Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

Yeah, I too have had great experiences with Amazon. I'm not questioning how reputable they are as a company. My main curiosity was this: Let's say I get the 131xe from Amazon, and there's nothing wrong with the projector itself, but the throw distance doesn't work well, too bright, or any other personal reasons why I don't like it. With Best Buy, you have 15 days to "try it out", and you can return it for a full refund within 15 days. My question is does Amazon have a similar return policy if I sent it back in mint condition?
Well, my first thought is: what is your throw distance? That is something that the Projector Calculator can figure out.
And as to it being too bright; that is a good thing, especially if you turn off all the artificial reasons it is too bright and dial in the great image this pj can give. And as the lamp ages and dims you will be glad to have a projector capable of restoring its bright image with a few adjustments.
As to just not liking it and returning it because of even just buyers remorse, I don't know what to say. I have returned speakers to Costco just because I didn't like their sound once I sat down and gave them a good listen. For full refund.
So I have no answer because I feel like I am in the same boat as you. I don't. I know how I would feel if I bought a new projector and received one someone had demoed and rejected for whatever reason. I would prefer to be the first one to get a "new" piece of gear.

You have gotten so many stories from Amazon that I don't see how you can trust your purchase. Perhaps explain your worst case scenario to someone there and get a written guarantee.

Or wait for Best Buy to get one in stock.

Good luck.

So how far is it from your screen to your mounting position, and what size is your screen?

Here's the Projection Calculator:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-projection-calculator-pro.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I purchased a TV from amazon they allow returns no problem. I think there is a restocking fee if you destroy the original box and materials it came with. If you pack it back up and return it there is no restocking fee. No store carries these projectors that I'm aware of.
post #1623 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Well crap... I originally thought my 131Xe did not have a lens focus issue but I was wrong. It is only in the extreme bottom right corner. Nowhere else, bottom left, center, and upper corners are all very crisp and clear.

I am on the fence. I have not even noticed anything off up to this point and I have watched a lot of TV, sporting events, and movies on it. I probably never would have noticed it without testing for it.... That said I will be getting a PS4 for Christmas so not sure if the issue will become more apparent then..

My options:
Keep it as is.
Send it to Optoma to get fixed
Return it to Amazon and get something else

I am a little frustrated. I really don't want to be without a projector right now so sending it to Optoma would be the least likely choice. I am guessing I would not get it back until January. I guess I can wait and then send it to Optoma while we are traveling on vacation early next year... I also don't like the idea of needing to get my brand new projector fixed...

I could send it back to Amazon for a replacement but I suspect the replacement will have the same issue, and may even be worse.

I could send it back to Amazon and get something else (BenQ W1070?)
post #1624 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Well crap...

That was my thought when I went through the same process this last week. smile.gif
post #1625 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Ok, so for all of those wondering...here's the gist with Amazon. I called back AGAIN and knew instantly the guy was not going to be helpful: fast speaker, poor english, phones ringing in the background. I asked to be transfered to someone who could understand me better. I got on with a manager who spoke clear English. Finally! Anyhow, he confirmed to me that if you make the purchase before the end of December I believe, you have until January 31st to use the item, and if you are unahppy with it for whatever reason, you can get a full refund. He even wrote a note in the computer which he read back to me stating, "I clarified with the customer about his uncertainty regarding returning an opened item (projector). I verified to him that he will not be charged a restocking fee or charged return shipping if the buyer chooses to return the item." He did state, of course, that the item couldn't be scratched, broken, and that the packaging had to be in nice shape.

It's a holiday return timeline as of now, so for anyone wanting to purchase things from them, now is a good time knowing full well you have a full refund if needed. Just put my order in for the 131xw! Will post impressions soon!
post #1626 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Well crap... I originally thought my 131Xe did not have a lens focus issue but I was wrong. It is only in the extreme bottom right corner. Nowhere else, bottom left, center, and upper corners are all very crisp and clear.

I am on the fence. I have not even noticed anything off up to this point and I have watched a lot of TV, sporting events, and movies on it. I probably never would have noticed it without testing for it.... That said I will be getting a PS4 for Christmas so not sure if the issue will become more apparent then..

My options:
Keep it as is.

I am a little frustrated. I really don't want to be without a projector right now so sending it to Optoma would be the least likely choice. I am guessing I would not get it back until January. I guess I can wait and then send it to Optoma while we are traveling on vacation early next year... I also don't like the idea of needing to get my brand new projector fixed...

I could send it back to Amazon for a replacement but I suspect the replacement will have the same issue, and may even be worse.

What I would do if I were you is purchase the Benq 1070 from Best Buy (knowing full well you have 15 days to test it out and return it for a full refund). That way you will have both in your hand. You can then decide if the Benq is something you even like, and if so, can exchange it for the Optoma. Or, if you don't like the Benq for whatever reason, you can send it in to Optoma for a fix!
post #1627 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

My options:
Keep it as is.

This is most often question biggrin.gif Send it for repair or get Benq biggrin.gif

I contacted Optoma service Germany, I have to pay shipping cost, and they pay it back.. They say optical alingment repair is about 5 days ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgronseth View Post

That was my thought when I went through the same process this last week. smile.gif

What You decided ? Repair or benq ?
post #1628 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velikigrizli View Post

What You decided ? Repair or benq ?

Benq - you can look back at my posts of the past week to follow the process.
post #1629 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 03:26 PM

Liked: 90
I am in the same boat except I have had my projector too long to return.

I have no focus problem in the narrow zoom position, but when I move from my 100"" screen to a 120" screen I will be fighting the problem. Tests and guesstimates show me that I have the effect although I "think" I have a very narrow area of adjustment where everything is in focus. But I am certain that with heating and cooling cycles I will have to make periodic adjustments. My projector is 100" high and behind the wall of a cabinet. Not an easy reach. I'll be RMAing it someday I'm sure.

The QC wasn't too good on this otherwise fine Projector.
post #1630 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Sincerely, best of luck to those of you returning your 131's for other projectors.
Please let us know how it goes with the next one(s), since you can give first hand comparisons with the 131.

Just be prepared for the possibility that even the W1070, a model that BenQ has been manufacturing for over 1 year, still can have less-than-perfect focus uniformity across the entire zoom range:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000/6690#post_23924343

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000/6690#post_23928861
post #1631 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 06:12 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNagy View Post

According to the manual, the offset is supposed to be 16% of image height. The projector calculator rounds that to the nearest inch, so I wouldn't rely on the calculator except as a general guideline.

The fact that you guys a measuring a radically different offset is... troubling. Either Optoma has some really inconsistent build quality, or their documentation is flat out wrong, or you guys aren't measuring accurately. But if Optoma is screwing things up, it's gonna be hard to measure accurately! Too many variables!

I planned to use my laser level to do my up/down alignment, but that requires an accurate offset number to work with. You know, something like:

1. Use laser to shoot a line from the top of the visible screen, over to the projector wall. (Hang a temporary"wall", if the projector is going to be out in the middle of the room.) Mark that level.
  2. Measure up or down from that line, by the (image-height * 0.16) distance. Mark that.
  3. Mount the projector so the center of the lens is at the height of that second mark.
  4. Tilt the projector up/down and adjust zoom until the projected image precisely fills your screen, top to bottom.

If the offset is 16%, the above ought to result in your projector being perfectly level and at just the right height in relation to your screen. If the offset isn't 16%, then God knows what you'll get. You can try to level the projector a different way, I guess. If you can get that dead accurate (unlikely), then I guess you can measure the offset with more laser-level hijinks.

^ I like this. I'll be doing similar when I make my setup permanent this weekend. Now that I truly know what zero lens shift means - building the room around the projector, I'm going to get serious about it. And yes, it does hurt coming from a PJ that had 2x zoom and enough lens shift to take its own selfie.

post #1632 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkaboutav View Post

^ I like this. I'll be doing similar when I make my setup permanent this weekend. Now that I truly know what zero lens shift means - building the room around the projector, I'm going to get serious about it. And yes, it does hurt coming from a PJ that had 2x zoom and enough lens shift to take its own selfie.

That does sound flexible! tongue.gif

Yeah, I'm "building a room" around a projector I don't even have yet. (It's on back order.) So I'm doing it with theoretical calculations only. I started out assuming that I wanted to wall mount the PJ, and that it would be preferable if I could bolt the mount into a stud. Happily, there was one pretty darn close to the center of the of back wall. So, that's where everything else is measured from. Since the lens is offset 59mm from the center of the mount, that's where the horizontal center of the screen needed to be in relation to that stud. The vertical position of the screen is determined by comfortable eye-lines, and the height of my speakers and stuff, so that in turn determines the height the projector needs to be. Back and forth it goes.
post #1633 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Should have a BenQ W1070 in my hands tomorrow for a direct comaprison. The lens focus issue on my Optoma is in the extreme corner and is really not noticeable at all. But I know it exists...
post #1634 of 2886 Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedelbach View Post

Sincerely, best of luck to those of you returning your 131's for other projectors.
Please let us know how it goes with the next one(s), since you can give first hand comparisons with the 131.

Just be prepared for the possibility that even the W1070, a model that BenQ has been manufacturing for over 1 year, still can have less-than-perfect focus uniformity across the entire zoom range:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000/6690#post_23924343

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000/6690#post_23928861
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgronseth View Post

Much Much better than optoma frown.gif
post #1635 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 12:11 AM

Does optoma use 120 or 144 Hz VESA LINK glasses (RF ) Will optoma hd131xe work with 120 Hz glasses?

I need answer as soon as possible biggrin.gif

Google is useless, also use manuall, nothig about frequency.

This glasses are declared as 120 Hz

http://www.ebay.de/itm/3D-RF-PRO-KIT-System-fur-Optoma-HD33-GT750-HD300X-RF-3D-XL-RF-Brille-Sender-/151172986858?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_3D_TV_Brillen_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item23329cb7ea
post #1636 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:

Should have a BenQ W1070 in my hands tomorrow for a direct comaprison. The lens focus issue on my Optoma is in the extreme corner and is really not noticeable at all. But I know it exists...

Great ! Waiting for your feedback !
post #1637 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 01:25 AM

Liked: 11
wOriWS

To get a larger sized screen in a room one could look beyond the room, if the logistics make it possible. I have my projector mounted in a cabinet that is above the back wall. The projector is a foot behind the wall shooting through a hole. 13 feet away is a 100" screen. I can go as large as 120". There is no sound from the projector.

post #1638 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Does optoma use 120 or 144 Hz VESA LINK glasses (RF ) Will optoma hd131xe work with 120 Hz glasses?

I need answer as soon as possible biggrin.gif

Google is useless, also use manuall, nothig about frequency.

This glasses are declared as 120 Hz

http://www.ebay.de/itm/3D-RF-PRO-KIT-System-fur-Optoma-HD33-GT750-HD300X-RF-3D-XL-RF-Brille-Sender-/151172986858?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_3D_TV_Brillen_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item23329cb7ea

In the reviews from amazon people state they use 144hz RF sainsonic glasses. So it must use 144hz
post #1639 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpology26 View Post

In the reviews from amazon people state they use 144hz RF sainsonic glasses. So it must use 144hz

I believe it supports the following 3D specs:
Vertical Scan Rate 24–85Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz
Horizontal Scan Rate 15.375–91.146KHz
post #1640 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 08:35 AM

Hot off the presses... Projector Reviews has their review out -

http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/review-optoma-hd131xe-projector/
post #1641 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

Hot off the presses... Projector Reviews has their review out -

http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/review-optoma-hd131xe-projector/
Not really, we discussed it already 3 pages back and 2 days ago.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #1642 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:

I believe it supports the following 3D specs:
Vertical Scan Rate 24–85Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz
Horizontal Scan Rate 15.375–91.146KHz

Projector ?

How can I even have 144 Hz when no PC hdmi graphic card nor BR players support 1080 72p ? hmm
post #1643 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Projector ?

How can I even have 144 Hz when no PC hdmi graphic card nor BR players support 1080 72p ? hmm

I think that output rate is for the projector only. It's not an input rate. Input rate is still 1080p 24fps.

The projector takes the 24fps input, converts and shows it as 144fps. (72 frames/flashes per eye, 2 eyes each, for a total of 144fps.)

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #1644 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If those comparative screenshots are anywhere near representative, it's hard to see how one would prefer the Epson picture. RBE, I guess.

But the Amazon customers seem to like the Epson, so...
post #1645 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 04:52 PM

Got mine Monday and finally got the screen rearranged and the projector all hooked up. I have only had a few hours with it and no calibration whatsoever but here are some initial pros and cons. I am coming from an ae-900u and am by no means qualified to give my opinions as a professional:

Cons:

I hate the hour glass that spins when you switch sources.

The power button on the projector should be illuminated so it's easy to find in the dark. It has a power light but it's not on the power button

The remote looks and feels cheap

No component input

1080i for watching cable TV in HD movies is mediocre. Looks grainy/noisy/pixelated (of that's a word)

I don't like the light that leaks from the front of the unit

Color is not accurate right out of the box (too warm/orang) No lens cap or cleaning cloth

You have to point the remote directly at the unit in order for it to work

Throw range and projector height (although you can compensate with the image shift)

No level bubble (I think all projectors should have this to make installation easier)

Pros:

Small

10x better than 720p

EXCELLENT 1080p

Although I am not using, it has image shift that does not affect the picture quality from what I could tell (keystone does). This will be really helpful for those that need to make some minor adjustments (it's like a digital lens shift).

When zoomed into the max the picture quality is not affected from what I can tell. I guess I was one of the lucky ones as the edges are crisp.

No rainbows

Nice contrast and dark blacks

Can't beat the value

In 1080p I swear it looks crisper than the theatre on my 106" da-lite

Not overly bright like I have heard some say

Have not had a chance to check out 3d yet but will post more as I get some more viewing/calibration time. Anyway if you are on the fence about this or the BenQ as I was, I would say just buy one...you can't ask for much more at this price point. This thing is all about Blu-ray. Will post some short clips in a few.

post #1646 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 04:59 PM

144hz...I bought a cheap set of the gmyle from amazon for the kids. Still waiting to test them.

post #1647 of 2886 Old 12-18-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the Optoma W1070 and set it up on the floor (I did not want to go through all the hassle of mounting it on the ceiling if I want to keep the Optoma). My initial thoughts:
- Definitely a little more noise than the 131Xe. I don't hear my Optoma much at all unless it shuts down and the fan spins up for about 10 seconds. The BenQ fan is pretty much always running (this was on eco/cinema mode). I don't think it is deal-breaker loud, but since the projector will be about 1' behind me I have some concerns.
- More light leakage than the Optoma. Again, not a deal-breaker, but a little more than I was expecting.
- Colors out of the box on the BenQ are definitely better than the Optoma out of the box (comparing cinema mode to cinema mode). Skin tones look much better (the Optoma tends to push red a little on default cinema mode). I don't think it would take much to get colors dialed into my liking with the BenQ. I also like the BenQ menu better (I just find it easier to navigate).
- Brilliant color on the BenQ is either on or off. Nothing in between. That said, when I did turn it on, I am not seeing much in the way of noise. So it seems to be useable without affecting PQ. My guess is on is somewhere around a 2-5 on the Optoma.
- I did use my Darbee Darblet video processor with both projectors. I set it in hidef mode at 45%. I tried it both on and off, and on gave me a better picture with both projectors.
- I am not seeing any focus issues with the lens, the PQ is great out of the box.
- While the colors are more accurate out of the box with the BenQ, the Optoma, to my eyes, has superior black level and shadow detail. The picture as a whole on the Optoma has more pop to it. Is there a night and day difference? No, the BenQ still is very solid, but the Optoma has the advantage. I would say the BenQ is a step down from my previous projector, an Acer 9500, but it is a nice step up over the Epson 2030, and 3020 (I owned the 3010).
- Lumen output wise, both these projectors are plenty bright for my 125" screen. The room is pretty dark, but I dimmed the lights and neither projector has any problems handling a little ambient light.

At this point, I can honestly say both these projectors are close in terms of performance. The BenQ has better color accuracy and I prefer the menu system and it does offer some vertical lens shift which I played with, and it is nice to have. The Optoma, on the other hand, has better black levels and the picture has more pop to it. I only tested Blu-Ray 2D at this point and I put on some HDTV channels that don't have much noise.

I am going to spend some more time with both of these tonight and tomorrow night. I want to try 3D on both and see how I like the RF emitter and glasses that arrived today for my Optoma. At this point, I am inclined to keep the Optoma and return the BenQ. I think the next 24 hours or so will be enough to make the decision. That said, these are both very good projectors for the money. I don't think you can go wrong with either, and there is not much else out there below $900 that can compete as far as I am concerned.

More to come.
post #1648 of 2886 Old 12-19-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1racer1 View Post

Got mine Monday and finally got the screen rearranged and the projector all hooked up. I have only had a few hours with it and no calibration whatsoever but here are some initial pros and cons. I am coming from an ae-900u and am by no means qualified to give my opinions as a professional:

Cons:
I hate the hour glass that spins when you switch sources.
The power button on the projector should be illuminated so it's easy to find in the dark. It has a power light but it's not on the power button
The remote looks and feels cheap
No component input
1080i for watching cable TV in HD movies is mediocre. Looks grainy/noisy/pixelated (of that's a word)
I don't like the light that leaks from the front of the unit
Color is not accurate right out of the box (too warm/orang) No lens cap or cleaning cloth
You have to point the remote directly at the unit in order for it to work
Throw range and projector height (although you can compensate with the image shift)
No level bubble (I think all projectors should have this to make installation easier)

Pros:
Small
10x better than 720p
EXCELLENT 1080p
Although I am not using, it has image shift that does not affect the picture quality from what I could tell (keystone does). This will be really helpful for those that need to make some minor adjustments (it's like a digital lens shift).
When zoomed into the max the picture quality is not affected from what I can tell. I guess I was one of the lucky ones as the edges are crisp.
No rainbows
Nice contrast and dark blacks
Can't beat the value
In 1080p I swear it looks crisper than the theatre on my 106" da-lite
Not overly bright like I have heard some say

Have not had a chance to check out 3d yet but will post more as I get some more viewing/calibration time. Anyway if you are on the fence about this or the BenQ as I was, I would say just buy one...you can't ask for much more at this price point. This thing is all about Blu-ray. Will post some short clips in a few.

Focusing issue ?

Ack_bk can you send images of center and most blurry corner ?
Racer , also if not too much trouble .

I would like to compare to my optoma... You can open windows notepad and type bunch of text , great for testing focus biggrin.gif

I have to repack Optoma in original box and send it by come posting service . I wonder how dangerous is for projector do be damaged by transport . I presume that in original box with air cushion that wont be trouble .
post #1649 of 2886 Old 12-19-2013, 12:42 AM

Thank you for your report, Ack_bk ! I'm in the same boat as you : coming from an Acer H9500BD, and wanting to change for a BenQ W1070 or the Optoma HD131Xe. I'm looking forward to your next post, but i think i'm now leaning toward the Optoma, just like you..

After tweaking it a bit, are you happy with the color of the Optoma, compared to the BenQ out of the box ?
And finally, who have the better black, contrast, and luminosity ? The Optoma or your ex Acer ?
post #1650 of 2886 Old 12-19-2013, 02:23 AM
GGB

Has anyone found some good 3D settings preferably using brilliant color? Default ones on projector are ok without brilliant color.

As soon as you use brilliant color the image turns blue/green, be nice to have the light output boost that it provides along with better color if possible.

I'm using the ZF2100 glasses.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page