post #361 of 375 Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewhy View Post
I'm shopping for glasses, how can I tell what's compatible with this projector? From what I understand there are two types of 3d RF glasses, how do I tell the difference between the two and know which ones will be compatible?

What are best low cost 3d glasses for this projector? Are the Samsung SSG-5100's good?
I have the 5100s and they are just fine.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a question not sure if anyone can help or give me some opinions but figured I'd ask I bought the Benq W1070 last week and I like it picture is great but last night at my local futureshop in canada they had the Epson 2030 marked down from $949.99 plus taxes $1079.14 to a crazy low price of $549 plus taxes $627.14 so I did an instore reserve and now I'm trying to decide if I should return the benq for it the benq cost me $966.13 taxes included I would be saving myself $338.99 just not sure if it would be just as good or what. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with both and if they are both just as good. Don't have the funds right now to buy and do I side by side for myself wish I did would make things easier.

Last edited by TorturEd; 09-24-2014 at 07:47 AM.
post #363 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorturEd View Post
Have a question not sure if anyone can help or give me some opinions but figured I'd ask I bought the Benq W1070 last week and I like it picture is great but last night at my local futureshop in canada they had the Epson 2030 marked down from $949.99 plus taxes $1079.14 to a crazy low price of $549 plus taxes $627.14 so I did an instore reserve and now I'm trying to decide if I should return the benq for it the benq cost me $966.13 taxes included I would be saving myself $338.99 just not sure if it would be just as good or what. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with both and if they are both just as good. Don't have the funds right now to buy and do I side by side for myself wish I did would make things easier.
I've done side by side comparisons of both projectors. The Epson has a small advantage in color and brightness. The Benq is sharper, has a lot less motion blur, and a much lower black level. Stay with the Benq.
post #364 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
As Ben38 mentioned, with the BenQ you'll get slightly deeper blacks/contrast and motion blur is slightly reduced vs the Epson. However the Epson will give you brighter colors and IMO a slightly sharper image. You'll win with either one and won't see that much difference unless they're side by side as they're very comparable. I'd go with the Epson because it'll save you $338, has a 2 year next day replacement warranty, lamps are only $99 and with LCD there's no "rainbow effect" that some people are sensitive to with DLP.

Sony HW40es Projector / 114" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
post #365 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
As Ben38 mentioned, with the BenQ you'll get slightly deeper blacks/contrast and motion blur is slightly reduced vs the Epson. However the Epson will give you brighter colors and IMO a slightly sharper image. You'll win with either one and won't see that much difference unless they're side by side as they're very comparable. I'd go with the Epson because it'll save you $338, has a 2 year next day replacement warranty, lamps are only $99 and with LCD there's no "rainbow effect" that some people are sensitive to with DLP.

Ok thanks for the info my last question would be hows the epson for gaming I know the benq works fine I see no lag at all while playing my xbox one or ps4 and I know there's a difference in the lag input the benq is around 24ms and the epson is 100ms in fine mode which is very bad I read and in fast mode it is around 34ms but I read a couple places fast mode drops the resolution to 720p is this true.
post #366 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info my last question would be hows the epson for gaming I know the benq works fine I see no lag at all while playing my xbox one or ps4 and I know there's a difference in the lag input the benq is around 24ms and the epson is 100ms in fine mode which is very bad I read and in fast mode it is around 34ms but I read a couple places fast mode drops the resolution to 720p is this true.
I use my Epson primarily for gaming and watching movies, so lag is important to me. When I play offline I play in fine mode as this gives me the sharpest image. When I play online shooters or racing I play in FAST mode as this lowers the lag. FAST mode will make the image a little fuzzy/less sharp, but it's still in 1080P. If you sit close to your screen you'll see a difference between fine and fast mode, but if you sit back more than 10', you probably won't notice it. GL

Sony 70" W830B LED TV
post #367 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 169
The contrast/black-level difference is real world measured around 1-to-4 (Epson under 400:1, Benq~1500:1) and there's a pretty big difference if you watch in a darker room. That's a bigger visual difference than going from the w1070 up to a 5030/6030 which is about 3X-4X better than the Benq!
The difference will be smaller if you watch/play with a lot of light washing the image, but even then the contrast advantage could mean slightly less washed-out dark scenes.

You wouldn't have to choose between full clarity or lower lag because the DLP gives both at once. You may not get $99 lamps, but your lamp-life will average about 2X-3X longer with the Benq according to user-reported lamp change times..so if you count lamp longevity the Benq lamps are even cheaper.

You get a decent amount of better qualities staying with your w1070, but that IS a tempting price if you tend to use it in plenty of light.

You'll also want to take into account that the 2030/2000 will need to be mounted farther back and either slightly below the screen's top (if ceiling mounted) or slightly above the screen's bottom (if set low).

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-24-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #368 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The contrast/black-level difference is real world measured around 1-to-4 (Epson under 400:1, Benq~1500:1) and there's a pretty big difference if you watch in a darker room. That's a bigger visual difference than going from the w1070 up to a 5030/6030 which is about 4X better than the Benq!
The difference will be smaller if you watch/play with a lot of light washing the image, but even then the contrast advantage could mean slightly less washed-out dark scenes.

You wouldn't have to choose between full clarity or lower lag because the DLP gives both at once. You may not get $99 lamps, but your lamp-life will average about 2X-3X longer with the Benq according to user-reported lamp change times..so if you count lamp longevity the Benq lamps are even cheaper.

You get a decent amount of better qualities staying with your w1070, but that IS a tempting price if you tend to use it in plenty of light.
It is very tempting but still not sure I don't use my projector in light at all I have everything set up in my basement with no windows.
post #369 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Assuming you can get past the mounting differences (Epson needs to be farther back and quite a bit lower from the ceiling), would it be easy enough to try the Epson in the basement before your return runs out on the Benq?

I know the deeper contrast will make a big difference in the dark, but only YOU can say whether you really care that much about it.

One more difference (big if you sit fairly close) is pixel-fill-ratio/"screendoor", which you might see on the 2030/2000 if you sit pretty close, use a large size or are just easily bothered by visible pixel-gaps. Obviously Epson is doing alright so there's plenty of users that aren't bothered by it (quite possible they don't even see/notice), but it's another thing that you'll need to see for yourself at home or in the store if they have a live-model.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-24-2014 at 02:26 PM.
post #370 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Assuming you can get past the mounting differences (Epson needs to be farther back and quite a bit lower from the ceiling), would it be easy enough to try the Epson in the basement before your return runs out on the Benq?

I know the deeper contrast will make a big difference in the dark, but only YOU can say whether you really care that much about it.
Thats the thing I can't really try the Epson before I take back the Benq because I don't have the cash right now to do that I would need to take the benq back and get the epson with that money I wish I could do it that way. So your saying the epson would have a big difference in my basement ? The mounting isn't an issue but one of my concerns is about gaming lag I know BDUB619 says it's fine with gaming in fast mode but the picture does degrade some and I know this doesn't happen with the benq at all I'm really torn on one hand I could get back $339 in my pocket but on the other hand I wish I could see the epson in person first. The main thing I use the projector for is gaming on my ps4 and xbox one and movies.

Last edited by TorturEd; 09-24-2014 at 02:31 PM.
post #371 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 02:49 PM

Couple things...

True, the Epson has slight "screen door effect" from pixel fill but you'll only see it if you're within 3 feet of the screen and looking for it so it's basically not an issue.

My friend has the BenQ and I have the Epson, we both agree both PJ's are a great value for the price point. Slight advantages with each but both are great entry level projectors. That said, the BenQ has out-sold the Epson but has also been out longer.

I looked at the BenQ myself but I am sensitive to RBE so single wheel DLP is not for me. The Epson was less expensive and 3LCD so was the wiser choice. I've been very happy with my Epson and no regrets. Games, movies, 3D all look fantastic on it.

As for lamps, the BenQ is rated at 3K-5K hours depending on which mode you use, the Epson is 5K-6K, slight advantage Epson. Projector warranty is 1 year BenQ, 2 Years Epson.

So again, you'll win with either one. Just depends on your environment, where you're going to mount the projector and how much money you want to spend. Projector Central has great reviews and details on both, might want to check there and do a little more research before making a decision. GL

Sony 70" W830B LED TV
post #372 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Stick with the BenQ since you already have it or you will be second guessing yourself. I have the Epson HC2000 (coming up on 1700 hours and no lamp/bulb issues) and for months I have been second guessing myself until this past weekend when I saw the BenQ W1070 in action for three hours. I was not blown away by it. It has a great image but so does the Epson. My wife and I noticed no difference...she said the Epson had better color, but I didn't see it. (I had her sold on the BenQ as a birthday present for me until we saw it in action.)

But here is the but...my Epson's fast mode leaves a lot to be desired and if I was using a projector mainly for gaming, I'd go with the BenQ. The image really does suffer when you go from fine to fast.

So the question is $99 verses $249 for a replacement lamp and the $339 you will save right off the bat. Our Epson stays on five hours a weekday and probably 10 or much more on the weekend days. It will be a year old in November, so lets say 2000 hours a year and if the lamp's brightness loses 50% by hour 3000, that would put me replacing a lamp every two years at around 4000 hours. The cost would be $125 a year on the BenQ verses $50 for the Epson for a $75 dollar difference....plus the $339. So you save $400 in two years.

I would still stick with the BenQ if I was mainly gaming unless I was doing 3 or 4 thousand hours of gaming a year.
post #373 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used to own DLP projector, Optoma GT750e before I upgraded to Epson 2030. Aside from the sharper image and more 3D deep colors, I also noticed watching 3D in Epson doesn't strain my eyes as compared to Optoma. I guess that's a general side effect with DLP 3Ds. In fact I could hardly read when you suddenly want to remove 3D glasses while watching. My eyes were more strained and I have dizziness after. With Epson's 3D glasses (aside from the fact that they're cheaper) it's like just wearing ordinary goggles and I don't feel dizziness reverting to 2D after watching 3D for hours.

Has anyone got similar experience? I'm not sure. Maybe I'm the only one who has the condition.
BDUB619 likes this.
post #374 of 375 Old 09-24-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The contrast/black-level in the dark basement and the full-quality and low-lag gaming and forum users reporting 6000hour lamp-usage (I believe it's fairly common for the 2000/2030 lamp to get replaced between 1500-2500hours..check this thread)..it's more a bunch of smaller things than any single HUGE difference, but it's a decent collection for your specific case of gaming and lights-out use.

The Epson costs less (in your region), has cheaper lamps when you need them and has a longer warranty.

Also, though some won't see the screendoor, others will. I unfortunately see Epson's screendoor on 1080 models from farther than 1:1 (even the 5030 on a tiny 90" screen from 8-10ft back is visible) ..so it depends on the person. I'm better with a particularly well-pixel-filled 720p model than any Epson LCD and can only be thankful that I'm not particularly rainbow-sensitive since close seats are great.
I still can't imagine anyone who's sitting around 1:1.5 or farther having any problems though..and certain games work better with a farther ratio anyway. There's also a chance the glasses were to blame.

To bladecutter, I don't notice any strain after/during 3D use with my DLP, but it might be different for different people..I've heard even those who are rainbow-sensitive have had good luck with DLP 3D, so it seems random.

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-25-2014 at 01:22 AM.
post #375 of 375 Old 09-25-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
But here is the but...my Epson's fast mode leaves a lot to be desired and if I was using a projector mainly for gaming, I'd go with the BenQ. The image really does suffer when you go from fine to fast.
For the sake of this discussion, I tried FINE vs FAST mode again last night, first time I've tried FAST mode in a couple months actually. Demoed using XBOX ONE and FORZA 5 (now that I think about it, I should have taken pics). I have to admit, the image looked pretty bad in FAST mode vs FINE mode. Noticable degradation in picture quality and A LOT more jagged lines and aliasing that is not present in FINE mode. Even color quality seemed to suffer. I wouldn't doubt it was kicked down to 720P resolution either. Good thing I hardly ever use FAST mode since I'm usually watching movies or playing games offline where lag isn't a huge issue so I keep it in FINE mode. I am not satisfied with the quality of the FAST mode image.

So, if you’re primarily using the PJ for gaming and mostly online gaming, stick with the BenQ.

To Bladecutter - I had an Optoma HD131xe DLP and had the same problems. I would get headaches and eye strain after 30min of watching. I also suffered from RBE. I have not had any of these issues with the Epson.
bladecutter_ph likes this.

Sony 70" W830B LED TV
post #376 of 375 Old 09-26-2014, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
First - FAST vs FINE. Yes, there is a difference. Especially if you go back and forth to compare. That said, once you get 5 minutes into the game, you don't see it any longer. Lag on FAST is super low. Measurements on reviews show it less then many DLP projectors.

Second - I was working through a similar decision when I purchased my 2000. I decided against the DLP because, when I have friends over watching games or movies, some might see rainbows. It wasn't worth it to have others possibly seeing rainbows with the DLP.

I LOVE my Epson 2000. And for ~$600 out the door? That's a no-brainer in my book.
BDUB619 likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030 3lcd Projector , 3lcd Projector 2200 Lumens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page