AVS Forum banner

Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King?

382K views 3K replies 321 participants last post by  hyperactiveme 
#1 ·
I had just RMA'ed back to Amazon my BenQ W1070 and was going to jump the fence and pick up the HD25 only to learn it has been discountinued for the HD25e. Read the spammy (although the review was informative; now I know the differences between the HD25 and HD25e) review on Amazon for the HD25e, was just about to pull the trigger, and noticed a related product listed in the banner below for the HD131xe. If I remember correctly, "Wasn't this only available in Europe?" Seems this "e" suffixed version is an improved upon version from the HD131x as well and will be available in the US this time. I remember reading a cool thing about the HD131x was that it was basically the HD25 but in black and less expensive (and sans a pair of glasses which you didn't get with the HD25 in the US anyway). And a black projector > White projector IMO.

The HD131xe seems to have lower specs (by a hair: 2500 lumens vs 2800 and 18k:1 CR to 20k:1 CR) than the HD25e, but at significantly lower price. Add to that the fact that is cased in black and this may just be the to be the new Budget King projector to get!

Here is the link to the HD131xe:

http://optomausa.com/products/detail/HD131Xe

and here is the link to the HD25e for comparison:

http://optomausa.com/products/detail/HD25e

Let the discussion begin!

See less See more
Reactions: Miwo
#2,352 ·
#2,353 ·

#2,354 ·

Ok, that's odd, are you sure? Two pairs are what I expected and probably the bluetooth ones that came with the TV, the other seems to be IR only, doesn't make sense.

I did a bit more reading and it seems like Terry2 has tried something similar and found that a lot of glasses don't do 144hz, so 60i/p 3D is ok 24p is not! I did wonder about that. It's a shame if it's the case as I have access to 10 pairs of Panasonic bluetooth glasses for big parties so was planning to avoid the Optoma glasses and go straight to bluetooth, making 12 pairs available for loans.

There's lots of 3D glasses compatibility threads on here and it seems terry2 is in most of them, sounds like he's been through a few combinations.

#2,355 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24410215

these guys think theirs should work
http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Bluetooth-Glasses-Emitter-projectors/dp/B00C5XAP50/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393403599&sr=1-16&keywords=bluetooth+3d+emitter

And there one success story in the HD33 thread with an IR emitter, also one failure story.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1354360/new-optoma-hd33-hd3300-1080p-3d-projector-review/5280

The main issue is to be sure exactly what glasses Mike has already, yeah it might not work but it should.
Yes, the projector uses a standard 3 pin vesa connector but the bluetooth emitter in your first link does not work. I know because I had one and after several days of working with a rep at 3DTV Corp I returned it. I tried the Xpand bluetooth emitter and glasses and they also will not work unless the source is 720p/60hz. I tried various other emitters including IR and same result. Where as most any of the 144hz DLP-Link glasses work you're pretty much screwed trying to use any other RF glasses/emitter but the Optoma, VIP or Estar. When Optoma went with the Bit Cauldron technology for 3D that severely limited what you can use for RF. I guess it's possible one of these other 3D companies have found a way to make their stuff work with the newer Optoma's but it's unlikely.

#2,356 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24410819

Yes, the projector uses a standard 3 pin vesa connector but the bluetooth emitter in your first link does not work. I know because I had one and after several days of working with a rep at 3DTV Corp I returned it. I tried the Xpand bluetooth emitter and glasses and they also will not work unless the source is 720p/60hz. I tried various other emitters including IR and same result. Where as most any of the 144hz DLP-Link glasses work you're pretty much screwed trying to use any other RF glasses/emitter but the Optoma, VIP or Estar. When Optoma went with the Bit Cauldron technology for 3D that severely limited what you can use for RF. I guess it's possible one of these other 3D companies have found a way to make their stuff work with the newer Optoma's but it's unlikely.

Thanks, looks like you've been through the process I was expecting to wade into soon and saved Mike doing it too.

Usual lousy timing with the Full HD 3D glasses standard, standardised before 144hz became common! I always got the feeling that the Monster/Optoma RF system was better suited to the task than bluetooth just wanting to use the existing loan base of Panasonic glasses seemed a sensible thing to investigate.

#2,358 ·
If you currently have 3D glasses that max out at 120hz and you're not yet ready to purchase 144hz glasses, you can force the projector to display Blu-ray movies at 120hz instead of 144hz if you have either a home theater PC that supports Blu-ray or an Optoma 3D-XL box (or equivalent).

On the PC you would set the resolution to 1080P@60hz for 2D material or to 720P@60hz for 3D material. (1080P@60hz is not part of the 3D specification for HDMI 1.4a.) The projector displays 60hz input at 120hz.

Unfortunately, you can't do this trick by simply changing the output resolution setting on your standalone Blu-ray player. It requires computing muscle to do these source conversions.

I know that this trick works because I used my Optoma 3D-XL box (part of my previous 3D setup with a 720P Optoma HD66) to watch 3D Blu-rays on my Optoma HD25-LV while I was eagerly awaiting my new 144hz 3D glasses.

As you might guess, I would still encourage owners of this projector to upgrade to 144hz glasses when they can. The 144hz display reduces flicker, eliminates motion judder, and you won't take a resolution hit on 3D.

While I'm making recommendations, I'll add that I'm a convert to RF glasses over DLP-Link. I got a great deal on the Optoma ZF2100 glasses, but they're usually $75 or thereabouts, so you might want to go for the EStar ESG6000 glasses since they are less expensive. I hear that they are excellent (perhaps the same as the Optomas). The EStar RF emitter is also less costly than the Optoma emitter.

#2,359 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24422432

While I'm making recommendations, I'll add that I'm a convert to RF glasses over DLP-Link. I got a great deal on the Optoma ZF2100 glasses, but they're usually $75 or thereabouts, so you might want to go for the EStar ESG6000 glasses since they are less expensive. I hear that they are excellent (perhaps the same as the Optomas). The EStar RF emitter is also less costly than the Optoma emitter.
As someone who has not purchased any 3D glasses, I'm very curious to know why you switched to RF glasses. Do you mind sharing why you made the switch?

#2,361 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24422826

Oh man it's been over a week and I haven't received projector back from optoma and the service center is only 45 minutes away. So sad.

shipping is normally quoted as 5-7 days each way from a shipping standpoint. Then labor time to fix it.

I would not expect it to be the norm for everyone to recieve back the same week

#2,362 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24422432

If you currently have 3D glasses that max out at 120hz and you're not yet ready to purchase 144hz glasses, you can force the projector to display Blu-ray movies at 120hz instead of 144hz if you have either a home theater PC that supports Blu-ray or an Optoma 3D-XL box (or equivalent).

On the PC you would set the resolution to 1080P@60hz for 2D material or to 720P@60hz for 3D material. (1080P@60hz is not part of the 3D specification for HDMI 1.4a.) The projector displays 60hz input at 120hz.

Unfortunately, you can't do this trick by simply changing the output resolution setting on your standalone Blu-ray player. It requires computing muscle to do these source conversions.

I know that this trick works because I used my Optoma 3D-XL box (part of my previous 3D setup with a 720P Optoma HD66) to watch 3D Blu-rays on my Optoma HD25-LV while I was eagerly awaiting my new 144hz 3D glasses.

As you might guess, I would still encourage owners of this projector to upgrade to 144hz glasses when they can. The 144hz display reduces flicker, eliminates motion judder, and you won't take a resolution hit on 3D.

ok so what glasses do you recommend?

#2,363 ·
Last time I had it back in the same week. Just anxious is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24422919

shipping is normally quoted as 5-7 days each way from a shipping standpoint. Then labor time to fix it.

I would not expect it to be the norm for everyone to recieve back the same week

#2,364 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldon  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24422472

As someone who has not purchased any 3D glasses, I'm very curious to know why you switched to RF glasses. Do you mind sharing why you made the switch?

I had read elsewhere that black levels, shadow detail, and contrast were better with RF glasses, and I agree. But the biggest reason why I prefer RF glasses is that they never lose sync. I had noticed long ago that there were scenes in some movies (TANGLED for one) where a sudden cut from a darker scene to a very bright scene would cause my old DLP-Link glasses to lose sync. There's even one brief scene in that Imax "Mummies" documentary that never synced up no matter how many times I played it. There are no sync problems whatsoever with RF glasses.

Another advantage, albeit a modest one, is that somehow the combination of the projector / emitter / glasses "knows" the left-eye right-eye cadence and always displays the image in the appropriate polarity. In other words, I have yet to switch the 3D sync invert option in order to eliminate "reverse 3D." I frequently had to do this with DLP-Link glasses, although it wasn't difficult to do so, and it was (usually) a one-time adjustment at the start of the movie. (Occasionally, if I would pause a movie and then play it, the cadence would be off again.)

Each one of these advantages is a modest one, but all together they add up to what is for me a "seamless" 3D experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeclough24 

ok so what glasses do you recommend?

Either the Optoma ZF2100 glassess or the EStar ESG6000 glasses that I mentioned in my previous post. I can vouch for the quality and comfort of the Optoma glasses, but I can understand why someone would instead go with the EStars. Many have said that the EStars are (or almost are) identical to the Optomas, and the EStars are considerably cheaper.

#2,365 ·
Has anyone experienced much ghosting with this PJ? I seem to be getting some and I'm wondering if there is something I c can do to minimize it.

#2,367 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24434727

RMA just arrived today. Now I feel to lazy to put it up again. Hopefully it's fixed properly this time. Customer service is very good.

Top Notch service. Double check offset, my was totally screwed up after fixing focus issues. I'm currently getting direct swap with Optoma for a new one.

#2,369 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198four  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24437906

Has anyone upgraded their HD131xe to the HD25e firmware or the latest firmware? I got this projector today and wondering if its worth upgrading the firmware? what issues are addressed in the latest firmware?

I am in the " if its not broke, dont fix it" crowd.

If you dont have any problems and dont know what it fixes, why bother?

#2,370 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24438227

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24438227

Yep, thats my attitude too. Mine is working perfect so why mess with it.

#2,371 ·

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2340#post_24438270

Yep, thats my attitude too. Mine is working perfect so why mess with it.

I am still well within the return period so if firmware messes up the projector i can return it. I heard the latest firmware fixes issues with handshake/compatibility. I also heard that you can install HD25e firmware on it which pretty much turns this into an HD25e? any truth to any of thaT?

#2,372 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198four  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2370#post_24438332

I also heard that you can install HD25e firmware on it which pretty much turns this into an HD25e? any truth to any of thaT?

From the small period I owned the HD30, I remember that somewhere in the menu (maybe the hidden system menu) there was a reference to the HD25 firmware. After googling, I found out that all these models share the same firmware as they are clones of the HD25 model. One includes 3d glasses, other has speakers onboard with SRS, etc.

#2,373 ·
Hey everyone. I have a basement that's about 28'. I wanted to get a 125" diagnoal image out of my HD131xe and i installed it at about 25ft distance. But according to Projector central calculator, you only have to install it at 10' to get that big of an image? How's that possible? I will get same size image if i move it to 10' from 25' away? !

#2,375 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redogfizbal  /t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-...or-sub-800-new-budget-king/2370#post_24442260

It has an adjustable throw ratio.

Can you explain what that is and how do you adjust it? And will i be able to install the projector at 10' and get the same size picture? Basically, what do i need to do to get that result? Sorry I am a n00b when it comes to this stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.