OPTOMA GT760 : HD and 3D Ready short throw distance DLP projector - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 95 Old 10-30-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I think this projector now is the best PJ you can get for 3D gaming.

+ Zero input lag? (as reported for GT750) Although I seriously doubt it's zero (especially in 3D) I think it'd still be the lowest among consumer projectors.
+ Native resolution of 720p. Why is it a plus? Right now you can't play 1080p60 games in 3D because HDMI 1.4a is limited to 1080p24 in frame-packing mode. So you stick with 720p60 for 3D even on FullHD 3D projectors. And you know that it is better to play 720p on a native 720p projector because you avoid interpolation - sharper image.
+ Extremely low price of $650.
+ Updated to the new DC3 chip with stereoscopic 144 Hz compatibility, modulating lamp technology (higher specs for contrast ratio support this: GT750 had 3000:1 (in reality less than 1000:1), GT760 has 20000:1 - like almost all projectors with the new DC3 chip (BenQ W1070, Optoma HD25 etc.)).
+ Bright! At least on paper it says 3400 lumens. That is a great asset for 3D as you lose 80% of brightness behind the stereoscopic glasses when you enable 3D. Although this high number means it probably uses White and/or Yellow elements in its color wheel reducing color luminance, for games color fidelity is not the most important aspect.
+ Lamp life is rated at 6500 hours! You don't have to worry about your game hours.
+ Best motion resolution among current non-CRT projectors! You can enable 120 Hz and apparently 144 Hz on this projector in 2D mode in which it uses BFI (black frame insertion) to reduce motion blur by a multiple of 4. I give credit to Mark Rejhon at BlurBusters for this information.

= Placement flexibility (compared to some more expensive 3D projectors). A gentleman above tells us it even has some vertical and horizontal lens shift. But in any case, it's an ultra-short throw projector and if you didn't have one installed previously you have to find a place for a new Optoma.

- ???

Even though I have a great projector (Mitsubishi HC5) which I enjoy greatly in 2D movies, I am considering this one for 3D gaming and movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

HeavvyD, can you do some close-up screenshots for me? I am curious about the sharpness of this projector. If you could just attach it to your computer and take a close-up photo of some white text on the black background I'd be grateful. Don't forget to set 1280x720 resolution, set scaling to 0% if you're using an ATI card, and turn off all sharpness enhancers.
post #33 of 95 Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

Thanks to the post of HeavyD, I decided to buy this projector last weekend. And I must say that I am very happy I did it.

I have taken some pictures (which does seem to be harder than I thought). My camera was taking the shots from a bit below the center of the screen, that's why it looks like it's not a rectangular shape, but in reality it is).

First thoughts:

- Wow: what a big and bright image, even with the lights on (off course, with the lights off, it's just incredible!)

- Colors do seem to be good (or I am just not that critical, but other people who saw the images also said it was very nice). I haven't noticed any particular color that is really wrong to my opinion. I did change the mode from "Presentation" to "Movie", which helped a lot.

- Dark detail: I've watched the Conjuring, which does have it's dark moments, and I must say that I haven't had any moment where I had complaints about things not being visible enough.

- RBE: I do seem to suffer from RBE, but I only see it slightly in the subtitles (and that's probably because 80 inch image is just too big for my viewing distance, so I have to move my eyes to read the subtitles and then I sometimes notice it very slightly). That's the bad thing about knowing about RBE. You start looking for it the moment the movie starts... Another person also noticed it, but I wonder if she would have seen it, if I would have kept my mouth shut about it...

- Motion blur: I've played Forza Motorsport 4 on my Xbox 360, which is just amazing. Nothing to complain about. No delay to be noticed at all. I've also played a part of the Fast and Furious 6 movie on it, but there I found the fast moving images a bit jerky. Luckily, I found that you can feed the GT760 a 120hz refresh rate, which eliminates this problem completely. When feeding 120Hz, the projector goes into the 3D preset, but you can go back to the Custom preset, making the colors more natural again.

- I've noticed a menu option "wireless", which I can turn on and off, but don't know what that does. If anybody knows?

- 3D: I don't have the glasses, so won't be able to test that the coming weeks...

- Audio: the speakers in the projector do a nice job if you have no other speakers around. Of course, it's not the same as a full speaker set, but it did a good job showing off a movie at my parent's house.

- Short throw: it really is short throw. I always imagined a projector having to be behind you, but now it's only a meter from the wall and it's projecting an image of around 80 inch

- Vertical/Horizontal shift: it does have that in the menu's, but I don't know if that is the same as for example the BenQ W1070, which has a screw you must turn to do it? The Optoma allows the image to be a bit shifted, but soon starts cutting off the source. It's a digital shift, not hardware.

If you have any questions about this projector, I'm happy to try it out for you or take a picture of things you want to see :)

Hopefully I helped some people with this.

post #34 of 95 Old 11-05-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the impressions! Can you engage 120 Hz on it and run this test? http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates&count=6&pps=1920&ff=1 Your computer must be powerful enough though to avoid dropped frames (see that it says Valid* on the bottom of the page).

The goal of this test is to be able to see small white dots distinctly on the upper UFO. Tell us the maximum speed at which you can distinct those dots (and where it starts blurring).

Also, can you engage 144 Hz in 2D?
post #35 of 95 Old 11-07-2013, 01:12 AM

I did that test yesterday. First I did it on my laptop and i couldn't see the dots in the upper ufo, but on the projector with 120hz, i could see them, if I followed the ufo with my eyes. Lower speeds sometimes were a little more annoying to look at.  It said "valid" on the bottom of the page. I should do that test again at 60Hz.

Only thing I noticed when running at 120hz, is that the brightness goes up quite a bit (probably because of the projector thinking that it will receive 3D), which gives a shade of white over the screen, making the black levels worse... Maybe I can fiddle with the settings to make it better, but I haven't tried that yet.

144Hz is not mentioned in the user manual, so I guess it won't be possible to do that. Or should it be able to do it in 3D? I'll try if it accepts 144hz in the coming days.

post #36 of 95 Old 11-07-2013, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
If only Optoma makes a 1080p version to rival BenQ W1080ST....
post #37 of 95 Old 11-07-2013, 05:53 AM

Its possible the dlp link flash is being enabled, that would explain the white shade, try turning that off.
post #38 of 95 Old 11-07-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

If only Optoma makes a 1080p version to rival BenQ W1080ST....
This projector is for gaming. As I described earlier, native 720p panel is better for 3D gaming as of now.
post #39 of 95 Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

This projector is for gaming. As I described earlier, native 720p panel is better for 3D gaming as of now.
Let's not forget 2D gamers. biggrin.gif
post #40 of 95 Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

For 2D gaming it's more normal to pick 1080p today. There are a lot of 1080p projectors todays but none of them have input lag as low as Optoma GT760.
post #41 of 95 Old 11-08-2013, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrivdw View Post

I did that test yesterday. First I did it on my laptop and i couldn't see the dots in the upper ufo, but on the projector with 120hz, i could see them, if I followed the ufo with my eyes.
Interesting!!! What speed was it then? 1920 pixels per second? Also, can you take a macro image of a white text on a black background? So we could see pixels? Do this in the center and in one of the corners, please.
post #42 of 95 Old 11-20-2013, 06:44 AM

In case anyone is interested in this projector, I just bought one online from a well-known internet site that has a 10% discount that runs to the end of today, my delivered price was $585.98. I bought it because of its short throw, high lumens and low lag for gaming. I should receive it today and will test out it's lag compared to other projectors I own. BTW, I use the Optoma DLP link glasses for my Acer H9500BD 3D movie watching and find them superior to most other brands.
post #43 of 95 Old 11-20-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elseven View Post

I should receive it today and will test out it's lag compared to other projectors I own.
Please do!
post #44 of 95 Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 PM

Elseven, where'd you pick this up from for $585? I looked around a lot and only could find it for $650 + $25 gc

post #45 of 95 Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 PM

Interested in why you guys picked this over the BenQ W770ST? The BenQ seems to be about $100 less now ($550).

post #46 of 95 Old 11-26-2013, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellobenny View Post

Interested in why you guys picked this over the BenQ W770ST? The BenQ seems to be about $100 less now ($550).
Frankly, I didn't know about it. But looking at specifications only, it's less bright than GT760. Also GT760 is confirmed to have small input lag. What about W770ST? There are very few tests for W770ST and none for GT760. So, only way to tell which is better is to buy both and test. biggrin.gif
post #47 of 95 Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Where did the owners go?
post #48 of 95 Old 12-09-2013, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I pulled the trigger on this projector. It's supposed to be delivered before Christmas. I'll do a mini-review. We'll see if it'll live up to my expectations.
post #49 of 95 Old 12-24-2013, 03:48 AM

I'm about to buy this projector. For anyone that has it I have one question, I want to hook this up to a PS4. I gather this is a native 720p projector, but what I want to know is if it will also support 1080p outta the PS3/PS4. Or if what you will get when you select that output the screen will just go black.
post #50 of 95 Old 12-30-2013, 02:35 PM

lol, where are all the owners of this projector???

Thye've abandoned us!!!!!!!!!!!
post #51 of 95 Old 01-03-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Interesting!!! What speed was it then? 1920 pixels per second? Also, can you take a macro image of a white text on a black background? So we could see pixels? Do this in the center and in one of the corners, please.

The speed was indeed 1920 pixels per second. I've started taking pictures around the time you asked this, but the batteries went dead before I could take the picture... Then sort of forgot about it... Sorry! I guess you will see it for yourself when you get your GT760. You can notice the pixels, even when sitting a bit further away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorddeff07 View Post

I'm about to buy this projector. For anyone that has it I have one question, I want to hook this up to a PS4. I gather this is a native 720p projector, but what I want to know is if it will also support 1080p outta the PS3/PS4. Or if what you will get when you select that output the screen will just go black.

It should support 1080p, according to the manual. I actually never connected a 1080p source to it, so can't confirm... The PS4 will probably also support 720p, so that shouldn't be a problem, I think?

One thing that has bothered me the last times I used my projector, is that in some scenes in movies (especially when there is bright light on a sweaty face for example), you get a big white-ish spot on their face, while on my laptop screen, it is rendered much more beautiful... Started to notice this on other sources, such as my settop box, as well... It does bother me a bit... You could compare it like taking your screen setup to 8bit (ok, it's not that bad, but still, it looks like that).

Elix, if you get yours, could you check and see if you have that problem too? I do find it strange that I only started noticing this in the last few weeks.

post #52 of 95 Old 01-03-2014, 03:37 PM

Thanks Dimitriv. Yh I know the Ps4 will output in 720p, its just that on my HD66 when i output in 1080p via HDMI it just goes balck. Outputting 1080p via VGA works. So I was just hoping they have sorted this out and at least take in a 1080p signal via HDMI. Especially considering it does 1080i via HDMI just fine.

About your screen, could you be hotspotting? You could also try reducing the brightness of the projector and running it like that for a couple days worth of use so you break it in a bit.
post #53 of 95 Old 01-04-2014, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Lorddeff07, I'm sure it supports 1080p input. Although it puzzles me as to why you'd want to input that resolution. Other than decreased refresh rate you'd only get an interpolated image. It's a native 720p projector so it's better to always input that resolution.
post #54 of 95 Old 01-08-2014, 09:42 PM

So have we confirmed that the GT760 has blank frame insertion or not?

Do images look pixelated a couple feet away (i..e, is it obvious it's 720 p).

post #55 of 95 Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't received my unit yet. I won't abandon this topic once it gets here, rest assured.
post #56 of 95 Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 PM

I've been using my Optoma GT760 for a month now and its by far the best projector i've purchased. The image is clear day or night. Even without blinds, i can see very clearly. I compared it to my friend's epson 1080p projector and the difference is very obvious. i would choose my projector any day. I placed it at 8 feet from my wall so i get a good 200 inches of screen. I also got the 3d glasses. They're obviously not the best and they tend to flicker when the battery is low. But you get an awesome 3D experience even using a wall. The connect automatically when you set the projector on DLP-LINK. When playing or watching movies on my xbox, the image remains clear (except if you play battle: LA on xbox, the graphics are horrible). I also tried 3D movies to my xbox and i don't even wanna get a ps4 anymore. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've been back and forth with this baby and i love it sooo much!

post #57 of 95 Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 PM

Alright, I got tired of waiting for Elix (lol) so I pulled the trigger on this bad boy on Amazon. My first projector. 

I'm going to use it as Optoma intended - Carelessly, on a coffee table projecting on a bare white wall in a very small apartment not engineered for projectors, connected to an Xbox One. No videophile ostentatiousness over here. Heck, I'm even going to try using the built in speaker. (I know....the horror, the horror.)

I decided to get it over the BenQ 1080st for a couple of reasons:

- Purpose built for exactly my situation.

- 720p native resolution. No upscaling artifacts in XBox One games that run natively at 720p. We'll see if most Xbox One games run in 1080p later on...

- If they eventually do, the $350 I saved will a go a long way towards buying Optima's next GT projector with 1080p or 4k or whatnot. That's also enough dough for me to buy a PS4 or SteamBox later on, or a lot of games. 

- Brighter lamp than the BenQ. Who likes to game in the dark? (Granted, the BenQ is supposed to be a light cannon in own right.)

and most importantly....

- Even shorter throw-ratio. Playing around with the Projector Calculator told me that this is going to be a big help in my case. 

I'll let you guys know how it turns out after it arrives. 

post #58 of 95 Old 01-13-2014, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czilla9000 View Post

Alright, I got tired of waiting for Elix (lol) so I pulled the trigger on this bad boy on Amazon.
][_,{[]}][_, Exactly my situation before I ordered mine (got tired waiting for comments from the first owners here in this thread). Sorry, Russian postal service stinks. It's supposed to arrive this or next week though.

I am expecting this projector's 2D image to be only passable (I hope) with kinda low contrast (both sequential and intra-scene), dull colors and lots of RBE. I am not expecting it to grab any stars especially comparing it to my other projector - Mitsubishi HC5. I do hope for stellar 3D, motion resolution and low input lag though.
post #59 of 95 Old 01-13-2014, 08:35 AM

I know what you mean. I once sold some headphones to someone in Russia and - much to my shock - it took 2 months to get to him!

And can anyone tell me how to activate 120 Hz in 2D, or will that be obvious to me once it arrives?

post #60 of 95 Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 PM

Okay, so I got the projector. Impressions in coming...

I'm having a geometry issue with the grid. Anyone have a similar issue? I'm firing about 5 feet away on a coffee table to my wall. Is this just the nature of a short throw projector? It's like this no matter what surface I fire on. Did I get a defective unit?

The grid is in the settings.  

And how are some of you forcing 120 Hz in 2D?

EDIT: See my response after Elix on the next page. The geometry problem is fixed, and after adjusting the settings everything look great.

Last edited by Czilla9000; 08-23-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Technology Gt760 Gametime 3d Gaming Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page