Stay with Epson 8350 or go 82" DLP Rear Projection??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In short, I love the picture of the 8350 and my high powered 2.8 gain material screen on my custom frame, but, I have flat out grown tired of the very poor bulb life (very poor in comparison to the rating Epson provides and the Pany AX200 this 8350 replaced al though the life of the bulb is "rated" far longer in this 8350) and am considering moving away from projection all together. The 8350 serves as my t.v. and I take the normal precautions such as not frequently cycling on and off, battery back up, etc; however, it is used as my t.v. and during football season can see as much as 8 hours straight of use. I would love to buy another projector given I enjoy the 106" screen; however, I am just not sure there are any within my price range (under $2200) which will work as well as the t.v. for my intended purpose. I understand the DLP tv's also have bulb life limitations but I also understand them to last substantially longer. In any event I am open to suggestions on directions I should be looking at.

Keep in mind my home theater can see violent vibrations thanks to my 4 18" IB subwoofer system but I would say that is about 5% of the time these days and maybe less when we add a child to our family in about a year or so.

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Where you getting a dlp tv? Didn't Mitsubishi stop production about 9 months ago.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Where you getting a dlp tv? Didn't Mitsubishi stop production about 9 months ago.

Do a search under google and the market appears to have many remaining in stock. I only did a quick glance so I am assuming there are still many available.

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The average bulb life on the Mits RPTV's is about 10,000 hours with about 50% dimming and cost about $120 for OEM lamps. If your use to a projector the BenQ 1070 and Optoma HD25 are rated for about 6000Hrs but are too new to know real life expectancy. An 80" sharp LCD would solve your lamp issue but cost enough for you to replace quite a few lamps on the RPTV or projector. I would go with the new entry level DLP projectors myself if you like the projector now.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

The average bulb life on the Mits RPTV's is about 10,000 hours with about 50% dimming and cost about $120 for OEM lamps. If your use to a projector the BenQ 1070 and Optoma HD25 are rated for about 6000Hrs but are too new to know real life expectancy. An 80" sharp LCD would solve your lamp issue but cost enough for you to replace quite a few lamps on the RPTV or projector. I would go with the new entry level DLP projectors myself if you like the projector now.

The entry level DLP projectors don't have the lense shift needed in my app. I have an HP screen and my projector dropped from the ceiling quite a bit to minimize the angle between it and my viewing position to get the most from the HP material. My only options are in the $2200 or more range it seems. I may stick out this 8350 for a while. My wife my end up pushing us to a large tv. Don't want to give up the image size but I think I can tolerate it. 80" is still a large image afterall!

post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
IMO 8 hours of use is just as bad as 2 hours of use. On/off cycles seem to really do a number on bulbs. If my projo isn't going to be on for longer than a full length movie, I use my lcd. I've watched a 8am soccer match and jest left my projector on while I was out shopping and returned to watching racing all afternoon.

Mitsubishi will look better with the lights on.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page