OPTOMA GT760 : HD and 3D Ready short throw distance DLP projector - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 92 Old 05-12-2014, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1920/1280=1,5 and 1080/720=1,5

In other words if you scale a 720P image into 1080P you are overlaying every 2 pixels of the original onto 3 pixels of the upscaled image. Both in the vertical and horizontal direction. A bad scaler will simply create a 50/50 blend for the middle pixel, a good one will use a more clever algorithm. (Like looking at previous and future frames to detect motion, edge detection to keep sharp edges scharp, etc) The other way around, to scale 1080P into 720P, you are trying to cram 3 pixels into 2 pixels and you have the same problem. Either way, you will get picture degradation.

The reason that upscaling from 1080P to 4K works so well is that it simply has to double the horizontal and vertical pixels, so every single pixel now becomes a group of 4. The scaling process introduces no artifacts at all. Now all the scaler has to do is decide which edges to soften or sharpen to "enhance" the image. I appreciate the effort you did but simple math would have proven the point as well. smile.gif

I still have my GT750 and I use computer with a software bluray player to do the downscaling because it can do it much better than the scaler built into the projector itself. Although every person who has seen my setup is impressed at how good the image is for "just a cheap 720P", it cannot compete with a real 1080P projector when the source material is also 1080P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 92 Old 05-12-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Good observation regarding 1.5 ratio. It's quite obvious yet I didn't think of it before. ^^
Yes, the best scalers currently out there are implemented in madVR. Later maybe I'll do real-world shots of 720p content.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Technology Gt760 Gametime 3d Gaming Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page