Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 92 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2731 of 2747 Old 06-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post
Now, click on the thumbnails on my post above and chime in on how things look to you ! Now that very difference is what prevents me from buying the HD131Xe until I can find out why the lenses appear to be different. Guess I could email Optoma huh, lol. Only thing is it seems that they only know what they read on the computer in front of them. If there really is no difference then I would purchase the HD131Xe simply because I like the black, but, if the HD131Xw addresses the focus issue, then I should go with that.
May be its just me, but if you see carefully there is one brown ring inside lenses of both projectors... they both look same size, that means actual lens is similar.... If you look from some other view(see attached image), you will notice that lens is not bigger at all, it is just black plastic which resembles lens. I even talked with tech support and they said both projectors are same, they launched it because many people wanted white projector.

Lets see, anyways I have purchased HD25e, It will arrive tomorrow. I will compare it and will tell if there is any difference in lens at all (as even in HD25e white) lens looks exactly similar to hd131xw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amazon_HD131Xw_img2_lg.jpg (50.8 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2747 Old 06-27-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Now, click on the thumbnails on my post above and chime in on how things look to you ! Now that very difference is what prevents me from buying the HD131Xe until I can find out why the lenses appear to be different. Guess I could email Optoma huh, lol. Only thing is it seems that they only know what they read on the computer in front of them. If there really is no difference then I would purchase the HD131Xe simply because I like the black, but, if the HD131Xw addresses the focus issue, then I should go with that.
One more thing... Focus issue is gone with newly shipped hd131xe projectors... I have hd 131xe(from costco canada) and when I fire up test pattern, all lies are exactly 2 pixels, they are evenly focused all around... I tried to move menu around in all four corners and centre, no problems... I attached my laptop, printed "i" in whole screen and focus was perfect all around.... So I think Optoma listened and now issue has been fixed.
post #2733 of 2747 Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I keep seeing everyone stating that the HD131Xe and the HD131Xw are that same projectors, I beg to differ. When looking at photos of the front of these projectors, you can see the glass of the lenses, the lens on the HD131Xw (white), is considerably larger that the lens on the HD131Xe (black). Not sure why, unless it has something to do with Optoma addressing the focus issues of the HD131Xe .Which to me says that they are not the same . compare.jpg
Think it just looks bigger because they had to use a black sleeve around the lens itself otherwise you would end up with all kinds of reflections coming off a white sleeve and mess up the picture.
post #2734 of 2747 Old 07-01-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsdickerson View Post
Try increasing "Brilliant Color." I didn't notice RBE with my previous Optoma but RBE was very noticeable with the HD131Xe until I increased Brilliant Color.

Wikipedia about Digital Light Processing: Today however, systems with DLP’s BrilliantColor technology have virtually eliminated any of the color breakup that was sometimes seen on older DLP projectors.
It seems to have incredibly helped or at least mitigated it. The motion blur is still disappointing compared to my 2005 projector, though. Otherwise, everything is great.
post #2735 of 2747 Old 07-02-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post
It seems to have incredibly helped or at least mitigated it. The motion blur is still disappointing compared to my 2005 projector, though. Otherwise, everything is great.
Good to hear - I'm enjoying mine but I need to raise the screen and refocus.
post #2736 of 2747 Old 07-03-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So to confirm, this project has no horizontal lens shift, no vertical lens shift, and a 10" offset is that correct? It is also not a particularly short throw? It seems like a super bargain, but the margins to make it work in my room are VERY tight and I'm not sure if it will work.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #2737 of 2747 Old 07-03-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
So to confirm, this project has no horizontal lens shift, no vertical lens shift, and a 10" offset is that correct? It is also not a particularly short throw? It seems like a super bargain, but the margins to make it work in my room are VERY tight and I'm not sure if it will work.
Correct, except I think it's a 9" offset. Then you may need to look at the benq w1070. Similar pricing.

Last edited by Nicktx27; 07-03-2014 at 01:27 PM.
post #2738 of 2747 Old 07-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious.sam View Post
May be its just me, but if you see carefully there is one brown ring inside lenses of both projectors... they both look same size, that means actual lens is similar.... If you look from some other view(see attached image), you will notice that lens is not bigger at all, it is just black plastic which resembles lens. I even talked with tech support and they said both projectors are same, they launched it because many people wanted white projector.

Lets see, anyways I have purchased HD25e, It will arrive tomorrow. I will compare it and will tell if there is any difference in lens at all (as even in HD25e white) lens looks exactly similar to hd131xw.

Soooo, how's that HD25e working for 'ya ?
post #2739 of 2747 Old 07-04-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Soooo, how's that HD25e working for 'ya ?
So far, I am not able to see any difference except body colour... lens is exact same, same remote, even brightness looks similar, same box, same included materials... I dont think it is any brighter than hd131xe... but for 2 more glasses and an emitter its worth 100$ more (emitter = 50$ + each glass cost 90$*2 = 230$)... yeah RF glasses are better than DLP Link... with DLP Link glasses I lost link in very bright white menus of some PS3 games (wipeout HD)... no problem with RF Glasses... Again in Under the sea 3d, when there are many tiny fishes together I could not see them clearly with DLP Link Glasses but no problem with RF.... there is more depth with RF glasses but they are expensive...
post #2740 of 2747 Old 07-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Can someone who uses RF Glasses tell me if there is any humming noise coming out from both sides of the glasses? I tried 2 glasses and there is constant humming sound, looks like sound of crystal.

Normally you can not tell, but I was trying to calibrate some colour setting for 3d and I did not turn my Sound System ON, and I heard some humming noise coming out from both side bars of the glasses. I tried another pair and same...

Is it just me with too sensitive ears or others feel the same sound or there is something wrong with my glasses (they are original glasses supplied by Optoma)
post #2741 of 2747 Old 07-04-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
So far, I am not able to see any difference except body colour... lens is exact same, same remote, even brightness looks similar, same box, same included materials... I dont think it is any brighter than hd131xe... but for 2 more glasses and an emitter its worth 100$ more (emitter = 50$ + each glass cost 90$*2 = 230$)... yeah RF glasses are better than DLP Link... with DLP Link glasses I lost link in very bright white menus of some PS3 games (wipeout HD)... no problem with RF Glasses... Again in Under the sea 3d, when there are many tiny fishes together I could not see them clearly with DLP Link Glasses but no problem with RF.... there is more depth with RF glasses but they are expensive...
What about the picture quality without 3D. Do you notice any differences in the regular movies (no 3D). The HD25e is more expensive that the 131Xe, I thought maybe the picture is a little better than the 131Xe, perhaps a bit more sharper picture or such. By the way, I also read in other forums that the HD25e also had the same focus problem that the HD131Xe had, do you see that ? Has the focus problem in the HD25e also been fixed with the newer shipped projectors ?

Last edited by EManT2200; 07-05-2014 at 04:25 PM.
post #2742 of 2747 Old 07-05-2014, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Can someone who uses RF Glasses tell me if there is any humming noise coming out from both sides of the glasses? I tried 2 glasses and there is constant humming sound, looks like sound of crystal.

Normally you can not tell, but I was trying to calibrate some colour setting for 3d and I did not turn my Sound System ON, and I heard some humming noise coming out from both side bars of the glasses. I tried another pair and same...

Is it just me with too sensitive ears or others feel the same sound or there is something wrong with my glasses (they are original glasses supplied by Optoma)
I have 4 pairs of the Estars, no humming from any of them.
post #2743 of 2747 Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
What about the picture quality without 3D. Do you notice any differences in the regular movies (no 3D). The HD25e is more expensive that the 131Xe, I thought maybe the picture is a little better than the 131Xe, perhaps a bit more sharper picture or such. By the way, I also read in other forums that the HD25e also had the same focus problem that the HD131Xe had, do you see that ? Has the focus problem in the HD25e also been fixed with the newer shipped projectors ?
Nope... I am not a pro, but for a normal person, there is no difference in sharpness or anything... Some people say that once bulb gets about 50hrs on it, you can tell real difference but so far both look exact same..... Yeah I know even hd25e had focus problems but not with mine... both hd25e and hd131xe are ok.... I tried test grid, all lines are exactly 2 pixels. only thing which I notice is convergence, though it is not much but there is some convergence in bottom 1-2 ft of the image (my image size is roughly 6 x 11 ft, 150")... though lines are 2 pixels sharp, you can notice some very dark blue shadow in next half pixel (both sides)... you notice it only when you go very close to the screen. Its a big problem with all 3 lcd projectors but happens in DLP as well but not a big concern for me as I am not able to notice once I go a bit far.

Again exact same convergence problem was with HD131xe as well, so it forces me to say it again and again that both projectors are same. So until and unless you are getting a great deal on hd25e go for hd131xe or xw.
kreeturez likes this.
post #2744 of 2747 Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin173 View Post
I have 4 pairs of the Estars, no humming from any of them.

Ohh Crap... should I contact Optoma then?
post #2745 of 2747 Old 07-08-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any discernable differences between the hd131xe and the dh1011?
post #2746 of 2747 Old 07-08-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
Yep. Thankfully it isn't short throw or I wouldn't be able to use it.

Anyone sent their unit in to Optoma before? I'm curious what kind of time frame they get PJs back in, I miss mine already.
post #2747 of 2747 Old 07-08-2014, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John0972 View Post
These are my setting as calibrated using my meter and software, be aware small differences between each model, the screen and the room will mean these settings will not work on anyone else's projector but they might get you in the ballpark, i decided to calibrate with Dynamic black set to low since it adds much to darker scenes, especially for space or horror films, you can get more perfect calibration by setting Dynamic Black to off but the settings below should only be used when black level is set to on and low.

Settings with Dynamic Black set to On and Low, Brilliant Color set to 1. Bulb set to High.

I always set to Reference and then Gamma to Film, this gives better greyscale performance according to the meter, this shows as User when you start changing settings, make sure format is set to Native and zoom and keystone are at 0.

Brightness 0 
Contrast -9
Sharpness 9
Color 8
Tint 0

Advanced Color Menu

White R -11
White G +4
White B -9

Red Hue - 12
Red Saturation -3
Red Gain -13

Green Hue 27
Green Saturation 12
Green Gain 7

Blue Hue 13
Blue Saturation -9
Blue Gain -35

Yellow Hue 37
Yellow Saturation -11
Yellow Gain 17

Cyan Hue -26
Cyan Saturation 0
Cyan Gain 9

Magenta Hue 22
Magenta Saturation -8
Magenta Gain -15

3D settings with Dynamic Black set to low and Brilliant Color set to 1 using Reference and Film Gamma, again this shows as User when you change things, you need to make sure it's in 3D mode or it will alter your 2D settings. Bulb set to High.

Brightness +1
Contrast -7
Sharpness 9
Color -4
Tint 0

Advanced Color Menu

White R -8
White G 0
White B 10

Red Hue -15
Red Saturation -2
Red Gain 2 -13

Green Hue 25
Green Saturation 0
Green Gain 2

Blue Hue 24
Blue Saturation 5
Blue Gain -28

Yellow Hue 34
Yellow Saturation -16
Yellow Gain 5

Cyan Hue 18
Cyan Saturation -4
Cyan Gain 7

Magenta Hue -18
Magenta Saturation -1
Magenta Gain -8

The above settings will likely not work for anyone and could make your image worse, screen calibration tends to work only for the screen, the room and the projector you are using at the time, i give the readings only for entertainment purposes and as a possible starting guide for some people to use.

So, I was playing around with these calibration settings, and noticed a few quirks with this projector.

1. The gamma seems to change when you change the color space from YUV to Auto (I have my BD player configured to YUV)

2. If I have my White set to -10, 4, -16 and change the green to 5, the third white bar from the right on the DVE Reverse grey ramp dramatically changes color. 4 produces a much more bluer grey, 5 produces a much more reddish. It is not a smooth transition as it is when changing any other value. Also, I noticed that the smooth gradient at the top ceases to not be smooth with some banding, but that there are darker bands after lighter ones. I attached a picture to illustrate. Playing around with contrast and brightness just shift the location/number of the bands, but you do see the dark band to the left of a lighter one, if that makes any sense. Is this normal behavior? I am using a cheaper HDMI cable from a few years ago that I used with an older 720p projector, but my understanding is that if there was a cable issue, I would be getting sparkles, not banding. Is that correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo copy.jpg (127.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page