Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 2922 Old 09-11-2014, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post
I am using an Elite 100" spectrum screen. Works great.

I also went ahead and got the bluetooth emitter kit from 3-d corp and it works AWESOME! I didn't want to say anything until I won the auction in case other people bid on it and until I reviewed it. I got the kit for $99 and it comes with 2 pro 5 glasses. The 3-d compared to the dlp link is night and day. No crosstalk and they stay perfectly in sync. I highly recommend them. My wife has a hard time seeing 3-d but with this kit, she saw it right away and was blown away. Thanks B15nut for suggesting them!

As far as a mount, I bought a cheap universal one on Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I hated it as for setting it up but once that's done, it's fine. Took some work getting the legs right and I had to invert them but it stays put. If you don't need to adjust it often, I would just get a cheap one.
Thanks for the information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2922 Old 09-11-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameer View Post
Hi
I feel stupid! I filed RMA for my projector (due to uniformity and a flickering color) and got the RMA number in my email
But I don't know what to do with it Do I have to print it and put the label inside the box? Where to ship it? UPS or USPS? I'm under warranty, Do I have to pay for the round trip? Do I need to write optoma address or the RMA's number will be enough?
Didn't RMA before (I'm not from US but my friend there have my projector) so any detail will be helpful
just send that email to your friend he might know what to do..

but you can find the details here http://www.optomausa.com/support/rma/.

You are done till step 3.. just need to do step 4.. shipping address is in the pdf file which they send you from step 3... yes place the print out the pdf file inside the box....

while shipping out it is on us.. but after repair optoma will pay for shipping and send it back to us..

hope that helps..
ameer likes this.
post #2883 of 2922 Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I returned my projector (HD131xe) to optoma for unifromity issue & color flickering , they recieved it on 19 September , to this day still they did not fix it, talked to them by phone they said they waiting for a part << I supposed its a DMD chip and they don't know when it will arrive!!
I don't know what to do, Can I force them with another option? Is there a deadline for RMA service?
post #2884 of 2922 Old 10-15-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
All you can do is jump on them and tell them to either fix it in the next couple of days or send you a new one or even a refurbished one. These companies always have refurbished models.
post #2885 of 2922 Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I returned my projector (HD131xe) to optoma for unifromity issue & color flickering , they recieved it on 19 September , to this day still they did not fix it, talked to them by phone they said they waiting for a part << I supposed its a DMD chip and they don't know when it will arrive!!
I don't know what to do, Can I force them with another option? Is there a deadline for RMA service?
I had the same issue with their support, thankfully I had a spare projector (my old Mitsu) to hold me over. Was about 5 weeks from when I shipped it to when I got it back.
post #2886 of 2922 Old 10-24-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Tambling View Post
CIH - Constant Height Projection on the HD131xe using LBX or Letterbox mode and an anamorphic lens, my report.<br><br>
It would appear the HD131xe is an outstanding budget DLP projector. Coming from Sharp LCD flat screen, I'm more than impressed. Obviously, I'm not going to be watching much more than a ghosted image on a bright day because I have skylights and very little light control (although I'm working on that for some game day viewing, but my main use for this projector was always movies at night... although it could be anything at night, you gamers, etc...).<br><br>
HOWEVER, on a CIH setup, using a 2.35 horizontal expansion HE lens (in this case the Panamorph UH480), I was hoping the LBX (letterbox) feature on the HD131xe would vertically stretch JUST the black bars off the screen, then the lens expand it back to correct proportions (with some margin of error expected due to small variances in 2.35-2.4:1, even though I still do not know what to believe if this is just nomenclature and not an actual difference in aspect ratio). Anyway, there have been reported issues and I absolutely can report that it is too aggressive with its vertical stretch. In LBX mode with the correct lens, you get top and bottom cropping. Most people wishing to do constant height (CIH), this is unacceptable. I still think the projector is a good deal, but it is unfortunate I chose this projector for a CIH setup, this function is marketed as a feature, and works poorly for that purpose.<br><br>
I did just try and firmware update from the Optoma USA website, going from 03 firmware that came with the projector to 04 firmware which was from this last September (2013). On another forum where they were arguing the firmware difference between the HD25e and the HD131xe, someone mentioned this CIH problem and that it was resolved by a firmware update. Well, it is not. Tops of people's heads are still chopped off along with bottom of screen. There are no manual adjustments for this, other than you can vertically and horizontally pan using one of the settings, so you can see how much image you're losing.<br><br>
So very disappointed. I'm also disappointed that Optoma didn't respond to my first two support inquiries ever from their company (being a new customer). Not a very good start, but still a lot of bang for the buck on it's most standard projection capability.
With the LBX feature overstretch fixed, am I correct in thinking it does a vertical-only 1.33 stretch to expand a 2.35 bluray to fill the chip and an anamorphic lens can expand to 2.35 ?

I used to do this with YXY software when using PowerDVD on an HTPC, but a projector with this function -- if it did quality scaling -- would be simpler than going back to HTPC.

I also notice there is no "LBX" button on the HD141X remote (unless 'Aspect Ratio' is just renaming it), so if it works well on the HD131XE and doesn't exist on the HD141X, that is kind of an important purchasing decision.

Can someone confirm or deny these points ?

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #2887 of 2922 Old 10-24-2014, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
So I have been going back and forth between the Benq w1070 and Optoma HD131XE. This will be my first purchase and not a HUGE movie fan just looking to setup in my media room for cool night with family and freinds so for 150 dollars less is the HD131XE worth it and motor screen suggestions..PLease

Also The throw distance I have a bigger room am I reading correct if I put this 14 feet back on the ceiling I will get a 120 picture.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

thank you luv this forum since I can't go to a store and look at these models
post #2888 of 2922 Old 10-24-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat-tv View Post
So I have been going back and forth between the Benq w1070 and Optoma HD131XE. This will be my first purchase and not a HUGE movie fan just looking to setup in my media room for cool night with family and freinds so for 150 dollars less is the HD131XE worth it and motor screen suggestions..PLease

Also The throw distance I have a bigger room am I reading correct if I put this 14 feet back on the ceiling I will get a 120 picture.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

thank you luv this forum since I can't go to a store and look at these models
The zoom slider to the left shows the range of distances, because the HD131xe does have a zoom lens. For 120" screen, the projector lens must be between 13' 1" and 15' 8".

Kirk Ellis
post #2889 of 2922 Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 PM

I am somewhat confused at 13'1 inches back is say 110 inch screen. Not sure If I understand this throw distance chart correctly.

13'1 inch back 9 inch from the ceiling must meet the top of the screen "in my case because of fan 23 inches"
post #2890 of 2922 Old 10-25-2014, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Move the Zoom slider control up and down and you'll see the image size does not change. This means that the zoom lens can compensate for various distances to the screen without changing the image size.

The lens needs to be 9" above the top edge of the screen and mounted upside down.

Kirk Ellis
post #2891 of 2922 Old 10-25-2014, 03:22 PM

So I mount the Projector upside down 15'9" back to get 120 screen. My Fan is 13 inches down from the ceiling.
My wall is 20 foot by 9 foot actual size is 107 inches

9+13= 22 inhes is where the top of the screen must start

22+59=81

107-81=26 So 26
With this math if I am correct "please correct me if I am wrong" My tv stand can't be bigger 26 in high.

Pleaset let me if I am correct with these number So I can buy now.. I don't think I can wait anymore...LOL

2tv stands I am looking both are under 20 inches high
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141025_171447319.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	330537   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv_stand2.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	330545   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv_stand.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	330553  

Last edited by sat-tv; 10-25-2014 at 03:31 PM.
post #2892 of 2922 Old 10-25-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So I mount the Projector upside down 15'9" back to get 120 screen. My Fan is 13 inches down from the ceiling.
My wall is 20 foot by 9 foot actual size is 107 inches

9+13= 22 inhes is where the top of the screen must start

22+59=81

107-81=26 So 26
With this math if I am correct "please correct me if I am wrong" My tv stand can't be bigger 26 in high.

Pleaset let me if I am correct with these number So I can buy now.. I don't think I can wait anymore...LOL

2tv stands I am looking both are under 20 inches high
Obviously you don't want the fan blades to strike the projector or the mounting pole, so how close is the tip of the fan blade to the wall and how far away is the tip on the other side of the fan ?

The HD131xe can go anywhere within the range of 13' 1" to 15' 9", so if your fan BLADES don't allow mounting in that zone, then it has to go, or you need think about a larger screen -- which would let the projector be mounted further back -- or floor mounting it underneath an ottoman or coffee table. You want the projector as close to the 13' end of its range as possible to maximize brightness. If 14' clears the fan blades, then that would be best, as that is where the down pole of the mount would be.

Motorized screens are only good if they are tab-tensioned, which makes them fairly expensive. Otherwise they will not stay flat over time, but will develop curled edges and waviness. Some motorized screens have significant black spaces above or below the screen so you need to be sure that it will not hang down far enough to hit your "TV Stand". What screen have you picked? Anything under the screen should have a non-reflective surface or else light from the screen will glare off it pretty badly. Even the glass one would work, but it would need a black velvet "table cloth" which might make it less appealing to you.
Ftoast likes this.

Kirk Ellis
post #2893 of 2922 Old 10-25-2014, 09:59 PM

Very good information. The fan blade ends at 12 foot 1 inch.....So I can mount this 13.1 back and that would be perfect.

I haven't picked out a screen yet. I am not going to do tension however if we really like the home theater and use it I will go for in a few years.

This is my first setup and never seen one in person so I am somewhat hesitated to spend alot of money on it.

2 screens I have been looking at are
This is white but good price
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-.../dp/B000Q87LM6

option 2 cheaper but higher
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120-inches-E...item3ce9955d3d

Not sure what to look for in a screen black gray and gain

Last edited by sat-tv; 10-25-2014 at 10:25 PM.
post #2894 of 2922 Old 10-25-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The Elite white 1.1 gain screen is a good start. Its 125" diagonal means the projector mounts back 6" further away from the fan which is good. I hope you are going to paint the room a fairly dark flat paint color.

Kirk Ellis
post #2895 of 2922 Old 10-26-2014, 06:54 AM

No I wasn't planning on painting my room a darker color. I hope that isn't going to be to big of a issue. I will only be watching movies at night Most likely.

How about this one this has grey which I am reading is better for the picture
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Antra-11...item5656334ed3
post #2896 of 2922 Old 10-26-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

A projector can't make grey look white. The eye can be fooled only if there is nothing truly white around you. If your ceiling is white, the whitest objects in the movie will appear grey in comparison.

I'm not a fan of grey.

Kirk Ellis
post #2897 of 2922 Old 10-28-2014, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyingkiwi View Post
Hello Freinds, I am Anil from India and just joined AVS after purchasing this projector.

Now looks like I have messed few settings in the projector while watching a 3d (SBS) movie every thing was rok but now I m not seeing 3d just normal 2 videos running side by side , even the 3d menu is not available nothing happens if I press the 3d button the remote, what should I do?
I have tried reseting the PJ but no luck, was playing 3d movie with my laptop

Please see if you guys can help me with this issue
Your projector is fine. This is normal behavior when playing 3D rips that are in sbs format (Side-by-Side). These rips are encoded where the stereo images are displayed side by side. In order to enable 3D viewing, you have to be sure that firstly, your graphics card has HDMI 1.4 output. Secondly, you have to then go into your projector MENU>Display Tab>3D>3D Format>Change from AUTO to SBS.

And then, Viola!

You don't need any special player for 3D rips. I am using XBMC and sometimes WMP Classic. Just be sure you are in full screen before you enable SBS 3D in your projector because the Windows UI has no support for navigating in 3D (at least in W7 that I am using).

Last edited by niggenz; 10-28-2014 at 01:29 AM.
post #2898 of 2922 Old 10-28-2014, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
No I wasn't planning on painting my room a darker color. I hope that isn't going to be to big of a issue. I will only be watching movies at night Most likely.

How about this one this has grey which I am reading is better for the picture
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Antra-11...item5656334ed3
I'd advocate at least painting the wall you are projecting to a darker shade. Makes a huge difference.
post #2899 of 2922 Old 10-28-2014, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
can someone please suggest a good ceiling mount for this projector

TIA
Using this one. Since there is no lens shift with this projector, this mount allows some flexibility to shift up/down/side/side if your measurements aren't precise.
post #2900 of 2922 Old 10-28-2014, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggenz View Post
Using this one. Since there is no lens shift with this projector, this mount allows some flexibility to shift up/down/side/side if your measurements aren't precise.
That is a ton of adjustment on that mount !

BTW, Niggenz do you still maintain that your HD131xe black levels and depth were much better than on your W1070 ? I think I am like you in that these are more important characteristics to me than absolute color accuracy. If the alternative is a W1070 that is "lifeless" due to lack of image depth, the HD131xe or HD141x might be more my speed. Although I still have no idea if I am RBE sensitive. I am looking for a second projector so I don't put all my TV watching on my JVC.

Kirk Ellis
post #2901 of 2922 Old 10-28-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
That is a ton of adjustment on that mount !

BTW, Niggenz do you still maintain that your HD131xe black levels and depth were much better than on your W1070 ? I think I am like you in that these are more important characteristics to me than absolute color accuracy. If the alternative is a W1070 that is "lifeless" due to lack of image depth, the HD131xe or HD141x might be more my speed. Although I still have no idea if I am RBE sensitive. I am looking for a second projector so I don't put all my TV watching on my JVC.
Actually, more than ever now.

I have had the HD131Xe for over a year now. I owned the W1070 long ago and have forgotten about it and am reticent to being a happy HD131Xe owner. Sometimes, I read the W1070 thread and wonder what these guys did with all the extra ISF/gamma adjustments to get them to rave about the W1070 that I didn't do when I had it. But there is nothing. I did all the same tricks they did when I had it. Image still lacked depth and was flat.

Funny thing is I met a neighbor a few blocks away that picked up the W1070 some time ago. We haven't done a shoot out or anything (our projectors are mounted so it would be a pain), but we have demo'ed each others projectors at our homes. He says the same thing, HD131Xe image has more dimension and is more pleasing. He said he preferred the image of the Optoma over the W1070 because of that. His screen is 120" and mine is 125" diagonal. But his room dimensions won't work for the HD131Xe. He's actually really pissed off ever since he came by. Which I find funny.

Last edited by niggenz; 10-28-2014 at 05:31 AM.
post #2902 of 2922 Old 10-28-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just realized you have a JVC DLA-RS1. I hear those are legendary. I hope you aren't too disappointed.
post #2903 of 2922 Old 10-28-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggenz View Post
Just realized you have a JVC DLA-RS1. I hear those are legendary. I hope you aren't too disappointed.
I am very happy with the RS1, but it really needs a dark room and I like to browse the web while watching TV. Just enough spot light to see the keyboard and the relative brightness of the monitor make the RS1 seem dim in comparison. I'm hoping a second, brighter, projector for TV will fix that. Not to mention that on a per-hour basis, the RS1 lamps cost about 3x as much as Optoma or Benq lamps.

I am also planning on building a 2.4 138" screen to hang in front of my 122" 16:9 just to use when I have a scope movie to watch, and the JVC will come up short of lumens even with no ambient light.

Kirk Ellis
post #2904 of 2922 Old 11-06-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Remember that color-accuracy isn't the only visual difference between the 1070 and the 131, and the main advantage of the 131 (high black&white contrast when brilliantcolor is set high) comes with caveats.
The interscene contrast and gamma are what gives that nice natural 3D look which keeps the image from looking flat. The 131 with brilliantcolor set really low has a contrast ratio around 700:1 while setting BC really high can increase the black&white contrast all the way up to about 1800:1 which is excellent and totally on-par with a professional cinema 3chip DLP. However, the higher you boost brilliantcolor, not only do colors become unbalanced but there can be a noticeable increase in pixelation, false grain, and banding. The trick is finding a setting somewhere in the middle where you can enjoy a nice contrast boost but don't have enough inaccuracies, grain, or banding to be bothered by any of it.

The 1070 with BC set off has a contrast ratio around 1400:1 while turning BC on (it only goes on/off) will increase contrast up near 1700:1. The BC setting on the 1070 doesn't add artifacts but it does cause colors to become less properly balanced so the contrast increase still comes at a price and it won't quite match the 131 for black&white contrast. It will beat the 131 by about 2X with full-color contrast but that won't be as noticeable during very dark scenes.

In dark scenes, the 131 is capable of a contrast advantage over the 1070 as long as brilliantcolor is set high. With more colorful content or when brilliantcolor is set lower, the 1070 will have a contrast advantage over the 131.

The 131 will always have a fan-noise and price advantage over the 1070. The 1070 will always have a video-artifact, brightess and color-accuracy advantage over the 131.

Both projectors also feature intelligent lamp-dimming as well as several gamma presets that can both be used to increase the sense of image-depth for 2D video. I don't personally care for the lamp-dimming on either model as the 131's caused mono-blocking and some posterization while the 1070's flickered during certain scenes and cranks the fan-noise up loud. I favored the 1070's gamma settings as they were more plentiful and in smaller graduations, but the 131 has at least one smooth, accurate preset and one brighter yet not garish preset..and both projectors offered a harsh looking "S"/"graphic" gamma setting for those that prefer that kind of look.
For bright lit rooms or for increased perception of contrast during dark scenes, turning the 131's gamma to "video" or the 1070's gamma to 2.0 can provide a nice boost.

Older or non-updated w1070's aren't as accurate out-of-the-box as new ones or those running one of the last two firmware versions.
Either projector should have its brightness and then contrast set properly by eye before making any real judgements. If you or someone you know is complaining about video looking too shiny, overexposed, dark, or flat..setting brightness then contrast only takes half a minute. Be good to your friend or good to yourself.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-06-2014 at 07:35 PM.
post #2905 of 2922 Old 11-09-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I had sent my projector back to them in August to fix some greyscale uniformity issues and just received word that it had been fixed and is being shipped back. I'm a little confused at what was fixed however. I spoke to an Optima rep who mentioned they needed to replace the main board. However the RMA status tracker reports that they replaced parts for CHROMATIC ABERRATION (IMPURITY) and an issue with the speaker (which I have no idea if the speaker even worked as I keep it turned off all the time). If I recall, there was minor chromatic aberration, but I just thought that was a natural byproduct.
post #2906 of 2922 Old 11-09-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ordered Today

I pulled the trigger today on the 131xe. Amazon has open box for $414, I have read everything I could find and might of went with the Benq but throw was a problem. Also the price was very good.

I will be replacing an Infocus X9 720p. It is mounted to a 9' ceiling and I have a fixed 100" screen. Can't wait to set it up!
post #2907 of 2922 Old 11-09-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeadows1 View Post
I pulled the trigger today on the 131xe. Amazon has open box for $414, I have read everything I could find and might of went with the Benq but throw was a problem. Also the price was very good.

I will be replacing an Infocus X9 720p. It is mounted to a 9' ceiling and I have a fixed 100" screen. Can't wait to set it up!
$414 is a heck of a deal ! It wouldn't fit my throw, but I would have been tempted anyway.

Kirk Ellis
post #2908 of 2922 Old 11-09-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Guys,

Don't blindly believe the comments about how superior the Benq is over this PJ. Many of them should be treated like "sounds like a broken record"

Blu-ray : 340
post #2909 of 2922 Old 11-09-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
Guys,

Don't blindly believe the comments about how superior the Benq is over this PJ. Many of them should be treated like "sounds like a broken record"
It isn't just a matter of opinion.

Objectively, by all instrumented measurements, the Benq is better at color accuracy and brightness while maintaining accurate color. That is not just somebody's opinion, it is measured fact.

The 131xe is slightly better in blacks and contrast, which can make it seem to have more depth. That is also fact. Measured by objective equipment.

It is any particular person's PREFERENCE which of these attributes matter more to them.

I would choose the 131xe, but I don't have enough throw distance for it to fill my new 148" screen, while the W1070 would allow a 180" screen from my throw if I wanted.

Kirk Ellis
post #2910 of 2922 Old 11-09-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I am aware of all that but the problem is the same comments being echoed by the same Benq patrons again and again in almost every thread.

Blu-ray : 340
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page