Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 99 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #2941 of 2961 Old 12-21-2014, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
ahmadka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
A different brand of glasses could help too, but it's best to make sure it's not the projector's settings first.
A decent way to see if the glasses are part of the problem is to look at a very dark or black picture/scene. Even if the projector is set weird, that black should still look pretty black. If the glasses are passing a light they aren't supposed to be, then the black will have a noticeable green tint as well.

If blacks have a green tint, it's time to shop for a different brand of glasses.
Thanks for your input. I found some time to test out the suggestions to made, and the resulting output still looks green when viewed thru the glasses.

Note that in both examples below, like before, the green effect is a little more intensified than how it actually appears, but only by a small margin ..

Example #1 :

Without glasses (enabled 3D -> 2D option):



With glasses:



Example #2 (dark scene):

Without glasses:



With glasses:



Here are the settings I'm using:





ahmadka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2942 of 2961 Old 12-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
ahmadka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone please help me out with the above ?
ahmadka is offline  
post #2943 of 2961 Old 12-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
ahmadka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has this thread been relocated to the graveyard ?
ahmadka is offline  
post #2944 of 2961 Old 12-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Member
 
JCP1740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Conn.
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
Has this thread been relocated to the graveyard ?

You might find some decent color settings back at post 771 that might work for you.

JCP
JCP1740 is offline  
post #2945 of 2961 Old 12-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Member
 
Blindman0v0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Its just the nature of 3D at this point, it will be darker than 2D. And the contrast really suffers along with colors.
The industry just isn't ready for 3D yet. Going to need to be some improvements before it works very well. The next big step will be holographic 3D, that should be pretty nice.
3D is just like looking through a window at this point and I just don't find that all that entertaining.
Blindman0v0 is offline  
post #2946 of 2961 Old 12-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Member
 
JCP1740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Conn.
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post
Its just the nature of 3D at this point, it will be darker than 2D. And the contrast really suffers along with colors.
The industry just isn't ready for 3D yet. Going to need to be some improvements before it works very well. The next big step will be holographic 3D, that should be pretty nice.
3D is just like looking through a window at this point and I just don't find that all that entertaining.


The thing is that until they come up with a better system for 3D, we have what we have, and it is still better than 2D as far as I'm concerned. Also, I'm 71 and to wait for big time 3D in the future might just be too far down the road. I do find the brightness suffers just a bit, but in a near dark room, I see no real problems. Colors are fine and contrast is fine.

JCP
JCP1740 is offline  
post #2947 of 2961 Old 12-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Senior Member
 
ahmadka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP1740 View Post
You might find some decent color settings back at post 771 that might work for you.
Are those settings for 2D or 3D ? I can't tell. I really need the settings for 3D only as I only intend to use this projector for 3D (for 2D I have JVC RS-46).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post
Its just the nature of 3D at this point, it will be darker than 2D. And the contrast really suffers along with colors.
Although darkness is also a problem for me, my major concern is the 'greenish' tint that's visible when viewing 3D content through those EStar 3D glasses. I can't seem to get rid of that.

Although, I think everyone else here uses those same 3D glasses with this projector, so I'm not sure if the glasses are to be blamed.
ahmadka is offline  
post #2948 of 2961 Old 12-28-2014, 05:05 AM
Member
 
JCP1740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Conn.
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
Are those settings for 2D or 3D ? I can't tell. I really need the settings for 3D only as I only intend to use this projector for 3D (for 2D I have JVC RS-46).



Although darkness is also a problem for me, my major concern is the 'greenish' tint that's visible when viewing 3D content through those EStar 3D glasses. I can't seem to get rid of that.

Although, I think everyone else here uses those same 3D glasses with this projector, so I'm not sure if the glasses are to be blamed.
The setting work for both 2D and 3D. As for the glasses, many of us use Sainsonics, no green tint in them. I use the over the glasses type, Sainsonic Zodiac Model #28-010-904 and have no problems with color, of course they do darken the brightness a little, like all of them do, but in a near dark room I find that no problem. These glasses do not need the external emitter.

JCP
JCP1740 is offline  
post #2949 of 2961 Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 AM
Senior Member
 
ahmadka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP1740 View Post
The setting work for both 2D and 3D. As for the glasses, many of us use Sainsonics, no green tint in them. I use the over the glasses type, Sainsonic Zodiac Model #28-010-904 and have no problems with color, of course they do darken the brightness a little, like all of them do, but in a near dark room I find that no problem. These glasses do not need the external emitter.
Those are DLP-Link glasses, while I'm using RF .. I also went through the whole thread today (took several hours but I did it!), and it seems a couple of people did previously point out that the EStar 3D glasses tend to boost the green tint a little, but no remedy of any kind was offered at all, probably because I think very few people noticed the tint for some reason ..

Also, as all RF 3D glasses for this projector are made by the same parent company, getting a getting brand won't help .. So I'm now thinking if there's anything else I can do ..
ahmadka is offline  
post #2950 of 2961 Old 12-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
colofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: loveland,co
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed it a bit however the Brilliant color setting had the largest effect on the green tint. Turn it down and it got a lot better.
colofan is offline  
post #2951 of 2961 Old 12-31-2014, 08:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Mikeclough24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hey guys, I just moved and am trying to figure out my setup. Its looking like my only real option is putting the screen 14 inches from the lens. Is that just too close? The calculator says it is but what is the drawback? It says I will just barely get it to 120" and that is the size of my screen so that's ok and I assume it will be brighter too so that's good but why is it in the red(according to the optoma calculator).

Mike Clough #24
Mikeclough24 is offline  
post #2952 of 2961 Old 01-01-2015, 11:17 PM
Senior Member
 
fxrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I also struggled with too much green for weeks on end with my Optoma HD25-LV, tried dozens of combinations of settings, and at one point just gave up; no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of green skies in color movies. Then I decided to throw calibration to the winds and simply changed the default color temperature from Warm to the coolest setting. Everything looked vastly better and I had the blue skies I'd been missing. I have made a couple of very minor tweaks since then (boosted the contrast from the default a bit) but basically the 3D default settings were fine (other than the Warm color temperature). I also turned off Brilliant Color (I don't remember right now if the 3D default uses BC or not and it's late, so I'm not going to power up my projector to find out!). Hope this works for you.

To my surprise, I found that a black-and-white 3D movie such as CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON was a great test for my color settings. If the picture doesn't look black-and-white (too much blue or green or yellow), then fiddle with the 3D settings until it does. Be sure to have your 3D glasses on when experimenting since the ideal 3D picture will have a slight bluish tint to it in 2D only (meaning the double-image version you see without the glasses). Your yellow-tinted 3D glasses will compensate for the bluish tint that you will see in 2D when you remove the glasses.

Recent Optoma projectors allow two different saved settings, one for 2D and the other for 3D, so these adjustments shouldn't impact whatever 2D tweaks you may have already made. (I can't speak to 2D settings as I only use my Optoma projector for watching 3D; I use another, older projector, a Mitsubishi HD3800, for all of my 2D viewing.)

Last edited by fxrh; 01-01-2015 at 11:43 PM.
fxrh is offline  
post #2953 of 2961 Old 01-02-2015, 10:47 PM
Senior Member
 
ahmadka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post
I also struggled with too much green for weeks on end with my Optoma HD25-LV, tried dozens of combinations of settings, and at one point just gave up; no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of green skies in color movies. Then I decided to throw calibration to the winds and simply changed the default color temperature from Warm to the coolest setting. Everything looked vastly better and I had the blue skies I'd been missing. I have made a couple of very minor tweaks since then (boosted the contrast from the default a bit) but basically the 3D default settings were fine (other than the Warm color temperature). I also turned off Brilliant Color (I don't remember right now if the 3D default uses BC or not and it's late, so I'm not going to power up my projector to find out!). Hope this works for you.

To my surprise, I found that a black-and-white 3D movie such as CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON was a great test for my color settings. If the picture doesn't look black-and-white (too much blue or green or yellow), then fiddle with the 3D settings until it does. Be sure to have your 3D glasses on when experimenting since the ideal 3D picture will have a slight bluish tint to it in 2D only (meaning the double-image version you see without the glasses). Your yellow-tinted 3D glasses will compensate for the bluish tint that you will see in 2D when you remove the glasses.

Recent Optoma projectors allow two different saved settings, one for 2D and the other for 3D, so these adjustments shouldn't impact whatever 2D tweaks you may have already made. (I can't speak to 2D settings as I only use my Optoma projector for watching 3D; I use another, older projector, a Mitsubishi HD3800, for all of my 2D viewing.)
I think I tried different color temperatures already, but to make sure I'll give it a go again ..

However, the thing which bothers me is that the green tint is only there when I view thru the glasses .. If I just straight up look at the 3D picture without the glasses, the colors seem fine .. This is why I personally feel that maybe the glasses are at fault ? However, that being said, everyone seems to be using the same glasses I have in this thread, and this hasn't been any major issue for 95% of the people here .. :/
ahmadka is offline  
post #2954 of 2961 Old 01-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Senior Member
 
hyperactiveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Im officially stick of adjusting my monoprice mount every week. Anyone have a solid they can recommend. I've just this one for 3 years and it's time to put it away
hyperactiveme is online now  
post #2955 of 2961 Old 01-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
 
hyperactiveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
Can someone please help me out with the above ?
when watching 3d I'm in 3d mode not user.

I have brightness up to 4 and brilliant color at 7.

Seems to work for me. I'm using the estar 6 series rf glasses too.
hyperactiveme is online now  
post #2956 of 2961 Old 02-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Birddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this still a good PJ to own (I own one), or is it obsolete? If obsolete, replace it with what?
Birddoggin is offline  
post #2957 of 2961 Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Member
 
ygrene321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is still an awesome projector!
The Dell 3200mp I had (circa 2003) was a trooper but in all reality it needed retiring many years ago. So in the market for an up to date 1080p/3D projector theOptoma HD131Xe keep coming up in conversation. Ive had mine since late 2013 and it was the hot bargain at that time. Real decent blacks and I liked the 3D. Quiet too.

I haven't payed too much attention to what's out at the moment though. Mhl on the new hd141xe I think.

HT: Energy RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-50s, RC-R,
4 UM-18 11cu ported
Elite Screens 135'' Sable
Music: RC-70s, S8.3 sub
Office:CB-20s, RC-LCR, CB-10s
ygrene321 is offline  
post #2958 of 2961 Old 02-12-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,861
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post
Is this still a good PJ to own (I own one), or is it obsolete? If obsolete, replace it with what?
The only way any decent DLP will become obsolete is one of two ways:
They stop making replacement lamps when you need one.
You have $2000 saved up for something like the Sony hw40.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is offline  
post #2959 of 2961 Old 02-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Member
 
Blindman0v0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
All projectors become obsolete within 18 months. Doesn't mean they're not great projectors. Its just that the industry is changing that fast. Its like cellphones. Doesn't mean you need a new one, just means there's new stuff out there.
Blindman0v0 is offline  
post #2960 of 2961 Old 03-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Newbie
 
rural scribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Laramie, WY
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post
Im officially stick of adjusting my monoprice mount every week. Anyone have a solid they can recommend. I've just this one for 3 years and it's time to put it away
I'm using a cheap eHotCafe PRB-717-BLK mount (also sold under the brand name QualGear). It is a pain to install, being a universal type mount that comes with many adjustable parts, but it is rock solid.

I was able to use four machine screws (three hex-head and one larger-diameter slot-head) to attach it to my Optoma HD25e, even though only three (tiny) screw sockets on the projector are probably meant for this purpose. Because this mount is universal, I was able to align it in such a way as to make use of the extra, larger screw socket on the projector, plus the regular three screw sockets.

I've included a picture of one that looks like the one I've got from the eHotCafe web site.

I'm using this on an Optoma HD25e projector, which could have a different mounting layout than what you've got.

One thing about this mount. I have to remove the mount completely from the projector if I need to change the lamp.

Also, I had to buy the three hex-head screws (about 50 cents total) at the local Ace Hardware stores, since the screws that come with the mount don't fit. The size of the mounting screws should be specified in the Optoma owner's manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41D2S+GYTsL._SS470_.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	633633  

Last edited by rural scribe; 03-29-2015 at 11:32 AM.
rural scribe is offline  
post #2961 of 2961 Unread Today, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
 
hyperactiveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That looks like it will do the job. Thanks
hyperactiveme is online now  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - Hd131xe by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off