Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 2922 Old 08-08-2014, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just got mine set up last night on a 100" screen. The wife and I put on some blu-ray quality material and we were instantly disappointed. There was no pop, the contrast was fair and the colors looked dull and lifeless. My wife is one of those people that is blown away with a bright, overly saturated, cranked Best Buy TV playing some animated movie but she was right in her assessment. The thing looked like a turd. I don't have my calibration disk yet so I tried some user settings I found in one of these threads and it looked worse. I am picky and I am unfairly comparing this entry level projector to a high end 65" plasma that I had before but it was pretty bad. I tried to hide my disdain but my wife blurted out "THIS THING SUCKS!"

I had to leave for awhile and when I came back, I gave it another try fiddling with the settings, navigating the derpy menu and controller. At that time it was getting late and the ambient light was almost gone. That's when there was the moment of atonement....

The colors were alive, the image was sharp and the black levels/contrast were dare I say, Very good. I tried to find some flaws with the picture but was stumped. No RBE for me, motion seemed fine, lighting and focus was uniform and the colors, although not calibrated were pretty darn good. The one thing I noticed on the lighter parts was that I could focus on the texture of the screen but that's not really the projectors fault and I see that on all projectors including at the theater. I did see some of the "mosquito noise" talked about here on people's faces but a few adjustments and they were pretty much gone. Out of the box, I did notice the unnatural "tanning spray" look on skin tones but again, a few adjustment and that was gone. I can't wait to calibrate this properly.

The above post was dead on;
"losing signal while changing files problem and I wish the focus wasn't quite so touchy". Totally agree. The fan is right above me and it is audible but I have really, really good hearing and it wasn't a deal breaker at all.

Overall, especially for the price, this projector is pretty awesome, just be sure that you can control the lighting. Hopefully soon, I can get a 3-d emitter and some glasses.
Blindman0v0 and LDizzle like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2922 Old 08-08-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have mine sitting next to me on the coffee table and the sound doesn't bother me. In real quiet scenes I can hear it but thats about it. Most of the time I wear headphones so that I can crank up the sound a little and not disturb the neighbors.
I haven't had to adjust anything on mine so far. The facial colors all look pretty good. Some of the indoor scenes have a little more red some times but thats because they are shot under florescent lighting.
The low signal strength is my only complaint.
post #2793 of 2922 Old 08-08-2014, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
@ agent8, Its a projector so of coarse its not going to look ideal in daylight or a lit room no matter what artificial specs claim.

They look there best in a darkened room for movie viewing etc not daytime TV/Soaps so not going to replace a TV for many users.

Last edited by jh30uk; 08-08-2014 at 11:35 PM.
post #2794 of 2922 Old 08-09-2014, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh30uk View Post
@ agent8, Its a projector so of coarse its not going to look ideal in daylight or a lit room no matter what artificial specs claim.

They look there best in a darkened room for movie viewing etc not daytime TV/Soaps so not going to replace a TV for many users.
This.

No matter how expensive your projector is once you turn on the lights its gonna look terrible compared to any tv.

My projector is still as bright as ever after clocking 1500 hours on the lamp. I wonder if anyone has had to replace their lamp already?
lgans316 likes this.
post #2795 of 2922 Old 08-09-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediscexchange View Post
Having an issue with 3d signal. It loses signal then just goes fuzzy (snowy) while watching a 3d bluray on my ps3 (latest firmware). I'm using premium hdmi cables into a yamaha 675 receiver (latest firmware) then out to the projector. I can change the input on the amp to my hdtv box and back to the ps3 and it corrects itself. But I hardly think I'm gonna be happy about doing that every time.
Sounds like a faulty hdmi cable. Once had that happen to me too, the cable I replaced was the one connecting the player to the receiver. Even a generic cable would suffice imo.
post #2796 of 2922 Old 08-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC00ps View Post
They came back to me straight away saying I probably have been given an HD131x remote by mistake as they look identical but don't work on the HD131xe and has put one in the post for me. I'll see what it's like when it turns up.
Forgot to post back - I got a replacement remote in a couple of days and now it's fine. Same model number but slightly different button layout...
post #2797 of 2922 Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosdavid View Post
Sounds like a faulty hdmi cable. Once had that happen to me too, the cable I replaced was the one connecting the player to the receiver. Even a generic cable would suffice imo.
No it connects and functions normal when hooked directly into projector. Bought a new receiver and so far it is working. I still get snow when I start a new bluray 3d disc though??? But if I change inputs and comeback it works flawlessly and doesn't drop connection???? I think it's a bit of both, projector in dlp link mode not communicating properly with the receiver. Next I'll buying rf glasses abs see if that solves it completely.
post #2798 of 2922 Old 08-09-2014, 11:16 AM

Just watched 2 movies back to back last night and man this projector is awesome! Ordered the Disney WOW calibration disk and I'm gonna do some more research on emitters and 3d glasses.

It was kinda weird, after turning it off last night, the fan ramped up like always and then after about 3 seconds of going into standby, the green light blinked a few times and it powered back on. Hoping it was a fluke or something cause I know that is hard on the lamp.
lgans316 likes this.

Last edited by agent8; 08-09-2014 at 11:23 AM.
post #2799 of 2922 Old 08-09-2014, 11:16 AM

double post: Sorry

Last edited by agent8; 08-09-2014 at 11:23 AM.
post #2800 of 2922 Old 08-10-2014, 03:55 AM

How does the HD131XE compare to my old BenQ W700? I know the higher resolution but what I mean is the contrast and picture quality and color accuracy...
Would the HD25-LV be the better choice for A LOT MORE money?

Last edited by Polypropylen; 08-10-2014 at 04:01 AM.
post #2801 of 2922 Old 08-10-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
LV is reportedly a light cannon as it dubbed a living room PJ. The reviews have rated it high as it stands by its claim of looking good even in bright rooms.

Blu-ray : 340
post #2802 of 2922 Old 08-10-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
LV is reportedly a light cannon as it dubbed a living room PJ. The reviews have rated it high as it stands by its claim of looking good even in bright rooms.
Well I need to find the best projector for my fixed throw distance of 3.26meters with a fixed screen of 1.99m x 1.12m! And that basically forces me into the Optoma HD131XE...If you know anything different/better it would be cool if you'd post it in my thread: Looking for a 1080p gaming projector that fits my current setup
post #2803 of 2922 Old 08-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Can anyone suggest some 3d glasses that can be use WITH prescription glasses? DLP link or RF, doesn't matter. All the ones I am looking at look like they have small lenses and won't work well with prescription glasses.
post #2804 of 2922 Old 08-10-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post
Just watched 2 movies back to back last night and man this projector is awesome! Ordered the Disney WOW calibration disk and I'm gonna do some more research on emitters and 3d glasses.

It was kinda weird, after turning it off last night, the fan ramped up like always and then after about 3 seconds of going into standby, the green light blinked a few times and it powered back on. Hoping it was a fluke or something cause I know that is hard on the lamp.
You have to hit the off button twice other wise it comes back on. Should be a balloon message that comes up and asks if you're sure you want to turn it off.
post #2805 of 2922 Old 08-10-2014, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So for 3d gaming, I'll need:
1. The projector
2. DLP Link Glasses

and that's it? How would I go setting up something like batman arkham city in 3d? I have a nvidia graphics card if that helps.

Oh, and is there anything that increases the zoom? My room is only 3m long and wide and the image displayed is only calculated at a mere 90 inches (2.3m). I googled a bit and found some people mentioning mirrors, and other things mentioning ridiculously expensive lenses.

Any info is appreciated.

Last edited by badhomaks; 08-10-2014 at 11:31 PM.
post #2806 of 2922 Old 08-12-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got the PJ delivered and got the mount plate lined up where I want it. Problem is the M3 screws that came with the mount dont seem to fit. Could it be the thread type or do you really need elbow grease to get them in? Dont want to break anything EEK
post #2807 of 2922 Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b15nut View Post
Just got the PJ delivered and got the mount plate lined up where I want it. Problem is the M3 screws that came with the mount dont seem to fit. Could it be the thread type or do you really need elbow grease to get them in? Dont want to break anything EEK
I had to buy 3m screws from homedepot. 45. For apack of 3.
One of the threads on the projector started to strip on me, watch the elbow grease!
b15nut likes this.
post #2808 of 2922 Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Can anyone suggest some 3d glasses that can be use WITH prescription glasses? DLP link or RF, doesn't matter. All the ones I am looking at look like they have small lenses and won't work well with prescription glasses.
I bought some off Ebay. They are Sainsonic 3D Active glasses, and have a larger lens to fit over your glasses. Only cost me around $25 and they work fine. I don't have the link to where I bought them anymore, but there should be some on there some where. Any to fit over glasses will say that they 'Fit Over' .

JCP
post #2809 of 2922 Old 08-13-2014, 07:54 AM

I almost went with the sainsonics but I read numerous reports of degraded contrast and pq. I took a chance and ordered some Okba ultralights. In truth, they look exactly the same as the Sainsonics so I guess I'll have to wait and see. LOL
post #2810 of 2922 Old 08-13-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I had to buy 3m screws from homedepot. 45. For apack of 3.
One of the threads on the projector started to strip on me, watch the elbow grease!
Thanks. Got some from True Value and they went in smoothly.
post #2811 of 2922 Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 AM

Liked: 10
Just received my hd131xe. Have been looking at both the hd131xe and w1070, but the throw of the hd131xe better suits my room and added to one of the current promotions, made the optoma over $180 cheaper!!

Out of the box the focus looks sharp across entire screen. Wasn't so pleased with the flesh tones and found that switching from cinema to photo mode made a positive difference. Will try calibrating this weekend.

One thing I did not like, and wanted to check with other folks here was the dynamic black control. I found that if the media switched from one head shot to another head shot, the dynamic black control would cause the picture brightness to fluctuate such that the face would either darken or lighten shortly after the change of camera angle. I ended up turning dynamic black OFF. What do other users tend to do and do you notice the change in brightness?
post #2812 of 2922 Old 08-13-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I almost went with the sainsonics but I read numerous reports of degraded contrast and pq. I took a chance and ordered some Okba ultralights. In truth, they look exactly the same as the Sainsonics so I guess I'll have to wait and see. LOL

I think they all darken (lower contrast) the picture a bit, but I see no real problem with that as I get used to it real fast and it becomes unnoticable. As for the sharpness, I noticed that my quality sunglasses degrade my sharpness on the highway, but I don't see it with the Sainsonics on my Optoma picture. If someone could come up with some glasses that don't darken the picture it would be nice.

JCP
post #2813 of 2922 Old 08-13-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thediscexchange View Post
Having an issue with 3d signal. It loses signal then just goes fuzzy (snowy) while watching a 3d bluray on my ps3 (latest firmware). I'm using premium hdmi cables into a yamaha 675 receiver (latest firmware) then out to the projector. I can change the input on the amp to my hdtv box and back to the ps3 and it corrects itself. But I hardly think I'm gonna be happy about doing that every time.

Let me guess it happens specially on Bright scenes and you are using DLP-Link Glasses.

I had the same issue, tried to play WipeOut HD on my ps3. Most of the time it used to loose connection while I am in main menu. Restart the glasses and BAM... 3d back... never happened during game as there are lots of colours and dark areas on screen.

DLP-Link activates shutter with light pulses(notice that semi-transparent plastic piece between eye), which are not visible during very bright scenes and glasses go out of sync... as long as it is a short scene they will sync back but after a few seconds they will never sync back you need to restart the glasses for them to sync back.

I bought RF glasses and it has never happened after that... I know RF glasses are hard to get and are a bit expensive, but trust me, RF glasses are a big improvement... very good contrast, no out of sync problems and most imp... picture looks very sharp.... When I watched Under the sea - Imex 3d.... there was a scene where thousands of small fishes moving very fast and close to each other and that scene looked like a mess. After buying RF Glasses I could actually see each and every fish.

I also felt that RF glasses shows a bit more depth....

I would recommend trying RF glasses.... atleast it solved my problem.

Quote:

I use Optoma RF Glasses and they work great, go for DLP-Link if you dont care too much about quality and looking for cost effective solution they are OK for normal 3d purpose (I have SainSonic Rainbow series). Another thing, they both fit over my glasses but Optoma glasses are a bit bigger and covers my glasses completely

Last edited by serious.sam; 08-13-2014 at 01:37 PM.
post #2814 of 2922 Old 08-13-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Just got mine set up last night on a 100" screen. The wife and I put on some blu-ray quality material and we were instantly disappointed. There was no pop, the contrast was fair and the colors looked dull and lifeless. My wife is one of those people that is blown away with a bright, overly saturated, cranked Best Buy TV playing some animated movie but she was right in her assessment. The thing looked like a turd. I don't have my calibration disk yet so I tried some user settings I found in one of these threads and it looked worse. I am picky and I am unfairly comparing this entry level projector to a high end 65" plasma that I had before but it was pretty bad. I tried to hide my disdain but my wife blurted out "THIS THING SUCKS!"

I had to leave for awhile and when I came back, I gave it another try fiddling with the settings, navigating the derpy menu and controller. At that time it was getting late and the ambient light was almost gone. That's when there was the moment of atonement....

The colors were alive, the image was sharp and the black levels/contrast were dare I say, Very good. I tried to find some flaws with the picture but was stumped. No RBE for me, motion seemed fine, lighting and focus was uniform and the colors, although not calibrated were pretty darn good. The one thing I noticed on the lighter parts was that I could focus on the texture of the screen but that's not really the projectors fault and I see that on all projectors including at the theater. I did see some of the "mosquito noise" talked about here on people's faces but a few adjustments and they were pretty much gone. Out of the box, I did notice the unnatural "tanning spray" look on skin tones but again, a few adjustment and that was gone. I can't wait to calibrate this properly.

The above post was dead on;
"losing signal while changing files problem and I wish the focus wasn't quite so touchy". Totally agree. The fan is right above me and it is audible but I have really, really good hearing and it wasn't a deal breaker at all.

Overall, especially for the price, this projector is pretty awesome, just be sure that you can control the lighting. Hopefully soon, I can get a 3-d emitter and some glasses.

I think it gets better as your bulb gets a few hours on it.
I controlled light in my basement and now colours look perfect... make sure your picture is not too close to top or side wall or even floor... if this is the case then paint them with dark non reflective paint and use carpet on floor, it will improve picture a lot.
post #2815 of 2922 Old 08-13-2014, 01:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I have the Estars and they fit nicely over my glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post
The majority of us have been pretty happy with the projector especially at this price point. Would be nice if they would fix the losing signal while changing files problem and I wish the focus wasn't quite so touchy but I love the quality of the picture it produces.

I'd have to agree, losing the signal is irritating. I actually have to switch HDMI ports on the back to get the picture back sometimes. Other than that I've been really happy with the projector. I knew the kids would love the 3d but its so good that my wife and I have actually used it as much as them.
Blindman0v0 likes this.

Last edited by kmartin173; 08-13-2014 at 01:24 PM.
post #2816 of 2922 Old 08-13-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhomaks View Post
So for 3d gaming, I'll need:
1. The projector
2. DLP Link Glasses

and that's it? How would I go setting up something like batman arkham city in 3d? I have a nvidia graphics card if that helps.

Oh, and is there anything that increases the zoom? My room is only 3m long and wide and the image displayed is only calculated at a mere 90 inches (2.3m). I googled a bit and found some people mentioning mirrors, and other things mentioning ridiculously expensive lenses.

Any info is appreciated.
Yes mainly 2 things, also 3d capable game and graphics card.
I would say for fast paced games DLP Link is not a good choice, go for RF Glasses they are much better.
I use ps3, and as soon as I connected it with this projector, it detected 3d capable display and rite away it asked me if I wanted to enable 3d mode.
For WipeoutHD and Killzone 3, it asked me to run under 3d mode every time I start the game but for Grand Tourismo 5, I had to go to display settings and enable 3d mode to play in 3d. May be it is the same thing with PC as well, but I am not too sure.

If you use mirrors and other things, it will make picture dull and blur unless you go for very high end optics.... but that will cost you a lot and for that price it would be better to go with higher end projector with short throw...

I would advice you to go with BenQ w1070, it has shorter throw, roughly same price and just a bit poor performance than this PJ (benQ has better colours but sub par black levels, lower contrast and lower lumins)
post #2817 of 2922 Old 08-15-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Aren't the Sony PS3 glasses RF and super cheap? $10 here. You'd just need an emitter in addition I think.
post #2818 of 2922 Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTropic View Post
Aren't the Sony PS3 glasses RF and super cheap? $10 here. You'd just need an emitter in addition I think.
I am almost positive they will not work. They need to be at a 144 refresh rate.
post #2819 of 2922 Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi everybody, I finally got this projector running last night, I used the same mount ceiling I had with my good old qumi q2 and it worked just fine, I'm projecting to a 110' dye screen, luckly didn't have to make a lot of adjustment to make it work, now this are my impressions so far after one night used only and with out of the box settings

brightness: to my eyes it's very bright even in eco mode, I used in 2D and and in 3D with eco mode enabled and it was plenty bright using it with sainsoncs dlp link glasses, wich btw they lost sync a few times to some of my family members but I dind't have that problem(I think my family accidentaly pushed the sync button by mistake)but with a touch of a button it was fixed.

colors: this was a concern I had since a few members and review said that flesh tones were a bit off but again to my eyes they were very natural, skin looked well not redish at all, colors are very vivid and quite comparable with my lg led tv, there's some noise in the image but it's very minimal and nothing that can't be reduced I suppose.

black levels: well since I don't have much to compare with but my qumi q2, I can only say that it is big jump, I thought it will be a night and day difference but it wasn't, but I think that has to do with my living room instead of the projector, I enabled dynamic black but could'n see the dfference at all, but, make no mistake, blacks look very good to my eyes in default settings. I'll try this weekend a few dark movies to really apreciate the projector's black and make a few adjusments to see if I can improve them, but as of right now I'm very happy with it in all aspects.

noise: it's very quiet, way more quiet than my qumi q2.

sharpness: very, very sharp across the entire screen, at first I tried to look at the corners to see if they weren't focused but they were all sharp, and then I said to my self, you know what, I going to enjoy this projector instead of looking for defects, so all I can say is that I'm very satisfied with it.

I'll try a few settings some of the more experienced members posted here to see if they apply to my living room, I had doubts about the projector at first, (you know, flesh tones, image noise) but those went way as soon as I put the movie.
post #2820 of 2922 Old 08-16-2014, 10:26 AM

About the same results I've had. A great projector at a really good price point.
blacks look pretty good but you have to have a really dark room to really enjoy the blacks.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page