Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 2940 Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

This just showed me how incredibly important proper settings and calibration is.

...i changed the projector's picture mode to bright and i couldnt believe the difference. It looks absolutely amazing and unless my eyes are tricking me...this is coming damn damn close to my plasma that i used to have.

This may sound weird...or maybe not at all, but at many times i actually prefer this picture over what plasma produces.

Proper calibration and the "bright" mode of the projector should never be used together unless you're going to comment about how terrible the bright mode is for calibration.

The bright mode is the WORST mode for the projector as far as color accuracy and contrast goes. In fact, it is like that on the majority of projectors these days.

Bright mode cranks BrilliantColor to the max, which blows out highlights and erases fine detail, in addition to providing an extreme green push.

It's not really acceptable for movies, but it may be OK for non critical viewing like Sports, video games and maybe TV shows during the day.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2940 Old 12-08-2013, 09:07 AM

Liked: 11
Just got a HD25e from costco. So impressed! For the price this projector really rocks. Still waiting for my screen and sound system to arrive, but just blown away by what this does against a bare wall. Makes me rethink my screen purchase a bit.

Projector is very sharp corner to corner. Waiting for the popcorn hour to test out some 3d content.
post #1443 of 2940 Old 12-08-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

Proper calibration and the "bright" mode of the projector should never be used together unless you're going to comment about how terrible the bright mode is for calibration.

The bright mode is the WORST mode for the projector as far as color accuracy and contrast goes. In fact, it is like that on the majority of projectors these days.

Bright mode cranks BrilliantColor to the max, which blows out highlights and erases fine detail, in addition to providing an extreme green push.

It's not really acceptable for movies, but it may be OK for non critical viewing like Sports, video games and maybe TV shows during the day.

I haven't tried any movies yet, but i always say.....even if it's not how it's ' supposed' to be, if it makes me happy and i am satisfied with it, that's enough. For gaming (and that is where the majority of my projector time goes into ) i;ve never had it looking this good before. smile.gif

By the way, not sure if you thought this, but i am not using the bright lamp setting, lamp is set to eco.
post #1444 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 08:05 AM

Liked: 10

Got my HD131xe on Friday and here are my first impressions, coming from a Mitsu HC1500:

It's supposed to be brighter that my old HC1500, but I don't really notice it by looking at the picture. I notice it by looking at the room: It lights up the room so much that the blacks become washed out in bright scenes.

You can't just place it where an HC1500 was. The offset is very different.

This thing is not friendly to Monoprice universal mounts. The spacing between holes is just too small. Also, they should have included the M3 screws, but they were easy to find. I ended up ordering a new mount especially made for the Optoma.

I did notice the effect Sodaboy is reporting, but it might be just my mind filtering reality through his report.

It constantly disconnects when plugged to an NVIDIA GTX 770 card, but works flawlessly with a Mac, a Blu-ray player and an AppleTV. Maybe it's my card.

Having 1080p instead of 720p means the pixel structure is now almost invisible for THX viewing distances. I said almost... You can still notice it in the progress bar of the AppleTV or in subtitles. I guess we'll have to wait for 4K to render pixels totally invisible.

On the other hand, in 1080p the deficiencies of movies become more apparent. You see more grain, the makeup looks faker, etc. 720p is more forgiving.

I haven't noticed any "noise" effect, even in dark areas, even when pausing and carefully examining the surface of the screen. My previous projectors (Infocus IN72 and Mitsu HC1500) had visible image noise in dark areas when I paused and walked near the screen.

On a positive note, the thing is dead silent compared to my Mitsu HC1500. In low lamp mode I just can't hear it from my seat. But it does make a lot of fan noise when you turn it off.

post #1445 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Good review. I'm still on the fence about this projector. I have been using an hd72 for 6 years and just replaced the lamp. Still looks good to me but I know these new optoma projectors must be better. And I am missing out on 3d which isnt too terrible because I mostly watch 2d. If I'm confident they have fixed the focus issue I might just go for one.
post #1446 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 AM

HD131Xe color wheel info (from Optoma rep): 2x 6 Segment (RYGCWB)

disappointing ... explains the RBE
post #1447 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadius View Post

Yes, if RBE bothers you this is not the projector for you. I have owned two other projectors (Infocus X1 and Optoma HD70) and this projector's RBE is no improvement.
It is not a problem for me but there are moments in some movies when I do see it.
post #1448 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 01:42 PM

This might be a stupid question, but: How can it have a 2x color wheel and yet be able to handle 3D without becoming the rainbow bridge to the Valhalla? As I understand it, 3D effectively halves the "color refresh rate" of the projector, right? Yet nobody in this thread has reported nasty RBE in 3D.

post #1449 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqui3D View Post

This might be a stupid question, but: How can it have a 2x color wheel and yet be able to handle 3D without becoming the rainbow bridge to the Valhalla? As I understand it, 3D effectively halves the "color refresh rate" of the projector, right? Yet nobody in this thread has reported nasty RBE in 3D.

I don't know the answer, but perhaps the correlation you are assuming is not so.

3D works very well with this projector.
post #1450 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Thanks.

BTW, after careful calculations I have chosen a mount with variable drop, as no "fixed drop" mount will do for my space. (I have ceiling fans). Does anyone have any experience with mounts of this type?

http://www.klipxtreme.com/us/products/entertainment-and-productivity/projector-mounts/klipx-projection-mount-kpm-580w-150-tilt-base-white#features

post #1451 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The hd30 I've owned for a while, has a color wheel of 6 segments (RGBRGB) that rotates on 2x or 3x speed, depending on the mode. Since all these projectors are variations of the hd25, I believe that they share the same wheel.
post #1452 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

BTW, after careful calculations I have chosen a mount with variable drop, as no "fixed drop" mount will do for my space. (I have ceiling fans). Does anyone have any experience with mounts of this type?
http://www.klipxtreme.com/us/products/entertainment-and-productivity/projector-mounts/klipx-projection-mount-kpm-580w-150-tilt-base-white#features

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TUDOQ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1386456875&sr=8-3&pi=SL75
This mount that I gave you the link to is similar to the one you have in you post. It is a variable although perhaps the measurements aren't what you need. Either about 5.5 inches or 18 to 28 inches. (convert to mm's to get the numbers that make sense to you.)

I used the shorter fixed length for my purpose. The connection to the HD131XE was not as easy as I would have liked. But it worked. And it had all the necessary correct screws included.

The cost was cheap, yet the mount is very strong and adjusts easily.
post #1453 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 02:26 PM

Yes, I've noticed this Optoma is a bit difficult to mount with universal mounts because the holes are just too close... And also because of the small heads in M3 screws. So, what was the trick you had to use to make it work?

post #1454 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Yes, I've noticed this Optoma is a bit difficult to mount with universal mounts because the holes are just too close... And also because of the small heads in M3 screws. So, what was the trick you had to use to make it work?

I can only address the mount I purchased and linked to you. I do not know what you are looking at or dealing with. The screws that came with the mount I used fit.
It just took moving the arms of the mount around until the holes lined up. The included screws fit perfectly.

AND I may have used washers to help it fit better. I remember that washers were included and I used them in parts of the construction.
post #1455 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 03:30 PM

A brief update on that HD131Xe I was able to order at Staples last week for $600-ish:

They sent me an email explaining that the vendor was out of stock, and wouldn't again have stock until the end of December. Projected delivery to me by or before Jan. 15th.

Sigh. I'm just going to wait, and I'm looking on the bright side in that now I have lots of time to get the room together, and perhaps this is a sign that Optoma has pulled back some stock in order order to get ahead of the focus issue. Maybe I'll get a "fixed" version right out of the gate. Hope so.
post #1456 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Looks like the EStar 3D kit already jumped $5 to $69. Kind of mad I didn't order them yesterday!

http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-ESG6100-RF-3D-Starter/dp/B00D39AUCI

post #1457 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Projector arrived today and I hung it tonight. My old mount would not work and I ordered this one from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Vantage-Point-CGUPM12-S-Universal-Projector/dp/B00067OOHC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386655388&sr=1-1&keywords=vantage+point+wall+mount

Did not love the mount, but it worked.

Without any fine tuning, I am pleased with the picture, especially for the price. Comparing this to my Acer 9500BD, the 131Xe has a little more pop. The Acer had a loud iris that I eventually disabled so the Optoma's black levels are close if not as good.

I need to spend some time calibrating the projector and try out the 3D, but my initial impressions are that this projector performs at a higher price point vs what I paid. I don't seem to have any lens/focus issues with any of the test patterns I threw on the screen. I definitely need to dial in the colors better. More to come. Oh, and man this thing is tiny and light.
post #1458 of 2940 Old 12-09-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

It also explains the low price.
post #1459 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Projector arrived today and I hung it tonight. My old mount would not work and I ordered this one from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Vantage-Point-CGUPM12-S-Universal-Projector/dp/B00067OOHC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386655388&sr=1-1&keywords=vantage+point+wall+mount

Did not love the mount, but it worked.

Is there a special tool that came with the mount for those screws? Or do they take a regular Allen key?

I ask because I have a similar one (about 4 years old and is black), and hex keys do not work with it. Seems like it needs a special pattern tool, which I can't find. Been trying to figure out how I'm going to get my old Sony off of it when the Optoma arrives.

post #1460 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 04:40 AM

I think I was being picky with the buzzing noise; the replacement arrived from Amazon today and it not only makes the same buzzing noise but also had the focus issues in the bottom right corner (was really bad). I'm lucky my original doesn't have this problem. Also it's not mounted yet and was just sitting on my computer table that's next to me in line with my ear which probably made it worse. Thankfully my ceiling mount has now arrived.
post #1461 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 07:16 AM

I don't actually own the HD131XE, but rather it's sibling, the HD25e. I was wondering if the community has settled on any optimal picture settings for this PJ. I'm a bit of a calibration novice and the picture out of the box in Cinema mode feels a bit washed out and lacking some shadow detail.

post #1462 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 07:27 AM

Here are some numbers that did well for me from a post by Mikemav:

Display Mode:User
Brightness:0
Contrast:-3
Sharpness:9
Colour:9
Tint:2
Advanced
Noise Reduction:0
Gamma:Film
BrilliantColor:1
Dynamic Black: High (the original post said "off", Poster augiedoggy recommends using it and I agree. (Unless the higher sound levels bother you.)
Colour Temperature:Warm
Colour Settings:White - Red 0/Green 0/Blue -1, Red - Hue 0/Saturation -1/Gain -10, Green - H 10/S -2/G -3, Blue - H 10/S 0/G -22, Cyan - H 8/S -4/G -3, Magenta - H 19/S 4/G -16, Yellow - H 20/S -7/G 4
Colour Space:Auto
Format:Native
Arqui3D likes this.
post #1463 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post

Is there a special tool that came with the mount for those screws? Or do they take a regular Allen key?

I ask because I have a similar one (about 4 years old and is black), and hex keys do not work with it. Seems like it needs a special pattern tool, which I can't find. Been trying to figure out how I'm going to get my old Sony off of it when the Optoma arrives.

It looks like an allen wrench to me, but I can check later. If you know the company you bought it from, you should be able to contact them and find out what size/style wrench it is. I would find it odd that they would use a custom one.
post #1464 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 AM

Liked: 12
I've had my HD131xe from Amazon for a couple weeks and really enjoy it. However, I have now noticed that I do have the the corner focus issue described in this thread. Doesn't bother me during movies, but can tell when text on tv or in games shows up. When ceiling mounted the top left and bottom right corners can't both seem to be in focus at the same time.

I have also noticed the bottom (4-5" or so) seems slightly bowed. For example, when watching a sports game with a ticker on the bottom, there is a slight bow the line of ticker that goes across the screen. It bows down so the line is about .25-.5" lower on the edges of the screen vs the middle of the screen. It's not something that ruins the experience for me, but I know it's there and it that just seems to bug me.

Anyone else come across this bowing effect?

I believe I have the projector lined up correctly. The projector is about 12.5' feet from the screen. I have a 100" screen and the top of the screen is 8" below the center of the lens and the lens is also lined up with the middle of the screen. I am not using any keystone or image adjustment settings. I originally had the screen only about 4" below the lens so I lowered the screen hoping that would fix the bowing issue. It might have helped a bit, but didn't fix it.

Seems like some have had success sending directly to Optoma, but I might want to wait until the new year as I don't want to be without the projector with family here over the holidays. I am wondering if I should try a replacement from Amazon first and see if I can get an unit without any issues. Does anyone know if Amazon sends a replacement first before I would need to send this one back? I'll talk to Amazon also, just thought I would see if anyone had first hand experience.

Thanks for any insight!
post #1465 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgronseth View Post

I have also noticed the bottom (4-5" or so) seems slightly bowed. For example, when watching a sports game with a ticker on the bottom, there is a slight bow the line of ticker that goes across the screen. It bows down so the line is about .25-.5" lower on the edges of the screen vs the middle of the screen. It's not something that ruins the experience for me, but I know it's there and it that just seems to bug me.

I believe I have the projector lined up correctly.

I have this same bowing problem, but I never really cared too much about it. Only happens at the VERY bottom of the image, like you said. Screen and projector are perfectly aligned otherwise.

Optoma repaired my focus issue, maybe you can bring up both if you decide to send the unit in for repairs and see what they do? I'd rather not be without my projector for another week, so I am just living with it now.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #1466 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

I have this same bowing problem, but I never really cared too much about it. Only happens at the VERY bottom of the image, like you said. Screen and projector are perfectly aligned otherwise.

Optoma repaired my focus issue, maybe you can bring up both if you decide to send the unit in for repairs and see what they do? I'd rather not be without my projector for another week, so I am just living with it now.

Good to know I am not the only one with the slight bowing at the bottom.

How long did the repair process take with Optoma? I think you mentioned it earlier in the thread but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!
post #1467 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How long did the repair process take with Optoma? I think you mentioned it earlier in the thread but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

About a week. Dropped it off on Friday, got it back on Thursday.

May be a little longer since you're shipping it. They are local to me, so I just drove to their office.

Current HT setup:

post #1468 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:

I've had my HD131xe from Amazon for a couple weeks and really enjoy it. However, I have now noticed that I do have the the corner focus issue described in this thread. Doesn't bother me during movies, but can tell when text on tv or in games shows up. When ceiling mounted the top left and bottom right corners can't both seem to be in focus at the same time.

I believe I have the projector lined up correctly. The projector is about 12.5' feet from the screen. I have a 100" screen and the top of the screen is 8" below the center of the lens and the lens is also lined up with the middle of the screen. I am not using any keystone or image adjustment settings. I originally had the screen only about 4" below the lens so I lowered the screen hoping that would fix the bowing issue. It might have helped a bit, but didn't fix it.

Seems like some have had success sending directly to Optoma, but I might want to wait until the new year as I don't want to be without the projector with family here over the holidays. I am wondering if I should try a replacement from Amazon first and see if I can get an unit without any issues. Does anyone know if Amazon sends a replacement first before I would need to send this one back? I'll talk to Amazon also, just thought I would see if anyone had first hand experience.

Thanks for any insight!

Amazon sent my replacement first.
post #1469 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Some shots of mine setup. I need to buy a smaller power cord from Monoprice and tuck the HDMI cable back into the ceiling . As you can see, I have some ambient light to deal with during the day, but we only watch at night usually when it is dark:

post #1470 of 2940 Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Some shots of mine setup. I need to buy a smaller power cord from Monoprice and tuck the HDMI cable back into the ceiling . As you can see, I have some ambient light to deal with during the day, but we only watch at night usually when it is dark:

There's some dual sub awesomeness going on here, but where are your speakers?

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - Hd131xe by PriceGrabber.com