The Offical Epson 2030 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2015, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Right ... IIRC there are only two choices in 3D mode: 3D-Cinema and 3D-Dynamic. Both probably default to "normal" lamp brightness.
Success! I was able to play around with the 3D this morning and Eco mode is definitely selectable in 3D-Cinema and 3D-Dynamic. Fan noise dropped instantly when I selected Eco. Time will tell if the screen brightness is ok but on first pass with a fairly dark movie (Prometheus) it seems quite acceptable in a dark room. I'm using 3D-Dynamic in Eco mode but will try some time with 3D-Cinema as well to see if I'm still ok with the brightness.

Appreciate the feedback everyone and this 2030 is definitely a keeper! Now on to the basement reno's.... Sigh.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Right ... IIRC there are only two choices in 3D mode: 3D-Cinema and 3D-Dynamic. Both probably default to "normal" lamp brightness.
Yes both modes default to Normal however you can switch to eco
Old 01-28-2015, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will Sony TDG-BT500A Active 3D Glasses work for our Epson projector? I have three Samsung SSG-5100GB 3D glasses already, and still want to add more.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Blade
Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladecutter_ph View Post
Will Sony TDG-BT500A Active 3D Glasses work for our Epson projector? I have three Samsung SSG-5100GB 3D glasses already, and still want to add more.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Blade
Why not the Sammy 5150?

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
Old 01-28-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
Why not the Sammy 5150?
Not available here in my country at the moment. The Sony glasses are the ones in the store.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not available here in my country at the moment. The Sony glasses are the ones in the store.
Why not Amazon?

Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joudbren View Post
I can get a Benq W1070 on sale currently... is the fan noise any different on the Benq?
How does the W1070 compare to the Epson 2030 overall? Is there an existing discussion thread?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx View Post
How does the W1070 compare to the Epson 2030 overall? Is there an existing discussion thread?

Yes there are but I think this sums it up: http://www.projectorcentral.com/best...under-1000.htm .

Epson: 2 yr warranty (Epson is known for customer service), $99 dollar replacement lamp, LCD (no rainbows), filter and no light leakage, not as sharp and fast motion isn't as good

BenQ: 1 yr warranty, $200 plus dollar replacement lamp, rainbows (for some viewers), handles motion better, slightly better contrast and better black levels, sharper image, light leakage, some reported dust in light path, better for gaming with less lag time. This is the number one pick on this forum at under a $1000.

I have the Epson HC2000 and at 14 months/2300 plus hours on the lamp, it hasn't cost me a dime in lamps or filters.

For about the same money, the Epson HC8345 provides better blacks/contrast. This shows the difference in Epsons from a few years ago, and I would put my Epson HC2000 at a little better than the first projector: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Yr1lvVUW83U. The 8345 and 8350 are similar projectors just as the 2000 and 2030 are.

Last edited by steve1106; 01-29-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: late night mistakes
Old 01-30-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Guys. Just wanted to check out this thread and introduce myself again.

It's been a while since I have been on here. In the last year my Optoma GT720 DMD chip went bad. I finally saved up for a new projector and did lots of research. Anyway I finally pulled the trigger and got the Epson 2030. Hopefully I made the right choice. I get it tomorrow. I will have to mount it back further and it will be lower, but hopefully it will work out. I looked at Optoma HD25-LV, GT1080, various BENQ and various Viewsonic models, but decided to go LCD this time. I kind of was a bit bitter about the DMD chip going bad so soon.

I will be using the same wall that I painted with Behr Silver Screen. Hopefully it will work with this projector. I should really get a screen because the wall is not the smoothest. I am the only one who notices it though.

The projector will be used mainly for Directv and movies HD/3D. I will play video games with it as well, but I am not a hardcore gamer. My family has been missing movie night so it will be nice if this projector works out and I can watch the Super Bowl on it as well this weekend.

Last edited by subzerobear; 01-30-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Really looking hard at the Epson - PowerLite Home Cinema 2030 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector. There are a few different deals out there. I have been waffling back and forth. Here are the deals. I can get an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2030 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector with a free Logitech - Harmony Ultimate One 15-Device Universal Remote - Black retail $249.99 for $799.99 total. The other deal is Buy Epson HE 2030 Get Epson Duet Screen Free which is a
Epson Duet 80" Diagonal Portable Tripod Projector Screen valued at $149.99. I am really not sure about the one with the screen because I have not seen what it would look like. I am really not sure I need a remote as well. Not sure what to do. LOL Any input?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1521 View Post
Really looking hard at the Epson - PowerLite Home Cinema 2030 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector. There are a few different deals out there. I have been waffling back and forth. Here are the deals. I can get an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2030 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector with a free Logitech - Harmony Ultimate One 15-Device Universal Remote - Black retail $249.99 for $799.99 total. The other deal is Buy Epson HE 2030 Get Epson Duet Screen Free which is a
Epson Duet 80" Diagonal Portable Tripod Projector Screen valued at $149.99. I am really not sure about the one with the screen because I have not seen what it would look like. I am really not sure I need a remote as well. Not sure what to do. LOL Any input?
Personally, I'd go for option number one. I love the 2030 but the Harmony Ultimate remote would be a BIG upgrade over the included remote - especially being able to see what your doing in the dark (for example switching to 3D mode etc).

As far as the screen goes, I'm not sure what your situation is but a fixed screen will give you a much better surface to project onto than a portable screen. You get get pretty good ones for about 300 USD (100" and up) from EliteScreens or SilverTicket.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...2+fixed+screen

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CYLOTPK?psc=1
Old 01-31-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post
Personally, I'd go for option number one. I love the 2030 but the Harmony Ultimate remote would be a BIG upgrade over the included remote - especially being able to see what your doing in the dark (for example switching to 3D mode etc).

As far as the screen goes, I'm not sure what your situation is but a fixed screen will give you a much better surface to project onto than a portable screen. You get get pretty good ones for about 300 USD (100" and up) from EliteScreens or SilverTicket.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...2+fixed+screen

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CYLOTPK?psc=1
I hear ya. I would like to get it today, however. I would need to get a screen for tomorrows Superbowl. Damn I should have seen these deals a lot earlier than now lol.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I hear ya. I would like to get it today, however. I would need to get a screen for tomorrows Superbowl. Damn I should have seen these deals a lot earlier than now lol.
What color are your walls? I moved about a month ago and am still blasting my 2030 right onto my apartment beige walls because I haven't gotten around to working on a screen yet. With light control and enough beers, your guests won't notice.

A Walmart king-sized flat sheet and some thumb tacks would work in a pinch too.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I purchased my Epson 2030 from Best Buy with the free remote. Loving the combo so far. I was able to pick up a 100 inch 16X9 screen at Fry's Electronics. I know Best Buy sells some screens too but a bit overpriced when compared to Elite Screens on Amazon.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:26 PM

I bought the Epson 2030 yesterday. So far so good. I am just wondering if anyone has calibrated it and what are all the settings for each mode. I know each mode is a preference but what would everyone think is the best mode for watching football. Specifically the Super Bowl tonight? I have the Epson Duet Ultra Portable Projector Screen. I got it in a pinch and its not bad. I want the optimal settings for the projector with this screen. If there are any. lol Thanks.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:42 PM

Blu ray player audio problem

This is my setup. I have my Directv receiver hooked up via HDMI to my AV receiver. Then HDMI from AV receiver to HDMI 2 output on the Epson 2030 projector. Then I have my Blu ray player connected to the HDMI 1 output on my projector. Now here is the problem. When I turn everything on then I go to play a blu ray it shuts off the AV receiver and the sounds comes out of the Projector speaker. I then click on HDMI link on the remote and switch from projector to AV receiver speakers. Then all the sudden it goes wacky. It plays out of projector and the AV receiver at the same time. Then the sound drops out and doesnt play any sound. If you wait a bit then you can hear sound. There is a major conflict going on that I cannot figure out. Anyone have a solution? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
This is my setup. I have my Directv receiver hooked up via HDMI to my AV receiver. Then HDMI from AV receiver to HDMI 2 output on the Epson 2030 projector. Then I have my Blu ray player connected to the HDMI 1 output on my projector. Now here is the problem. When I turn everything on then I go to play a blu ray it shuts off the AV receiver and the sounds comes out of the Projector speaker. I then click on HDMI link on the remote and switch from projector to AV receiver speakers. Then all the sudden it goes wacky. It plays out of projector and the AV receiver at the same time. Then the sound drops out and doesnt play any sound. If you wait a bit then you can hear sound. There is a major conflict going on that I cannot figure out. Anyone have a solution? Thanks.
Just thinking aloud here and of the top of my head but...... should the set up go like this? blue ray to av - av to projector? or is it different for hdmi?
Old 02-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 94
First, what little pebble said is what you should do...but,

How is the blu-ray player sound getting to your AVR. You have the AVR coming in to the projector's HDMI input 2 with the direct audio/video signal and the blu-ray player audio/video coming in on HDMI input 1.

On mine, I kept it simple (well complicated) and use the projector's HDMI input 1 for Comcast and the HDMI input 2 for blu-ray. I then have the two devices feed audio directly to the 7.2 AVR via optical and digital cables (no HDMI). When I turn on my Blu-ray player, it automatically switches the projector from the HDMI 1 input to input 2. The AVR continues to play the audio for the HDMI 1 until I switch it on the AVR. * I do it this way in order to have a signal directly from the projector's audio out for my four pairs of wireless headphones (and a 2.1 system for gaming) without cutting the AVR's audio.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I got that screen for my 2030. It was $115 + tax from Ammy. I can't position my screen far enough back to truly fill it. I have a large though not dedicated to the projector living room. It's big and clunky and sometimes difficult to lock in the open wide position. Still, it delivers a beautiful image with the 2030. No height adjustment bothers me the most, I think. It is high.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Blu Ray HDMI out to receiver, Directv HDMI out to receiver, receiver HDMI out to projector. Use the receiver to switch between components.
Yodabutt likes this.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:54 PM

Is Samsung 3D Glasses SSG-4100GB same with SSG-5100GB? The latter is only 16 USD while 4100GB costs 24USD.

These are cheap but reliable 3D glasses for our Epson toy.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:31 AM

blu ray question

toshiba dbp-5300 player

when i check the native resolution of input from the menu bar , its says 480 component although it is connected via hdmi cable. the picture looks good but is it really at 480...

anyone else have something similiar happen?
Old 02-10-2015, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pebble View Post
blu ray question

toshiba dbp-5300 player

when i check the native resolution of input from the menu bar , its says 480 component although it is connected via hdmi cable. the picture looks good but is it really at 480...

anyone else have something similiar happen?
Are you playing a DVD or a Bluray disk? Even over HDMI the signal is only as good as the material. You may be able to turn on upscaling on the player to make the DVD's play at 1080 but it still will not look like a Bluray. If it's a Bluray showing 480 I am not sure what to tell you. I have actually played some 480p Wii on the projector and it definitely looks kinda, meh. I would not say it looks "good". Is there another 1080p source you can connect to see if it also shows as 480 component?

I tried to search that model to take a look at the manual but couldn't find anything that was not in Japanese.

Last edited by NoVaT; 02-10-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 PM

Yeah i tried anthor player and it says input resolution; 1080 but i don't think i could tell the difference between the two..

anyway i think i will stick with the later..
Old 02-18-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got the epson 2030 a week ago and had some time in the last few days to get it up and running and test it out. Picture looks pretty good but I'm getting uneven brightness, like a quarter of the left side has better contrast than the rest of the image. When it is a dark movie scene it's really noticeable. Would this be a faulty unit? Shows up on test pattern too. Like on test pattern, it's darker blue on left side than right side of image, and also the top of image has a slight bow downwards. Projector is level and straight.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 PM

bow at bottom and aliasing

currently projecting approx. 89" diag from 8'3" screen is flat and level have a 1/2" bow at bottom top and sides are straight also test pattern circle shows a lot of stair stepping on circle focus seems fine moving pictures seem a little soft am I expecting too much from this little bad boy first projector
Old 02-21-2015, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troxell431 View Post
currently projecting approx. 89" diag from 8'3" screen is flat and level have a 1/2" bow at bottom top and sides are straight also test pattern circle shows a lot of stair stepping on circle focus seems fine moving pictures seem a little soft am I expecting too much from this little bad boy first projector
I'm beginning to think the same thing. Might be exchanging mine for the epson 3000. Don't know yet.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMC12345 View Post
I'm beginning to think the same thing. Might be exchanging mine for the epson 3000. Don't know yet.
i had the same thing happen too... thought about sending it back then read somewhere the projector might at an angle, (what looks straight may not be) and fair enough moving the projector around sorted the problem out.

Try the projector somewhere else.... on a wall or somewhere you can get an image and the bow might not be there..
Old 02-27-2015, 06:49 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
I bought the Epson 2030 yesterday. So far so good. I am just wondering if anyone has calibrated it and what are all the settings for each mode. I know each mode is a preference but what would everyone think is the best mode for watching football. Specifically the Super Bowl tonight? I have the Epson Duet Ultra Portable Projector Screen. I got it in a pinch and its not bad. I want the optimal settings for the projector with this screen. If there are any. lol Thanks.
I also would like to know this as well..I went and signed up on projector central, but it does not give me the option to be a "paid member", to see the calibration settings!!
Old 03-14-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Is Samsung 3D Glasses SSG-4100GB same with SSG-5100GB? The latter is only 16 USD while 4100GB costs 24USD.

These are cheap but reliable 3D glasses for our Epson toy.
Yes, they will work. What's nice is Epson used the same standard Bluetooth 3D glasses as the TVs, (Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony) so they should all should work although some may have more features.

That's why I bought an Epson 2000 projector so my existing 3D glasses work. Just got it a couple of days ago. First projector and I am very impressed just showing against a wall. I don't think I'm going to bother buying a screen and I can't seem to see any difference if I use the keystone. 3d is so much better when the image is so large. I used Samsung and LG glasses. Both worked fine.

I wish there wasn't any fan noise but its not too bad in Eco mode. Do people actually just show it against a wall as a permanent setup? I don't see the point of getting a screen except maybe getting a nice border.

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030 3lcd Projector , 3lcd Projector 2200 Lumens