Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 2873 Old 06-17-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post
I've got Resident Evil Afterlife in 3D, haven't tried to watch it yet. I'm just wondering if there's such a thing as 3D not working for some people because of eye problems or something. Have never heard of that sort of thing. Thats why I'm tempted to go to a regular movie theater and watch a 3D movie there to see if I can see it.
Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2873 Old 06-17-2014, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've had the projector up for a couple weeks now and I'm loving it. The picture looks great even in moderate ambient light (it looks much better in the dark, of course). I've been watching World Cup matches during the day and it looks really good.

I did finally see some RBE at the end of Gravity when the titles are all white.

3D looks pretty good. I've only watched a few minutes of Avengers so far. I might order one or two more pairs of glasses so I can watch a movie with the family in 3D. I'm generally not that interested in 3D, but a couple things look fun.
post #2703 of 2873 Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Nothing wrong with $140 for a 120" screen. I'm just cheap is all and always try and make my entertainment dollar go as far as I can.
Lol... NP.. at this point of time even on wall, picture looks good so I am not in any hurry to buy any screen.

Btw you mentioned that you are not able to see 3d properly. Did you try switching the image? On my SainSonic glasses there is a button to switch images between eyes... When I first watched 3d, it did not work properly but after pressing that button, images switched to proper eye and I was able to see everything clearly.... I think there is option like that in projector menu also... try that... it may work.
post #2704 of 2873 Old 06-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious.sam View Post
Lol... NP.. at this point of time even on wall, picture looks good so I am not in any hurry to buy any screen.

Btw you mentioned that you are not able to see 3d properly. Did you try switching the image? On my SainSonic glasses there is a button to switch images between eyes... When I first watched 3d, it did not work properly but after pressing that button, images switched to proper eye and I was able to see everything clearly.... I think there is option like that in projector menu also... try that... it may work.
Yeah I tried the right and left switch, didn't really change anything. Maybe I'm just expecting more that what its capable of. Never seen a 3D movie thats why I'm thinking of going to a regular theater and see if its just me.
post #2705 of 2873 Old 06-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Yeah I tried the right and left switch, didn't really change anything. Maybe I'm just expecting more that what its capable of. Never seen a 3D movie thats why I'm thinking of going to a regular theater and see if its just me.
You'll know without a doubt it if its right and this projector is capable of surprisingly good 3D. There's a scene in Gravity where they drop a bolt and it floats right onto your face before Clooney reaches out and grabs it. Spectacular scene.

Maybe the RF glasses are the difference.
post #2706 of 2873 Old 06-19-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Yesterday I tried "Under the sea" Imax 3D Bluray.... It was spectacular.... try it
post #2707 of 2873 Old 06-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin173 View Post
You'll know without a doubt it if its right and this projector is capable of surprisingly good 3D. There's a scene in Gravity where they drop a bolt and it floats right onto your face before Clooney reaches out and grabs it. Spectacular scene.

Maybe the RF glasses are the difference.
Yeah I'm thunking of buying the emitter and a pair of rf glasses. They're supposed to have better contrast too.
post #2708 of 2873 Old 06-19-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah I'm thunking of buying the emitter and a pair of rf glasses. They're supposed to have better contrast too.
Go to Estar's Facebook page, they usally have a 5% coupon for Amazon, save yourself a few dollars.
post #2709 of 2873 Old 06-19-2014, 08:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Why don't you just invite a friend over, or family member, and switch the glasses between the two of you. Get the other person to give you a detailed description of what they see, and see if it matches what you are seeing. If they tell you how great it looks, then it may be something with you, but, if they see it the same as you do, then perhaps you should return the projector and get a replacement.
post #2710 of 2873 Old 06-20-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post
Why don't you just invite a friend over, or family member, and switch the glasses between the two of you. Get the other person to give you a detailed description of what they see, and see if it matches what you are seeing. If they tell you how great it looks, then it may be something with you, but, if they see it the same as you do, then perhaps you should return the projector and get a replacement.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll get my brother to come over and take a look at it.
post #2711 of 2873 Old 06-22-2014, 10:35 AM

Had my brother try out the 3D last night and it looks basically the same to him. It actually looks like rather than the 3d action coming towards you, it looks more like the depth is displayed in reverse, like its going into my screen instead of outwards. Must be some setting I have wrong but for the life of me I haven't been able to find it yet.
post #2712 of 2873 Old 06-22-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Had my brother try out the 3D last night and it looks basically the same to him. It actually looks like rather than the 3d action coming towards you, it looks more like the depth is displayed in reverse, like its going into my screen instead of outwards. Must be some setting I have wrong but for the life of me I haven't been able to find it yet.
Some movies are like that though. Many movies use 3D to add depth to the field as opposed to the gimmick of throwing things at you. What movie were you watching?
post #2713 of 2873 Old 06-22-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:

It seems that most 3D movies are actually like you are describing. It's as if you are looking out a window. There seem to be few that use it to it's maximum potential. There is a great scene in "Creature from the Black Lagoon" in 3D, early into the movie they find a skeletal arm and hand sticking out of a rock cropping. The hand and arm actually come out of the screen and right into your face, it's fantastic. But, once again, scenes such as this are very rare it seems. I think it is a waste to do 3D and not use it to it's full potential. Do some research and find a 3D movie that truly has objects come out of the screen. See if a friend has "Creature from the Black Lagoon" in 3D, or rent it, buy it, just get a hold of it and give it a try. It would be a great test scene for your projector, it should not cost you but $20.00 at the very most. If you are not excited by this scene, then there is definitely something wrong. You may be able to find a used copy on EBay.

Last edited by EManT2200; 06-22-2014 at 03:52 PM.
post #2714 of 2873 Old 06-23-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
As others have said, this is actually how most 3D movies work. The effects is there to give films an extra sense of depth, not to make stuff pop out at you. This is done for a few reasons. One of the biggest is simply because it causes less eye strain over the course of a full movie... a theme park attraction might be able to get away with lots of stuff flying at your face, but that's because those are filmed exclusively for 3D and last fifteen minutes, tops. It's also done because it severely reduces the chances of anything breaking at the edges of the frame. If everything exists "behind" the frame then it looks fairly natural, like a window, but if something passes through that layer and pops out at you, but part of it gets cut off by the edge of the frame, the resulting effect is highly distracting.

If you want something modern that still has lots of stuff popping out at you, I'd say your best bets would be horror movies, as that genre has always been pretty silly with its 3D. My Bloody Valentine, The Final Destination and Piranha 3D may not be great films, but they'll definitely throw stuff in your face. I also remember A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas having stupid 3D gags all over the place, so that might be a decent one to try as well.
post #2715 of 2873 Old 06-23-2014, 07:20 AM

Should I exchange 131xe for 25e??

Hello Guys,

I bought hd131xe from Costco a couple of weeks ago for 799 and I just noticed hd25e on deal for 899 (which includes 2 pair of RF glasses and 1 optoma RF emitter). Obviously 2 glasses and emitter is going to cost me 100$ but mainly I am interested in that 3000 extra luminous and 2000 more contrast. But most of the people say both projectors are same and it is just a marketing gimmick. Has anyone noticed any difference in both PJs?

What do you guys is it worth returning hd131 and buying new hd25e??
post #2716 of 2873 Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post
Some movies are like that though. Many movies use 3D to add depth to the field as opposed to the gimmick of throwing things at you. What movie were you watching?
I was watching the new Dredd movie. The only other 3D movie I have is Resident Evil Afterlife, haven't tried watching that one yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post
It seems that most 3D movies are actually like you are describing. It's as if you are looking out a window. There seem to be few that use it to it's maximum potential. There is a great scene in "Creature from the Black Lagoon" in 3D, early into the movie they find a skeletal arm and hand sticking out of a rock cropping. The hand and arm actually come out of the screen and right into your face, it's fantastic. But, once again, scenes such as this are very rare it seems. I think it is a waste to do 3D and not use it to it's full potential. Do some research and find a 3D movie that truly has objects come out of the screen. See if a friend has "Creature from the Black Lagoon" in 3D, or rent it, buy it, just get a hold of it and give it a try. It would be a great test scene for your projector, it should not cost you but $20.00 at the very most. If you are not excited by this scene, then there is definitely something wrong. You may be able to find a used copy on EBay.
Thats what I was wondering, if maybe I was asking for too much real 3D. Have never seen a 3D movie but my brother saw Avatar at the movies and he said there that the images literally came off the screen into your face. I was hoping thats what this would be.I'll look around and see if I can find a cheap blu ray 3D of the Black Lagoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez View Post
As others have said, this is actually how most 3D movies work. The effects is there to give films an extra sense of depth, not to make stuff pop out at you. This is done for a few reasons. One of the biggest is simply because it causes less eye strain over the course of a full movie... a theme park attraction might be able to get away with lots of stuff flying at your face, but that's because those are filmed exclusively for 3D and last fifteen minutes, tops. It's also done because it severely reduces the chances of anything breaking at the edges of the frame. If everything exists "behind" the frame then it looks fairly natural, like a window, but if something passes through that layer and pops out at you, but part of it gets cut off by the edge of the frame, the resulting effect is highly distracting.

If you want something modern that still has lots of stuff popping out at you, I'd say your best bets would be horror movies, as that genre has always been pretty silly with its 3D. My Bloody Valentine, The Final Destination and Piranha 3D may not be great films, but they'll definitely throw stuff in your face. I also remember A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas having stupid 3D gags all over the place, so that might be a decent one to try as well.
I've got the first 2 Harold and Kumar movies in blu ray, I'll see if I can find a 3D version of their christmas movie and try it.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.
post #2717 of 2873 Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I was watching the new Dredd movie. The only other 3D movie I have is Resident Evil Afterlife, haven't tried watching that one yet.

Thats what I was wondering, if maybe I was asking for too much real 3D. Have never seen a 3D movie but my brother saw Avatar at the movies and he said there that the images literally came off the screen into your face. I was hoping thats what this would be.I'll look around and see if I can find a cheap blu ray 3D of the Black Lagoon.

I've got the first 2 Harold and Kumar movies in blu ray, I'll see if I can find a 3D version of their christmas movie and try it.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.
Also try to get Under the Sea 3d. There is a scene there where a big fish literally comes face to face with you. You can't miss it. It's probably the best pop out 3d scene I've seen.
post #2718 of 2873 Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 AM

Played with Resident Evil Afterlife last night a little and it seems to look a little better. A few things seemed to come off the screen some. Maybe I was just expecting too much. Still is a great picture even without the 3D.
post #2719 of 2873 Old 06-24-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Played with Resident Evil Afterlife last night a little and it seems to look a little better. A few things seemed to come off the screen some. Maybe I was just expecting too much. Still is a great picture even without the 3D.
Yeah, like I said earlier, stuff coming out of the screen constantly proves to be distracting and detrimental to most movies. It seriously constricts framing possibilities (since nothing popping out of the screen can come in contact with the edges of the frame, things get visually redundant very quickly since it's just a bunch of perfectly-centered objects over and over), is more exhausting for the eyes, and almost always offers no real artistic benefit outside of an initial "hey, that's neat." It's used to add depth because after decades of trying to make things pop out, directors finally realized that it functions far better as an element of the composition rather than as the sole driver of it.

To put it in other terms, imagine if every single movie filmed with color looked like Speed Racer. The Godfather, Aliens, Fargo, all super-saturated and filled with every color of the rainbow all the time. Sure, it'd show off the technology of color film better, but would any of those movies actually benefit artistically? As it is, they're all shot in color, they all use it beautifully, but they're also not driven to show what color film is capable of as their primary goal.

If you want a stream of stuff popping out, I honestly have to say that your best bet are demo reels. They're designed to show off the tech first and foremost, so they'll show you the limits of what it's capable of, and they're not movie length so they're not concerned with being visually diverse. A movie has too much else on its table to have stuff popping out of the screen for most of its running time... it's just too restrictive a trick to repeat over and over since the limits it imposes on framing are so harsh.
Blindman0v0 likes this.
post #2720 of 2873 Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 AM

Yeah I think your right. I think I just had my expectations set too high. I didn't buy it just for the 3D so it doesn't really bother me, still love the projector.
post #2721 of 2873 Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 AM

I almost forgot to mention, my personal choice for best 3D movie is actually a bit of a technical mess, and stuff will never pop out at you, but it's the best utilization of the tech I've seen from an artistic standpoint: Cave of Forgotten Dreams. It's a documentary by Werner Herzog about the world's oldest known paintings, deep in a cave in France. The 3D cameras being used are very rudimentary (due to the extreme archeological importance of the site, the filmmakers are on an extremely tight leash), but they still do a wonderful job conveying the bumps and curves of the cave texture, and how those informed the paintings themselves.

It's still a Werner Herzog documentary, and if those aren't you thing then they aren't your thing, but I definitely think it's an artistic peak for the format, even if it's not a technical one.
Blindman0v0 likes this.
post #2722 of 2873 Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I am very unhappy with this projector compared to my 720p Infocus IN76 because of the rainbow effect. Does the color wheel spin much slower or something? I remember being able to see the rainbow effect when I first got the IN76 in 2005, but only if I forced myself to see it by waving my hand over my eyes. Now I see it all the time during dark scenes, especially if there is a light element somewhere on the screen. I am really disappointed in this "upgrade." The difference in resolution is astounding though.
post #2723 of 2873 Old 06-25-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah I think your right. I think I just had my expectations set too high. I didn't buy it just for the 3D so it doesn't really bother me, still love the projector.
You need to watch the Gravity BluRay if you want to see what this projector can do. There may be some truth to 3D being a gimmick in some movies but that's not the case here as it makes this movie far, far more enjoyable. Outer space is the perfect vehicle for 120" of 3D, the effects really add to the feel of the movie.
post #2724 of 2873 Old 06-25-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bman, it could be the Bluray player as well. Try playing the same movies through a different source, or use a PC to play some SBS files to test.
Blindman0v0 likes this.
post #2725 of 2873 Old 06-26-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post
I am very unhappy with this projector compared to my 720p Infocus IN76 because of the rainbow effect. Does the color wheel spin much slower or something? I remember being able to see the rainbow effect when I first got the IN76 in 2005, but only if I forced myself to see it by waving my hand over my eyes. Now I see it all the time during dark scenes, especially if there is a light element somewhere on the screen. I am really disappointed in this "upgrade." The difference in resolution is astounding though.
Try increasing "Brilliant Color." I didn't notice RBE with my previous Optoma but RBE was very noticeable with the HD131Xe until I increased Brilliant Color.

Wikipedia about Digital Light Processing: Today however, systems with DLP’s BrilliantColor technology have virtually eliminated any of the color breakup that was sometimes seen on older DLP projectors.
NoThru22 likes this.
post #2726 of 2873 Old 06-26-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 90
That sounds like a feature that I would never touch otherwise. Thanks for the recommendation. I might not be able to test it out until Saturday.
post #2727 of 2873 Old 06-26-2014, 07:07 AM

Re-Question

I already have hd131xe, is it worth to go for hd25e just for 100$ more with 2 rf glasses and emitter?

I talked with Optoma tech support,
q-If hd131xe and hd25e uses same bulb than how come hd25e is more brighter?
a-It uses different chipset

q-If it uses different Chipset, why people can install hd25e firmware on hd131xe and it still works without any problems?
a-after a long pause... I have never heard about this, may be its just distribution thing (like one unit is sold to Best buy and other is exclusive for Costco) so basically just a marketing gimmick.

q-Both units are available at both costco and bestbuy.
a-I dont know then, but from data I have, it looks like only chipset is different is both units.

q-Is hd131xe and hd131xw same?
a-Yeah just color difference.

I am thinking to order hd25e and see it myself by comparing both PJs... if there is really any difference
post #2728 of 2873 Old 06-26-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin173 View Post
You need to watch the Gravity BluRay if you want to see what this projector can do. There may be some truth to 3D being a gimmick in some movies but that's not the case here as it makes this movie far, far more enjoyable. Outer space is the perfect vehicle for 120" of 3D, the effects really add to the feel of the movie.
Yeah the #d version of Gravity is on my list as well as 3D AVatar.
post #2729 of 2873 Old 06-26-2014, 02:16 PM

I keep seeing everyone stating that the HD131Xe and the HD131Xw are that same projectors, I beg to differ. When looking at photos of the front of these projectors, you can see the glass of the lenses, the lens on the HD131Xw (white), is considerably larger that the lens on the HD131Xe (black). Not sure why, unless it has something to do with Optoma addressing the focus issues of the HD131Xe .Which to me says that they are not the same . compare.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compare.jpg (69.7 KB, 22 views)
post #2730 of 2873 Old 06-26-2014, 02:22 PM

Now, click on the thumbnails on my post above and chime in on how things look to you ! Now that very difference is what prevents me from buying the HD131Xe until I can find out why the lenses appear to be different. Guess I could email Optoma huh, lol. Only thing is it seems that they only know what they read on the computer in front of them. If there really is no difference then I would purchase the HD131Xe simply because I like the black, but, if the HD131Xw addresses the focus issue, then I should go with that.

Last edited by EManT2200; 06-26-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page