Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 89 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2641 of 2903 Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased an hd25e on ebay. Expecting it to arrive in a couple of weeks so I’ve been using this time to read through this thread. This will be my first experience with 3d projection (I am upgrading from my very old IN72 which has treated me very well for many years). I know that the consensus is that RF glasses are superior to DLP link. Most everyone also agrees that if you decide to go with DLP link, the EStar EGS601 are really good glasses. I’d like to get several pairs of glasses so the whole family can watch in 3d, but the RF ones almost twice as much as DLP link. So How much better are the RF glasses over the egs601. Is it worth the extra money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2903 Old 05-15-2014, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Had an IN72 for almost 6 years until I bought the HD131xe 2 months ago. Was an excellent projector.
I've got a pair of the Sainsonic 3d glasses but I got a cataract in my left eye so I can't tell you if they work good or not.lol Most people are saying the rf glasses do a much better job though and you don't lose sync when you turn your head.
post #2643 of 2903 Old 05-15-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 172
My $12 DLP-link G15 glasses don't lose sync until I've turned completely away for a few seconds..and they re-sync two seconds after turning back around. Especially if you aren't particularly picky about 3D, the EBay g15's are hard to pass up.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.-(testing phase)
post #2644 of 2903 Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by John0972 View Post

I calibrated a different mode using my meter and software today, i think it might work great for some of you so will supply the details.

Good stuff John! Thanks for the effort. I will check out these settings once I get my projector back. Question: I think it is important to know which 3D glasses you are using. There is a difference for DLP Link and RF on this projector. Thanks again.
post #2645 of 2903 Old 05-20-2014, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niggenz View Post

Yeah same issue. Apparently its a bad run of DLP chips from Texas Instruments (according to what others say), and not optics.

Just go to optomausa.com>support>service/rma and fill out the form. You'll need these three things:

1. Model No.
2. Serial No.
3. Proof of purchase (I printed my Amazon invoice to PDF and sent that in).

They respond quickly. I happen to live near Optoma and asked to drop it off otherwise you'll have to ship it in yourself. 5-7 business days to repair it once recieved into their system.

niggenz - Have you received your unit back from Optoma yet?

for recent purchasers - Is this "Focus Uniformity" issue still a problem with new units? If not, is there a manufactured date to look for to ensure newer ones won't have the issue?

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #2646 of 2903 Old 05-20-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post

niggenz - Have you received your unit back from Optoma yet?

for recent purchasers - Is this "Focus Uniformity" issue still a problem with new units? If not, is there a manufactured date to look for to ensure newer ones won't have the issue?

Is this still just the soft corners issue we are reffering to? Or has this spread?

post #2647 of 2903 Old 05-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am considering buying one of these to give to my son who is buying his first house. The house has a nice finished basement so i really cant resist helping him with a nice budget theater. I was close to ordering one on amazon until i noticed more than a dozen" used good condition" units from amazon for sale for appx $550. I have purchased items from the amazon prime used store and been very happy, however the number of units available has me concerned that there a quality control issues. Just to compare there are no benq 1070 units used from amazon. If anyone has any imput that would be great.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #2648 of 2903 Old 05-20-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got it back, but haven't plugged it in since. It is quite possible that I had one of the first ever units put into production for this projector. My issue was the focus uniformity issue (top of screen in focus, bottom of screen out of focus), not the soft corners issue (corner not square). But likely they are rooted in the same problem: defective DLP chips from Texas Instruments. This shouldn't be a problem in newer units. I just never noticed it until now since I only recently set up an HTPC and connected it to the projector. Prior to that, I had only used it with my PS3 for Blu Ray and video games and occasionally my laptop for downloaded content.

Also, I dropped off the unit in Fremont on Monday, it was shipped back to my doorstep on the Friday of that same week. Pretty quick turn around. I haven't opened the box, so I don't know if they gave me a lens cap with its return or not.
post #2649 of 2903 Old 05-20-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

I am considering buying one of these to give to my son who is buying his first house. The house has a nice finished basement so i really cant resist helping him with a nice budget theater. I was close to ordering one on amazon until i noticed more than a dozen" used good condition" units from amazon for sale for appx $550. I have purchased items from the amazon prime used store and been very happy, however the number of units available has me concerned that there a quality control issues. Just to compare there are no benq 1070 units used from amazon. If anyone has any imput that would be great.

Well, they did release a white cased version after the black cased version was made available.
post #2650 of 2903 Old 05-21-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

Haven't had any problems with mine other than it has a sensitive hdmi connection. When changing video files it will lose connection for about 30 seconds. Other than that though its worked great.
post #2651 of 2903 Old 05-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

I have even thinking mine is showing some focus issues lately. I haven't tried any bds lately though. Been watching rips on my Apple TV, but are high quality bd rips.
I gotta check with a disc soon to see for sure

post #2652 of 2903 Old 05-23-2014, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hello everyone. At the current price points, which would you say is the best projector for my dollar?

HD131Xe $717

HD25e $778

HD25-LV $999

I will be dealing with moderate ambient light during the day. We aren't into 3D movies, but may watch one occasionally. Mostly for television and Blu-ray. I will start with only an off white wall to project on. I probably won't have a screen for a few months. I am shooting for a 135" image.

post #2653 of 2903 Old 05-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

I am considering this PJ (or the HD25e) variant along with another in this price range. I've seen the pros and cons for both and figure there won't be a lot of difference between them with seeing them side by side. They are budget PJs and I'm realistic. The one whose placement fits the room best will probably be the one I buy. I'm more interested in any issues people have be encountering. I know the quality I can expect, it's the problems I want to limit. The list from reading:
  • firmware needing updated
  • focus uniformity

Anything I've missed to watch for or worry about? I'm not looking for any sort of slamming of this or other brand/models. Just issues and expected resolutions.

post #2654 of 2903 Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am close to buying the HD131Xe from amazon used dept. I have seen the benq 1070 and it did a very good job eliminating rainbows ( i am rather sensitive to them ) Does anyone know how the optima handles them? I have not seen any specs there were one or two posts saying it is not good with rainbows.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #2655 of 2903 Old 05-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

I have never seen any rainbows on mine other than when the hourglass is spinning to load movies

post #2656 of 2903 Old 05-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mantooth View Post

Hello everyone. At the current price points, which would you say is the best projector for my dollar?

HD131Xe $717
HD25e $778
HD25-LV $999

I will be dealing with moderate ambient light during the day. We aren't into 3D movies, but may watch one occasionally. Mostly for television and Blu-ray. I will start with only an off white wall to project on. I probably won't have a screen for a few months. I am shooting for a 135" image.
All pretty much the same projector. I would go with price.The HD131xe works pretty well with ambient lighting but for best viewing a dark room is always the best.
post #2657 of 2903 Old 05-23-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post

All pretty much the same projector. I would go with price.The HD131xe works pretty well with ambient lighting but for best viewing a dark room is always the best.

Thanks! Brightness wise the reviews say the HD25-LV is much brighter than the HD25. Has it been proven that the HD25e is brighter than the HD25, or is that gimmick? I was just wondering if the brightness difference from the HD25e and HD25-LV is worth the extra $121.

post #2658 of 2903 Old 05-23-2014, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I still am not happy when it comes to the colours of the projector, so i gave the ones posted in this thread a shot, but for gaming it absolutely was not what i wanted. I had Batman Arkham City and GTA V as test games. I wanted some dark blue in Batman, cause that looks damn good in the game and every video of it also shows plenty of nice blue colours. In GTA V i wanted to make sure a red car for example should be nice red, not pink or anything else. With the colours posted here it definitely was not what i was looking for.

I noticed that if i up the gain in the colour settings. i DO get those nice red and blue colours, but then other things will look more ugly and off. Anyone have any settings that are solely for gaming?
post #2659 of 2903 Old 05-24-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mantooth View Post

Thanks! Brightness wise the reviews say the HD25-LV is much brighter than the HD25. Has it been proven that the HD25e is brighter than the HD25, or is that gimmick? I was just wondering if the brightness difference from the HD25e and HD25-LV is worth the extra $121.
All three of those (25e, 25lv, 131xe) are brighter than the old 25. The old 25 has an RGBRGB colorwheel and looks great, the 131xe/25e/25lv uses a business style RGBCMY colorwheel that gives dimmer colors but much brighter whites. The 25e and 131xe (NOT the original hd25) use the same colorwheel, the same lamp, and at one point even used the SAME FIRMWARE. Their price difference and listed spec small differences are just fluff.

The 25lv uses a 240watt lamp and the 131/25e uses a 190watt lamp. The higher watt lamp will mean a PJ that runs its fans louder, so keep that in mind.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.-(testing phase)
post #2660 of 2903 Old 05-24-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

All three of those (25e, 25lv, 131xe) are brighter than the old 25. The old 25 has an RGBRGB colorwheel and looks great, the 131xe/25e/25lv uses a business style RGBCMY colorwheel that gives dimmer colors but much brighter whites. The 25e and 131xe (NOT the original hd25) use the same colorwheel, the same lamp, and at one point even used the SAME FIRMWARE. Their price difference and listed spec small differences are just fluff.

The 25lv uses a 240watt lamp and the 131/25e uses a 190watt lamp. The higher watt lamp will mean a PJ that runs its fans louder, so keep that in mind.

At this point I am wondering if I would just be better off getting the Epson 8350, or 8345...lol. The bulbs are less than $100 and it has vertical and horizontal lens shift. 3D doesn't matter to us. Would you say those are better projectors for 2D?
post #2661 of 2903 Old 05-25-2014, 05:16 PM

I have a simple question...

I am planning on buying a 110 inch screen from the brand Kingpin. I mostly do gaming using my consoles and projector and i was wondering...how much of an improvement can i expect? I've been told that i can definitely expect a deeper black level, but in terms of picture quality, how crisp a game will look....will it actually improve?
post #2662 of 2903 Old 05-25-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 341
What are you using now? To expect an improvement from a well painted wall to a cheap screen isn't likely and should not be expected. Self-made screens are often far higher quality than many other screens out there, and I'm not familiar with the brand you are using, so perhaps a link to it may help determine if it is a brand that you should be putting your money towards, but if you have a good wall that you can paint with a decent white paint mixture, it likely will be better than a cheap manual roll down screen, or similar to a cheap fixed frame screen.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #2663 of 2903 Old 05-26-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

What are you using now? To expect an improvement from a well painted wall to a cheap screen isn't likely and should not be expected. Self-made screens are often far higher quality than many other screens out there, and I'm not familiar with the brand you are using, so perhaps a link to it may help determine if it is a brand that you should be putting your money towards, but if you have a good wall that you can paint with a decent white paint mixture, it likely will be better than a cheap manual roll down screen, or similar to a cheap fixed frame screen.

Hey thanks for the helful advice.

I am talking about this brand, it seems very professional, but it's probably a Dutch only brand.

http://www.kingpinscreens.nl/

The one i am eyeing is:

http://www.kingpinscreens.nl/velvet-frame-screen

Its name there is:

VFS240-16:9

Costs 450 euros.

Oh and i almost forgot to mention again. I am still projecting on my white wall. I never painted it, but i did have attached several paintings, posters and stuff there. So the wall is full of these little holes, plus the wallpaper is not completely flat, it has these small bumps on it.
post #2664 of 2903 Old 05-26-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 341
The screen looks solid enough. Can't speak to the quality of the manufacturer, but having a decent fixed frame screen is a decent way to go.

I would disagree that you should expect much with 'any' screen. An ideal screen maintains a very flat and uniform surface and its job is to deliver that consistency across the screen surface. Most cheaper screens do this just fine without introducing hot spotting, sparkling, or other aberrations which hurt image quality, but to really find out about a screen you need to read reviews or first hand accounts which may be difficult from a smaller Dutch company. You may want to pick up the phone and call them to see how responsive they are to you, questions, etc. I will say that their screens look very similar to many other Chinese imported brands, so it may be an 'importer' calling itself a screen company instead of a actual manufacturer. But, darned it I can read the website! biggrin.gif

Still, the screen looks solid enough.

I would not expect much, if any, improvement to the black levels. The nice velvet frame will do a good job supporting a perceived contrast improvement, but this will be perceived, not true. What it does best is really frame the image and help to make the most of what is there.

The reality remains that the best improvement anyone can make to any projector is by putting up $40 in dark paint on the walls and ceiling and putting in some dark carpet near the screen.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #2665 of 2903 Old 05-27-2014, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Plugged my projector in after receiving it back from Optoma. Typing this post using the projector as we speak. Focus uniformity issue fixed and all is well!

No lens cap with its return however :/.
post #2666 of 2903 Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

The screen looks solid enough. Can't speak to the quality of the manufacturer, but having a decent fixed frame screen is a decent way to go.

I would disagree that you should expect much with 'any' screen. An ideal screen maintains a very flat and uniform surface and its job is to deliver that consistency across the screen surface. Most cheaper screens do this just fine without introducing hot spotting, sparkling, or other aberrations which hurt image quality, but to really find out about a screen you need to read reviews or first hand accounts which may be difficult from a smaller Dutch company. You may want to pick up the phone and call them to see how responsive they are to you, questions, etc. I will say that their screens look very similar to many other Chinese imported brands, so it may be an 'importer' calling itself a screen company instead of a actual manufacturer. But, darned it I can read the website! biggrin.gif

Still, the screen looks solid enough.

I would not expect much, if any, improvement to the black levels. The nice velvet frame will do a good job supporting a perceived contrast improvement, but this will be perceived, not true. What it does best is really frame the image and help to make the most of what is there.

The reality remains that the best improvement anyone can make to any projector is by putting up $40 in dark paint on the walls and ceiling and putting in some dark carpet near the screen.

Yeah the problem is..when i search for reviews of the screens, i get very little results. They DO respond in full detail to my emails though and they actually recommended a cheaper screen to me instead of a much pricier motorized one, so i thought that was cool of them. A few months ago i have painted my walls and ceiling dark navy blue, i only need blackout curtains and that carpet then. But man....my living room is really turning into the Batcave now, haha.
post #2667 of 2903 Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggenz View Post

Plugged my projector in after receiving it back from Optoma. Typing this post using the projector as we speak. Focus uniformity issue fixed and all is well!

No lens cap with its return however :/.

Do you know which firmware version is installed on your unit? Did they update that while they had it? On the Optoma product page for the HD131xe there is a link on the "download" tab to upgrade the firmware. Does anyone know what version this is, what it does, and if new units already have it installed?

http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/HD131Xe

post #2668 of 2903 Old 05-27-2014, 02:21 PM

I picked up an HD131XE from Amazon last week, and I'm loving it so far. I do have one question I'm hoping I could get some suggestions on.

Right now, it's placed behind and slightly above my couch, about 17ft away from the wall. Since it's at that height and not on the floor/mounted to the ceiling, I have to prop up the back of it with some cardboard, and apply a keystone correction of +12. The final result with max zoom is a 145" picture with some black bleeding out of the bottom corners since the keystone only corrects the image and not the light being projected. The image also seems a tiny bit concave (or convex, not sure which term), but I think I just need to adjust keystone some more.

Are there any downsides to my current setup other than the black in the corners? Would I be better off using a ceiling mount, or placing it in front of my couch and projecting a smaller image? What's the general consensus on this sort of thing?
post #2669 of 2903 Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I updated my firmware a few weeks before sending it in. Can't tell if they updated that or not during the RMA.

As for keystoning, don't ever use that adjustment. Basically, keystoning is warping your displayed image intentionally. I think it is temporary anyway in the set up you have. Go for the bigger squared image and ceiling mount it.
post #2670 of 2903 Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 AM

Hi , I bought my optoma hd131xe , I am pretty sure that it has the focus issues .

When I put it on grid test pattern I can get the lines in the middle sharp , but up towards a couple of the corners
I can see a green bleed coming from the lines does this suggest that they are out of focus , if so I would pressume it
needs sending of for repair?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page