Need stop gap (under $650) projector to replaced failed IN76 to use for one year until new house is finished - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well, with about 27,000 hours on it, my Infocus IN76 has finally failed. This is my primary TV and is projected on a 118" Carada cinema white screen.

I've just broken ground on a new home, that will include an Erskine designed theater, so I am simply looking for a cheap, 720P projector to hold me over 12-14 months until I'm in the new house, where I will switch to an 80" or 90" TV in the family room, and a new projector/screen setup in the home theater room.

As stated, my screen is 118" (16:9) and my ceiling mount down pole is 13' 9" from the screen. Also, without a downpipe extension, my universal mount (which will hopefully work on the new projector) is about 8" above the screen (haven't actually measured this, going by memory).

So far, the only projector I've seen that both works for that size/throw distance, and has an offset similar to my IN76, is the Optoma HD66, which at under $500 fits the bill price wise.

The reviews on the HD66 aren't that great, but since it's several years newer technology than my Infocus IN76, it might have just as good a picture. I'm not looking to upgrade, just give me something with similar picture quality to buy me a year. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a projector now, when the throw distance, ratio, screen size, all will be far different in my dedicated room. Plus, I'm waiting to see what's released after Cedia (or even next year) before deciding on a projector for the new house).

So, anyone know of a projector other than the HD66 that would work for my distance/size? How do you think the HD66 will compare to my IN76? I know the color wheel is slower, hopefully that doesn't give me rainbow issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-HC3000U-HC3000-HD-720P-Widescreen-Home-Theater-Projector-NEW-LAMP-/330968450749?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item4d0f41c6bd
I would sell you mine but I like it to much to part with it! Not positive on the offset and throw but I had the IN72 when I got this it worked on the same table.. I have over 3000 hours on my HC3000 OEM lamp and over 7000 on the unit, a rock solid projector. Once 2 point WB is calibrated the color are very close to perfect. Of course used is used and you take a chance..
post #3 of 3 Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-HC3000U-HC3000-HD-720P-Widescreen-Home-Theater-Projector-NEW-LAMP-/330968450749?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item4d0f41c6bd
I would sell you mine but I like it to much to part with it! Not positive on the offset and throw but I had the IN72 when I got this it worked on the same table.. I have over 3000 hours on my HC3000 OEM lamp and over 7000 on the unit, a rock solid projector. Once 2 point WB is calibrated the color are very close to perfect. Of course used is used and you take a chance..

Thanks for the link, but I don't want to go the used route, even though I know used would give me more projector for the same money. I want to be hassle free for the next year, as this is just a temporary solution, but also our main TV. I don't want my wife calling me about the used projector that isn't working.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd66 Dlp 3d Ready Home Theater Projector , Mitsubishi Hc3000u High Definition 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page