Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 2873 Old 01-19-2014, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The time to mount the projector has finally come. It took a while cause i don't want to do this on my own, i want to be sure it's mounted well and won't be falling down or whatsoever. I looked at the manual of the Optoma and on page 23 (installation) it shows the diagonal size, screen size, projection distance and offset. At projection distance it has 'Tele'. Is this the distance i must mount the projector from the screen? For example it says:

100 inch = 2.21meter in width and 1.25 in height. The tele for this where it says projection distance is 4meters. So this would mean if my screensize/projection size is 2.43Meters in width and 1.40Meters in height (which in my case it is) i should mount the Optoma around 4.5 meters from the screen?

I've tried to use that one site for it that people have posted here before, but i am lost, i don't understand it too well. But am i correct about what i wrote above?

What's just as important is that i mount the projector at the correct height too, otherwise i will be using the keystone options a lot and i heard that is not recommend for picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2873 Old 01-19-2014, 05:47 PM

Liked: 10
What AVR is everyone using with their hd131xe??? I have tries a pioneer vsx521k and denon 1513 with no luck with either one...suggestions for a compatable one?
post #1893 of 2873 Old 01-19-2014, 05:51 PM

What AVR is everyone using with their hd131xe??? I have tries a pioneer vsx521k and denon 1513 with no luck with either one...suggestions for a compatable one?
post #1894 of 2873 Old 01-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 198four View Post

Hey Kurt,

Can you share your setup? Have you ever run into an issue of "no source found" so far? How many different video sources have you tried?

Description and pics in this post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-2500-ansi-lumens-3d-home-theater-projector-sub-800-new-budget-king/720#post_23873320
few more daytime screenshots here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-2500-ansi-lumens-3d-home-theater-projector-sub-800-new-budget-king/870#post_23905610

Receiver/HDMI switcher is a lower range Sony 5.1, Blu-Ray is also a Sony. Besides blu-ray and AT&T wireless tuner box I've only plugged in our Acer chromebook via HMDI.
Like others have described there is a ~5-10 second issue when flipping on the blu-ray player with a few flashing screens, hourglass etc. A bit annoying but can deal with it.

We watch it almost daily for TV, and blu ray movie maybe once per week. Looking forward to watching Hugo and Despicable Me 2 in 3D this week.

cheers!
Kurt
post #1895 of 2873 Old 01-19-2014, 06:58 PM

Liked: 90
Hugo 3D is great! I'm saving up for Despicable Me 2. Loved it at the movies.
post #1896 of 2873 Old 01-19-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmartini View Post

I'm using the Harman Kardon AVR1650 with no problems. I use HDMI inputs only. I use a Vizio Wireless device to transfer the signal from the receiver to the projector.

Was the signal just not making it to the projector?

Good luck.
post #1897 of 2873 Old 01-19-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

The time to mount the projector has finally come. It took a while cause i don't want to do this on my own, i want to be sure it's mounted well and won't be falling down or whatsoever. I looked at the manual of the Optoma and on page 23 (installation) it shows the diagonal size, screen size, projection distance and offset. At projection distance it has 'Tele'. Is this the distance i must mount the projector from the screen? For example it says:

100 inch = 2.21meter in width and 1.25 in height. The tele for this where it says projection distance is 4meters. So this would mean if my screensize/projection size is 2.43Meters in width and 1.40Meters in height (which in my case it is) i should mount the Optoma around 4.5 meters from the screen?

I've tried to use that one site for it that people have posted here before, but i am lost, i don't understand it too well. But am i correct about what i wrote above?

What's just as important is that i mount the projector at the correct height too, otherwise i will be using the keystone options a lot and i heard that is not recommend for picture quality.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Use this projector calculator.

100 inch screen should have the projector mounted 3.3 to 4.0 meters away. And it should be mounted 8 inches above the top edge of the screen. Your screen is about 110 inches. You can plug your particular numbers into the projector calculator and they will work.

Good luck and ask questions if not sure.
post #1898 of 2873 Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Sorry to be off-topic but, Yea Seahawks!
post #1899 of 2873 Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

I'm using the Harman Kardon AVR1650 with no problems. I use HDMI inputs only. I use a Vizio Wireless device to transfer the signal from the receiver to the projector.

Was the signal just not making it to the projector?

Good luck.

Correct. I user up using all hdmi. Sat box to AVR, AVR to projector. When I would turn on the AVR and sat box (doesn't matter what order) I would get audio through my projector. As soon as the projector boots up it kills the signal to the sat box and forces it to reboot. It then never reboots completely and I lose audio and don't have video either...but if I hook the sat box directly to the projector an use an optical cable to my AVR everything works great. The issue with that is I only have one input to he projector because of how everything is ran...super frustrating. At any rate I sold the AVR to y brother because his HD25 works with it an he needed a new one...so I'm in the market for a new AVR that will work with a ps3, ditectv genie mini, and hd131xe. And maybe my chrome cast here and there...suggestions? I'd love to stay around 200ish if I can...
post #1900 of 2873 Old 01-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Correction I would get audio through my AVR if I Hook everything up via hdmi and leave the projector off. Once the projector is on it would kill the signal
post #1901 of 2873 Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Correct. I user up using all hdmi. Sat box to AVR, AVR to projector. When I would turn on the AVR and sat box (doesn't matter what order) I would get audio through my projector. As soon as the projector boots up it kills the signal to the sat box and forces it to reboot. It then never reboots completely and I lose audio and don't have video either...but if I hook the sat box directly to the projector an use an optical cable to my AVR everything works great. The issue with that is I only have one input to he projector because of how everything is ran...super frustrating. At any rate I sold the AVR to y brother because his HD25 works with it an he needed a new one...so I'm in the market for a new AVR that will work with a ps3, ditectv genie mini, and hd131xe. And maybe my chrome cast here and there...suggestions? I'd love to stay around 200ish if I can...

The hd131xe and the hd25 are so closely related that I am very surprised your brother is able to make it work. There must be a fly in the ointment that is not understood. I hope you figure it out.
post #1902 of 2873 Old 01-20-2014, 06:12 AM

I use a Yamaha 575 without issues.

Roku 3, Iview 3500 STBII OTA converter (HDMI), LG BR player, Computer all hooked up to the AVR via HDMI. From the ARV to projector I used a 40ft redmere HDMI just to be safe.

I use an Logitech Harmony 650 remote to control all (minus computer power on), and it switches in a basic order via initial setup on Logitech's website. I never needed to adjust power on order.

I do see the hourglass when switching between inputs on the ARV, but it seems minimal to me. Maybe 3-5 seconds at most. I do have the projector locked to use 1 input, which is HDMI 1.

I think my setup has been pretty flawless besides the Iview and the harmony 650, the Iview needs a minimal specific angle to receive the IR input from the 650.
post #1903 of 2873 Old 01-20-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:

The hd131xe and the hd25 are so closely related that I am very surprised your brother is able to make it work. There must be a fly in the ointment that is not understood. I hope you figure it out.

Right!?!?  This whole venture has been more than frustrating.  As soon as I plugged in the HD25 I figured it would do the same thing. And BOOM it worked without issue...no idea.  I'm going to look for a new AVR today for around $200/250 ish.  I was thinking the Yamaha RX-V375 looks very promising.  Read someone was able to use their chromcast with it which the denon 1513 did now allow for whatever reason...I'll let you know.  Thanks for the info. 

If any one has a recommendation on a relatively inexpensive AVR I'm open to suggestions.

post #1904 of 2873 Old 01-20-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Right!?!?  This whole venture has been more than frustrating.  As soon as I plugged in the HD25 I figured it would do the same thing. And BOOM it worked without issue...no idea.  I'm going to look for a new AVR today for around $200/250 ish.  I was thinking the Yamaha RX-V375 looks very promising.  Read someone was able to use their chromcast with it which the denon 1513 did now allow for whatever reason...I'll let you know.  Thanks for the info. 

If any one has a recommendation on a relatively inexpensive AVR I'm open to suggestions.
When did you purchase the hd131xe? And where? If within 30 days what about returning it for an exchange?

And perhaps RMAing back to Optoma if more than 30 days.
And borrow someone's AVR to test. Any AVR should work. Or the PJ is not working right. Get rid of it is my thought.

Good luck.

btw: my H/K AVR1650 cost $200 at Newegg. Works great 4 HDMI inputs.
post #1905 of 2873 Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FWIW I'm happy with this Sony I paid ~$225 for off Amazon prime:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHC7ZT4/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5.1 is enough for me, and I like the little microphone that you hold at your seating position to automatically set the speaker levels.
All we currently use it for is blu-ray and AT&T wireless tuner input via HDMI, and HDMI output to 131Xe. Haven't tried radio.

Main speakers are decent 10-yr old Tannoys, center is Klipsch, rears are Infinity and subwoofer is a BIC 10" (total ~$1000 spent, half on the mains)
An audiophile likely wouldn't be satisfied but movies, TV and CDs sounds great to me. The modest sub can literally shake the room.

Prior to this one, over the past 15 years I went through 2 higher end Yamaha AVRs. The volume knob broke on both of them about 1-2 years after buying, not terrible since the remote volume worked but it was really annoying that Yamaha apparently can't figure out how to keep the big, stupid volume knob on the unit working!
The subwoofer output on the last one stopped working right before we moved last summer, so decided to give the cheapish Sony a chance.
post #1906 of 2873 Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Denon is an option also. You can probably get the 1712 and below now for around your price range. I think even the 1912 might be in your price range now.
I run it with success. Works very well and no hiccups.

post #1907 of 2873 Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 AM

Great thanks I'll check them out tonight.
post #1908 of 2873 Old 01-20-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:

When did you purchase the hd131xe? And where? If within 30 days what about returning it for an exchange?

And perhaps RMAing back to Optoma if more than 30 days.
And borrow someone's AVR to test. Any AVR should work. Or the PJ is not working right. Get rid of it is my thought.

Good luck.

btw: my H/K AVR1650 cost $200 at Newegg. Works great 4 HDMI inputs.

I ended up getting a second 131xe from amazon and had the exact same issues with both AVRs. I'm going to look into the sony. As long as I know it will work I'll buy whichever. I just want to know it will work first because I like the projector a lot. I'll read up on the Sony, Yamaha,
post #1909 of 2873 Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Use this projector calculator.

100 inch screen should have the projector mounted 3.3 to 4.0 meters away. And it should be mounted 8 inches above the top edge of the screen. Your screen is about 110 inches. You can plug your particular numbers into the projector calculator and they will work.

Good luck and ask questions if not sure.

Damn, that's gonna be problematic for me...8 inches above the top edge, cause my 'screen' ( i painted a particular part of the wall white, one big rectangle) is too high. If i mount the projector 8 inches above it..i will need to have to alter the projector, turn it downwards or upwards alittle probably. It's not a very big deal, cause later this year i will buy a decent screen and make sure to mount it the right way, so that the projector doesn;t have to be turned up or down too much. It would be ideal to have a screen ready while mounting it, but my wallet just doesn't allow me.
post #1910 of 2873 Old 01-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Damn, that's gonna be problematic f
or me...8 inches above the top edge, cause my 'screen' ( i painted a particular part of the wall white, one big rectangle) is too high. If i mount the projector 8 inches above it..i will need to have to alter the projector, turn it downwards or upwards alittle probably. It's not a very big deal, cause later this year i will buy a decent screen and make sure to mount it the right way, so that the projector doesn;t have to be turned up or down too much. It would be ideal to have a screen ready while mounting it, but my wallet just doesn't allow me.

You've got it working now. The projector calculator tells you what the needs of the pj are. You'll make it work.
post #1911 of 2873 Old 01-20-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:

I ended up getting a second 131xe from amazon and had the exact same issues with both AVRs. I'm going to look into the sony. As long as I know it will work I'll buy whichever. I just want to know it will work first because I like the projector a lot. I'll read up on the Sony, Yamaha,

Wow - You have really been through it with this. I might consider the hd25 just to get on with things. But I understand how it is when one is working at a solution. Your brain is the one that has been through it and it'll figure it out.
But I sure don't envy all the frustration.
I'm just now figuring out the ins and outs of my receiver. I do like it very much for its sound quality, but its versatility seems lacking. Although I am slowly learning. I just don't like how the sound possibilities seem to be more rigid when using HDMI.

Good luck in your electronic endeavours.
post #1912 of 2873 Old 01-20-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Wow - You have really been through it with this. I might consider the hd25 just to get on with things. But I understand how it is when one is working at a solution. Your brain is the one that has been through it and it'll figure it out.
But I sure don't envy all the frustration.
I'm just now figuring out the ins and outs of my receiver. I do like it very much for its sound quality, but its versatility seems lacking. Although I am slowly learning. I just don't like how the sound possibilities seem to be more rigid when using HDMI.

Good luck in your electronic endeavours.

HA thanks!  By NO means am I any sort of AV guru.  I completely finished my basement myself down to the stud work (which I thought would be the difficult part)...but the most frustrating part should have been the most fun/rewarding part.  Watching TV on a big a$$ screen with a kick a$$ sound system...figuring out what cords/components work together is tough. 

I just don't get how any sort of regular guy that knows how to plug HDMI in to HDMI out is supposed to figure this stuff out...but everyone here has helped out a bunch!  THANK YOUUUUU

post #1913 of 2873 Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 PM

***Update***

Got rid of the denon 1513 and picked up a Sony STR-DH540 and now everything works like is supposed too...for whatever reason the denon was the issue.

Thanks for everyone's help!
post #1914 of 2873 Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:

***Update***

Got rid of the denon 1513 and picked up a Sony STR-DH540 and now everything works like is supposed too...for whatever reason the denon was the issue.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Yay! Good deal. Now you get to enjoy that hd131xe.
post #1915 of 2873 Old 01-23-2014, 09:33 AM

~~I recently got optoma hd131xe and I need help setting up PowerDvd to play iso files (or any other 3d format). I use my pc (Ati 7950 vga card). When I mount the iso I try to play it with powerdvd, but it only diplays at my monitor and not in projector. Any ideas how to configure powerdvd's settings to make it work? Thanks!

3dglasses

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130884707051?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

post #1916 of 2873 Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Just ordered this PJ and will have it in 2 days, my first PJ so really looking forward to it. Came down between this one or the BenQ WD1070, read the blacks and shadow detail were better on the Optoma, plus it was $160 less than the BenQ smile.gif Hooking it up in a dedicated mancave/movie room, 10x14. Went with a 92" screen and sit about 10' from the wall where it'll go. Will post impressions and pics once I have all installed.

Epson HC 2000 Projector & 120" screen
Sony 70W830B LED TV
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 GT: Ringo619
post #1917 of 2873 Old 01-23-2014, 02:10 PM

deleted

post #1918 of 2873 Old 01-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

Here's the chart in the HD131xe manual showing the recognized input formats for 3D:

I'm interested in the top-half, HDMI 1.4a, which is describing standard input signals from a 3D Blu-ray player. HDMI 1.3, the bottom half, is describing standard input signals that PCs would (and still can) transmit using nVidia 3D Vision (or equivalent) before Blu-ray 3D players were available.

If the input is 50hz, the projector displays at 100hz. (This is PAL disc format, N/A to me.)
If the input is 60hz, the projector displays at 120hz.
If the input is 24hz, the projector displays at 144hz. (My old glasses rule this out.)

Given the chart, my choices are limited since my old DLP-Link glasses won't sync at 144hz. If I intend to use those glasses, I intend to set my Blu-ray 3D player to output a 720P@60hz (HDMI 1.4a frame packing) signal to the projector. This will provide higher quality than side-by-side or top-and-bottom format, and the projector will display at 120hz.

Or I'll buy new DLP-Link glasses that will handle 144hz. Or, more likely, I'll keep the old DLP-Link glasses handy for "crowd night" and go with RF glasses and VESA just for myself.

according to this table, do my 3d RF glasses http://www.ebay.com/itm/130884707051?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 are capable for 1080p inputs or not?

post #1919 of 2873 Old 01-24-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:

You've got it working now. The projector calculator tells you what the needs of the pj are. You'll make it work.

Yeah i am gonna make it work for sure. Right now i am looking for what mount i should buy. A friend of mine has one from Celexon, but the Optoma manual recommends a Optoma mount. But that doesn't mean i necessarily need one from Optoma.

If you had to choose...would it be this one?

http://www.beamercenter.nl/product/207337/category-71129-beamer-beugel-kopen/celexon-ps-815.html

http://www.beamercenter.nl/product/238118/category-71129-beamer-beugel-kopen/optoma-universal-projector-mount.html

It's basically ten euros more for the Optoma, but it can rotate horizontally and vertically.
post #1920 of 2873 Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Yeah i am gonna make it work for sure. Right now i am looking for what mount i should buy. A friend of mine has one from Celexon, but the Optoma manual recommends a Optoma mount. But that doesn't mean i necessarily need one from Optoma.

If you had to choose...would it be this one?

http://www.beamercenter.nl/product/207337/category-71129-beamer-beugel-kopen/celexon-ps-815.html

http://www.beamercenter.nl/product/238118/category-71129-beamer-beugel-kopen/optoma-universal-projector-mount.html

It's basically ten euros more for the Optoma, but it can rotate horizontally and vertically.

They both look fine. But I have no knowledge of how they would fit the HD131xe hole pattern. If they say they will then they are good. The extra adjustability that the optoma one claims might be good.

The one that I think is the best is this one: http://www.amazon.com/PCMD-Projector-Ceiling-Optoma-HD131X/dp/B00BRQ900C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390594947&sr=8-2&keywords=optoma+hd131xe+ceiling+mount

Here are search results from Amazon uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=projector+ceiling+mount&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aprojector+ceiling+mount

The ones you posted seem far too expensive. I don't think they are worth that much. The simpler the better for projector mounts, I think. Which is why I like the first one I posted to you. It pivots in ALL directions and mounts easily and securely. It is very simple. I have one of these and like it. I also have a more complicated one that cost less and was harder to make work. But if you get one that the holes line up correctly, you can make it work.

Good luck.

ps: be sure and get one that has three "arms" or whatever is used to connect to the projector. And you have the manual so make sure the measured distance between holes is correct.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page