The Offical Epson 2030 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 375 Old 07-18-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
Yeah, definitely not complaining about the depth of 3D. Really helps with the immersion. I move the sofa closer to the screen, so about 7-8' away, the screen takes up the whole field of vision during 3D movies. Totally addicted to the 3D now and adding to my collection of movies also. FWIW, I have a 70" Sony LED in the living room that's active 3D and I never use the 3D on it lol. If I'm going to watch 3D, it's on this PJ in the theater room
Have you tried out the Sony? I bet it's no slouch either. My Sharp is 70" and about 15' away. When I set up the 2030 with the 80" screen it's about 8' away or so. More like being in the front row. Not my favorite way but it is fairly immersive. I place the proj. on the fold down center of my couch. It provides a good surface and so far I haven't needed to use the couch while watching. We use the outboard recliners. If I have company where I'd need all four seats I'd take the seat to the right of the proj. As it would be the warmest. in quieter scenes I can hear the fan and I've learned I can't play the movies too loud. It seems I had Avatar running just a bit too loud.
BDUB619 likes this.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 375 Old 07-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
perpetual98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So I got my PJ temporarily mounted while I wait for my longer downtube but now it's TOO close to the screen. I think I went from the Epson calculator. No biggie, I can move it when I permanently mount it, but I had a question that I will try to phrase correctly.

Right now there's two ranges of my zoom. At one range the image takes up about 2/3 of my screen, and at the other end of the zoom it takes up about 90% of the screen.

Does this "zoom" change the picture quality at all? Should I be trying to position the projector to one of these extremes of the zoom, or do I want a neutral position about in the middle and move the projector accordingly? I know what I'm trying to say, just not sure it's coming out right.
perpetual98 is offline  
post #303 of 375 Old 07-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Newbie
 
Soul_Reaper_SKN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: South Africa
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm looking for a projector for my home theatre and can't decide between the benq W1070 or optoma HD25 and the epson 2030. I'm current leaning to towards the epson 2030 because of its ease of use ,cheaper 3D glasses I can use on it. For those who had experience with the other 2 is the picture quality a big difference when comparing to the benq and optoma?
Soul_Reaper_SKN is offline  
post #304 of 375 Old 07-19-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
So I got my PJ temporarily mounted while I wait for my longer downtube but now it's TOO close to the screen. I think I went from the Epson calculator. No biggie, I can move it when I permanently mount it, but I had a question that I will try to phrase correctly.

Right now there's two ranges of my zoom. At one range the image takes up about 2/3 of my screen, and at the other end of the zoom it takes up about 90% of the screen.

Does this "zoom" change the picture quality at all? Should I be trying to position the projector to one of these extremes of the zoom, or do I want a neutral position about in the middle and move the projector accordingly? I know what I'm trying to say, just not sure it's coming out right.
You want to find a projector distance to screen that is somewhere in the mid range - not too close not too far. Has to do with the lens optics and their individual sweet spot. The projector calculator at the ProjectorCentral website usually does that for you.

I'm a little confused as to why your zoom is only filling part of the screen. What size and aspect ratio is it?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #305 of 375 Old 07-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
perpetual98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I'm a little confused as to why your zoom is only filling part of the screen.
It's only filling part of the screen because right now the projector is too close to the screen. The screen is 120" diagonal and without pulling a tape measure out, the PJ is probably 10.5ish feet from the screen. I think I need to be about 2' further back.
perpetual98 is offline  
post #306 of 375 Old 07-20-2014, 05:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Angry 7ft ceiling with 18ft viewing

What is your throw distance? You said you viewed from 18' ?
I have 17ft throw, ceiling mount and cannot get the picture down - it's huge and spills over about 2' on to side wall. - a setup I'm trying to use from my old Mitsubishi 720p. Really don't want to move the PJ forward, it would be right over sofa. Any magic solution anyone?
Of course I bought the 2030 and THEN went to the calculator, which shows my screen diag of 176"....too big.


Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Dagg21

Well in the beginning stages of a basement remodel and I have a section I want to use for a projector. After reading a lot and not wanting to risk RBE (has bothered me in the past) for myself or family I chose this model. Finally came last night and I am pretty impressed straight out of the box. I was throwing b-ray and ps3 games just on some white drywall in my basement and it looked pretty solid. Streaming my files via serviio from my home server also looked great. Still wanting to look at Netflix and Directtv and 3d but didn't have them available. Normal dvd's looked just "OK".

Being a semi PQ snob (owner of a few Panasonic plasmas) it met my expectations. I knew the blacks weren't going to be super black but for an entry level bang for the buck I think this model is a great choice.

Considering most of my $ will be going into the remodeling I had to start slow with AV side of things. My next issue is trying to figure out how big I can go screen size with my limited ceiling height of 7 foot. I really want 120 but that will be breaking some of the recommended distance from floor and ceiling rules.


Just thought I'd tell you that I was concerned about our 7' ceiling with a 120" screen as well but it turned out to be no problem. We view from about 18' back most of the time but even as close as 14' it's fine. Center of view is about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen. GLAD we didn't go smaller. Hope this is helpful.

Ed

BTW, we have an Epson 3010 as well as a Viewsonic Pro8100.

Last edited by peterhenley; 07-20-2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: update
peterhenley is offline  
post #307 of 375 Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhenley View Post
What is your throw distance? You said you viewed from 18' ?
I have 17ft throw, ceiling mount and cannot get the picture down - it's huge and spills over about 2' on to side wall. - a setup I'm trying to use from my old Mitsubishi 720p. Really don't want to move the PJ forward, it would be right over sofa. Any magic solution anyone?
Of course I bought the 2030 and THEN went to the calculator, which shows my screen diag of 176"....too big.
According to the ProjectorCentral website a 176" (16:9) screen is not too big for the Epson 2030. You seem to be within the zoom range of 15' 8" - 18' 10". Are you using the zoom feature on the lens to resize your picture to fit the screen?



Or is the problem that the 2030 has no lens shift so you have to position the screen and projector exactly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epson-2030.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	171570  

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies


Last edited by Mr.G; 07-20-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Mr.G is offline  
post #308 of 375 Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cool 17' ft throw

Sorry, I meant that the calculator is dictating a 176" diagonal screen size, I only have 156" room on my proj wall with current original setup, ALTHOUGH I just realized I could maybe move the PJ mount on the ceiling over to the left 12" or so and maybe get the 176" all on front wall and not bleed over to right wall....I just didn't want to move it unless I really had to.
"Are you using the zoom feature on the lens to resize your picture to fit the screen?".........is this a secret feature or you just referring to the focus/zoom rings?


Update
I surrendered and moved the ceiling mount 24" forward and left (15' throw), now fits my wall @150" diag.
Also bought the cheapo Samsung glasses - the 3D is awesome at that size!!

Last edited by peterhenley; 07-20-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: update
peterhenley is offline  
post #309 of 375 Old 07-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
BDUB619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Reaper_SKN View Post
I'm looking for a projector for my home theatre and can't decide between the benq W1070 or optoma HD25 and the epson 2030. I'm current leaning to towards the epson 2030 because of its ease of use ,cheaper 3D glasses I can use on it. For those who had experience with the other 2 is the picture quality a big difference when comparing to the benq and optoma?
I had the Optoma and had severe problems with RBE (rainbow effect). This effect is visible and distracting to some more than others. My good friend has the BenQ W1070 and really likes it and doesn't really notice the RBE. It's a much better overall PJ than the Optoma IMO but I still see rainbows on it. I decided to go LCD and the reviews were very good for this Epson and I also liked the price point. To me, the colors seem to "pop" more with the Epson and there is absolutely no RBE with LCD. So if you or anyone in your family is susceptible to RBE, then definitely get the Epson. Plus depending on ambient light in your room, the Epson is a real light cannon and I've heard that LCD is generally brighter than DLP? Both the Epson and BenQ are top rated and you can't go wrong with either but I'd recommend save yourself the potential RBE headache and get this Epson. Plus the Epson has a 2yr replacement warranty!! No one can beat that. GL

Sony HW40es Projector / 114" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
BDUB619 is offline  
post #310 of 375 Old 07-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Newbie
 
Soul_Reaper_SKN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: South Africa
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
I had the Optoma and had severe problems with RBE (rainbow effect). This effect is visible and distracting to some more than others. My good friend has the BenQ W1070 and really likes it and doesn't really notice the RBE. It's a much better overall PJ than the Optoma IMO but I still see rainbows on it. I decided to go LCD and the reviews were very good for this Epson and I also liked the price point. To me, the colors seem to "pop" more with the Epson and there is absolutely no RBE with LCD. So if you or anyone in your family is susceptible to RBE, then definitely get the Epson. Plus depending on ambient light in your room, the Epson is a real light cannon and I've heard that LCD is generally brighter than DLP? Both the Epson and BenQ are top rated and you can't go wrong with either but I'd recommend save yourself the potential RBE headache and get this Epson. Plus the Epson has a 2yr replacement warranty!! No one can beat that. GL
Thanks for the reply . Will be going with epson seems to be a much more reliable projector .
Soul_Reaper_SKN is offline  
post #311 of 375 Old 07-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
measure your throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Reaper_SKN View Post
Thanks for the reply . Will be going with epson seems to be a much more reliable projector .

Just be sure to measure your throw distance and get your screen sized accordingly. The lens is limited in wide/tele range and this puts out a big picture.
BDUB619 likes this.
peterhenley is offline  
post #312 of 375 Old 07-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
perpetual98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhenley View Post
...The lens is limited in wide/tele range and this puts out a big picture.
True story! While I was waiting for my extension for my ceiling mount I made a temporary ceiling mount according to one of the calculators and it was about 2 feet off. Got the tube yesterday and mounted it up and it took some tweaking, but I'm pretty dialed in to my 120" screen now. Of course I have to take it down again to put a hole in my ceiling tile which I'm sure will make me require more tweaking.
perpetual98 is offline  
post #313 of 375 Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone installed a wifi "dongle"?
Wireless LAN Module (ELPAP07)
I ordered one, what do you use it for?
What is
Epson EasyMP Monitor and Network Projection software, used with it?

Last edited by peterhenley; 07-23-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: update
peterhenley is offline  
post #314 of 375 Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Senior Member
 
BDUB619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just curious what settings most of you are running on this projector? I know it's subjective but might be an interesting discussion to see what settings you have and what your environment is like? Might also help a lot of the visitors to this thread as well.

For me, my theater room is a small 10 x 14 converted bedroom, fully light controlled and walls painted black (it's a dungeon lol no ambient light). I've changed my settings 3 times in the 5 months I've owned this PJ as I was converting the room. Should also mention I used this PJ primarily for movies and video games.

1. Living Room Mode
2. Living Room Mode w/ Contrast -10
3. Cinema Mode

Started on basic "Living Room" mode and that's it, no other changes and loved it but seemed to get some periods of eye fatigue as the image was really bright. Next was "Living Room" mode and -10 on contrast, in effort to improve my black levels. Then switched to "Cinema" mode and is my current favorite. Blacks levels have really improved and colors are deeper. However, I'd recommend Cinema only if your room is really dark or for viewing at night.

Looking forward to reading your responses. Hoping to learn some setting tips also so I can tweak mine further. In all, very impressed with the HD image and 3D this PJ puts out. Unbelievable value at this price point.

Sony HW40es Projector / 114" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
BDUB619 is offline  
post #315 of 375 Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
perpetual98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My Samsung 3d glasses just arrived today. 2 of them just cross the free shipping price point with Amazon.

Right now my 2030 is hooked up to a computer and I don't have a Blu-Ray STB or PS3, but running some 3d advisor software it claims that I can push 3d from my PC. Is there anything online that I can use to test the 3d?
perpetual98 is offline  
post #316 of 375 Old 07-24-2014, 12:51 AM
Newbie
 
Soul_Reaper_SKN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: South Africa
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
My Samsung 3d glasses just arrived today. 2 of them just cross the free shipping price point with Amazon.

Right now my 2030 is hooked up to a computer and I don't have a Blu-Ray STB or PS3, but running some 3d advisor software it claims that I can push 3d from my PC. Is there anything online that I can use to test the 3d?
Search for some Lg 3D demo videos they are awesome to test 3D. Youtube has a lot of 3D demos but not sure how it works as I never streamed 3D content from Youtube
Soul_Reaper_SKN is offline  
post #317 of 375 Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
perpetual98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I did download a demo video and after some playing around, I was able to get some 3d playing. It was an SBS video about 7 minutes long. I was pretty tired and didn't play with it for long, but from what I saw it was really cool. Of course I want the best 3d experience possible, so I'm leaning towards picking up a PS3 to dip my feet in it. I don't have a lot of faith that the computer is the way to go to play it. Too many hoops to jump through.
perpetual98 is offline  
post #318 of 375 Old 07-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Member
 
NoVaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
Just curious what settings most of you are running on this projector? I know it's subjective but might be an interesting discussion to see what settings you have and what your environment is like? Might also help a lot of the visitors to this thread as well.

I used the Disney WOW Bluray to play with my settings. I am watching on a 106" screen from maybe 10 ft away in a basement with no windows. I am just a recreational AV geek, not hardcore. This is just what I came up with and I like it.

I am watching in Cinema Mode.

Brightness -2
Contrast. 0
Color Saturation -2
Tint. -5
Sharpness 2
Color Temp 0

Advanced/RGB:
Offset R 7
Offset G -4
Offset B 7
Gain R 8
Gain G 2
Gain B -3

I didn't mess with RGBCMY. Epson Super White is OFF. Power Consumption is set to ECO. Auto Iris OFF
BDUB619 likes this.
NoVaT is offline  
post #319 of 375 Old 07-26-2014, 04:56 AM
Member
 
NoVaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Need some help from the 2030 people.

Just setting up my room, it was supposed to be a dedicated theater room but in reality it's going to be a theater based family room, and here in lies my problem.
Because of the setup of the room and it's use I've got ceiling fans to contend with, and as such it is really limiting my projector placement, if I mount in front of the fan I'll be so close that I'll be limited to around 100" (according to the projectorcentral calculator) or I can mount it on the back wall, behind the fan, but it's about 22' away. Huge image, and that's fine, problem is that I would have to go fixed screen and lose the idea of a drop down, in front of my 60"xbr. Which means I would end up using the 2030 for everyday viewing, and ditching the TV entirely.
So the real question...how about it, is the 2030 able to hold up to 2-4 hrs of everyday use, or should I just settle for the smaller drop down.

I just came out of a really small place and am very accustomed to an oversized image, so the large fixed screen idea is really my first choice, just don't know how the 2030 will hold up.

Oh...drop down viewing distance is about 12', fixed screen about 16'.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
As far as "holding up", I think the only part that has a known lifespan is the bulb. One of the reasons I chose the 2030 was the bulb can be had for $100 or less and is supposed to last "up to" 5000hrs in reg mode or 6000hrs in ECO. I use ECO and it's plenty bright. I will report back on how many hrs. I get out of the bulb. I haven't had to replace it yet. Some other projectors I was looking at were $200-$400 for a bulb.

The only reason I would consider not having it as my main TV would be if it is not in a light controlled environment. If your main viewing room is a living room with lots of windows it will not look as good as a flat screen during the day.
NoVaT is offline  
post #320 of 375 Old 07-26-2014, 05:36 AM
Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaT View Post
As far as "holding up", I think the only part that has a known lifespan is the bulb. One of the reasons I chose the 2030 was the bulb can be had for $100 or less and is supposed to last "up to" 5000hrs in reg mode or 6000hrs in ECO. I use ECO and it's plenty bright. I will report back on how many hrs. I get out of the bulb. I haven't had to replace it yet. Some other projectors I was looking at were $200-$400 for a bulb.

The only reason I would consider not having it as my main TV would be if it is not in a light controlled environment. If your main viewing room is a living room with lots of windows it will not look as good as a flat screen during the day.
Ok, just had a Doooh! Moment, I should really try and think before I post...My XBR it's a DLP, I guess since this is my first projector I'm still thinking in terms of old tech.

Hmmph, I think the XBR's bulbs are over $100.

I've got pretty good light control, so that settles that, thanks, that makes a few things a lot easier.
ALtlOff is offline  
post #321 of 375 Old 07-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new Epson 2030. I don't know what setting I've messed up but every time I turn it on, the keysone is set to =15..I want it to be set to 0 everytime I turn it on. I can't find where I reset it. Can anyone help?
GraceAdler is offline  
post #322 of 375 Old 07-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Member
 
NoVaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceAdler View Post
I have a new Epson 2030. I don't know what setting I've messed up but every time I turn it on, the keysone is set to =15..I want it to be set to 0 everytime I turn it on. I can't find where I reset it. Can anyone help?
Is it the horizontal or vertical that keeps resetting to 15? There is an auto horizontal keystone adjustment that can be turned off in the settings menu under "keystone". Maybe something is screwed up with that auto adjust and it thinks it should be set at 15. Try turning that off. Other than that you can go to the bottom of the menu and use the reset all. That should restore factory settings and correct anything you may have done.
NoVaT is offline  
post #323 of 375 Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaT View Post
Is it the horizontal or vertical that keeps resetting to 15? There is an auto horizontal keystone adjustment that can be turned off in the settings menu under "keystone". Maybe something is screwed up with that auto adjust and it thinks it should be set at 15. Try turning that off. Other than that you can go to the bottom of the menu and use the reset all. That should restore factory settings and correct anything you may have done.
Thanks for your reply. I reset all last time I had it on and I didn't think it worked. I powered on today and it's back to normal.
GraceAdler is offline  
post #324 of 375 Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
perpetual98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've been loving this projector so far. Just watched Rio 2 on 3D BR rip and my daughter was actually grabbing at stuff thinking she could touch it. We both seemed to have our eyes get a little wonky during the movie, but we made it through. Mine is in a basement theater with complete light control, so that hasn't been an issue. We've run the PJ through and HTPC, a WDTV and the Xbox 360 with no issues. I've played 3D on both the PC and the WDTV in SBS. Was thinking about picking up a PS3 for actual disks.
perpetual98 is offline  
post #325 of 375 Old 07-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody have a screen suggestions for this projector? I want a fixed screen 110" 16:9. leaning towards carada, but not sure what material. any advise would be helpful.
CostlyBurrito is offline  
post #326 of 375 Old 07-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
perpetual98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm actually using a light grey king-sized sheet stretched tight over a wood frame to 120" diagonal. It's surprisingly good considering it was like $15 at Target. Probably wasn't the answer you were looking for though. LOL
joe221 likes this.
perpetual98 is offline  
post #327 of 375 Old 07-30-2014, 11:39 PM
Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've decided to just paint mine since I'll be going 180+:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=DIY-Screens
(You'll have to copy & paste, sorry)

Figure of I don't like it I'm not out that much.
ALtlOff is offline  
post #328 of 375 Old 07-31-2014, 03:34 AM
Member
 
NoVaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
I've decided to just paint mine since I'll be going 180+:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=DIY-Screens
(You'll have to copy & paste, sorry)

Figure of I don't like it I'm not out that much.
I was surprised at how good the picture looked on the wall before I hung my screen. Had I not gotten a free screen with the projector I would have painted the wall.
NoVaT is offline  
post #329 of 375 Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
BDUB619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CostlyBurrito View Post
Anybody have a screen suggestions for this projector? I want a fixed screen 110" 16:9. leaning towards carada, but not sure what material. any advise would be helpful.
I ordered the Carls DIY screen / blackout cloth off Amazon for ~$55. Very happy with it, I just tacked it to the wall and framed it. Looks very nice and the material produces a great picture.

You may also be able to find black out cloth at your local fabric store and buy it by the yard.

Sony HW40es Projector / 114" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619

Last edited by BDUB619; 07-31-2014 at 10:08 AM.
BDUB619 is offline  
post #330 of 375 Old 08-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Dagg21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just getting back to this thread now that i am swinging a remote and not a hammer/paint brush or trowel. I am very pleased with my purchase of the 2030 3d looks good, and streaming movies (1080p and 720p) is fantastic. Been playing alot of lego games with my son and simply awesome for gaming(keep in mind not playing anything twitchy).

As for screen suggestions well I picked up an amazing Stewart Firehawk screen fixed 110' on my local craigslist.

Keep in mind this is a grey screen and performs much better with some light on that a white screen would but depends on your room and how you plan to use it. For movies its pitch black but for gaming i use ambient light behind the projector.

I got so lucky to get such an expensive screen or so cheap and in pristine condition. It looks amazing will post some pics this weekend. My only dislike about the projector is you have to fumble into 3d and fumble your way back via the menus. I wish it just autodetected it going back and forth like my tvs do. Maybe thats just me cause I am streaming 3d I am not sure.

Devices I have hooked to the projector:
ps3 for games/media center, ps4, yamaha receiver, and direct tv hd box.

Last edited by Dagg21; 08-01-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Dagg21 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030 3lcd Projector , 3lcd Projector 2200 Lumens

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off