at Circuit City when they were closing. I took the chance and have been sold on FP since. Then last spring while I was taking time away from my career to pursue further education, the dust blobs got to be too much for me and I ended up killing my EX70. I couldn't afford a new FP at the time and used the money I had set aside for a new bulb to by a 39" Tosh LCD. I've been wanting a new FP, but have had other priorities and it took a back seat. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and my wife tells me she wants our living room back the way it was FP and all. Bonus, she said she's going to buy me a new projector for my birthday. Now I'm looking at ~$2600 total for 135"+upgraded audio when I couldn't do any better than 75" in a flat screen at that price.

post #545 of 2882 Old 10-14-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Just finished the thread, my only question is what kind of bulb does this projector use? Amazon's description said LED but reading the thread it seems that it isn't.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #546 of 2882 Old 10-14-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

It is not LED.... amazons site is wrong. I saw that when I started looking as well...LED projectors are no where near as bright andywhere near this price range... this unit uses a very long life low wattage efficient 190w bulb good fo up to 6,000 hours in econo mode with dynamic black turned on....(thats like 4 hours a day for 6 years I think) replacement bulbs are roughly $150 which is on the cheaper end of the spectrum.
post #547 of 2882 Old 10-14-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I really need to read up on the differences between LCD and DLP and LED vs the normal Lamps, I am completely out of my element here. (Flat panel guy since 2007) I'm pretty much clueless here. tongue.gif

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #548 of 2882 Old 10-14-2013, 07:22 PM

Hi. Just set up my new hd131e, and am knocked out with the pic quality. I also used the calibration mentioned in the very early posts. However has anyone noticed the numbers for cyan and magenta are identical at 27,16,4. What are the odds for that.
post #549 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 05:44 AM

OK so i need some HELP!!

I purchased a HD131Xe and it arrived today.

I plugged it all in, fired it up, and all I got was a very dim grey and grainy screen. The Optoma logo (when the unit starts up) is very light and dim, and then once it starts up its so dim, out of focus (and i tried zoom and focus rings....just doesnt work enough to bring it in focus), and grainy that you cant even make out the menu.

Even when I start my Blueray player up, the blue panasonic screen is very pale (almost grey with limited/no blue) and you cant even make out the 'Panasonic' logo (or that its there in the first place).

I have no idea what it could be.......Trouble Shooting on the Optoma website doesnt really cover any of these issues.

Can anyone help?
post #550 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

how far away is the screen and your projector is square and level with the screen surface right? You cant set the project pointing up or down on an agle and get good focus without using keystone option and even that is not advised.... It takes a good 30-50 second for the bulb to warm up and reach brightness on startup... The grey looking screen sound like it may be a poor connection via hdmi cable... how does the colors look on the menu box? can you focus that? remember the outside ring is to focus and the wheel is for zooming the screen larger or smaller...

also try turning off all your components and turning them on with everything plugged in to get the proper hdmi handshake ...sometimes this can cause weird video signal issues.
post #551 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I really need to read up on the differences between LCD and DLP and LED vs the normal Lamps, I am completely out of my element here. (Flat panel guy since 2007) I'm pretty much clueless here. tongue.gif
theres lots of threads here explaining the differences.... basically dlps have a weakness called "rainbows" supposedly less than 10% of the population can see them although ironically most of them seem to be members here tongue.gif .... if you dont see them or arent bothered by seeing them than dlp is a better choice for advantages over most lcd,s in the same price range... but even that is subject to opinions of owners..... LED projectors, the way I understand it , are still young tech and are not very bright.... most of them you see on ebay and such are poor quality no name low resolution units....
post #552 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

how far away is the screen and your projector is square and level with the screen surface right? You cant set the project pointing up or down on an agle and get good focus without using keystone option and even that is not advised.... It takes a good 30-50 second for the bulb to warm up and reach brightness on startup... The grey looking screen sound like it may be a poor connection via hdmi cable... how does the colors look on the menu box? can you focus that? remember the outside ring is to focus and the wheel is for zooming the screen larger or smaller...

also try turning off all your components and turning them on with everything plugged in to get the proper hdmi handshake ...sometimes this can cause weird video signal issues.

Thanks for your reponse. That image quality (ie very light grey...almost no contrast) is the same if its the menu/start up of the projector (with no HDMI) or if its the BD playing. I cant make any menues out....I can barely even see the 'OPTOMA' sign when it fires up....and I mean barely...and thats in a pitch black room.

its not the distance or focus ring....I tried the focus ring and it does go from blury to somewhat focused....but there is just no contrast that all the words blend together. For instance, unles you look very closely, you dont even know there is a menu section being projected (it just looks like a blank screen).
post #553 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoger View Post

Thanks for your reponse. That image quality (ie very light grey...almost no contrast) is the same if its the menu/start up of the projector (with no HDMI) or if its the BD playing. I cant make any menues out....I can barely even see the 'OPTOMA' sign when it fires up....and I mean barely...and thats in a pitch black room.

its not the distance or focus ring....I tried the focus ring and it does go from blury to somewhat focused....but there is just no contrast that all the words blend together. For instance, unles you look very closely, you dont even know there is a menu section being projected (it just looks like a blank screen).

You should be able to get the menu and see the logo without any source plugged in. I think you got a bad unit and should return for a replacement.
post #554 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:

You should be able to get the menu and see the logo without any source plugged in. I think you got a bad unit and should return for a replacement.

Well I now have a Lamp Failure error......Red Lamp light and flashing Power light (orange). Returning the unit for replacement. Hopefully the second unit is better.....
post #555 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM

Some of you asked to see my setup. Here are a couple of picks of my 159" Dalite Highpower screen (floor to ceiling in my basement), and the projector, which is about 1.5 feet from the ceiling to increase the gain for the audience. The lights are on--so that is a reflection of the projector and a ceiling light just forward of the projector if you are wondering. The ceiling is 7.5 feet from the floor, and the screen is about 12 feet wide.

Click on the images so see a larger image.

Slydragon and The enquirer like this.
post #556 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been playing around with an ND2 Filter i got off ebay for $10 shipped. If anyone is curious, 77mm threading fits right over the lens/focus ring of the Optoma without any modifications. I might pick up a wide-angle rubber lens hood so that it is a little more secure and is sitting on the focus ring a little further in.

I used this one from Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150891103394?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 . It says 'Coastar 77mm ND2' filter. I imagine there are better more expensive options (like Hoya HMC or BW), but this was the cheapest glass and worth a shot at $10 for me.

Unfortunately I dont have any calibration equipment, so i've just been 'eyeballing' what I think looks ok. The ND2 filter is supposed to cut light output by 50%, and i do notice slightly better black levels. My room is far from ideal though, so YMMV. Using an 85" Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3gain Fixed Frame in my Living Room area, which is about 16x12. The ND2 filter has definitely tamed it and bright scenes are no longer an eyesore for me. My screen is probably brighter than most people here as it is on the small side, and higher gain outside of HiPower screens.

Without the ND2 filter, Even with BrilliantColor 1, and Brightness dialed down a few notches, the projector was still eye-scortching at nighttime viewing in certain bright-scenes.

I have been using these calibration settings as a baseline opposed to the other ones posted earlier. On my setup, it seems to look better for me. I have brightness dialed down a few notches and gamma set to either Graphics or Video along with Color Space set to YUV. My output source is my HTPC doing 4:4:4 via HDMI. For some reason I lose 'color' and 'tint' settings if I output on RGB mode.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/18792314-post1.html

Sidenote: 770 hours on my bulb now, and its still very bright tongue.gif
post #557 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 AM

OPTOMA HD131Xe lens problem.

Bad news, confirmed with Optoma that the HD131Xe has a lens defect that results in focus problems in the top-left and bottom-right corner. They said this is a known issue and that I can RMA the unit to have them replace the lens. It's not so bad when watching video but noticeable if you have text / computer desktop / etc...

I bought the project from Amazon 2 weeks ago ... here's the chat transcript:

xxxxxxxxxx: Thank you for contacting Optoma Technology. How may I assist you?
xxxxxxxxxx: sorry about that
xxxxxxxxxx: we were having technical problems
xxxxxxxxxx: yes, this is a known issue
xxxxxxxxxx: we are able to replace the lens
You: does this mean I have to send my unit ?
xxxxxxxxxx: Simply go to http://www.optomausa.com/support/rma and complete the “In Warranty Service/RMA Procedure” and you’ll be good to go!
xxxxxxxxxx: unfortunatly yes frown.gif

for now I opted for returning my unit to Amazon and getting a full refund. I'm either going to wait until Optoma addresses the problems with this projector or end up buying a different model. So sad.

ps, I also noticed that my image is a little purple/dull when the projector is turned on ... a few seconds later the colors suddenly change and it's fine.... they said they would take care of that too though I don't know if this is also a known/common problem that affects all their units.

You: when I start the projector ... the image is a little purple
You: then after about 5 seconds the colors change to normal
You: is this normal ?
xxxxxxxxxx: no, this will also be resolved when you send in the unit smile.gif
You: is this a known problem too ?
post #558 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadius View Post

ps, I also noticed that my image is a little purple/dull when the projector is turned on ... a few seconds later the colors suddenly change and it's fine.... they said they would take care of that too though I don't know if this is also a known/common problem that affects all their units.

You: when I start the projector ... the image is a little purple
You: then after about 5 seconds the colors change to normal
You: is this normal ?
xxxxxxxxxx: no, this will also be resolved when you send in the unit smile.gif
You: is this a known problem too ?

Mine has always done this. I figured if it would lead to something bad, it would have happened by now. Regarding the lens, that problem has been mentioned by several posters on here already. I can't speak for anyone else, but I never use my 131Xe for computer stuff, just blu-rays and TV, so the lens problem is not even detectable for me.
post #559 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post

Mine has always done this. I figured if it would lead to something bad, it would have happened by now. Regarding the lens, that problem has been mentioned by several posters on here already. I can't speak for anyone else, but I never use my 131Xe for computer stuff, just blu-rays and TV, so the lens problem is not even detectable for me.
same here...noticed with my last couple optoma projectors... its normal... unfortunatly optoma customer service are only dealing with the info they have and at times its up to the assumptions of the reps..... I bet you could call back today and maybe get the rep that told clark17 they know of the optics issue but have no fix as of yet....
mine isnt even enough of a problem to worry about sending back and having no unit for weeks...
post #560 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some of you asked to see my setup. Here are a couple of picks of my 159" Dalite Highpower screen (floor to ceiling in my basement), and the projector, which is about 1.5 feet from the ceiling to increase the gain for the audience. The lights are on--so that is a reflection of the projector and a ceiling light just forward of the projector if you are wondering. The ceiling is 7.5 feet from the floor, and the screen is about 12 feet wide.

Click on the images so see a larger image.

FYI if you pull the bottom of the screen back toward the wall behind it to match the angle of the projector you can set the keystone back to 0 and also reflect more of the viewing cone/gain to the viewers as well... not to mention it will deflect less light onto the white ceiling this way improving blacks a bit.
post #561 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:

FYI if you pull the bottom of the screen back toward the wall behind it to match the angle of the projector you can set the keystone back to 0 and also reflect more of the viewing cone/gain to the viewers as well... not to mention it will deflect less light onto the white ceiling this way improving blacks a bit.

Yeah, I've known about that, but would require I mount the screen out from the wall and my projector will need to be mounted further back because it is at max zoom now. We'll see if I have the time and patience to do it. It really doesn't bother me that much. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
post #562 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:

same here...noticed with my last couple optoma projectors... its normal... unfortunatly optoma customer service are only dealing with the info they have and at times its up to the assumptions of the reps..... I bet you could call back today and maybe get the rep that told clark17 they know of the optics issue but have no fix as of yet....
mine isnt even enough of a problem to worry about sending back and having no unit for weeks...

I spoke to couple of reps today and all confirmed that it is a known issue and they are now replacing lenses. Even got info from Senior Director of Customer Service that the Canadian servicing center in Richmond Hill, ON will not be receiving the replacement lenses for another two weeks.
So far I'm extremely happy with Optoma's customer service. They have been very helpful and flexible. I changed my mind about sending the unit back to Amazon and will instead have Optoma replace the lens.

As for the people saying they don't mind the focus issue. I agree that it isn't really noticeable when watching video but it will keep bugging me knowing that I have a bad lens ... might as well get it fixed! and what's to say it wont improve overall image quality...
post #563 of 2882 Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:

I spoke to couple of reps today and all confirmed that it is a known issue and they are now replacing lenses. Even got info from Senior Director of Customer Service that the Canadian servicing center in Richmond Hill, ON will not be receiving the replacement lenses for another two weeks.
So far I'm extremely happy with Optoma's customer service. They have been very helpful and flexible. I changed my mind about sending the unit back to Amazon and will instead have Optoma replace the lens.

As for the people saying they don't mind the focus issue. I agree that it isn't really noticeable when watching video but it will keep bugging me knowing that I have a bad lens ... might as well get it fixed! and what's to say it wont improve overall image quality...

Let us know if you see improvement.
post #564 of 2882 Old 10-16-2013, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miwo View Post

I've been playing around with an ND2 Filter i got off ebay for $10 shipped. If anyone is curious, 77mm threading fits right over the lens/focus ring of the Optoma without any modifications. I might pick up a wide-angle rubber lens hood so that it is a little more secure and is sitting on the focus ring a little further in.

I used this one from Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150891103394?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 . It says 'Coastar 77mm ND2' filter. I imagine there are better more expensive options (like Hoya HMC or BW), but this was the cheapest glass and worth a shot at $10 for me.

Unfortunately I dont have any calibration equipment, so i've just been 'eyeballing' what I think looks ok. The ND2 filter is supposed to cut light output by 50%, and i do notice slightly better black levels. My room is far from ideal though, so YMMV. Using an 85" Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3gain Fixed Frame in my Living Room area, which is about 16x12. The ND2 filter has definitely tamed it and bright scenes are no longer an eyesore for me. My screen is probably brighter than most people here as it is on the small side, and higher gain outside of HiPower screens.

Without the ND2 filter, Even with BrilliantColor 1, and Brightness dialed down a few notches, the projector was still eye-scortching at nighttime viewing in certain bright-scenes.

I have been using these calibration settings as a baseline opposed to the other ones posted earlier. On my setup, it seems to look better for me. I have brightness dialed down a few notches and gamma set to either Graphics or Video along with Color Space set to YUV. My output source is my HTPC doing 4:4:4 via HDMI. For some reason I lose 'color' and 'tint' settings if I output on RGB mode.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/18792314-post1.html

Sidenote: 770 hours on my bulb now, and its still very bright tongue.gif

You're doing this wrong bud. Throw out the ND2 filter and get a bigger screen. Dissappates light better. LoLoLoL! On a side note, good info on the lens threading size.
post #565 of 2882 Old 10-16-2013, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I hope they actually fix your unit rather than swap it out for another RMA'ed unit.
post #566 of 2882 Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Great news in a way... I wonder if Optoma is clearing bad inventory and will start shipping fixed units.. Maybe will be able to tell by serial number. One of the reason why I paid premium for my HD25e (from local costco) was 90 days no questions asked return policy. I might just return the projector in before my 90 days are up and get new one (hopefully with fixed lens). This would be much better than sending projector to get lens fixed. I'm using PC (desktop) and I won't be lying to you guys it does bother me a little bit. Not to the point I will return the unit, but still I would love to get uniform focus, especially if Optoma admited there is a problem. Costco won’t care and will send this to manufacture, which will probably fix the lens and sell the unit as refurb.

Fadius thanks for sharing the info. :-)
post #567 of 2882 Old 10-16-2013, 07:13 AM

Liked: 90
Hello - This lack of uniform focus is a concern. I have received my HD131xe but not mounted it yet. I'll do so soon. But my needs are as a computer monitor as well as a Home Theater display. My question: Is anyone "happily" using the HD131xe as a computer monitor?
And I think perhaps the best solution would be to return the PJ to Amazon and wait until the lens is proper in currently shipped units.
post #568 of 2882 Old 10-16-2013, 07:20 AM

I don't understand how the lens issue would not be noticeable when watching TV or blu-rays. If there is a close up of a face, wouldn't the face look fuzzy in the problem areas? Also, most sports and news channels have that scrolling ticker at the bottom of the screen. I see no difference in font focus from one end to the other.
post #569 of 2882 Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Hello - This lack of uniform focus is a concern. I have received my HD131xe but not mounted it yet. I'll do so soon. But my needs are as a computer monitor as well as a Home Theater display. My question: Is anyone "happily" using the HD131xe as a computer monitor?
And I think perhaps the best solution would be to return the PJ to Amazon and wait until the lens is proper in currently shipped units.

You cannot focus evenenly both upper left and lower bottom corners at the same time. If you try to meet the middle gorund, the end result will be having a tad softer corners.
It all depends how picky you are. During watching movies or playing games you won't notice it. Most people using hd131xe/hd25e won't even notice it...

Since we don't have details aobut when Optoma will ship units with fixed lenses, your unit might already indclude working lens...
post #570 of 2882 Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post

I don't understand how the lens issue would not be noticeable when watching TV or blu-rays. If there is a close up of a face, wouldn't the face look fuzzy in the problem areas? Also, most sports and news channels have that scrolling ticker at the bottom of the screen. I see no difference in font focus from one end to the other.

the problem is mostly visible in the top-left and bottom-right corners.

got o your projector settings and display the grid pattern, focus the center and you'll notice that the top-left and bottom-right corners are slightly out of focus. If you focus one of the corners the other gets worse...

the problem is not severe and would be very hard to notice on video... but if you have a desktop shown (say windows) you can notice that the tray bar (bottom-right) is a little fuzzy... or if it's focused, then you'll notice that an icon at the top-left corner is a little fuzzy.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page