Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 98 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2911 of 2922 Old 11-10-2014, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I felt that also when reading over so many reviews. There seems to be Benq fanboys and they perceive everything else to be inferior. I was simply trying to make the best overall decision for my situation and with teens on xbox, family on Blu-ray and Roku and HD sports I hope this works for me.
lgans316 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2922 Old 11-10-2014, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had picked up a Optoma HD70 with 45 hours and had only used it a couple months when I decided I would try out the Optoma HD131. I was so impressed with it that I put one in a local car clubs theater. They like me, are so very satisfied with this projector. They had 3 lens tube projectors before the HD131. I had Sony G70s in my home before the HD70. Sooner or later something better will come out for less or about the same price, but for now it is probably the most bang for the buck w/ 3D to boot. I like 3D and have 30+ 3D movies. I am 71 years old and I don't care if one might have a slight bit more or less of some gain on sharpness or gamma over another. I don't suffer from rainbows or none of that sort of problem, and a bit dimmer picture on 3D doesn't matter to me as I only watch them in a near dark room at night. Within normal viewing parameters the projector puts out a fine picture. I have noticed more problems with Blue ray DVD players and the movie quality themselves than with the projector. For a under $700 projector, it can't be beat. I don't live for perfection, I just like to enjoy the movies. I think that is what most of us want. JMHO
lgans316 and b15nut like this.

JCP
post #2913 of 2922 Old 11-10-2014, 08:42 AM

+1! Well said
post #2914 of 2922 Old 11-10-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
I am aware of all that but the problem is the same comments being echoed by the same Benq patrons again and again in almost every thread.
New people are always asking the same questions and apparently don't know how or are too lazy to search for answers already posted. Would you rather they just be told "This has already been answered ! Go do a search !" ?

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #2915 of 2922 Old 11-10-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Fair point but the scaremongering about color reproduction is OTT as if the PJ produces a completely different color. I have calibrated the colors by comparing it with my reference grade Panasonic Plasma and I would say it looks pretty damn good. The biggest selling point of this PJ is how quiet it is. It is placed next besides the couch on a wooden stand and is super quiet with Dynamic Black turned off.

Blu-ray : 340
post #2916 of 2922 Old 11-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For you guys wanting cheap 3D glasses look in the "found deals" section. RF glasses at DLP link prices.
post #2917 of 2922 Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 PM

My Hd131xe came in today! Got a new mount and will be installing this weekend. I am hoping for a nice upgrade.
post #2918 of 2922 Old 11-12-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeadows1 View Post
I felt that also when reading over so many reviews. There seems to be Benq fanboys and they perceive everything else to be inferior. I was simply trying to make the best overall decision for my situation and with teens on xbox, family on Blu-ray and Roku and HD sports I hope this works for me.
Quote:
My Hd131xe came in today! Got a new mount and will be installing this weekend. I am hoping for a nice upgrade.
Well put. W1070 had the advantage of being the first under $1000 3D 1080p projector. And it did a very good job at capturing business from users that have never experienced FP before. So you kind of have to temper their enthusiasm a bit and really look at it's actual merits. Glad you were able to recognize this and am looking forward to what you find with the HD131xe.

HTPC: Intel NUC (DC53427HYE) running OpenELEC/Win7 Dual Boot
Projector: Optoma HD131Xe
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
Screen: Elite Spectrum Electric 125"
Media Server: NAS4Free Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz
post #2919 of 2922 Old 11-15-2014, 02:49 PM

Hooked Up

I have my 131 temporarily hooked up, sitting on a box on the couch with an old HDMI going to my cable box. Wow It is on cinema and I have not attempted anything yet. Wanted to get the throw right. I have it 12'3" right now and it is filling my 100" screen, so my mount will move back a foot or so. Is it best to be in the middle of the zoom or back or front?

It's still afternoon and it is bright! Can't wait to see blu-ray after dark. What a deal for $414 + tax. I purchased my Infocus X9 in 3007 for $539 and have about 7000 hours on it. Bargains!!

I did not have a chance to look at a bunch of projectors but I did go to Best Buy last week. I watched the Epson 5030 and was just not impressed. I love my plasma upstairs and I just thought the Epson was dull to me and for $2000 more than this I don't get it. Not to smash the Epson but this, and 2 Marty Cubes and cash left over!

So far I am one very happy camper!
post #2920 of 2922 Old 11-15-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 183
dmeadows, besides possible lamp-hour brightness differences you're probably noticing a great feature of many inexpensive DLPs. Their contrast and brightness in fairly accurate settings are enough to tie or beat pretty much any LCD under $1800! The fact that it doesn't matter much where the particular DLP falls on the price scale and that the 131xe is one of the best looking non-RGB models certainly doesn't hurt, while even a little light in a bad-ish room will negate the high-end projectors contrast advantage.

The small amount of zoom on the 131 means it makes very little difference in brightness or sharpness and it's likely safest to aim for the middle of its range to make sure you're left with enough range to perfectly fill your screen once mounted.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #2921 of 2922 Old 11-18-2014, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I have my 131 temporarily hooked up, sitting on a box on the couch with an old HDMI going to my cable box. Wow It is on cinema and I have not attempted anything yet. Wanted to get the throw right. I have it 12'3" right now and it is filling my 100" screen, so my mount will move back a foot or so. Is it best to be in the middle of the zoom or back or front?

It's still afternoon and it is bright! Can't wait to see blu-ray after dark. What a deal for $414 + tax. I purchased my Infocus X9 in 3007 for $539 and have about 7000 hours on it. Bargains!!

I did not have a chance to look at a bunch of projectors but I did go to Best Buy last week. I watched the Epson 5030 and was just not impressed. I love my plasma upstairs and I just thought the Epson was dull to me and for $2000 more than this I don't get it. Not to smash the Epson but this, and 2 Marty Cubes and cash left over!

So far I am one very happy camper!
I haven't seen the Epson 5030, but I would never base a purchasing decision on how anything is displayed at Best Buy or Fry's Electronics. From what I can tell, they are utterly clueless on how to set up a projector. It would be a bloody miracle if the 5030 you saw was properly set up.

The old rule still holds: audition audio equipment, but buy displays based on independent reviews with objective instrumented numbers. Not only was the display in a store probably never set up correctly, but you never know what color-blind store clerk last messed with it.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #2922 of 2922 Old 11-18-2014, 06:21 AM

I have read too much good stuff about the 5030 and was so dissapointed, you are probably right and I have nave idea whether it was calibrated or not.

I did get my 131 up and watched football last 2 nights as well looking at some blu-ray scenes. I am very happy with my purchase.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page