Optoma HD131Xe, HD (1080p), 2500 ANSI Lumens, 3D-Home Theater Projector - Sub $800 New Budget King? - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2941 of 2968 Old 12-21-2014, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
A different brand of glasses could help too, but it's best to make sure it's not the projector's settings first.
A decent way to see if the glasses are part of the problem is to look at a very dark or black picture/scene. Even if the projector is set weird, that black should still look pretty black. If the glasses are passing a light they aren't supposed to be, then the black will have a noticeable green tint as well.

If blacks have a green tint, it's time to shop for a different brand of glasses.
Thanks for your input. I found some time to test out the suggestions to made, and the resulting output still looks green when viewed thru the glasses.

Note that in both examples below, like before, the green effect is a little more intensified than how it actually appears, but only by a small margin ..

Example #1 :

Without glasses (enabled 3D -> 2D option):

With glasses:

Example #2 (dark scene):

Without glasses:

With glasses:

Here are the settings I'm using:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 2968 Old 12-24-2014, 11:03 AM

Can someone please help me out with the above ?
post #2943 of 2968 Old 12-27-2014, 09:54 AM

Has this thread been relocated to the graveyard ?
post #2944 of 2968 Old 12-27-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
Has this thread been relocated to the graveyard ?

You might find some decent color settings back at post 771 that might work for you.

JCP
post #2945 of 2968 Old 12-27-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Its just the nature of 3D at this point, it will be darker than 2D. And the contrast really suffers along with colors.
The industry just isn't ready for 3D yet. Going to need to be some improvements before it works very well. The next big step will be holographic 3D, that should be pretty nice.
3D is just like looking through a window at this point and I just don't find that all that entertaining.
post #2946 of 2968 Old 12-27-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post
Its just the nature of 3D at this point, it will be darker than 2D. And the contrast really suffers along with colors.
The industry just isn't ready for 3D yet. Going to need to be some improvements before it works very well. The next big step will be holographic 3D, that should be pretty nice.
3D is just like looking through a window at this point and I just don't find that all that entertaining.

The thing is that until they come up with a better system for 3D, we have what we have, and it is still better than 2D as far as I'm concerned. Also, I'm 71 and to wait for big time 3D in the future might just be too far down the road. I do find the brightness suffers just a bit, but in a near dark room, I see no real problems. Colors are fine and contrast is fine.

JCP
post #2947 of 2968 Old 12-27-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP1740 View Post
You might find some decent color settings back at post 771 that might work for you.
Are those settings for 2D or 3D ? I can't tell. I really need the settings for 3D only as I only intend to use this projector for 3D (for 2D I have JVC RS-46).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post
Although darkness is also a problem for me, my major concern is the 'greenish' tint that's visible when viewing 3D content through those EStar 3D glasses. I can't seem to get rid of that.

Although, I think everyone else here uses those same 3D glasses with this projector, so I'm not sure if the glasses are to be blamed.
post #2948 of 2968 Old 12-28-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Are those settings for 2D or 3D ? I can't tell. I really need the settings for 3D only as I only intend to use this projector for 3D (for 2D I have JVC RS-46).

Although darkness is also a problem for me, my major concern is the 'greenish' tint that's visible when viewing 3D content through those EStar 3D glasses. I can't seem to get rid of that.

Although, I think everyone else here uses those same 3D glasses with this projector, so I'm not sure if the glasses are to be blamed.
The setting work for both 2D and 3D. As for the glasses, many of us use Sainsonics, no green tint in them. I use the over the glasses type, Sainsonic Zodiac Model #28-010-904 and have no problems with color, of course they do darken the brightness a little, like all of them do, but in a near dark room I find that no problem. These glasses do not need the external emitter.

JCP
post #2949 of 2968 Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP1740 View Post
The setting work for both 2D and 3D. As for the glasses, many of us use Sainsonics, no green tint in them. I use the over the glasses type, Sainsonic Zodiac Model #28-010-904 and have no problems with color, of course they do darken the brightness a little, like all of them do, but in a near dark room I find that no problem. These glasses do not need the external emitter.
Those are DLP-Link glasses, while I'm using RF .. I also went through the whole thread today (took several hours but I did it!), and it seems a couple of people did previously point out that the EStar 3D glasses tend to boost the green tint a little, but no remedy of any kind was offered at all, probably because I think very few people noticed the tint for some reason ..

Also, as all RF 3D glasses for this projector are made by the same parent company, getting a getting brand won't help .. So I'm now thinking if there's anything else I can do ..
post #2950 of 2968 Old 12-30-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed it a bit however the Brilliant color setting had the largest effect on the green tint. Turn it down and it got a lot better.
post #2951 of 2968 Old 12-31-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hey guys, I just moved and am trying to figure out my setup. Its looking like my only real option is putting the screen 14 inches from the lens. Is that just too close? The calculator says it is but what is the drawback? It says I will just barely get it to 120" and that is the size of my screen so that's ok and I assume it will be brighter too so that's good but why is it in the red(according to the optoma calculator).

Mike Clough #24
post #2952 of 2968 Old 01-01-2015, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I also struggled with too much green for weeks on end with my Optoma HD25-LV, tried dozens of combinations of settings, and at one point just gave up; no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of green skies in color movies. Then I decided to throw calibration to the winds and simply changed the default color temperature from Warm to the coolest setting. Everything looked vastly better and I had the blue skies I'd been missing. I have made a couple of very minor tweaks since then (boosted the contrast from the default a bit) but basically the 3D default settings were fine (other than the Warm color temperature). I also turned off Brilliant Color (I don't remember right now if the 3D default uses BC or not and it's late, so I'm not going to power up my projector to find out!). Hope this works for you.

To my surprise, I found that a black-and-white 3D movie such as CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON was a great test for my color settings. If the picture doesn't look black-and-white (too much blue or green or yellow), then fiddle with the 3D settings until it does. Be sure to have your 3D glasses on when experimenting since the ideal 3D picture will have a slight bluish tint to it in 2D only (meaning the double-image version you see without the glasses). Your yellow-tinted 3D glasses will compensate for the bluish tint that you will see in 2D when you remove the glasses.

Recent Optoma projectors allow two different saved settings, one for 2D and the other for 3D, so these adjustments shouldn't impact whatever 2D tweaks you may have already made. (I can't speak to 2D settings as I only use my Optoma projector for watching 3D; I use another, older projector, a Mitsubishi HD3800, for all of my 2D viewing.)

Last edited by fxrh; 01-01-2015 at 11:43 PM.
post #2953 of 2968 Old 01-02-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post
I also struggled with too much green for weeks on end with my Optoma HD25-LV, tried dozens of combinations of settings, and at one point just gave up; no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of green skies in color movies. Then I decided to throw calibration to the winds and simply changed the default color temperature from Warm to the coolest setting. Everything looked vastly better and I had the blue skies I'd been missing. I have made a couple of very minor tweaks since then (boosted the contrast from the default a bit) but basically the 3D default settings were fine (other than the Warm color temperature). I also turned off Brilliant Color (I don't remember right now if the 3D default uses BC or not and it's late, so I'm not going to power up my projector to find out!). Hope this works for you.

To my surprise, I found that a black-and-white 3D movie such as CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON was a great test for my color settings. If the picture doesn't look black-and-white (too much blue or green or yellow), then fiddle with the 3D settings until it does. Be sure to have your 3D glasses on when experimenting since the ideal 3D picture will have a slight bluish tint to it in 2D only (meaning the double-image version you see without the glasses). Your yellow-tinted 3D glasses will compensate for the bluish tint that you will see in 2D when you remove the glasses.

Recent Optoma projectors allow two different saved settings, one for 2D and the other for 3D, so these adjustments shouldn't impact whatever 2D tweaks you may have already made. (I can't speak to 2D settings as I only use my Optoma projector for watching 3D; I use another, older projector, a Mitsubishi HD3800, for all of my 2D viewing.)
I think I tried different color temperatures already, but to make sure I'll give it a go again ..

However, the thing which bothers me is that the green tint is only there when I view thru the glasses .. If I just straight up look at the 3D picture without the glasses, the colors seem fine .. This is why I personally feel that maybe the glasses are at fault ? However, that being said, everyone seems to be using the same glasses I have in this thread, and this hasn't been any major issue for 95% of the people here .. :/
post #2954 of 2968 Old 01-04-2015, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Im officially stick of adjusting my monoprice mount every week. Anyone have a solid they can recommend. I've just this one for 3 years and it's time to put it away
post #2955 of 2968 Old 01-12-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Can someone please help me out with the above ?
when watching 3d I'm in 3d mode not user.

I have brightness up to 4 and brilliant color at 7.

Seems to work for me. I'm using the estar 6 series rf glasses too.
post #2956 of 2968 Old 02-09-2015, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Is this still a good PJ to own (I own one), or is it obsolete? If obsolete, replace it with what?
post #2957 of 2968 Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is still an awesome projector!
The Dell 3200mp I had (circa 2003) was a trooper but in all reality it needed retiring many years ago. So in the market for an up to date 1080p/3D projector theOptoma HD131Xe keep coming up in conversation. Ive had mine since late 2013 and it was the hot bargain at that time. Real decent blacks and I liked the 3D. Quiet too.

I haven't payed too much attention to what's out at the moment though. Mhl on the new hd141xe I think.

HT: Energy RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-50s, RC-R,
4 UM-18 11cu ported
Elite Screens 135'' Sable
Music: RC-70s, S8.3 sub
Office:CB-20s, RC-LCR, CB-10s
post #2958 of 2968 Old 02-12-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post
Is this still a good PJ to own (I own one), or is it obsolete? If obsolete, replace it with what?
The only way any decent DLP will become obsolete is one of two ways:
They stop making replacement lamps when you need one.
You have $2000 saved up for something like the Sony hw40.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #2959 of 2968 Old 02-19-2015, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
All projectors become obsolete within 18 months. Doesn't mean they're not great projectors. Its just that the industry is changing that fast. Its like cellphones. Doesn't mean you need a new one, just means there's new stuff out there.
post #2960 of 2968 Old 03-29-2015, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post
Im officially stick of adjusting my monoprice mount every week. Anyone have a solid they can recommend. I've just this one for 3 years and it's time to put it away
I'm using a cheap eHotCafe PRB-717-BLK mount (also sold under the brand name QualGear). It is a pain to install, being a universal type mount that comes with many adjustable parts, but it is rock solid.

I was able to use four machine screws (three hex-head and one larger-diameter slot-head) to attach it to my Optoma HD25e, even though only three (tiny) screw sockets on the projector are probably meant for this purpose. Because this mount is universal, I was able to align it in such a way as to make use of the extra, larger screw socket on the projector, plus the regular three screw sockets.

I've included a picture of one that looks like the one I've got from the eHotCafe web site.

I'm using this on an Optoma HD25e projector, which could have a different mounting layout than what you've got.

One thing about this mount. I have to remove the mount completely from the projector if I need to change the lamp.

Also, I had to buy the three hex-head screws (about 50 cents total) at the local Ace Hardware stores, since the screws that come with the mount don't fit. The size of the mounting screws should be specified in the Optoma owner's manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41D2S+GYTsL._SS470_.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	633633  

Last edited by rural scribe; 03-29-2015 at 11:32 AM.
post #2961 of 2968 Old 04-01-2015, 07:13 AM

That looks like it will do the job. Thanks
post #2962 of 2968 Old 04-08-2015, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had my HD131Xe for about a year and I'm encountering a problem as of yesterday.

When the projector has been on for 5-10 minutes, it loses some or all of its color settings and reverts to what I imagine is the default, which is washed out and has a horrible green tint. The weird thing is that my custom settings are still present in the menu, but it seems like they just aren't being applied. The only way I can get things back to normal is to cycle through the presets a bunch of times and then go back to User, but even then it will only last for another 5-10 minutes.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it the lamp or the color wheel or something else? Anything I can do shy of replacing the whole thing?

Last edited by 2L84U; 04-08-2015 at 08:15 PM.
post #2963 of 2968 Old 05-26-2015, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had this excellent projector for 5 months, the projector was working great until one day whilst the projector was on - I unplugged the HDMI cable from my Dell Inspiron 17R - N7110 laptop . Ever since I have been unable to get the projector to correctly connect to the laptop and believe the problem to be the laptop settings being altered.

I have noted down the following actions and observations. Any assistance to correct the problem would be much appreciated.

Projector Lost connection with the laptop- no display shown on projector. The issue occurred from the point of pulling out the HDMI cable from the laptop when the display was working correctly.

The laptop picture displays ok, nothing displayed on projector. Just HDMI - no signal image.

U have noted some detailed steps if the can help anyone else.

Steps I have taken so far check list
  • Disconnect the hdmi cable from the projector and re connect into the projector hdmi port
  • Check the HDMI cable is not tangled in loop or too tight bends.
  • Went into screen resolution options - from the desk top right click.

See image 1

• This displayed the following options, select connect to projector.

Image 2
  • I have tried re installing NVidia graphics driver
This seemed to almost worked….the egg timer on the laptop was displayed for a second but some other setting is overriding the correct display.

After clean driver install and following steps 6-8, the projector display is currently flashing slowly on and off with the HDMI no signal image.
  • I have powered down the laptop and the projector from the power plug socket.
  • Switched on projector and allow to boot-up until projector display shows HDMI 1 No signal image (The bottom right side of display)
  • Switch on the laptop.
  • Went into screen resolution - to display connect to a projector option,
  • pressed connect to a projector and select duplicate display. (tried projector only)

Image 3

As this failed i tried Projector only.

Observations from each selected : -
Duplicate option is selected laptop displays the background image only – no icons and the mouse seems to move into extended display right side and bottom not up and left. The projector displays the HDMI1 No signal image and intermittently comes on and off.
To get back to original laptop setting press Fn + F1 three times.

Extend
This displays the laptop background screen no icons and the mouse can move laft right and bottom until off screen. Mouse cannot move past top.
To get back to initial laptop display press Fn + F1 3 times

Projector only option
This switches off the laptop display completely- the projector display the HDMI No signal imagr comes on and off.
To return back to the original laptop display press Fn +F1 twice

Each option in turn has now been tested without success.

The change screen resolution does seem to detect the optoma device as shown in snapshot(good sign at least)
NVidia controll panel

Last images

I would much appreciate any reply, the solution is likely to be simple...once you know how :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	739009   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	739017   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	739025   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	739033   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	739041  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	739049   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	739057  

Last edited by Romi12; 05-26-2015 at 04:24 PM.
post #2964 of 2968 Old 06-12-2015, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have one question...

A while ago i decided to reset my HD131xe for several reasons. I have not been using the projector a whole lot at all for more than a year now and since then returned to using a HDTV and i'm going to stick with it. That said, i am putting it up for sale, but i DO want to be honest towards people about how many lamp hours have been used/are still available to use.

Is there another way to check how many lamps hours overall i've used it?
post #2965 of 2968 Old 07-21-2015, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Anybody have suggestions on getting rid of dust from inside this projector?

I contacted Optoma and they said it'd cost $125 + shipping to have them remove the dust (basically).

I tried a can of compressed air and shot it through the little vents on the side of the projector, but it didn't even make the dust flicker so I don't know how to get rid of it. I also opened the projector up and tried to clean out the inside of it, but that didn't help either. I've attached some pics of the spots I'm seeing...

Anybody have other recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0766.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	841226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	841234  

post #2966 of 2968 Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have cleaned my HD20 which was the previous model I owned following some on-line documentation and it really cleared up these issues you are seeing. I have not opened this model yet so I do not know the similarities however you might want to search on that optoma model to get a hint. It require a vacuum and higher pressure air than what comes in a can.
post #2967 of 2968 Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post
Anybody have suggestions on getting rid of dust from inside this projector?

I contacted Optoma and they said it'd cost $125 + shipping to have them remove the dust (basically).

I tried a can of compressed air and shot it through the little vents on the side of the projector, but it didn't even make the dust flicker so I don't know how to get rid of it. I also opened the projector up and tried to clean out the inside of it, but that didn't help either. I've attached some pics of the spots I'm seeing...

Anybody have other recommendations?

I had same problem years ago with my HD33 and sent it back to Optoma. The dust gets into the light channel around the color wheel and you can't get it out without special tools. They cleaned it nicely, but then wanted to charge me for a new bulb. I said no, the old one was fine. They warned me that the old one could go at any time--it last for a long time after that. They scratched the heck out of the plastic case, too. I could see writing scratched into the case--unbelievable.
post #2968 of 2968 Old 08-28-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Has anyone figured out how to combat the green tint issue?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - Hd131xe by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page