My System to a Optoma HD131X Help ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a Newbie to the DLP world....I know the Sony TV I have doesn't have Video out.....so my ideal easy fix to connect all my gear to the TV then out to my new DLP wont work?

All Im asking is for some advice to how best link up all my existing gear to the new projector, audio, video etc all feedback and knowledge gratefully received

My stuff...smile.gif

Sony BDP-S1100 Smart Blu-ray Disc™ Player
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX723
Sony HT-CT260 Surround Sound Bar
ATV 2 & 3
Humax FreeSat Box
iMac
TimeCapsule
Billion 7800N Router
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Really, how do you think this is supposed to work?

A typical projector is setup as a stand alone system and uses a separate audio system.

I'm guessing you currently have your audio bar hooked up to your TV and the TV is feeding audio into that audio bar? If so, do you plan to have your TV on feeding that audio bar during movies? Is there a screen you have which is near the TV? In front of the TV? Where is the projector? Did you intend to use the nasty speaker in the projector (if it has one)?

This setup is terrible for you as I see it, but you need to feed audio into your surround bar separately from the TV altogether and you need to feed both the TV and the projector with HDMI at the same time.

Something like this...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7974&seq=1&format=2
and this...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2

Or, if the speaker bar has analog audio inputs, maybe just use this...
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7112&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
Five28 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for reply.....I think ill use the feed from the ATV to the DLP to view movies....pity the Optoma hasn't got Optical Audio out rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Most people don't do what you have done. It is far more typical to use a proper A/V receiver and speakers instead of a speaker bar. It complicates things immensely when bottom tier solutions are utilized.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by courier1958 View Post

Thanks for reply.....I think ill use the feed from the ATV to the DLP to view movies....pity the Optoma hasn't got Optical Audio out rolleyes.gif
I'm a bit confused as to exactly what you want to do. Do you want both the TV and the projector active at the same time?

If not, I would just get an inexpensive HDMI switch (buy a 1.4 one so you can upgrade to 3d). For the audio, you should be able to hook up the soundbar to your BD player through coax, but you will get lossy sound.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-06-2013, 12:21 AM

Your setup approach is not the best if you want the best out of this projector. As some people have already indicated the proper approach is to make use of an AV receiver but you need to make sure that this is capable of receiving and passing through a 3D signal at 1080p. Most should but its best to check this.
In order to get the best picture and sound quality you need to maintain a HDMI cable setup right throughout and DONT rely on video out or optical or anything other than HDMI.

My setup involves a Samsung Bluray player and this is connected to the BD/DVD HDMI input of the AV receiver. The output from the AV receiver is also HDMI and this is then connected to the HDMI 1 input to the HD131X projector.

Some very important notes:

1. Make sure that in the GUI setup within your AV AMP receiver that the HDMI audio is only set to AMP and NOT AMP+TV! otherwise the Samsung player will downgrade your audio quality to PCM 48 as it is trying to play the audio via your projector. Setting the HDMI audio to restrict to the AMP only setting will play your sound as uncompressed DTS Master Audio.
2. Ensure that your bluray player audio is set to uncompressed audio
3. Dont buy cheap DLP 3D glasses such as SainSonic as they do not work with this projector. In the end I had to purchase the official Optoma 3D Glasses: ZD301 (available on Amazon) and they never lose sync and the colour rendition is just like in the cinema! Yes these glasses arent cheap but they work extremely well and avoid temptation on trying to save some cash by buying cheaper nasty glasses - you are wasting your money.
4. If your setup involves passing through HDMI cables through a HDMI switcher box i.e. to swap between Sky or Apple TV be careful as cheaper ones wont support the 1.4a standard and you will end up having problems. Ideally you should always maintain a good robust link from the BD player to your AMP and back out to your projector.

HDMI cables!! - Amazon stock code: ASIN: B0036BD0K2

You need high grade HDMI cables. Those articles which state you can use a cheap and nasty one is simply rubbish! These DONT work with 1080p signals in 3D especially when you try to run these cables via a 7.1 AV receiver!!

Make sure that you are using proper HDMI v1.4a cables which are shielded and have at least 15GB's throughput capacity otherwise the cable gets overloaded and will not properly work in 1080p 3D. There are a few on Amazon which claim to work but I had big problems. 2D at 1080p worked fine but then 3D 1080p was a big headache until I found these cables on Amazon:

You can search for ASIN: B0036BD0K2. These cables are highly recommended and are very high quality and at a reasonable price!!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Hd131x Dlp Projektor 3d
Gear in this thread - Hd131x by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page