Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 90 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2671 of 2890 Old 05-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quick question that I hope someone can help with, as this information is quite scattered about. Any info is VERY welcomed!

I will soon be able to audition an HD25e in 3-D, and would like to sample RF 3-D glasses. I currently have DLP link glasses for my HD33 projector, but they are limited to 120hz. The current consensus seems to be RF 3-D glasses have better contrast and color than DLP-Link.

If I was going to get a pair of RF 3-D glasses to try with the Optoma HD25e, what is good but reliable pair for the money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2890 Old 05-30-2014, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post

If I was going to get a pair of RF 3-D glasses to try with the Optoma HD25e, what is good but reliable pair for the money?

I have the Optoma BG-ZF2100GLS glasses and they are excellent but pricey (at $75 per pair). I hear lots of good things about the EStar ESG6000 glasses. Some say that they are identical to the Optomas; others say that they are very similar to the Optomas but have a slightly greener tint. The EStar glasses, at $55 per pair, are considerably less expensive.

I got a great deal from a Forum member last November and picked up six Optoma glasses for $50 per pair.

Both of these are rechargeable and of course support 144hz.
post #2673 of 2890 Old 05-30-2014, 11:29 AM

Liked: 10
On second thought, this is more about the screen than the PJ at this point. I'll ask on the DIY screen section.
post #2674 of 2890 Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 AM

I'm but undecided about buying HD131Xe over W1070 because on projector calculator it says that on my 3,4m distance with lenses open on maximum zoom I would get barely 102" diagonal. And I have space for 110". Also as I've read, theres common problem with optomas 131 series with blurry lenses which have been opened on maximum zoom, like I should do. So my question is: based on my problems should I buy HD131Xe or W1070?
post #2675 of 2890 Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gesaugen View Post

I'm but undecided about buying HD131Xe over W1070 because on projector calculator it says that on my 3,4m distance with lenses open on maximum zoom I would get barely 102" diagonal. And I have space for 110". Also as I've read, theres common problem with optomas 131 series with blurry lenses which have been opened on maximum zoom, like I should do. So my question is: based on my problems should I buy HD131Xe or W1070?

Something to consider is the offset for each. The Optoma will need to be about 9 inches (22 cm) above the top of the screen. The 1070 has some lens shiift that will allow it to be from 2 to 5 inches (5-12 cm) above the top of the screen. Look at your ceiling height and screen placement for any restrictions that may force you to chose based on the offset. I can't raise my screen any higher so I need the larger offset of the Optoma to keep the PJ closer to the ceiling and away from my head.

Without seeing them side beside I doubt there will be much discernible differnce between the two images. The focus issue on the HD131 seems to be noticable mainly when viewing text and test patterns, usually not when viewing movies, TV or games. The W1070 has had dust blobs problem in the past, is a little louder (fans chirping?) and has to be sent in for firmware updates. If 3D matters to you the Optoma can use RF glasses as well which some prefer.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #2676 of 2890 Old 05-31-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I bought an Optoma HD131xe from Buydig last week. I could not get it set up for accurate colours. My old Mitsubishi HD1000U is much more pleasing. But the brightness of this is remarkable along with its higher resolution. I also like the fact that this has wireless RF (or IR?) signal for 3d glasses. As I don't see much better black levels on this compared to HD1000U, I am debating if I should just return this and get a Benq w1070. I read in many reviews and forum posts that Benq's black levels are even worse. Can those who experienced both Benq w1070 and Optoma 131xe comment on how worse is Benq compared to Optoma for its black levels?

Edit:
Screen size: 120" diagonal DIY screen / white black out cloth
HD1000U distance: 16 ft or so
Environment: Basement with minimal light leakage (practically dark room except it is not painted dark).

TIA!
post #2677 of 2890 Old 06-01-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post

Something to consider is the offset for each. The Optoma will need to be about 9 inches (22 cm) above the top of the screen. The 1070 has some lens shiift that will allow it to be from 2 to 5 inches (5-12 cm) above the top of the screen. Look at your ceiling height and screen placement for any restrictions that may force you to chose based on the offset. I can't raise my screen any higher so I need the larger offset of the Optoma to keep the PJ closer to the ceiling and away from my head.

Without seeing them side beside I doubt there will be much discernible differnce between the two images. The focus issue on the HD131 seems to be noticable mainly when viewing text and test patterns, usually not when viewing movies, TV or games. The W1070 has had dust blobs problem in the past, is a little louder (fans chirping?) and has to be sent in for firmware updates. If 3D matters to you the Optoma can use RF glasses as well which some prefer.
thanks for info
offset is not the problem. I have now old ASK C1 pj just above my head (20-30cm) and it's loud! So I really don't care about the difference if my future pj, which will be mounted on ceiling, is few cm closer that other model. but again, thanks for info!

only thing that concerns me is screen diagonal because i want those extra 8-10" which 1070 could give me against 131. All in all, 131 is my favorite but those inches really hurt me :/

is there any other "budget" full HD pj which compares to those two. It can cost even few 100$ more
post #2678 of 2890 Old 06-01-2014, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim11 View Post

Hi , I bought my optoma hd131xe , I am pretty sure that it has the focus issues .

When I put it on grid test pattern I can get the lines in the middle sharp , but up towards a couple of the corners
I can see a green bleed coming from the lines does this suggest that they are out of focus , if so I would pressume it
needs sending of for repair?

Might be another problem. The focus uniformity issue is when you can't focus the entire displayed image (top of screen is pin sharp, bottom of screen is soft, etc). It's especially prevalent when displaying text. Give Optoma tech support a call and see if you need an RMA.
post #2679 of 2890 Old 06-02-2014, 07:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post

Quick question that I hope someone can help with, as this information is quite scattered about. Any info is VERY welcomed!

I will soon be able to audition an HD25e in 3-D, and would like to sample RF 3-D glasses. I currently have DLP link glasses for my HD33 projector, but they are limited to 120hz. The current consensus seems to be RF 3-D glasses have better contrast and color than DLP-Link.

The EStar America ESG6000 work nicely and you can get them from Amazon. Find their Facebook page and they usually have a coupon code on there to save a few dollars.

Just watched World War Z in 3d and it was incredible.
post #2680 of 2890 Old 06-02-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalMonkey View Post

I bought an Optoma HD131xe from Buydig last week. I could not get it set up for accurate colours. My old Mitsubishi HD1000U is much more pleasing. But the brightness of this is remarkable along with its higher resolution. I also like the fact that this has wireless RF (or IR?) signal for 3d glasses. As I don't see much better black levels on this compared to HD1000U, I am debating if I should just return this and get a Benq w1070. I read in many reviews and forum posts that Benq's black levels are even worse. Can those who experienced both Benq w1070 and Optoma 131xe comment on how worse is Benq compared to Optoma for its black levels?

Edit:
Screen size: 120" diagonal DIY screen / white black out cloth
HD1000U distance: 16 ft or so
Environment: Basement with minimal light leakage (practically dark room except it is not painted dark).

TIA!

Did you try the settings that are buried in this thread somewhere? They worked nicely for me.
post #2681 of 2890 Old 06-03-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone been able to make a direct comparison between the HD131Xe and the HD131Xw. Even though they seem the same, when looking at the front, the glass on the lens of the 131Xw appears to be larger that the glass on the lens of the 131Xe ?
post #2682 of 2890 Old 06-03-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin173 View Post

Did you try the settings that are buried in this thread somewhere? They worked nicely for me.

I set the colors as described in the post #2640 (by John0972).
That helped for some programs but not for all. I think the light source inside the projector is not white, it may have some complex yellow/red tint to it.
I already ordered 3d glasses etc not fore-seeing that I might return this. Now that it is all here I will give it one more try tonight.
post #2683 of 2890 Old 06-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post

Has anyone been able to make a direct comparison between the HD131Xe and the HD131Xw. Even though they seem the same, when looking at the front, the glass on the lens of the 131Xw appears to be larger that the glass on the lens of the 131Xe ?
Looking at the stats the only difference I see is the color.
post #2684 of 2890 Old 06-05-2014, 09:37 AM

Just received my new HD131Xe. It's replacing an Epson EX70 (720p WXGA), which has served very well for five years. The EX70 will be doing family room service, while the HD131Xe takes over the home theater projection duties.

One of the reasons I picked the HD131Xe was the throw ratio put it right in the mid range for our existing celing mount distance (13') and screen size (111"). Several competing projectors would have required moving the mount, patching drywall and repainting; I would have done that if there was a more compelling product than the Optoma, but I didn't find anything that offered better performance and value.

I ran through the set up last night. I must be living right, because my mount height and screen height were perfect. I didn't have to touch the keystone settings. I have it set on economy brightness, which is plenty bright for our light controlled theater. I played around with the color settings and modes; mostly leaving the default settings. I'll tweak as I get more experience with input from various sources. Really impressed with the picture quality. Noticeable step up from the 720p I am used to. Haven't noticed any rainbow effect, don't know if I or anyone in my family is sensitive to it. It's also quieter than the Epson, which I also used in economy mode. Really impressed with what you get for a $700 projector. Looking forward to trying out the 3D, as soon as I get some glasses.

It was hard for me to move away from Epson and LCD technology, because we've enjoyed the EX70 so much. But, in the same price range, Epson doesn't have a compelling 1080p 3D solution. Takes a bit more money to get to the same point with Epson's offerings.

For those of you looking for a good deal on the HD131Xe: I'm an Amazon prime member, and that's where a lot of my electronics purchases come from. In this case, I ordered from Rakuten.com. Pricing was equal to Amazon, but no tax, and I was able to use their super points promotion code to get the equivalent of a $100 credit that will become valid in a couple of weeks. Will use that to buy a few pairs of 3D glasses.
Blindman0v0 likes this.
post #2685 of 2890 Old 06-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Liked: 13
Third time sending in my projector. They are going to replace it with another unit.

After servicing it in for the focus issue it had been sent in for artifacts twice. Looks like sloppy tech work. PITA. This is the Richmond hill depot.
post #2686 of 2890 Old 06-09-2014, 06:00 AM

We watched Gravity 3D over the weekend and all I can say is phenomenal. Turned a good movie into a great movie, 3D is incredible on this projector.
post #2687 of 2890 Old 06-10-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin173 View Post

We watched Gravity 3D over the weekend and all I can say is phenomenal. Turned a good movie into a great movie, 3D is incredible on this projector.
Can't wait till I get my cataract surgery so I can try it out. Been very happy with this projector so far. The only issue I have is with the PJ losing signal between videos.
post #2688 of 2890 Old 06-10-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Does anyone know when the new models will be coming out ? Trying to decide if I should get an HD131Xe now, and chance the focus issue, or, just wait for the new models and see if the new offerings will actually offer something better that the current offerings. Hopefully at the same price point.
post #2689 of 2890 Old 06-12-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Newbie... Questions.....

Hello everyone,

I just bought this projector from Costco Canada mainly because of their 90 day return policy + 2 year extended warranty for 799CAD.

Overall I like this projector but have not had any chance to play around with this much.

My concerns so far:
1) Fast action scenes do not look very smooth... is it just me who is used to 240hz tv or is it the video source? I have not tried any Blueray or even DVD player... I was watching through downloaded file via Laptop (it has 2gb Nvidia 3d supported Graphics card + internal Intel HD graphics, and Intel i7 processor, so lower hardware specs is not an issue).... same video do look smooth on my 60inch LG tv and Laptop screen

2) From 16 ft distance 140 inch wall projection looked dull (most probably because or light reflections from ceiling and one side wall which is painted in satin white).... but from shorter distance and about 90 inch screen it looked perfect... It would be great help if someone can suggest the best way to stop light reflections from walls

3) Just for test I ordered SainSonic Rainbow series glasses, it worked fine until someone turned the lights ON... I was on very bright white menu in PS3 WipeOut HD game.... but when game started and more colours appeared and Image got darker, glasses synced back
post #2690 of 2890 Old 06-12-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious.sam View Post
Hello everyone,

I just bought this projector from Costco Canada mainly because of their 90 day return policy + 2 year extended warranty for 799CAD.

Overall I like this projector but have not had any chance to play around with this much.

My concerns so far:
1) Fast action scenes do not look very smooth... is it just me who is used to 240hz tv or is it the video source? I have not tried any Blueray or even DVD player... I was watching through downloaded file via Laptop (it has 2gb Nvidia 3d supported Graphics card + internal Intel HD graphics, and Intel i7 processor, so lower hardware specs is not an issue).... same video do look smooth on my 60inch LG tv and Laptop screen

2) From 16 ft distance 140 inch wall projection looked dull (most probably because or light reflections from ceiling and one side wall which is painted in satin white).... but from shorter distance and about 90 inch screen it looked perfect... It would be great help if someone can suggest the best way to stop light reflections from walls

3) Just for test I ordered SainSonic Rainbow series glasses, it worked fine until someone turned the lights ON... I was on very bright white menu in PS3 WipeOut HD game.... but when game started and more colours appeared and Image got darker, glasses synced back
1: Thats just the nature of video files. Because they are compressed they usually lower the frame rate which really effects action scenes.
2: As long as the room is dark usually the white walls and ceilings won't hurt too much. You can lose some black detail but this PJ is pretty much a light cannon and usually still looks good in daylight on my 120" screen. Your only real option if it bothers you is to paint the walls and ceiling some darker colors. They don't have to be black or real dark, but even a gray color will help.
3" The DLP glasses rely on syncing with a light that flashes on the screen that your eyes can't see. So just like the projector if the lights go on the quality goes down and its harder for the glasses to sync. The RF glasses are the way to go to remedy this and you'll have a better picture too. But they cost more. You have to buy both the glasses and an emitter that hooks to the projector.
serious.sam likes this.
post #2691 of 2890 Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post
1: Thats just the nature of video files. Because they are compressed they usually lower the frame rate which really effects action scenes.
2: As long as the room is dark usually the white walls and ceilings won't hurt too much. You can lose some black detail but this PJ is pretty much a light cannon and usually still looks good in daylight on my 120" screen. Your only real option if it bothers you is to paint the walls and ceiling some darker colors. They don't have to be black or real dark, but even a gray color will help.
3" The DLP glasses rely on syncing with a light that flashes on the screen that your eyes can't see. So just like the projector if the lights go on the quality goes down and its harder for the glasses to sync. The RF glasses are the way to go to remedy this and you'll have a better picture too. But they cost more. You have to buy both the glasses and an emitter that hooks to the projector.
Thanks for suggestions,

1) This weekend I will try with different sources, lets see if they are any better
2) Though I am using my PJ in basement with controlled light, I am still thinking to darken area around projection wall with flat grey paint and will be buying 120" White screen by the end of this month http://www.rmmelectronics.com/xenium...6-9-motorized/
This looks like pretty good deal to me
3) Even I did not like DLP Glasses, will look for RF glasses deal
post #2692 of 2890 Old 06-13-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious.sam View Post
Thanks for suggestions,

1) This weekend I will try with different sources, lets see if they are any better
2) Though I am using my PJ in basement with controlled light, I am still thinking to darken area around projection wall with flat grey paint and will be buying 120" White screen by the end of this month http://www.rmmelectronics.com/xenium...6-9-motorized/
This looks like pretty good deal to me
3) Even I did not like DLP Glasses, will look for RF glasses deal
There's some pretty good deals on ebay for motorized screens too. I bought a 106" one for my brother for $73.
Finally got my cataract surgery done so I think I'll finally get to try out my DLP glasses tonight.
post #2693 of 2890 Old 06-13-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
There's some pretty good deals on ebay for motorized screens too. I bought a 106" one for my brother for $73.
Finally got my cataract surgery done so I think I'll finally get to try out my DLP glasses tonight.
Great news, Finally you will be able to enjoy 3d movies but do take care of your eyes and thanks for advice but I live in Canada so shipping adds a lot of cost plus currency conversion, while this one I can pick up from his store (which is a bit far away) or meet somewhere in middle to save shipping... and 140$ for motorised 120" screen do not look bad... but lets see, I have not finalized anything.
post #2694 of 2890 Old 06-14-2014, 11:00 AM

Nothing wrong with $140 for a 120" screen. I'm just cheap is all and always try and make my entertainment dollar go as far as I can.
post #2695 of 2890 Old 06-14-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I believe for 24hz viewing the Optoma projectors (almost all of them) are 4x, and for 60hz viewing, they are 2x.

The W1070 is 4x for 60hz viewing a 6x for 24hz viewing.

It's a rare review which calls out the Optoma projectors with a better image than the W1070. Since it uses a RGB/RGB 6 segment color wheel with no clear section, it's out of the box color delivery is considered outstanding. I know there is a poster above who called it dull, but that's far from my experience (5th projector I've owned) on a 161" diagonal screen.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #2696 of 2890 Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 AM

Well finaly got my catract surgery done and was able to watch my first 3D movie ever. Can't say I'm very impressed. Watched Dredd 3D last night and It just didn't look very good to me. The brightness was fine, the colors were a little subdued but I didn;t see much depth to the screen. Just me or is it something I'm doing wrong? Used the Sainsonic Rainbow glasses, they seemed to sync ok. Had projector set on dlp link.
post #2697 of 2890 Old 06-15-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Well finaly got my catract surgery done and was able to watch my first 3D movie ever. Can't say I'm very impressed. Watched Dredd 3D last night and It just didn't look very good to me. The brightness was fine, the colors were a little subdued but I didn;t see much depth to the screen. Just me or is it something I'm doing wrong? Used the Sainsonic Rainbow glasses, they seemed to sync ok. Had projector set on dlp link.
Dredd 3d imo had tremendous depth, one of my favorite 3d demos actually. SPOILERS. How did you find the 3d effect in the end when Mama was falling down with the slomo effect? That's probably the best 3d scene there. But the depth is also impressive all throughout the movie. I'm using estar's rf glasses btw.
post #2698 of 2890 Old 06-16-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosdavid View Post
Quote:
Dredd 3d imo had tremendous depth, one of my favorite 3d demos actually. SPOILERS. How did you find the 3d effect in the end when Mama was falling down with the slomo effect? That's probably the best 3d scene there. But the depth is also impressive all throughout the movie. I'm using estar's rf glasses btw.
Must be something I'm doing wrong. Tried messing with the 3D a little last night and didn't get any better results. I know the projector and blu ray player are displaying the 3D image because if I take my glasses off the picture is terrible. Put them on and it clears up but still not much depth.
Maybe I need to go to a theater and watch a 3d mover there just to see if from some reason its not going to work for me.
post #2699 of 2890 Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Must be something I'm doing wrong. Tried messing with the 3D a little last night and didn't get any better results. I know the projector and blu ray player are displaying the 3D image because if I take my glasses off the picture is terrible. Put them on and it clears up but still not much depth.
Maybe I need to go to a theater and watch a 3d mover there just to see if from some reason its not going to work for me.
You could always try another movie (trailer). A lot of the animated stuff have a lot more pop. I remember downloading the Legends of the guardian trailer and being blown away.
post #2700 of 2890 Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDecoded View Post
You could always try another movie (trailer). A lot of the animated stuff have a lot more pop. I remember downloading the Legends of the guardian trailer and being blown away.
I've got Resident Evil Afterlife in 3D, haven't tried to watch it yet. I'm just wondering if there's such a thing as 3D not working for some people because of eye problems or something. Have never heard of that sort of thing. Thats why I'm tempted to go to a regular movie theater and watch a 3D movie there to see if I can see it.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page