Projector light bulb seems to be working but then flicks off by itself after 5 to 10 minutes (and unit stays on) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Greets, just trying to figure out if you think this is the bulb or the unit itself. Perhaps the below is a common problem....

Panasonic PT-AE900E, original bulb 2250 hours (all on economic low-level use, rated at 3000). Projector (and bulb) will always turn on as normal but after between 5-15 minutes of use the bulb just flicks off. The projector itself looks like it is still running as it doesn't go into full shutdown mode (fan on high for two minutes to cool it down) and there are no warning lights. I am now unable to shut the unit off unless I physically remove power to it as the off button via the unit or the remote has become inoperative. After waiting 15 minutes or so I can turn it back on again and the bulb is working fine but then again after 5-15 minutes the bulb just flicks off by itself again but the projector stays acting like it's working (no warning lights, only the green steady power light is on, no shutdown procedure).

Things I have tried that did not help: Turned off Dynamic Iris & increased the bulb from low to normal power level. Cleaned filter. Pulled bulb out, inspected & put back in.

Can the bulb be the cause? But I would think that if the bulb goes I would get a warning light or the darn thing would just not turn on anymore instead of flicking off by itself all the time. Is this a common problem with bulbs that are going bad to just turn off by themselves? Some guidance please before I go drop money on a new bulb or do I need a projector....

Cheers....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Did this ever happen earlier in the life of the bulb even once? The reason I ask is that the first bulb in my old Sharp XV 9000 failed at less than 1000 hours. It gave me some warning that it was going bad by shutting off like you describe once or twice before it failed. I just thought it may have overheated and shut down. I did get the red lamp warning lamp. I would have to unplug the projector and it would reset and all seemed well for long periods of time. It suddenly got more frequent and then the bulb exploded. The second lamp has over double the hours of the first and is going strong. It could just be the lamp and if it had shut down some time before it got to its present state it increases the odds. I did get the warning light which stayed out after a reset. Good luck.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-25-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have had problems previously shutting down by itself but in the previous instances it went to full shut down mode where the fan ran for 2 minutes before shutting itself down totally. Had no warning lights but I was able to restart the projector and it would run fine for very long periods of time until it happened again. This new problem it doesn't go to full shutdown mode, the bulb just blinks off and the projector just sits there also with no warning lights. But this new problem happens all the time so to make the projector now unusable.

I live in the Philippines so (hopefully) I can get a replacement bulb and I am also looking at the BenQ W1070 as a replacement projector. Again, I don't know yet if I will be able to get that model. Shopping time later after lunch rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 10 Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Pull the lamp out and check the iris to see if it is sticking. Panasonic had a few years with this being a huge issue. I recently pulled a projector and had to send it in for repair due to this issue. The lamp would just shut off during use for no obvious reason and no warning on a nearly new lamp. Sent it in for repair and it is working fine right now.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well, took the projector apart and the two iris points did not seem to be sticking. But oiled them up anyway and blew out any dust in and around the insides of it. Put it all back together and fired it up. Just left the blue startup screen on the wall (didn't plug in any video source) and after about 5 minutes the same exact thing happened. Bulb flicked off, no warning lights, no nothing else. Projector just sat there. Had to power it back down using the master switch on the back. This is very bad.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Sounds like you may need to give Panasonic a call on this one. If you aren't ready to replace, then it may be a few hundred dollars, or less, to get it repaired, but weird that there are no error lights and it is locking up.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well, this is interesting. I decided to revisit the dynamic iris. I took the cover off again and disconnected the dynamic iris connector so to remove the iris totally from the system. Fired up the projector and so far it is working. Can you say dang dang dang? After projector cools I will try to lube the two pivot points again but to be honest I don't think they are getting stuck as they both move freely and I have already lubed them multiple times during the past two years of projector use. So am pretty sure something else is now wrong with the iris besides not being able to move freely.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

So since I had nothing to lose I just went ahead and totally doused the pivot points of the iris with WD-40. Fired up the projector and it ran fine for about four hours. So thinking I had fixed it I shut it down for about three hours and went to dinner. Upon coming home the projector wouldn't even start. The green light came on, but the bulb didn't fire up, no red warning lights. So pulled the bulb out and played around with it. Scraped with a screwdriver along the two contact points so to perhaps make a better contact connection. Put it back together and it fired up. And it worked until I shut it down and went to bed. This is the last time I have used it.

Totally fed up with this Panasonic PT-AE900 so went out and bought a Benq W1070. The Panny has been banished to the closet.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxoxo View Post

So since I had nothing to lose I just went ahead and totally doused the pivot points of the iris with WD-40. Fired up the projector and it ran fine for about four hours. So thinking I had fixed it I shut it down for about three hours and went to dinner. Upon coming home the projector wouldn't even start. The green light came on, but the bulb didn't fire up, no red warning lights. So pulled the bulb out and played around with it. Scraped with a screwdriver along the two contact points so to perhaps make a better contact connection. Put it back together and it fired up. And it worked until I shut it down and went to bed. This is the last time I have used it.

Totally fed up with this Panasonic PT-AE900 so went out and bought a Benq W1070. The Panny has been banished to the closet.

My AE900U was decommissioned 1 1/2 years ago, not because it didn't work but because it was time to move on. It was a fine projector in its day but that day has passed. Any new projector today will outshine something manufactured 8 years ago.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #10 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My guess is your problem is the lamp. There is an ongoing data stream between the lamp and the ballast that monitors if the lamp is working properly. If it is flickering or it is old it will send the projector into shutdown. The data will also change when it warms up. You should NEVER use WD40 for any kind of lubrication. Once it dries out the components it was coated with will bind and become sticky. You should use something like light weight sewing machine or 3 in one oil with graphite power. It works far better- Graphite power is VERY messy so put the oil on first and then a TINY puff of power on top of it . Make sure you use the power and not the spray. Best of Luck - Bohanna
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page