Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 95 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2821 of 2840 Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't think this PJ projects a sharp image. To my eyes it looks smooth and a bit cinematic. The black levels are decent when compared to similarly priced PJs.

Blu-ray : 340
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2840 Old 08-17-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just got my cheap ebay 3-d glasses. They are Sainsonic knock-offs and I would have to say, I was a little underwhelmed. I guess I was expecting Disneyland style 3d with depth that went on forever and wanting to swat crap out of my face. It performed about the same as my old plasma except my eyes feel like they have been crossed for a little bit. I tried the go to stuff like Avatar, Despicable Me, Gravity, and Journey to the Center of the Earth. I understand that 3d is not supposed to be things just "coming at you" the whole time but it seemed talked up on the forums. I tried changing viewing distance and angles, took off prescription glasses and inverted the 3d just in case too. Would buying the better rf style glasses with the emitter help or is this as good as it gets?

On a side note, I dialed this thing in with the WOW disk and had some people over for some regular 2d movies and everyone was blown away with the black levels, sharpness and overall awesome PQ. Sweet projector, almost wish I would have went with a 120" screen but my wife said NO WAY! LOL
post #2823 of 2840 Old 08-17-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post
I just got my cheap ebay 3-d glasses. They are Sainsonic knock-offs and I would have to say, I was a little underwhelmed. I guess I was expecting Disneyland style 3d with depth that went on forever and wanting to swat crap out of my face. It performed about the same as my old plasma except my eyes feel like they have been crossed for a little bit. I tried the go to stuff like Avatar, Despicable Me, Gravity, and Journey to the Center of the Earth. I understand that 3d is not supposed to be things just "coming at you" the whole time but it seemed talked up on the forums. I tried changing viewing distance and angles, took off prescription glasses and inverted the 3d just in case too. Would buying the better rf style glasses with the emitter help or is this as good as it gets?

On a side note, I dialed this thing in with the WOW disk and had some people over for some regular 2d movies and everyone was blown away with the black levels, sharpness and overall awesome PQ. Sweet projector, almost wish I would have went with a 120" screen but my wife said NO WAY! LOL
If you want stuff constantly popping into your face, horror is the way to go if you've got the stomach for it. It's always been a genre to embrace the most gimmicky elements of any technology with gusto. Final Destination 4 and 5, Piranha 3D and 3DD, and My Bloody Valentine are all Disneyland-style flicks in how they use it (though not in the actual content, of course!).
post #2824 of 2840 Old 08-17-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Check out Madagascar 3

Blu-ray : 340
post #2825 of 2840 Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
I don't think this PJ projects a sharp image. To my eyes it looks smooth and a bit cinematic. The black levels are decent when compared to similarly priced PJs.
I've found it to be very sharp, though I did have a dull spot before getting the lens fixed.
post #2826 of 2840 Old 08-18-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
Hi, imo I think it is very sharp, and what is really incredible is that the more I see it the more I like it, as I said earlier I have the qumi q2 and my first thougts after firing this projector were, "well it looks better but not night and day better", but now after using it a few days, this is defintely a night and day diference, the image is sharp, with vivid colors, great constrast, blacks are extremely good (to my eyes), and I know that it could be better if I had it in a bat cave, right now is in my living room but I can manage to get it fairly dark, I'm really satisfied, today I'm going to connect my darbee to it, sadly, it's the cobalt versión which is hdmi 1.3, and for 3D is not going to cut it(I never tought that I was going to buy lamp projector, that's why I bought this version) so I suspect that in 2D mode the darbee is going to improve the image as it did it on my qumi q2, thought my only concern is if the darbee will allow the image to pass trough in 3d but without the enhancing, will it? if it does that then I'll be more tan happy, all in all amazing projector.
lgans316 likes this.
post #2827 of 2840 Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Pretty much the same experience I've had. The 3d is underwhelming because I just think I was expecting too much. It just gives you a looking through a window effect but the problem is in real life we can look at objects through a window and everything is in focus. When viewing in 3D only some things are in focus. Not very realistic. Tried Dredd and Resident Evil Afterlife in 3D and was not impressed. Some scenes looked ok but most just didn't look very realistic.
post #2828 of 2840 Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrid64 View Post
Hi, imo I think it is very sharp, and what is really incredible is that the more I see it the more I like it, as I said earlier I have the qumi q2 and my first thougts after firing this projector were, "well it looks better but not night and day better", but now after using it a few days, this is defintely a night and day diference, the image is sharp, with vivid colors, great constrast, blacks are extremely good (to my eyes), and I know that it could be better if I had it in a bat cave, right now is in my living room but I can manage to get it fairly dark, I'm really satisfied, today I'm going to connect my darbee to it, sadly, it's the cobalt versión which is hdmi 1.3, and for 3D is not going to cut it(I never tought that I was going to buy lamp projector, that's why I bought this version) so I suspect that in 2D mode the darbee is going to improve the image as it did it on my qumi q2, thought my only concern is if the darbee will allow the image to pass trough in 3d but without the enhancing, will it? if it does that then I'll be more tan happy, all in all amazing projector.
I switched to projectors 7 years ago and haven't looked back. Don't know why more people don't convert. So much cheaper and easier to get a bigger and better picture.
Been very happy with the HD131xe. I still love the quality of the picture.
post #2829 of 2840 Old 08-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

That's definitely not as good as it gets. Spring for the emitter and some good glasses, try Gravity again and then see what you think.

120" is the way to go.....
post #2830 of 2840 Old 08-18-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just mounted my hd131xe at 11' and I can not get it to fill the 100" screen. I have the zoom set to its largest point but getting more like 92". Any ideas? Calculator showed it could hit from this distance.
post #2831 of 2840 Old 08-18-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b15nut View Post
I just mounted my hd131xe at 11' and I can not get it to fill the 100" screen. I have the zoom set to its largest point but getting more like 92". Any ideas? Calculator showed it could hit from this distance.
for 100" 10' 10" is the very closest you could get and that is from the lens to the screen. At 11' that doesn't give you much room. You should never mount it where you have to use one extreme or the other with the zoom. Move it back to around 12' and you will be golden.
post #2832 of 2840 Old 08-18-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
for 100" 10' 10" is the very closest you could get and that is from the lens to the screen. At 11' that doesn't give you much room. You should never mount it where you have to use one extreme or the other with the zoom. Move it back to around 12' and you will be golden.
Well damn. I will move it.
post #2833 of 2840 Old 08-18-2014, 03:29 PM

I have about 6 hours of use on mine and I swear this thing looks better every time I turn it on! I decided to send back the sainsonic knockoff 3-d glasses. It sucks the rf emitter and glasses are so much. I'm kinda glad I didn't go up to 120", I watch a lot of standard dvds and non blu ray material and it's already pretty ugly @ 100" plus I'm only at 12 or so feet away and the other main seat is only 9 or so feet away, any bigger would be cool for the "WOW" factor but for my room and distance it would be way overkill.
post #2834 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I have about 6 hours of use on mine and I swear this thing looks better every time I turn it on! I decided to send back the sainsonic knockoff 3-d glasses. It sucks the rf emitter and glasses are so much. I'm kinda glad I didn't go up to 120", I watch a lot of standard dvds and non blu ray material and it's already pretty ugly @ 100" plus I'm only at 12 or so feet away and the other main seat is only 9 or so feet away, any bigger would be cool for the "WOW" factor but for my room and distance it would be way overkill.
I've got a 120" screen with mine. I usually sit at 15' from the screen. But when I have a good sci fi blu ray in I like to move up to about 7" away from the screen. It really envelops you with a good movie.
post #2835 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post
I've got a 120" screen with mine. I usually sit at 15' from the screen. But when I have a good sci fi blu ray in I like to move up to about 7" away from the screen. It really envelops you with a good movie.
I really hope you mean 7‘ and not 7 inches. Lol.
Blindman0v0 likes this.
post #2836 of 2840 Old Today, 07:18 AM

It has been moved and am really impressed!. This is my first PJ and kicking myself not disobeying my wife a long time ago (she approves now!!! Easier to ask forgiveness than permission lol). Now for 3d, rf seems to be better and seems that once you cross 5 glasses it is cheaper to go with the HE6 emitter and Samsung glasses. Has only one person gone this route?
post #2837 of 2840 Old Today, 10:15 AM

All I've got is dlp so far but I'm going to upgrade hopefully before too long. haven't really been impressed with 3D so far.
post #2838 of 2840 Old Today, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b15nut View Post
It has been moved and am really impressed!. This is my first PJ and kicking myself not disobeying my wife a long time ago (she approves now!!! Easier to ask forgiveness than permission lol). Now for 3d, rf seems to be better and seems that once you cross 5 glasses it is cheaper to go with the HE6 emitter and Samsung glasses. Has only one person gone this route?
I saw the same thing. The review on amazon mentions it comes with the Pro5 glasses but I can't find anything on them anywhere.

Kinda stupid that the Estar rf starter kit is $70 with one pair of glasses and the glasses alone are $60. It's almost worth it to just keep getting the starter kit and sell the emitter somewhere every time you need a pair of glasses. For that much money, the rf or bluetooth style better blow my mind because the dlp link ones SUCKED!
post #2839 of 2840 Old Today, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Go to Estar's Facebook page, they usually have a code to get you a few bucks off at Amazon.

If the 3D isn't impressing you then I'd have to say its the cheap glasses. We've watched Gravity, Titanic, Imax Under the Sea and Iron Man 3 so far and every movie was incredible.
post #2840 of 2840 Old Today, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
the dlp link ones SUCKED!
To be fair, that's because Sainsonic glasses are bad in general, and yours were Sainsonics under a different name. There's a reason people generally say the avoid them... DLP Link is a perfectly viable technology (even if it isn't the best), but Sainsonic glasses are an absolutely terrible implementation of it. Estar makes good ones, and if you want to go cheap G15-DLP glasses are a much better bet than anything Sainsonic (though comfort is an issue for some people, I like them but YMMV).

An emitter is probably the best way to go in the long run, but bad glasses will ruin any type of 3D.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - Hd131xe by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page