Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2835 Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

I have the cheapest v1.3 hdmi splitter I could find from ebay splitting the output from my sony av reciever between my plasma and my hd131xe and it works very well even for the 3d which actually requires hdmi v 1.4 standards so....

I was a little concerned with the v1.3 v1.4 thing. Thanks for the confirmation. I heard a small complaint about the less expensive switchers. Let's just say you are watching source1 on display1 and source2 on display2, then you decide you want source1 on display1 and display2 at the same time,,,the complaint was display1 would flicker/chatter for a second or two, while the switcher was making the transition. After the transition both displays run fine. Have you noticed any of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2835 Old 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

Oh man, now we're finally getting somewhere
I wondered where you disappeared to. The new paint looks great! All that light pollution has disapeared.
post #1083 of 2835 Old 11-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2009 View Post

I wondered where you disappeared to. The new paint looks great! All that light pollution has disapeared.

Exactly man. I am very very happy with my decision to paint it. Hopefully i can buy a ceiling mount and screen next month, so that around the end of the year the projector will have it's safe place on the ceiling and a nice screen to finish it all. With this setup i am very ready for the new game consoles and simply movie experiences in general. I love it! smile.gif
post #1084 of 2835 Old 11-12-2013, 11:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2009 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

I have the cheapest v1.3 hdmi splitter I could find from ebay splitting the output from my sony av reciever between my plasma and my hd131xe and it works very well even for the 3d which actually requires hdmi v 1.4 standards so....

I was a little concerned with the v1.3 v1.4 thing. Thanks for the confirmation. I heard a small complaint about the less expensive switchers. Let's just say you are watching source1 on display1 and source2 on display2, then you decide you want source1 on display1 and display2 at the same time,,,the complaint was display1 would flicker/chatter for a second or two, while the switcher was making the transition. After the transition both displays run fine. Have you noticed any of that?
Both outputs on my switch get disconnected for a second when I switch any input.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
post #1085 of 2835 Old 11-13-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I don't use mine as a splitter to watch both displays at the same time but rather to feed video automatically to whatever display is on... The other issue is my plasma is older and only 720p... my splitter negotiates a signal with whatever device is senses first so if they are both on at the same time it either feeds my projector 720p which I don't want or trays to feed my plasma 1080p which doesn't work... tried this with two 720p TVs and the video looked messed up on one like it was formatted for one and not both... I think it would work great with two of the same TV or perhaps very similar tvs .
It works fine the way I use it though as my motorized screen comes down in front of my plasma so never use both at the same time anyway.... and I also have a darbee dart let processor thrown into the HDMI chain which I've read if fussy with connection.
post #1086 of 2835 Old 11-13-2013, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My HD131xe should be delivered today.

Isn't this projector 1920x1200 resolution? Does that mean there is or could be some vertical adjustment of 1920x1080 without loss of quality?
post #1087 of 2835 Old 11-13-2013, 11:45 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsdickerson View Post

My HD131xe should be delivered today.

Isn't this projector 1920x1200 resolution? Does that mean there is or could be some vertical adjustment of 1920x1080 without loss of quality?

It is 1920X1080 Native. http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD131Xe.htm
post #1088 of 2835 Old 11-13-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I've been waiting to post this just to make sure the issues I was having weren't with the projector and/or glasses that I specifically had. I received my HD131Xe about two weeks ago. I had already purchased and owned a MonsterVision Max 3D Kit (two kits actually) and a total of 4 pairs of MonsterVision 3D glasses. These had worked great with my JVC DLA-X55R, granted there was a little ghosting here and there but that was to be expected as the projector isn't DLP based and almost every review out there said to still expect ghosting on that projector.

The same night FedEx dropped off this Optoma I tried some 3D content out. Holy cow there was SO much ghosting. On top of the ghosting there was a ton of posterization when viewing the content through the glasses. I tried messing around with the 3D emitter but to no avail I couldn't get rid of either totally. The MonsterVision 3D kit and standalone glasses are rebranded Bit Cauldron BC 5000 glasses. These don't seem to work well with this Optoma model. I purchased an EStar America 3D kit which is a rebranded Bit Cauldron BC 6000 emitter and glasses. These work PERFECTLY with the Optoma. No ghosting or posterization at all. After reading a bit online about the Bit Cauldron system the RF emitter actually updates the 3D glasses so I decided to try the BC 5000 (MonsterVision) glasses with the EStar emitter. Sure enough, it updated the glasses. It removed the posterization issue and most of the ghosting issues but the BC5000 glasses still aren't perfect. There's still a noticeable amount of ghosting.

I figured I'd share this information to those who were thinking about buying these RF glasses. Maybe I did something wrong with the BC5000 glasses and they need to be tweaked to work properly, but the BC 6000's work perfectly out of the box. I just ordered 3 more pairs of EStar Branded BC6000 3D glasses on Amazon.
post #1089 of 2835 Old 11-13-2013, 05:49 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

I played some Battlefield 3 this evening, screen is around 100 to 110 and i sit 5 meters away from it and it looked fantastic. Gaming is now such a different and amazing experience. Wow. I am not gonna lie though, the black levels are not what i'd wish, but they are far from bad. There's little i can change in my living room to improve that. During daytime it is still on the bright side, but my open kitchen is doing that. So i am planning on buying a dark coloured curtain for that. I am just incredibly impressed with the picture quality. Such a huge huuuuuge screen, and yet it looks damn fine. Now that i've all experienced this...there's no going back from the dark side. smile.gif

Looks good but I still see a lot of ambient light. If the curtain sorts that out, you'll put us all to shame with that dark paint.

Oh, and welcome to the secret society of projector enthusiasts! 

post #1090 of 2835 Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I've been waiting to post this just to make sure the issues I was having weren't with the projector and/or glasses that I specifically had. I received my HD131Xe about two weeks ago. I had already purchased and owned a MonsterVision Max 3D Kit (two kits actually) and a total of 4 pairs of MonsterVision 3D glasses. These had worked great with my JVC DLA-X55R, granted there was a little ghosting here and there but that was to be expected as the projector isn't DLP based and almost every review out there said to still expect ghosting on that projector.

The same night FedEx dropped off this Optoma I tried some 3D content out. Holy cow there was SO much ghosting. On top of the ghosting there was a ton of posterization when viewing the content through the glasses. I tried messing around with the 3D emitter but to no avail I couldn't get rid of either totally. The MonsterVision 3D kit and standalone glasses are rebranded Bit Cauldron BC 5000 glasses. These don't seem to work well with this Optoma model. I purchased an EStar America 3D kit which is a rebranded Bit Cauldron BC 6000 emitter and glasses. These work PERFECTLY with the Optoma. No ghosting or posterization at all. After reading a bit online about the Bit Cauldron system the RF emitter actually updates the 3D glasses so I decided to try the BC 5000 (MonsterVision) glasses with the EStar emitter. Sure enough, it updated the glasses. It removed the posterization issue and most of the ghosting issues but the BC5000 glasses still aren't perfect. There's still a noticeable amount of ghosting.

I figured I'd share this information to those who were thinking about buying these RF glasses. Maybe I did something wrong with the BC5000 glasses and they need to be tweaked to work properly, but the BC 6000's work perfectly out of the box. I just ordered 3 more pairs of EStar Branded BC6000 3D glasses on Amazon.

Hello, i was wondering if you could tell me how the picture quality compares between the jvc and the optoma. I am looking at the hd131ex, epson 5030, panny 8000 and the vizio m80 tv. If the optoma has a nice pic i can get that and save some money. Thanks for any response.
post #1091 of 2835 Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 165
For 2D its no comparison. The JVC is on a totally different playing field. The Epson and Panasonic are also a big step up over the HD131Xe. Contrast performance plays a huge, if not one of the biggest, role in overall image quality. Viewed side-by-side the image the Optoma puts out looks washed out on all but the brightest of scenes. By itself it can hold its own but on a side by side comparison next to the JVC it's no contest whatsoever. The few areas where this Optoma is excellent is image sharpness, brightness, and perfect 3D performance. If you're looking for the best bang for the buck I'd probably buy the Epson 5030, but if you can afford it get the JVC and don't look back. It's 3D performance is acceptable and is pretty decent for the first few hundred hours on the bulb, but will gradually get worse as the bulb ages. After all how much 3D do you plan on watching anyways? The vast majority of most people watch only a fractions worth of 3D content compared to the amount of 2D content. So it's worth spending the money if you want a great 2D picture and contrast performance is one of the biggest influencing factors in a great image, but unfortunately this Optoma is big step backwards compared to the models you asked about. If you want a DLP projector that can hold it's own against the JVCs you're looking at spending roughly $6000 on something like the Runco LS-5. Unfortunately there are any "high performance" DLP projectors that cost less than that. 3LCD and LCOS projectors dominate the sub $5000 price bracket in overall 2D picture quality. Sub $1000 is where DLP starts to play a competitive role again as it's hard manufacture LCOS and 3LCD projectors past that $1000 price point and still make a profit.
post #1092 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Seegs, I'm thinking about getting this projector for 3D only. Is there any reason to choose something different? I was going to get another Benq, but I think I'm going to stick with RF glasses. I hear that RF provides better 3D and contrast over DLP Link. Plus, RF glasses can be used with many projectors that support RF, rather than IR and DLP Link
post #1093 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

For 2D its no comparison. The JVC is on a totally different playing field. The Epson and Panasonic are also a big step up over the HD131Xe. Contrast performance plays a huge, if not one of the biggest, role in overall image quality. Viewed side-by-side the image the Optoma puts out looks washed out on all but the brightest of scenes. By itself it can hold its own but on a side by side comparison next to the JVC it's no contest whatsoever. The few areas where this Optoma is excellent is image sharpness, brightness, and perfect 3D performance. If you're looking for the best bang for the buck I'd probably buy the Epson 5030, but if you can afford it get the JVC and don't look back. It's 3D performance is acceptable and is pretty decent for the first few hundred hours on the bulb, but will gradually get worse as the bulb ages. After all how much 3D do you plan on watching anyways? The vast majority of most people watch only a fractions worth of 3D content compared to the amount of 2D content. So it's worth spending the money if you want a great 2D picture and contrast performance is one of the biggest influencing factors in a great image, but unfortunately this Optoma is big step backwards compared to the models you asked about. If you want a DLP projector that can hold it's own against the JVCs you're looking at spending roughly $6000 on something like the Runco LS-5. Unfortunately there are any "high performance" DLP projectors that cost less than that. 3LCD and LCOS projectors dominate the sub $5000 price bracket in overall 2D picture quality. Sub $1000 is where DLP starts to play a competitive role again as it's hard manufacture LCOS and 3LCD projectors past that $1000 price point and still make a profit.

Thanks so much for responding and for giving such a detailed answer. I will probably narrow my choices down to the 5030 and the 80 inch vizio (passive). I will also be doing some gaming on it as well. Thanks again.
post #1094 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Hey guys. For what it's worth, I ordered the hd131xe from Amazon on November 5, 2013, and received it a few days later. I just had a chance to turn it on last night and did not notice any lens focus issues that others have described.
post #1095 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchambers69 View Post

Hey guys. For what it's worth, I ordered the hd131xe from Amazon on November 5, 2013, and received it a few days later. I just had a chance to turn it on last night and did not notice any lens focus issues that others have described.

That's great. Be sure and open the image as big as it will go, use the menu in all four corners and see if focus is same. (I had checked mine in the zoom-in and saw no problems. Zoomed wide I saw that the problem of upper left, lower right was there a little but I could achieve focus, barely.)

I think this is a great PJ. And the 3D is excellent (DLP-Link used here).

Enjoy.
post #1096 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

That's great. Be sure and open the image as big as it will go, use the menu in all four corners and see if focus is same. (I had checked mine in the zoom-in and saw no problems. Zoomed wide I saw that the problem of upper left, lower right was there a little but I could achieve focus, barely.)

I think this is a great PJ. And the 3D is excellent (DLP-Link used here).

Enjoy.

When I get my electric screen (as opposed to my living room painted wall), I will try what you said. I'm guessing that I was at about half zoom last night. I definitely did the menu in all four corners thing, and didn't notice any problems. Will report back when I verify results in a few weeks.
post #1097 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchambers69 View Post

When I get my electric screen (as opposed to my living room painted wall), I will try what you said. I'm guessing that I was at about half zoom last night. I definitely did the menu in all four corners thing, and didn't notice any problems. Will report back when I verify results in a few weeks.

What I have is a 100" screen (narrowest zoom) and I had to get a flat white board, widen out the image to 120" and check the focus with the board held as correctly as possible simulating the 120" sized screen. (widest zoom)
I wish I had a full wall (of almost any color to check this issue out on.) My room has no such walls. I hope I don't get the big screen and find the problem. I will have to get the bigger screen before the warranty is up, just in case.
post #1098 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I received my HD131Xe this week from Amazon. I don't know if I have the focus problem or not. I mean, my focus is "good" in all 4 corners but the focus isn't exactly the same in all 4 corners. If I focus the upper left to be razor sharp, the lower right will still be in focus but not razor sharp. It's still OK, certainly not dull or blurry, but it's not exactly the same sharpness sharp as the upper left. If I was to compare, I'd say upper left is 100% sharp and lower right is 85% or something like that. Something I can live with and probably a drawback of a projector in this price range? Not sure. Anyway, if they're supposed to match, though, like 100% sharpness in all four corners, I might RMA, but then that might be being petty, I don't know.

Side note: I'm using max zoom and adjusted the focus as best as I could.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #1099 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

I received my HD131Xe this week from Amazon. I don't know if I have the focus problem or not. I mean, my focus is "good" in all 4 corners but the focus isn't exactly the same in all 4 corners. If I focus the upper left to be razor sharp, the lower right will still be in focus but not razor sharp. It's still OK, certainly not dull or blurry, but it's not exactly the same sharpness sharp as the upper left. If I was to compare, I'd say upper left is 100% sharp and lower right is 90% or something like that. Something I can live with and probably a drawback of a projector in this price range? Not sure. Anyway, if they're supposed to match, though, like 100% sharpness in all four corners, I might RMA, but then that might be being petty, I don't know.

Side note: I'm using max zoom and adjusted as best as I could.

Just make sure your picture is totally square. I have soft upper left and bottom right corners and posted pics. Compare. I will say at max screen zoom size that the focus is in the corners is manageable.

I am still deciding to RMA or not.

It's not like I can't read text in corners, it's just I can tell it's not like the other 2 corners.

It maybe due to swinging the zoom scroll knob on the PJ back and forth, and then focusing. I know that THIS is the budget PJ to get. Corner issues or not, mocking up throws with the PJ can reveal potential issues if there are any.
post #1100 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

I received my HD131Xe this week from Amazon. I don't know if I have the focus problem or not. I mean, my focus is "good" in all 4 corners but the focus isn't exactly the same in all 4 corners. If I focus the upper left to be razor sharp, the lower right will still be in focus but not razor sharp. It's still OK, certainly not dull or blurry, but it's not exactly the same sharpness sharp as the upper left. If I was to compare, I'd say upper left is 100% sharp and lower right is 85% or something like that. Something I can live with and probably a drawback of a projector in this price range? Not sure. Anyway, if they're supposed to match, though, like 100% sharpness in all four corners, I might RMA, but then that might be being petty, I don't know.

Side note: I'm using max zoom and adjusted the focus as best as I could.

Yes, you've got the focusing issue. When you say max zoom do you mean the picture is at its largest? That is the way to see the issue at its worst. Good luck. I'd probably return via warranty it to Optoma and use RMA so they switch it out with a new (and, hopefully, fixed) lens.
I'm kind of in the same boat, although mine does seem to have a tiny, hair-sized position with the focus knob where the problem can't be seen. I just wonder what will happen if heat causes changes. My PJ is a little more difficult to access for touch-ups.

I hope others chime in here.

P.S.: Like Mitgsx I think this is a great budget PJ. Contrast, Blacks, Color, Sharpness and really good 3D.
post #1101 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Yes, you've got the focusing issue. When you say max zoom do you mean the picture is at its largest? That is the way to see the issue at its worst. Good luck. I'd probably return via warranty it to Optoma and use RMA so they switch it out with a new (and, hopefully, fixed) lens.
I'm kind of in the same boat, although mine does seem to have a tiny, hair-sized position with the focus knob where the problem can't be seen. I just wonder what will happen if heat causes changes. My PJ is a little more difficult to access for touch-ups.

I hope others chime in here.

P.S.: Like Mitgsx I think this is a great budget PJ. Contrast, Blacks, Color, Sharpness and really good 3D.

Buy from Amazon and then IM customer service on the description of LED PJ, GET $100 - $200 off this sweet PJ!

Movies......hands down, unbelievable for price point.

HTPC......Make sure of upper left and bottom right are fully focused. Might think RMA if not satisfactory.

PS, Wife actually watches flicks with me again.
hyperactiveme likes this.
post #1102 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgsx View Post

Buy from Amazon and then IM customer service on the description of LED PJ, GET $100 - $200 off this sweet PJ!

HTPC......Make sure of upper left and bottom right are fully focused.

I bought from Amazon a month ago. $750 w/ $50 back. So I'm over the 30 day limit.

Not sure what you mean by: "Buy from Amazon and then IM customer service on the description of LED PJ, GET $100 - $200 off this sweet PJ!"

Yeah this is a great way to see movies. 3D is incredible. Better than at the movies for 3D.

And as I mentioned I have the lens issue but it does barely get equal focus upper left, lower right. (Using he built in menu to check as it can be positioned in all 4 corners. My HTPC is in another room at present.

Cool that your wife digs the big picture.
post #1103 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ygrene321 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Mount-It-MI-603-Projector-Wall-Mount/dp/B003AFONFU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383457152&sr=1-2

Just an example of a wall mount that hangs the projector upside down..

Thanks for the tip, I'm giving this mount a try.
post #1104 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgsx View Post

HTPC......Make sure of upper left and bottom right are fully focused. Might think RMA if not satisfactory.

How did you pull that off exactly?

HT: 2xRC-70s, 2xRC-50s, RC-LCR, 2xRC-R, Encore8 sub, S8.3 sub

Music: 2xRC-70s

post #1105 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Thanks for the tip, I'm giving this mount a try.

No problem.. I ended up getting a ceiling mount from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10911&cs_id=1091102&p_id=8801&seq=1&format=2

Some mounts are ''universal'' there maybe some modifying to the arm or arms or hardware that is needed..

I had to file down the end of one arm a little to have it clear a part on the case. near the mounting hole of the top middle.

I also had to get some washers and 3mm screws to make this mount work.

It can be done but I don't recommend this one.

post #1106 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 10:22 PM

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=109&cp_id=10911&cs_id=1091102&p_id=3874&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

this one would have probably worked out better for me and its simple and inexpensive.

post #1107 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have this Mount and it's a POS! I should have spent the extra $$ and purchased a better one. I almost contemplated getting a shelf Mount capable projector when I sold my hd20.
post #1108 of 2835 Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

I have this Mount and it's a POS! I should have spent the extra $$ and purchased a better one. I almost contemplated getting a shelf Mount capable projector when I sold my hd20.

Thanks for the heads up.. I probably should have done a little more research before I made my purchase. oh well

post #1109 of 2835 Old 11-15-2013, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just to be clear, I didn't get your Mount but the one you were thinking of. Yours has to be better. This is mine 38741.jpg
post #1110 of 2835 Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 AM

This had all the parts to attach to the PJ, swivels in all directions. HERE.

On the amazon partial refund, you talk to CS online chat. Explain what you received is not what is described "LED light source lasts for the life of the product" HERE.

They offer a full refund, ask for a partial refund and you keep the PJ since it's installed. This was my answer from CS "I have checked with my supervisor in order to help you with this. I would be able to issue a partial refund for $153.59 for you. "

Enjoy!!!
ygrene321 likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - Hd131xe by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page