Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2935 Old 08-22-2013, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Used the 131Xe for the first time. Projecting onto wall ... Will install screen tomorrow. My initial impression is that, even on a wall and not yet calibrated, the 131 is a significant upgrade from an Optoma HD65. At a distance of 12 ft 4 inches, I'm able to get a 110 inch image with about 7 inches of offset.

I do have one observation that threw me: I could not get rid of the "overscan," so regardless of my settings, there was about a one inch black/gray border around the entire image. What is that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2935 Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post

I do have one observation that threw me: I could not get rid of the "overscan," so regardless of my settings, there was about a one inch black/gray border around the entire image. What is that?

In the 2nd settings tab, Edgemask should be set to zero. if that isnt the problem then there is a small amount of lightspill with this projector. Hardly noticeable and not an issue once projected into a properly framed/masked screen.

HTPC: Intel NUC (DC53427HYE) running OpenELEC/Win7 Dual Boot
Projector: Optoma HD131Xe
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
Screen: Elite Spectrum Electric 125"
Media Server: NAS4Free Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz
post #93 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Used the 131Xe for the first time. Projecting onto wall ... Will install screen tomorrow. My initial impression is that, even on a wall and not yet calibrated, the 131 is a significant upgrade from an Optoma HD65. At a distance of 12 ft 4 inches, I'm able to get a 110 inch image with about 7 inches of offset.

I'm thinking about upgrading from HD65 (still working referb unit with about 800hrs on the lamp). Can you please be more specific on "significant upgrade"? I need to build a case for WAF :P.
post #94 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17 View Post

I'm thinking about upgrading from HD65 (still working referb unit with about 800hrs on the lamp). Can you please be more specific on "significant upgrade"? I need to build a case for WAF :P.

I'm not as eloquent or specific as other reviewers, but I'll do my best.

My main gripe about the HD65 is how dull the image was, even after calibration. No "pop" in terms of contrast or black level; and that was on a screen in a dark room.

Yesterday, I used the 131 in a room with white walls, and the contrast and black levels already seemed better than what I remember about the HD 65. On the HD65, I could sometimes not tell the difference between black, navy blue and dark gray. I only watched one movie yesterday, (Get Smart) on blu-ray. There were several dark scenes and the concert scene where men were wearing black tuxes. They actually looked black, instead of charcoal gray. And in the final scene, Max was wearing a navy blue blazer, and I was able to see that.

I then did a quick test using my XBox360 because I remember being disappointed at the dullness of NCAA Football on the HD65. (I couldn't even finish one game.) I'm happy to report the image was much improved ... again better contrast and black level.

I don't want to mislead you by saying it is outstanding black level or contrast, because I'm sure other models are better at it, but I'm just saying the 131 looks much better than the HD65.

One caution (which I think someone else mentioned) is that the image was very bright, even in eco mode. Honestly, after watching the movie then playing one game, I had some eye fatigue. That may have been due to the fact that there's lots of reflection in the room, or the fact that I haven't used a PJ in a year.

I'll know more about the brightness after I assemble and install my 110-inch screen into my "man cave" this weekend.
post #95 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by niggenz View Post

Offset isn't adjustable and it requires users to have a few inches of vertical space to accommodate the offset image. But really what offset is, is bollocks. Plain and simple.

It is just Optoma being lazy and holding onto to the last vestiges of their business class roots. If you are sitting in a meeting room, 4 people deep, huddled around a projector, where offset allows the image to be shot up higher (this is offset in practice) on the wall, it would be a great benefit for an effective presentation. Without offset, the bottom of the image would simply shoot out from the lens maybe an inch or two above the table top surface. This might not be as comfortable to view for all those huddled around that projector (especially, if we were still in say Circa 2004). But in today's day and age where virtual meeting software allows meeting attendees to view presentations on their own private laptop screens, or to not even be in the same room at all, having image offset has long since outlived its usefulness. When is the last time you had to scramble to reserve the one projector in your office just before a meeting? Optoma needs to realize that there is no such thing as as a dual purpose projector any longer; projectors are either Home Theater/Entertainment projectors, or large venue projectors. By having offset, Optoma is requiring its users to have a few extra inches of vertical space added to the desired size of the user's image. They are really shutting out those basement installation users and those with vertical height limitations. It's just plain silly.

Instead, it would be nice if they removed the offset completely, it really is academic and give us a small amount of lens shift.

It will end up working fantastically for me, since my screen will be about 14-16" down from the ceiling where the PJ will be mounted. The PJ will be all the way back and almost all the way up, way out of the way in the room.

Thanks for taking the time to explain my noob questions.
Quote:
One caution (which I think someone else mentioned) is that the image was very bright, even in eco mode. Honestly, after watching the movie then playing one game, I had some eye fatigue. That may have been due to the fact that there's lots of reflection in the room, or the fact that I haven't used a PJ in a year.
Couldn't the settings be adjusted to compensate? I didn't think it was possible to have a PJ that was "too bright" for your room size / throw distance / screen size.
post #96 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm not as eloquent or specific as other reviewers, but I'll do my best.

My main gripe about the HD65 is how dull the image was, even after calibration. No "pop" in terms of contrast or black level; and that was on a screen in a dark room.

Yesterday, I used the 131 in a room with white walls, and the contrast and black levels already seemed better than what I remember about the HD 65. On the HD65, I could sometimes not tell the difference between black, navy blue and dark gray. I only watched one movie yesterday, (Get Smart) on blu-ray. There were several dark scenes and the concert scene where men were wearing black tuxes. They actually looked black, instead of charcoal gray. And in the final scene, Max was wearing a navy blue blazer, and I was able to see that.

I then did a quick test using my XBox360 because I remember being disappointed at the dullness of NCAA Football on the HD65. (I couldn't even finish one game.) I'm happy to report the image was much improved ... again better contrast and black level.

I don't want to mislead you by saying it is outstanding black level or contrast, because I'm sure other models are better at it, but I'm just saying the 131 looks much better than the HD65.

I'll know more about the brightness after I assemble and install my 110-inch screen into my "man cave" this weekend.

Thanks so much for your feedback. Funny thing is I find HD65 as a bright projector, or maybe the weak blacks/contrast makes it look brighter then it actually is. I guess with all the 3D PJs you need more/extra lumens. From my understaning the throw profiles between HD65, HD131Xe and HD25e are pretty simillar which will make an upgrade easier (same ceiling mounting spot and fixed screen). Due to the room estetics I would prefer white HD25e unit, however if I can get cheaper HD131Xe I would go for that one. Are the extra lumens on HD25e the only difference between the two units?
post #97 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterTedd View Post

I ordered the Acer H6510BD for $700 (Still awaiting delivery)... How does the HD131Xe stack up against the H6510BD?

I'd like to know this as well. It's on sale for $730
post #98 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

It will end up working fantastically for me, since my screen will be about 14-16" down from the ceiling where the PJ will be mounted. The PJ will be all the way back and almost all the way up, way out of the way in the room.

Thanks for taking the time to explain my noob questions.
Couldn't the settings be adjusted to compensate? I didn't think it was possible to have a PJ that was "too bright" for your room size / throw distance / screen size.

I'm sure that's the case. I was using the factory "Cinema" preset. Didn't bother to do any tweaking last night, just wanted to run it a few hours.
post #99 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 12:53 PM

I was wondering if anyone has viewed both the HD25e and the HD131Xe? Amazon has the HD131Xe for 799 through beach camera right now. I have been looking at the HD25/HD25e for about a month and now I'm ready to buy and the 131 is out and 150 cheaper. I have a basement room with no windows that I'm going to put the projector in. Is it worth the extra 150 to get the 25e and would I really even notice the difference between the two in my room?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks smile.gif

On a side note, whats up with the GT760 that is just now coming out? Ive seen it as low as 650, but dont know much about it. I plan on gaming a lot on the projector when the PS4 hits, but also watch a lot of movies.
post #100 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Between the HD25e and the HD131Xe, unless you need a black projector and are really tight with money, there is no reason not to get the HD25e. The differences seem negligible.

But no problem. I do see some weak points with the projector that I am hoping will be remedied after proper setup and calibration. I wish I had some of this help before I purchased the W1070; it would have saved me some time. But then again, the HD131Xe wasn't available then, only a month or so ago, so it does seem fortunate. I watched the Deja Vu, The Matrix, and The Crow Blu Rays pretty much straight through each film yesterday. Each of these movies are rather dark and bleakly set but showed fantastically on the HD131Xe. Especially The Matrix. So much luster has been lost with this film after parts 2 and 3, that I forget what an awesome movie it is. Seeing it so brilliantly at home last night made me remember how astonished I was after walking out of the theaters way back in 1999. I also demo'ed Romeo+Juliet and Titanic (in 2D). With R+J, I noticed that there is a lot of noise in the sky during the beach scenes. It was distracting. But otherwise the rest of this colorful movie looked great. In Titanic, I don't know if it is the film or not, but there seems to be lots of grain in this movie during the dinner scene. Hopefully this can be remedied. Also, I wouldn't recommend anyone throwing any rips at this projector. They make look fine on a 55" TV, but when you have an 8ft+ screen, you will quickly see where those 40 or so gigabytes of data went.

Some other things to note. I haven't mounted this yet, so to get the biggest screen I could get projected onto my wall, I placed it on the backrest of my couch just inches away from my shoulder and right ear. After watching those 3 movies, I didn't even notice the fan noise. Fist Pump!!!!

I will get better screen shots and will try to get video of it action as well and keep you guys posted.

So are you saying that the HD131XE is better than the W1070?
post #101 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

This is a very subjective statement, I realize, but personally I'm more comfortable with Optoma as a projector company than Benq. Although I've used Benq monitors for a long time now with good experiences. I was ready to pull the trigger on the W1070 then saw the HD131XE at 769 and have been thrilled with it these past few days. I'd say if you don't need the vertical shift, go with the Optoma and put that ~$80 savings towards new speakers!
post #102 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Curious what mounts people are pairing with this.. I'm probably going to order this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TXNS6G

Peerless PRGUNV Precision Gear Universal Projector Mount - Black

Although I also just noticed this one for $10 less that Amazon claims is the newer model of the above, but it's got a 3-5 week ship time (HD131XE all over again!):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BVW69LA

Newer, cheaper.. Cheaper parts? I could see the adjustment gears being plastic for instance instead of the current brass.
post #103 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 02:46 PM

I ordered this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAL7XA4/ref=ox_ya_os_product
It only supports up to 21 lbs but its simple and small, what I was looking for.

What kind of cables is everyone using. I looked into the redmere but decided to just go with these because of the good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LQ83EI/ref=ox_ya_os_product
post #104 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Posted my review on Amazon for the HD131Xe: http://www.amazon.com/review/R7PA2IS5SEDYK/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00E4JEDWE&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

For those asking about the Acer H6510BD, no way to be sure until there is a direct comparison, but I do think somethings I mention in my review should give you things to think about.

post #105 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is what I am saying.

BenQ W1070's biggest problem is its handling of gradient shadow detail. The image projected therefore lacks dimension, appears flat, and is dull. I had the W1070 for a month. From the time I plugged it in until I received confirmation from Amazon that my refund was processed, I had that sinking guilty feeling of buyers remorse. I have had the HD131Xe for almost as long and have been a happy camper the whole time. Its not perfect but the only reason to get the W1070 and not the HD131Xe/HD25e is if the throw and placement doesn't work for you.

On a side note, seems Amazon Prime has this back for $814.

post #106 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLooMacy View Post

I was wondering if anyone has viewed both the HD25e and the HD131Xe? Amazon has the HD131Xe for 799 through beach camera right now. I have been looking at the HD25/HD25e for about a month and now I'm ready to buy and the 131 is out and 150 cheaper. I have a basement room with no windows that I'm going to put the projector in. Is it worth the extra 150 to get the 25e and would I really even notice the difference between the two in my room?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks smile.gif

On a side note, whats up with the GT760 that is just now coming out? Ive seen it as low as 650, but dont know much about it. I plan on gaming a lot on the projector when the PS4 hits, but also watch a lot of movies.

I am going to go out on a limb and just say that the suspect that the HD25e and HD131Xe are the same projector with different firmware, case, and model number. If true, one is just brighter than the other and therefore has higher contrast. Everything else is going to be the same.

If gaming, I would get the brightest projector for my money because I want the biggest most immersive image I can get. I would also likely take this on the road and outside for those occasional gaming meets. Also, iif I were to 3D game a lot, I would get the HD25e. Be careful and realistic with your expectations though. If you are only going to project a small screen, you won't need the extra lumens. In this case, get the HD131Xe.

And the GT760 is only 720p.

post #107 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, didn't realize the 760 was just 720p, answers that question. I think I am going to go about 110" on the screen, I don't think the wall will allow for more than that. I might even have to do 100" if I cant make 110 work. Think I am going to bite on the 131xe, good review on amazon Niggenz.
post #108 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

I am going to go out on a limb and just say that the suspect that the HD25e and HD131Xe are the same projector with different firmware, case, and model number. If true, one is just brighter than the other and therefore has higher contrast. Everything else is going to be the same.

In comparing two projectors with similar internals, the brighter projector with the lower wattage lamp will generally have the lesser contrast, not the other way around. To get a brighter image out of a lower wattage lamp, you have to open up the light path more (reduced optical and DLP mirror coatings), which means lower contrast due to a higher reflection ratio in the light path. That said they could have re-engineered something to counter-balance the effect.

The hd131Xe was said to have a 190 watt lamp vs. the 240 watt lamp of the HD25, so I'd be wondering what kind of contrast numbers the hd131Xe puts out, the Benq w1070 for instance is at about 1500:1 Native On/Off (2000+:1 dynamic), and the Optoma hd25 is about 1100:1 native on/off from what I've seen. I measured the w1070 myself, never had an HD25 (not yet).

I might grab one of these down the road during a sale if it can do at least 1500:1 (but I have my doubts).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #109 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's a different bulb too not just lower wattage.

post #110 of 2935 Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 155
If it was lower wattage, of course it's a different bulb, I would think that would be a given :?
I suppose they could keep the same bulb and run it lower, but they don't generally do that for projectors.

The absorption rate of the light path (low reflectivity), DLP mirror coatings, the refraction ratio from the light source to the lens or lens assembly elements (Snell's Law), the Dark Chip version, and other similar things are what gives a DLP its' contrast.

Generally speaking, the brighter projectors released at lower prices which are made by the same MFR and that are generally similar in the root design have less contrast. Have their ever been exceptions, yes a few times, but it's rare. Just saying...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #111 of 2935 Old 08-24-2013, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Posted my review on Amazon for the HD131Xe.

Thank you for your detailed evaluation. I feel silly asking this, but I didn't understand your 3rd point under the cons. What do you mean when you say "streams are being switched during blu ray playback"? Could you clarify the circumstances in which you see the hourglass?

Also, since I intend to use the projector (actually the HD25e) largely for 3D, I'm a little concerned about "Contrast boosted during 3D playback causing washed out image". I would expect a (more) washed out image with DLP-Link, but are you getting a washed out image with RF?
post #112 of 2935 Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's nitpicking but the HD131Xe is a little slow to authenticate HDMI streams. For instance, you are in the blu ray's main menu, and you select play. This switches the main menu stream to the main movie stream. Whenever this happens, the HD131Xe struggles to re-authenticate the stream. The result is there is a delay with showing the stream on screen. Instead of displaying just a blank screen, a sifting hourglass is displayed. The projector even tries to find a live input even though you have input lock set to yes. This has the effect of taking you out of the movie experience. Again, it is nitpicking but Optoma certainly can remove the hourglass icon and definitely improve upon the HDMI authentication. It has it's place in the business presentation environment but it's just out of place in a home theater/entertainment arena.

As for 3D, the contrast is high in default settings. This likely can be resolved with proper calibration, but I don't know yet of a proper 3D calibration disc.

Seems there is a 3D calibration disc available here.

post #113 of 2935 Old 08-25-2013, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So, I got my HD131Xe today, and I love it. I used the settings that niggenz linked to, but I toned down the red just a little bit. I plan on doing a proper calibration later. One other big difference is that I turned on dynamic black and in some scenes it makes a huge difference in the contrast. The projector is a hair noisy with it on, but still much quieter than my old one.
One thing I do notice is that some of the scrolling seems a bit rough in particular the credits. Is that just a symptom of 1080p 24 fps?

I will post more after I get to play with it a bit.
post #114 of 2935 Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshColorado View Post

This is a very subjective statement, I realize, but personally I'm more comfortable with Optoma as a projector company than Benq. Although I've used Benq monitors for a long time now with good experiences. I was ready to pull the trigger on the W1070 then saw the HD131XE at 769 and have been thrilled with it these past few days. I'd say if you don't need the vertical shift, go with the Optoma and put that ~$80 savings towards new speakers!

Quote:

That is what I am saying.

BenQ W1070's biggest problem is its handling of gradient shadow detail. The image projected therefore lacks dimension, appears flat, and is dull. I had the W1070 for a month. From the time I plugged it in until I received confirmation from Amazon that my refund was processed, I had that sinking guilty feeling of buyers remorse. I have had the HD131Xe for almost as long and have been a happy camper the whole time. Its not perfect but the only reason to get the W1070 and not the HD131Xe/HD25e is if the throw and placement doesn't work for you.

On a side note, seems Amazon Prime has this back for $814.

Glad to see the price has came back down.

What about gaming on the 1070 vs. 131. Is the response time about the same.. or is one unit noticeably faster than the other? I'm still weighing the pros & cons of each unit.. and have yet to decide on which one to purchase.

I'm looking to pull the trigger sometime on Monday, Sept 2nd. Figure with 2 day Amazon prime shipping.. I'll get the projector that Wednesday. With gives me another 24 hours to get it mounted to the ceiling. I already have the 7.1 surround system setup and ready to go in my HT. Im currently using a 65" Panny plasma, but the 'small' screen definitely leaves the experience lacking impact. I cannot tell you how excited I will be when the projector arrives and I'll have a 120-135" screen. My plan is to shoot the projector on the bare wall for a week and compare the 120" vs 135" picture. Once I determine which one works best for my HT.. I will then proceed to order the proper screen size.

Im happy to hear how bright the image is. Seems like I will have no issue shooting a 135" screen from about 15-17 feet away.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #115 of 2935 Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 PM

I have two issues

1) My room is very narrow (6.3ft wide x 20ft long)
2) The roof if made of Gypsum (plasterboard), so ceiling mounting is probably not an option

There is a shelf at the end of the room, and I can place the projector dead center (near the ceiling). My only concern is that I won't be able to control the zoom. Is it possible to get a 105" image from 20ft away?

The main use will be for gaming, and right now the placement worries are the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger. I live in Costa Rica, and there's not much in the way of demo rooms/ experts out here to lend a hand

Any help would be much appreciated!
post #116 of 2935 Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

How high is your room?

105" inch screen on a 6.3ft wall? or a 16.3ft wall?

post #117 of 2935 Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Amazon (Prime), Projector People, and J&R all have the HD131Xe listed at $799. Oh how quickly supply has stabilized.

post #118 of 2935 Old 08-27-2013, 07:33 AM

Just ordered this projector with an elite screens 100" 1.1 gain screen, can't wait to test it out!
post #119 of 2935 Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Liked: 11
I got one of the few that was in stock here in sweden and got it sent to me from Germany. So on thursday i have it biggrin.gif
However. I bought a 2:34.1 screen 100". Ive seen the projector calculator and it says that i need 3.6m to reach 100 on that aspectratio. But will it "fit" a 16;9 image on my 100 or will it zoom in so the black borders dissapear? Im confused...
post #120 of 2935 Old 08-27-2013, 04:17 PM

Liked: 11
I have a dedicated media room that is 19L x14w and I was set on getting the Epson 8350 either a demo unit or ebay since I won't be doing too much 3d, maybe a little on the playstation. But now after the reviews this Optoma is looking better and better. I was going to get a 120" screen from James town screens too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - Hd131xe by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page