Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreationz View Post

I know on the HD25-LV (the one I have), I can set ANY on screen picture as the logo. Also, I haven't tried using the USB to display an image(never seen a projector with USB that wouldn't display at least JPG images) and then save that as the logo, but know for certain it can have a custom logo(used a screenshot from a game system when I tried out the feature), but also don't know if it's stored at full res(AKA 1920x1080) and color detail(16bit vs 24bit vs 32bit, etc...)  or if it would be lost if the power is(flash vs ram). I guess it's something new for me to play with. smile.gif

Side thought: I wonder if it handles formats besides JPG as some do and if the logo would store "transparency".
yes my last couple optoma have had the option to store your own boot screen image....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 03:06 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:

I know on the HD25-LV (the one I have), I can set ANY on screen picture as the logo. Also, I haven't tried using the USB to display an image(never seen a projector with USB that wouldn't display at least JPG images) and then save that as the logo, but know for certain it can have a custom logo(used a screenshot from a game system when I tried out the feature), but also don't know if it's stored at full res(AKA 1920x1080) and color detail(16bit vs 24bit vs 32bit, etc...)  or if it would be lost if the power is(flash vs ram). I guess it's something new for me to play with. smile.gif

Side thought: I wonder if it handles formats besides JPG as some do and if the logo would store "transparency".
well I have tried doing some screen captures but I keep coming up with the logo capture failed and I don't know if it needs a VGA input perhaps instead of an HDMI.
In the manual it says the USB is for remote mouse function and firmware upgrade.
I'm not sure that about an image file yet but I'll give it a try. My projector is located in a cabinet and the back of it is hard to get to so it means I'll have to readjust the picture bit after I mess around in the USB area but I'll do it sometime.
post #903 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedelbach View Post

Most people who think they have a "funny lens" likely don't have it set up correctly.
This is a very assuming statement...

I guess its just a freak thing that its only happening with the models that share the same lens hardware and not the other budget projectors out there?

I Bet some people dont have it setup correctly as with many first time projector owners but "most" of us do.... I have owned plenty of projectors and set many up for friends...and I can tell you mine does in fact suffer from a couple corners being soft. Is it very noticable for me? No, but you can see it plain as day when looking for it while its displaying xbmc text..

Like I mentioned before depending on how much zoom a person may be using could very well be the different between seeing the defect or not.... and its very likely that not every unit go a bum lens... but if you go back to older reviews of the HD25 (not hd25e) you will see the mention of unusually soft corners even for a budget projector and that unit had the same optics.

plus there the fact that optoma is in fact accepting returns to have the bad lenses replaced.... if "most" units were fine you wouldnt see the 8 out of ten owners complaining about it here and elsewhere even before optoma fessed up....
post #904 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 10

good, The 1070 has a much shorter throw so make sure the one you want fits in your room.thanks

tt

post #905 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

For that and with the grid on screen(or wall as the case may be) you can use a weight on a string(AKA a plumb) and hold it so the top corner is projected at the string. The white line of the grid should follow the string all the way down. Do that with both sides and that covers two axis out of three(AKA level on the horizontal plane) and only one remains(AKA left/right). The final one can be checked by measuring the projected image at each side and ensuring both are equal. A final check of the length at the top and bottom of the grid will enure you did the first part right.

Great advice.
Measure 3 times, hang the screen once!
cheers
Kurt
post #906 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For that and with the grid on screen(or wall as the case may be) you can use a weight on a string(AKA a plumb) and hold it so the top corner is projected at the string. The white line of the grid should follow the string all the way down. Do that with both sides and that covers two axis out of three(AKA level on the horizontal plane) and only one remains(AKA left/right). The final one can be checked by measuring the projected image at each side and ensuring both are equal. A final check of the length at the top and bottom of the grid will enure you did the first part right.

Great advice.
Measure 3 times, hang the screen once!
cheers
Kurt
post #907 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

This is a very assuming statement...

I guess its just a freak thing that its only happening with the models that share the same lens hardware and not the other budget projectors out there?

I Bet some people dont have it setup correctly as with many first time projector owners but "most" of us do.... I have owned plenty of projectors and set many up for friends...and I can tell you mine does in fact suffer from a couple corners being soft. Is it very noticable for me? No, but you can see it plain as day when looking for it while its displaying xbmc text..

Like I mentioned before depending on how much zoom a person may be using could very well be the different between seeing the defect or not.... and its very likely that not every unit go a bum lens... but if you go back to older reviews of the HD25 (not hd25e) you will see the mention of unusually soft corners even for a budget projector and that unit had the same optics.

plus there the fact that optoma is in fact accepting returns to have the bad lenses replaced.... if "most" units were fine you wouldnt see the 8 out of ten owners complaining about it here and elsewhere even before optoma fessed up....

I have the soft corners in upper left and bottom right. Questioning owners of proper setup is fine, but don't assume all owners don't know what they are doing. Questioning their picture size measurements on edges can help. I know my screen size from edges, and soft corners come from bad lenses. I will be RMa'ing mine due to the small issue when used as htpc. Movies are unoticable.

It's hard to give up the new PJ, but I am tired of tweaking the focus for the type of HTPC viewing I am doing. Always changing the focus where I need it most, according to corners.

Mostly I have mine tweaked to a between focus of both corners, not perfect in either one, but the best compromise.

I am zoomed to approximately 1.07 according to the calculator according to measured screen size.
post #908 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgsx View Post

I have the soft corners in upper left and bottom right. Questioning owners of proper setup is fine, but don't assume all owners don't know what they are doing. Questioning their picture size measurements on edges can help. I know my screen size from edges, and soft corners come from bad lenses. I will be RMa'ing mine due to the small issue when used as htpc. Movies are unoticable.

It's hard to give up the new PJ, but I am tired of tweaking the focus for the type of HTPC viewing I am doing. Always changing the focus where I need it most, according to corners.

Mostly I have mine tweaked to a between focus of both corners, not perfect in either one, but the best compromise.

I am zoomed to approximately 1.07 according to the calculator according to measured screen size.
?
Why did you quote me? I feel the same way you do.
post #909 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

if "most" units were fine you wouldnt see the 8 out of ten owners complaining about it here and elsewhere even before optoma fessed up....
Doggie, where do you get thie "8 of out ten owners complaining" claim from?

Let's start a poll.
What do you think of this wording? Please feel free to suggest changes, I don't want a "leading" poll.

Poll question: "Does your HD25 or 131Xe have a "bad" lens?"

1st draft of wording:
Some owners of these PJ's are unsatisfied with the image, due to unacceptable focus/picture quality throughout the entire image area.
This usually is described as a "lens defect", whereby not all areas of the image are equally in focus i.e. if the center part of the image in perfectly focused, other area(s) are significantly "out of focus".
Please chose from the selections below, but if unsure please ask questions before voting.

Note: It's important that the projector is properly aligned with the image surface i.e. "square" with the screen. If you are at all unsure if your projector was aligned correctly, say so. Nobody will jump down your throat.
Screenshots are always good. You can move the menu around the screen, so take pics (macro mode on most cameras does a decent job of representing the pixel-by-pixel focus) of the menu at each corner, plus the center. See post 879 in the 131Xe thread for ones I took of mine.
Also please post your screen details, throw distance, source material and cabling.
If you've had correspondence with Optoma please post it.

Thanks for participating in this poll!

Sound good Doggie?
post #910 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 07:53 PM

I felt like you were pointing out that misalignment was the cause of the soft corners.

I love the PJ, just the current run of lenses are an potential upper left and bottom right issue.

HTPC users need to be aware of the potential issue.
post #911 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quick question before I buy some glasses. Would dlp link or rf glasses be easier to use for 6&7 year old? They like to watch movies together and if I'm working I don't want that phone call smile.gif
post #912 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let's start a poll.
What do you think of this wording? Please feel free to suggest changes, I don't want a "leading" poll.

1st draft of wording:
Some owners of these PJ's are unsatisfied with the image, due to unacceptable focus/picture quality throughout the entire image area.
This usually is described as a "lens defect", whereby not all areas of the image are equally in focus i.e. if the center part of the image in perfectly focused, other area(s) are significantly "out of focus".
Please chose from the selections below, but if unsure please ask questions before voting.

Note: It's important that the projector is properly aligned with the image surface i.e. "square" with the screen. If you are at all unsure if your projector was aligned correctly, say so. Nobody will jump down your throat.
Screenshots are always good. You can move the menu around the screen, so take pics (macro mode on most cameras does a decent job of representing the pixel-by-pixel focus) of the menu at each corner, plus the center. See post 879 in the 131Xe thread for ones I took of mine.
Also please post your screen details, throw distance, source material and cabling.

Sound good Doggie?
see thats the thing... users have already mentioned it on different related threads here and at least two members already posted the "correspondence with optoma"
y6ou just need to go back and actually read the whole thread and the other hd25e threads to see it.
post #913 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I felt like you were pointing out that misalignment was the cause of the soft corners.

I love the PJ, just the current run of lenses are an upper left and bottom right issue.

Please take a look at the screen shots I posted in #879. This is the menu in the 131, so it's pixel-by-pixel "perfect".
Does this look "soft" in the upper left and bottom right to you? Honest question, I'm comparing it against a 7 year old Sanyo 1080P LCD projector with less-than-perfect convergence (that I enjoyed watching TV and blu-rays on for 7 years, FWIW).

Why should HTPC users be especially aware of "soft" corners? Excel spreadsheets that take up the entire screen, viewed at close distances?

thanks!
Kurt
post #914 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

see thats the thing... users have already mentioned it on different related threads here and at least two members already posted the "correspondence with optoma"
y6ou just need to go back and actually read the whole thread and the other hd25e threads to see it.

help me out please Doggie, where are the screenshots?
post #915 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I love the PJ, just the current run of lenses are an potential upper left and bottom right issue.

I was stating the opposite, it was Kedelback thats assuming "most users who have focus issues dont have it installed correctly"
I merely stated that with any projector some first time owners dont have it set up correctly but most do, Hell I Id have to say about half of the projectors I see in bars and banquet rooms are setup all wrong at severe angles pointing up and some dont even have the keystone adjusted to correct for it at all.
I'm not saying anyone in particular may have it setup wrong I'm just saying it would be foolish to thing everyone already knows this stuff especially first time projector owners.
And yes I also have soft focus issues in the corners most noticeably in the two corners you mentioned as well.
My uncle even pointed it out when I was showing him the xbmc software on my htpc.
post #916 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

help me out please Doggie, where are the screenshots?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493129/to-keep-optoma-hd25e-or-return-it-upgrade-hd65

There is mention of it here,

There is at least one more thread on this forum that is newer were optoma suggests returning for lens replacement and they state its a known issue. it goes on to talk about the canadian service center not receiving the lenes yet at that point.
and there is a couple quotes from optoma on the "avforum"
post #917 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

Quick question before I buy some glasses. Would dlp link or rf glasses be easier to use for 6&7 year old? They like to watch movies together and of I'm working I don't want that phone call smile.gif
id say dlp link beings their cheaper but as far ease of use about the same were you planing on kids glasses or reagular ones
post #918 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

id say dlp link beings their cheaper but as far ease of use about the same were you planing on kids glasses or reagular ones

I think I'll just get regular ones. Looks like in going to buy the 3Dtv corp ones off Amazon
post #919 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Let's start a poll.

1st draft of wording:

Sound good Doggie?

You can add me to the list..darn it.

Clearly soft corners. If I try to focus the top right the bottom left gets fuzzy and vise versa.

I used the test grid. I also run my stuff off of an HTPC so this is going to be a problem for me.

I fired up Man of Steel and it looked fantastic..and I didn't notice a thing so that's a good thing for movie watching...

I'll try and take a few screen shots in the next few days but its real easy for anyone or the untrained eye to see.

I guess I'll try and enjoy it for a few weeks and make some phone calls to Optoma or amazon.

Screen Details: Elite screens 135 sable

Throw Distance: 15 1/2ft.

Cabling: Monoprice 60ft Slim Series RedMere HDMI

HT: 2xRC-70s, 2xRC-50s, RC-LCR, 2xRC-R, Encore8 sub, S8.3 sub

Music: 2xRC-70s

post #920 of 2882 Old 11-03-2013, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

I think I'll just get regular ones. Looks like in going to buy the 3Dtv corp ones off Amazon
good glasses but my 8year old niece complaints about them not staying on hear face. 3dtv corp makes kids glasses but if they seat at 17 feet they had trouble staying synced belive about 13 feet they work fine
post #921 of 2882 Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

good glasses but my 8year old niece complaints about them not staying on hear face. 3dtv corp makes kids glasses but if they seat at 17 feet they had trouble staying synced belive about 13 feet they work fine

Oh. Where are right on the boarder then. The projector is 13' away but we sit about 15' away.
post #922 of 2882 Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 AM

Liked: 21
Any other advice for painting the walls and ceiling? I've been thinking about Navy Blue for the walls and maybe something slightly lighter for the ceiling, i sure as hell am not keeping the ceiling white though. I have even been pondering going for a total black room and maybe with the right lights it could look good, but why go totally black when you can do this?

http://www.avforums.com/threads/living-room-wall-paint-dark-or-light-for-projector.935319/

Personally i love how that looks. Now i dont think that paint brand is available in Holland, but surely the colour for the wall and ceiling should be possible to get here. Also this thing on my ceiling:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2u8i0w7.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/64ngye.jpg

I probably should paint that too, right? Cause that thing surely ain't helping to get the pq better.

This how my floor looks by the way, there's not much i can and am going to do about this, but should be ok anyway, right?

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ez6345.jpg
post #923 of 2882 Old 11-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygrene321 View Post

You can add me to the list..darn it.

Clearly soft corners. If I try to focus the top right the bottom left gets fuzzy and vise versa.
I used the test grid. I also run my stuff off of an HTPC so this is going to be a problem for me.
I fired up Man of Steel and it looked fantastic..and I didn't notice a thing so that's a good thing for movie watching...
I'll try and take a few screen shots in the next few days but its real easy for anyone or the untrained eye to see.
I guess I'll try and enjoy it for a few weeks and make some phone calls to Optoma or amazon.

Screen Details: Elite screens 135 sable
Throw Distance: 15 1/2ft.
Cabling: Monoprice 60ft Slim Series RedMere HDMI

YGrene - thanks, would appreciate screeshots to see how they compares to those I posted in #879 on page 30.
Using the "menu location" function to show very fine text in each of the corners should be a good way to demonstrate the focus uniformity, or is there a better way?

On mine (110" Elite from 13') here's the top left

and bottom right

Again, I'm not saying nobody got a "bad" unit. It happens with all projectors. I take issue with statements like "Amazon is selling these cheap because there's a defect", and "8 out of ten HD25/131Xe units are bad" without any supporting evidence.
good luck with yours!
cheers
Kurt
post #924 of 2882 Old 11-04-2013, 06:06 AM

RE: Soft focus issues. afasd

Honestly I don't know what to do... I will talk to Optoma again. I have about 70 days or so to return the unit to local Canadian Costco. Should I return the unit and order new one? There is a VERY GOOD chance I will get another unit with lens issues.
When I talked to Optoma several weeks ago they said there is a very good chance I will get another faulty one. When I asked them if they will start producing good HD25e/HD131Xe they didn't have a comment at the time. Like Doggie said million times, since there is only a small percentage of "affected" people who notice this, I think Optoma will gladly deal with them instead of fixing this at the factory level. I'm just assuming this, please do not quote me on it. I will try to contact them today to see what they say.

I use HTPC with XBMC for media and I use browser to read forums etc... so I can see soft focus pretty much every time I use the projector. During the movies/shows there are no issues. Most of the action in the movies take place in the middle of the screen.
With movies over 1.85:1 ration (16:9) you will get black bars anyways covering both corners... I only can talk about myself, but since I know it is there....it does bother me a little (I won't lie).

I really like my HD25e, other than soft focus issues. Now should I service it with local Canadian Optoma service? I assume I have to pay for shipping one way and there is always a chance to get something broken during transportation :-(.
Assembling it to my unversal mount was pitta and a half... Also will I use my 90 days return policy to Costco if the unit after serviced by Optoma Canada still exhibits issues?

Did anyone in Canada (or in US) serviced their HD25e/HD131Xe???

TIA
post #925 of 2882 Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Liked: 21
It's been a long long time since i used a projector, but what is this focus issue exactly? If i have that stuff too, i'd rather find it out now while it isn't yet attached to the wall and i can easily return it if needed.
post #926 of 2882 Old 11-04-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Please take a look at the screen shots I posted in #879. This is the menu in the 131, so it's pixel-by-pixel "perfect".
Does this look "soft" in the upper left and bottom right to you? Honest question, I'm comparing it against a 7 year old Sanyo 1080P LCD projector with less-than-perfect convergence (that I enjoyed watching TV and blu-rays on for 7 years, FWIW).

Why should HTPC users be especially aware of "soft" corners? Excel spreadsheets that take up the entire screen, viewed at close distances?

thanks!
Kurt

From your screen shots, your have a better upper left and bottom right than me.

Is there variation of the quality between lenses?

I would be happy with your corners.
post #927 of 2882 Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Cool, glad to here you've got it sorted. Except for the scratches, that is a shame. Did you check that you got "your" projector back, is it the same SN?

Did the focus on yours pre-repair look worse than the screen shots I posted above of the menu text?
I'm sure that some "bad" units slip through the cracks. If you evey visit the above-$3000 forum you'll find that even the "big guys" send new units back for defects. Doesn't necessary mean there's anything inherently wrong with a unit or lens. Think about how precisely all of the tiny parts must be aligned inside the box to get a "perfect" picture. All it takes is one of them to be off (either during manufacturing, or rough handling during shipment) by a few thousandths of an inch and you'll be able to see it on a big screen, up close.
At this price level especially, the most important thing is solid after-sales support, which it sounds like Optoma is providing. Scratches on the case aside of course...
cheers!

Yes, same SN. But the SN is on a little sticker, so they could have always printed a new sticker and put it on a different projector. I can also tell the zoom dial feels different (resistance). This could be from the new lens though.

Yes, my focus pre-repair was way worse than your screen shots. Glad to have had it done, because I know my eyes would have continued to find the soft focus issues as I am watching content ...
post #928 of 2882 Old 11-04-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_g99 View Post

Yes, same SN. But the SN is on a little sticker, so they could have always printed a new sticker and put it on a different projector. I can also tell the zoom dial feels different (resistance). This could be from the new lens though.

Yes, my focus pre-repair was way worse than your screen shots. Glad to have had it done, because I know my eyes would have continued to find the soft focus issues as I am watching content ...

Can you give a run down of how the RMA process went? You initiate by calling or email? Optoma sends a box?
post #929 of 2882 Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

It's been a long long time since i used a projector, but what is this focus issue exactly? If i have that stuff too, i'd rather find it out now while it isn't yet attached to the wall and i can easily return it if needed.

No offense my friend but it is in this thread... re-read the last few pages.. or use search function and look for "SOFT" or read amazon.com reviews...
post #930 of 2882 Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 AM

Has anyone tried using the mask edge feature (assuming it has one, my old one did)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page