Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 2942 Old 12-24-2013, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
This is puzzling. Since the top and bottom edge of the movie image is all the way to the top and bottom edges of the screen and there is extra white screen at the sides then you are not mistaking a 2.35 movie for a 16:9 aspect ratio movie. (most movies are 2.35 and not 1.77 {16:9} )
Are all the objects in the movie perfectly shaped? (round is perfectly round.)

I think ack_bk and anthony fremont must be closer to the solution.
This is a puzzlement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2942 Old 12-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Best wishes of this fine season to all!
post #1713 of 2942 Old 12-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

Just thought I'd randomly post some pictures of my apartment set up... Mount used is the $50 Monoprice wall mount. Projector, of course, is the HD131Xe. Screen, Elite Screens 100" 16:9 ezFrame Cine Grey.

Nice! Little more cable management and you'll have a very clean setup.
The PJ wall mount is fairly uncommon, but a very useful thing IMO. Had an Ikea wall TV mount flipped upside down and attached to a Chief for my original XW15 and then Z2000 in five different apartments and one house until the latest 131Xe got a ceiling mount.

Happy holidays all!
PS: if you haven't already, get Predator 3D.... awesome!
post #1714 of 2942 Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 PM

Today I received a pair of MOACC DLP-LINK 3D glasses from Amazon. They come in a nice box and have a charger cable included. (as well as a black storage bag, cleaning cloth and instructions.)
They fit nicely over prescription glasses. They look good and feel sturdy.
They reverse polarity with an extra push of the on/off switch.
They do an okay job. The problem is they do not make the black in 3D equal to 2D black. My ESG601s do a seemingly perfect job of making the blacks black.

The MOACCs only cost $23 and for that price are fine as backups. But I cannot recommend them as good enough. They are attractive and sturdy but I know the DLP-LINK image can have better blacks than they offer. The contrast seems good except that black is not quite good enough.

If the Estar ESG601s are an A, the MOACCs are a C+ or B-.
steve71 likes this.
post #1715 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 12:07 AM

Liked: 11
I just got mine today, and I'm having some problems. I'm projecting on to a wall, and it looks very washed out. The black bars in no way resemble black. Would getting a screen and painting the walls really help?
post #1716 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCreepinaVan View Post

I just got mine today, and I'm having some problems. I'm projecting on to a wall, and it looks very washed out. The black bars in no way resemble black. Would getting a screen and painting the walls really help?

There is a trade off with projection. To me the blacks are quite good on my white screen. But they aren't black.

Perhaps a gray screen would help you. And DIY screen makers have lots of good ideas. There is a forum here for that.

I love the picture quality I am getting with my hd131xe.
But this is all subjective. I prefer the projected image to LCD and Plasma.

Keep Brilliant Color at 2 maximum, off or 1 works. Try using Dynamic Black in menu.

Hope others chime in.

Good luck.
post #1717 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

There is a trade off with projection. To me the blacks are quite good on my white screen. But they aren't black.

Perhaps a gray screen would help you. And DIY screen makers have lots of good ideas. There is a forum here for that.

I love the picture quality I am getting with my hd131xe.
But this is all subjective. I prefer the projected image to LCD and Plasma.

Keep Brilliant Color at 2 maximum, off or 1 works. Try using Dynamic Black in menu.

Hope others chime in.

Good luck.

I love the picture now. I put a dark blanket on the ceiling above the image, and it made the whole room darker and really improved the picture quality.

I've been using the calibration settings posted on page 49, although I perfer the warmer look with the advanced color settings on default.
post #1718 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCreepinaVan View Post

I love the picture now. I put a dark blanket on the ceiling above the image, and it made the whole room darker and really improved the picture quality.

I've been using the calibration settings posted on page 49, although I perfer the warmer look with the advanced color settings on default.

Excellent solution. This projector puts out enough light that it warrants painting the walls and ceiling darker tones to cut back on reflected light.

Glad you are enjoying your picture now.
I like those settings on page 49 and I quite understand that some prefer different looks. I have changed a few of the numbers on those settings myself; it is subjective.

Good luck and enjoy your projector.
post #1719 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I received the Optoma HD131xw a few days ago and we watched a movie at my parents house with it. It's a tradition on Xmas eve to watch some kind of drama, action film. My dad was pretty amped about using the projector for the movie so they moved the furniture around and everything. Brought my speakers over and reciever. The setup was quite nice. We settled on renting the movie "Argo" (which was pretty damn good). I told my dad that they have it Blu Ray at the Rainbow foods. Xmas eve rolled around and I popped in the movie in the Blu Ray player and fired it up. We began watching it and everyone loved the big screen. But something felt off to me. It didn't scream blu ray quality. But I just rolled with the punches. Some parts looked nice, whereas others just felt like a normal film that we would watch on a DVD player.

.....And that's because my dad rented Argo....in DVD, NOT Blu Ray! I thought, "Ah man....I knew something was up!" I'm getting the Benq 1080ST this Friday and will post my impressions and pictures of both in Blu Ray quality, not DVD, lol. Merry xmas to all!
post #1720 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 12:56 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Can you measure the width and height of the screen (not the borders) and post the dimensions here just in case it is the screen. Otherwise I would manually select the 16:9 format in the projector menu and also make sure the projector is perfectly straight and level.

Sorry for the slightly late reply.

The white part is 48" from top to bottom and 88" from left to right.

post #1721 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngtrekkie View Post

Perhaps take a photo of the entire screen with a movie displayed that shows the problem. And it would be good if there was something perfectly round within the scene.
post #1722 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 01:50 PM

I'm having an issue with my 131Xw.

During dark scenes and black screen transitions, there is light outside the 1080p image area. It's very subtle--and unnoticeable in bright scenes--but in dark scenes it takes you out of the movie. It's like a a square going outwards at the bottom. I have the projector sitting on a shelf in the back and not ceiling mounted.
post #1723 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik View Post

I'm having an issue with my 131Xw.

During dark scenes and black screen transitions, there is light outside the 1080p image area. It's very subtle--and unnoticeable in bright scenes--but in dark scenes it takes you out of the movie. It's like a a square going outwards at the bottom. I have the projector sitting on a shelf in the back and not ceiling mounted.

I also own the 131Xw. Do you mean there is a slight grayish border that surrounds the screen that is being displayed? I know some, including myself, have had that occur with this projector.
post #1724 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Perhaps take a photo of the entire screen with a movie displayed that shows the problem. And it would be good if there was something perfectly round within the scene.

As you can see there's a huge black bar on the right hand side, that's all my free white space.

Also I don't know whether you can tell in that photo but the image is very slightly wonky, in reality it's VERY wonky but I have a coaster under one of the back legs (the projector isn't mounted yet).

post #1725 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:

As you can see there's a huge black bar on the right hand side, that's all my free white space.
Also I don't know whether you can tell in that photo but the image is very slightly wonky, in reality it's VERY wonky but I have a coaster under one of the back legs (the projector isn't mounted yet).
Make sure your Blu-ray player is correct. Use same output with 16X9 tv to check.
make sure lens is centered on screen.
make sure you are approximately 6" above or below screen. Offset necessity.

On display section of PJ menu (Format) try all settings. 16X9 or Native is what you will end up with. Try them all briefly.

Make sure nothing is blocking light path.

Something internal may be wrong. Can't be sure yet.

Good luck

Here is the hd131xe projection calculator just in case you haven't seen it: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-projection-calculator-pro.htm
post #1726 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Make sure your Blu-ray player is correct. Use same output with 16X9 tv to check.
make sure lens is centered on screen.
make sure you are approximately 6" above or below screen. Offset necessity.

On display section of PJ menu (Format) try all settings. 16X9 or Native is what you will end up with. Try them all briefly.

Make sure nothing is blocking light path.

Something internal may be wrong. Can't be sure yet.

Good luck

Yep tried all that and no luck. I'm really hoping it's not a problem with the projector. The only setting that very nearly fills the whole screen was superwide but I'm sure it's not really meant to be on that setting.
post #1727 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Yep tried all that and no luck. I'm really hoping it's not a problem with the projector. The only setting that very nearly fills the whole screen was superwide but I'm sure it's not really meant to be on that setting.

superwide bad. below information just in case.

using phone to communicate and keep losing my posts so I am speaking as little as possible.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Yor PJ may be broken. But seems odd.
DMD Chip may the problem.
post #1728 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:

A 48" tall screen should be 85" wide for 16x9. An 88" wide screen should be 50" high.
post #1729 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony fremont View Post

A 48" tall screen should be 85" wide for 16x9. An 88" wide screen should be 50" high.
Good point. My screen is 87" wide and 49" high
post #1730 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony fremont View Post

I'm confused then, don't know whether it's the screen or the PJ.

But I'll have to get a replacement from Amazon, after messing about with it a bit more I've just noticed on the left of the image is a 2-3" black bar down the side so it's looking like it's the PJ.

post #1731 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I'm confused then, don't know whether it's the screen or the PJ.

But I'll have to get a replacement from Amazon, after messing about with it a bit more I've just noticed on the left of the image is a 2-3" black bar down the side so it's looking like it's the PJ.
Anthony's point about 16X9 screen size is correct.
post #1732 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Anthony's point about 16X9 screen size is correct.

So it's a case of they're both at fault? Surely there isn't supposed to be a black bar down the left hand side.

Thanks for everyone's help by the way.

post #1733 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 04:18 PM

~ Paul Vail • 8 days ago − ⚑ An excellent review as always. I missed much discussion on the 2x color wheel and how this may impact those with RBE issues (myself included). The W1070 from what I've heard is a 6x RGB/RGB color wheel, while this model is a 2x RYGCWB color wheel. The inclusion of a white segment in the color wheel typically increases brightness, but leaves no way to color balance whatsoever when that light is added to the mix. This may be a serious contributing factor to the inaccuracies in color which are described in the review. As well, it is something I would consider a 'negative' about the projector which people should be made aware of. I think there are more than a few people who really want to see the W1070 vs. HD131Xe head-to-head shootout take place, but it seems like it really remains almost a toss-up as they are both excellent projectors with just minor differences. Certainly side-by-side people can see, or have pointed out, those differences, but for entry level home theater use, most people won't know they have anything less than a stunning projector. △ ▽ • Reply • Share › Avatar ProjectorReviews.com > Paul Vail • 2 days ago Good points one and all Paul, And I can't believe I didn't mention the RBE, because I am rainbow sensitive, and was definitely bothered by them far, far more than the W1070, or the W1500 that I'm finishing up right now. Well, I usually say at least once in every review, that first time buyers almost always say whatever projector they bought far exceeded expectations. That said, for those who expect to get "the bug" for hard core home theater, I'd have to recommend the W1070. -art

The above was cut and pasted from "Projector Reviews" with the reply by the respected "Art" himself...

Now here is my dilemma...I briefly owned the W1070 but returned it for 2 reasons...the first was that I found it was too noisy given that (in my room) the placement put it basically just above my head...and second because (in my room) the black levels just weren't good enough.

The black level thing I have now researched and believe (obvious in hindsight) to have been 80% down to projecting onto a white wall in an all white painted room. Light control (external) was 100% but light bouncing off the screen wall off all the other walls literally lit the whole room up like it was the middle of the day. I think I can fix this with a grey screen and a few well placed blackout drapes to "absorb the light" bouncing back off the screen.

So finally to my question...is the HD131xe better than the W1070 for blacks (really better) because this may tip me this way...if its marginal (after correct set up) then I think the colour advantage (which I suspect are slight after dialing down the BC on the optoma) of the W1070 will swing it...because it did look awesome in its colour rendition...

So the deal breaker is if RBE is worse on optoma because I could see it on W1070 but it was very subtle and only when I moved my eyes ...any worse though and I would have a problem with it. W1070 is a 3X speed RGBRGB wheel so 6X equivalent...

Would love someone who has seen both to dissect the above and give me a pointer on these areas.

Many thanks - and a very merry Christmas to one and all!!!

post #1734 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:

1.77 x 48" = 84.96" (16X9 = 1.77)
post #1735 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:

1.77 x 48" = 84.96" (16X9 = 1.77)

Seems like it's the screen then (thankfully). I'll make do with it for now though, it's pointless sending it back it weighs a tonne will cost more in postage than I paid for it!

Thanks again for your help, man.

post #1736 of 2942 Old 12-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Seems like it's the screen then (thankfully). I'll make do with it for now though, it's pointless sending it back it weighs a tonne will cost more in postage than I paid for it!

Thanks again for your help, man.

You're welcome.

If the seller claimed the screen was 16X9 they should pay for the return.

If it was Amazon they probably will.
I don't know if you're in the U.S. or any of the particulars.
Good luck.
Happy New Year.

p.s. Add felt strips to the sides. It works. Velvet has a sheen. Felt absorbs light.
A pulldown screen might not work utilizing this technique. I did so with a rigid screen using velcro on the ends of the felt strips and it worked great. (I used it to remove - or make invisible - the dark gray bars that a 2.35 movie displays when projected on a 16X9 screen.
post #1737 of 2942 Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by K10000 View Post

~ Paul Vail • 8 days ago − ⚑ An excellent review as always. I missed much discussion on the 2x color wheel and how this may impact those with RBE issues (myself included). The W1070 from what I've heard is a 6x RGB/RGB color wheel, while this model is a 2x RYGCWB color wheel. The inclusion of a white segment in the color wheel typically increases brightness, but leaves no way to color balance whatsoever when that light is added to the mix. This may be a serious contributing factor to the inaccuracies in color which are described in the review. As well, it is something I would consider a 'negative' about the projector which people should be made aware of. I think there are more than a few people who really want to see the W1070 vs. HD131Xe head-to-head shootout take place, but it seems like it really remains almost a toss-up as they are both excellent projectors with just minor differences. Certainly side-by-side people can see, or have pointed out, those differences, but for entry level home theater use, most people won't know they have anything less than a stunning projector. △ ▽ • Reply • Share › Avatar ProjectorReviews.com > Paul Vail • 2 days ago Good points one and all Paul, And I can't believe I didn't mention the RBE, because I am rainbow sensitive, and was definitely bothered by them far, far more than the W1070, or the W1500 that I'm finishing up right now. Well, I usually say at least once in every review, that first time buyers almost always say whatever projector they bought far exceeded expectations. That said, for those who expect to get "the bug" for hard core home theater, I'd have to recommend the W1070. -art

The above was cut and pasted from "Projector Reviews" with the reply by the respected "Art" himself...

Now here is my dilemma...I briefly owned the W1070 but returned it for 2 reasons...the first was that I found it was too noisy given that (in my room) the placement put it basically just above my head...and second because (in my room) the black levels just weren't good enough.

The black level thing I have now researched and believe (obvious in hindsight) to have been 80% down to projecting onto a white wall in an all white painted room. Light control (external) was 100% but light bouncing off the screen wall off all the other walls literally lit the whole room up like it was the middle of the day. I think I can fix this with a grey screen and a few well placed blackout drapes to "absorb the light" bouncing back off the screen.

So finally to my question...is the HD131xe better than the W1070 for blacks (really better) because this may tip me this way...if its marginal (after correct set up) then I think the colour advantage (which I suspect are slight after dialing down the BC on the optoma) of the W1070 will swing it...because it did look awesome in its colour rendition...

So the deal breaker is if RBE is worse on optoma because I could see it on W1070 but it was very subtle and only when I moved my eyes ...any worse though and I would have a problem with it. W1070 is a 3X speed RGBRGB wheel so 6X equivalent...

Would love someone who has seen both to dissect the above and give me a pointer on these areas.

Many thanks - and a very merry Christmas to one and all!!!

If you read through this thread several of us have had 1070's and have compared the 131Xe. General consensus is that black level and shadow is better on the 131Xe and color accuracy was better on the BenQ. Pretty much comes down to what is more important to you. I am not RBE sensitive so noticed no rainbows with either projector.
post #1738 of 2942 Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Try resetting your projector image. It might have edge blanking set. Keystoning can also cause the screen image to compress horizontally. You could have a projector that was returned and previously adjusted. This can be a problem when buying a projector from an Amazon vendor, vs. Amazon direct.
post #1739 of 2942 Old 12-26-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVSTAR View Post

Try resetting your projector image. It might have edge blanking set. Keystoning can also cause the screen image to compress horizontally. You could have a projector that was returned and previously adjusted. This can be a problem when buying a projector from an Amazon vendor, vs. Amazon direct.

Ah you're a life saver, thank you! Resetting the image has corrected it, can't believe I didn't think of that myself.

post #1740 of 2942 Old 12-26-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I have the same thing on the right side, but it's only about an inch 2 inches wide on my 138 inch imagoing to try and fix it.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread