The Offical Epson 2030 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #541 of 574 Old 07-31-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
So either people aren't seeing the curve, or maybe don't worry about it?
Option 3: (For some reason ) still haven't gotten around "perfecting" their installations? My 2030 does have a bit of a bow at the bottom of the screen, but I can somewhat reduce (and reorient) said bow by adjusting the PJ mounting alignment. For now, my AV/HT motto is, "Don't worry be happy, or at least sort of content, or at the very, very least not *totally* miserable." (133)
pittsoccer33 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 574 Old 07-31-2015, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
For now, my AV/HT motto is, "Don't worry be happy, or at least sort of content, or at the very, very least not *totally* miserable." (133)
Not a bad philosophy actually
post #543 of 574 Old 08-03-2015, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if the Sony TDG-BT400A 3D glasses would work with the 2030?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-TDG-BT500.../dp/B00H1FSG8A

Cheers,
Zoltrix
Finally worked it out. They do work, you need to hold the ON switch in the middle of the glasses for a few seconds for them to sync with the projector. Previously I was just tapping the ON button.

Was also wondering, those of you who have the 2030 permanently mounted, do you worry about closing the lens cover when not in use?
Yodabutt likes this.
post #544 of 574 Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Was also wondering, those of you who have the 2030 permanently mounted, do you worry about closing the lens cover when not in use?
Worry? Overrated. That being said, I do close the lens cover when the PJ is not in use ... seems like the right thing to do. Although, one could argue that there's a risk of upsetting the alignment, focus a/o zoom settings. Still, my vote is that the benefits outweigh the risks. (136)
post #545 of 574 Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
While I don't have the 2030, I do have the 2000. I never mess with closing the cover for the reasons HDTV mentioned. So far no issues and it has been up since the last week of November 2013.
post #546 of 574 Old 08-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Mount for Epson 2030 on a Slanted Ceiling

Hey Guys,

So I just purchased an Epson 2030 for my new media room. The media room is 17 ft long and 13.5 ft wide. The ceiling is slanted in the middle with a soffit area around all walls except the screen wall. The tallest height of the slanted area is 9 ft and the lowest height is 8 1/8 ft. The height to the soffit area is 8 1/8 ft from the floor. I have determined that the family and I would prefer no bigger than a 100 inch screen in the room. I have temporarily positioned the pj the distance away from the screen to fill a 100 inch screen.

What brand of mount would you recommend? I obviously need one that has a cathedral bracket (due to ceiling slant) and an extension pole (due to pj's throw distance and off set). I have seen several of the lower priced ones on Amazon that have the cathedral bracket and extension like the VideoSecu below (I cant post links yet). I have also seen a kits from Chief and Peerless, but they are close to or over $200.

VideoSecu
VideoSecu LCD/DLP Projector Vaulted Ceiling Mount Bracket with 22.4-Inch Extension Pole - Black PJ2B 1C9

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

jbud55
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Media Room.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	868570  

Last edited by jbud55; 08-05-2015 at 02:55 PM.
post #547 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 01:37 PM

Liked: 0
So I got a pretty good deal on the 2030 at bestbuy $650 so i figured I'd give it a shot...My concern now after reading through the threads is it looks like nt ceiling height may hinder me a bit, my specs below.

Ceiling Height: 8ft
Screen size (thinking): 100in
PJ distance to screen: I can place it in the range epson's calc recommends between 8'11 - 10-11 (in front of seating)

I'd really like not to use keystone to correct, would someone be able to tell me the drop I would need for my setup? Or any advise on what to do
post #548 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbud55 View Post
What brand of mount would you recommend?
I wouldn't skimp on the projector mount. I purchased a decent quality one via the installers who installed mine (http://www.easytv.com.au/CAL-PM01W), but it has no adjustment vertically, and that was a bit of a problem as the 2030 has no lens shift. I'd be getting one that has as many vertical adjustments as possible.

I had to tilt the projector down slightly to line up with the screen properly, though as you can see in the picture below you can't really notice it has been tilted:

http://i.imgur.com/Q2t7uFy.jpg

Because of the slight tilt, also had to use a tiny bit of keystoning, which I wanted to avoid, but honestly can't notice any impact on the image quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat4_u@yahoo.com View Post
I'd really like not to use keystone to correct, would someone be able to tell me the drop I would need for my setup? Or any advise on what to do
Do you already have a screen that you are lining up the projector with?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Q2t7uFy.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	872378  

Last edited by Zoltrix; 08-05-2015 at 09:14 PM.
post #549 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Because of the slight tilt, also had to use a tiny bit of keystoning, which I wanted to avoid, but honestly can't notice any impact on the image quality.

I have on order the 100in Silver Ticket screen, i've just displaying on the flat wall
post #550 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ For 100" diagonal screen, one should figure on at least 16.5" drop from ceiling to the base of the PJ (18.5" from ceiling to center of the lens,) even more if you want to avoid front-row-neck-kink-syndrome. As always, YMMV. (138...)
post #551 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
^^^ For 100" diagonal screen, one should figure on at least 16.5" drop from ceiling to the base of the PJ (18.5" from ceiling to center of the lens,) even more if you want to avoid front-row-neck-kink-syndrome. As always, YMMV. (138...)

SHOOT!! Guess this projector is going back as the PJ is infront of seating. Thought i got a good prices sucks!
post #552 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
SHOOT!! Guess this projector is going back as the PJ is infront of seating. Thought i got a good prices sucks!

First, why are you going with such a small screen? Second, the projector needs to be mounted 6 to 8 inches below the top of the image, so you can't make the projector work in a room with a 8 foot ceiling???

While I have a 9 foot ceiling, I have mine mounted down 18 inches because of the beam and we don't notice it at all, but it is directly above where we sit and the image is 169inches.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	backwall 002a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	871858  
post #553 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
So I got a pretty good deal on the 2030 at bestbuy $650 so i figured I'd give it a shot...My concern now after reading through the threads is it looks like nt ceiling height may hinder me a bit, my specs below.

Ceiling Height: 8ft
Screen size (thinking): 100in
PJ distance to screen: I can place it in the range epson's calc recommends between 8'11 - 10-11 (in front of seating)

Return it. The 2040 comes out at the end of August.
steve1106 likes this.
post #554 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw85 View Post

After reading the press release, I agree with return it.
post #555 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
First, why are you going with such a small screen? Second, the projector needs to be mounted 6 to 8 inches below the top of the image, so you can't make the projector work in a room with a 8 foot ceiling???

While I have a 9 foot ceiling, I have mine mounted down 18 inches because of the beam and we don't notice it at all, but it is directly above where we sit and the image is 169inches.
Reason for the 100in screen is because space constraints with a blukhead.

My furniture is 12-18ft from the screen so the projector is in front of seating, so dropping the projector more than 11-12inches i think would be a boar.
post #556 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw85 View Post
Wonder if they'll be released internationally? I can't find any specific info.
post #557 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't skimp on the projector mount. I purchased a decent quality one via the installers who installed mine (http://www.easytv.com.au/CAL-PM01W), but it has no adjustment vertically, and that was a bit of a problem as the 2030 has no lens shift. I'd be getting one that has as many vertical adjustments as possible.

I had to tilt the projector down slightly to line up with the screen properly, though as you can see in the picture below you can't really notice it has been tilted:

http://i.imgur.com/Q2t7uFy.jpg

Thanks for the link to your mount. Unfortunately, I do know that I will need an extension pole or other way to drop the projector down from the ceiling. I do have a screen already in mind. It is the Silver Ticket 100 from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A330XBNPFIPBVL

I have read several articles that say to mount the projector first, but that seems really backwards to me. So I am ordering the screen first.

I am now leaning toward just going with the Chief RPAU mount
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/RPAU

and Chief Angled Bracket
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMA395

I just need on how to do the extension pole. I have read I can go to HomeDepot and get a standard pole cut to size... not sure about that.
Here is a pic of the image thrown up on the media room wall last night. The pic was taken with my phone so its not the best. The walls are a dark brown and the pj is just sitting on top of boxes on the couch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150804_224044.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	872402  
post #558 of 574 Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
and Chief Angled Bracket
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMA395

I just need on how to do the extension pole. I have read I can go to HomeDepot and get a standard pole cut to size... not sure about that.
Here is a pic of the image thrown up on the media room wall last night. The pic was taken with my phone so its not the best. The walls are a dark brown and the pj is just sitting on top of boxes on the couch.
According the the Chief website you can buy the extension pole to fit the angled bracket:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Series/Extension-Adjustable

It has 1" increments, would that suit?
post #559 of 574 Old 08-06-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
According the the Chief website you can buy the extension pole to fit the angled bracket:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Series/Extension-Adjustable

It has 1" increments, would that suit?
Yeah, I have been looking at them. I need to get my screen up and then I will be able to tell accurately where my pj will need to be mounted. Right now, by just eyballing it, I think I would need to get the 12-18. I don't want to spend $65-$75 on a pole and have it mess up everything. Thats why I was thinking I could got to the hardware store and use a generic pole. After looking at the full line up of Chief extension poles you sent, I will go that route after I know for sure what the height needs to be.
post #560 of 574 Old 08-08-2015, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Steve.

Looking at customer review photos on Amazon and various YouTube videos of the 2030, it appears it is a common problem. I'm assuming that many people with an entry level projector like this probably don't bother with a framed screen, and if you don't have a border around the image, the problem is not as noticeable. So either people aren't seeing the curve, or maybe don't worry about
Regarding your PM. My post count is to low to PM back.
Never did get around to exchanging the thing. I don't notice the curve much now. Given that most if not all of the screen shots I've seen of these 2030s have that same curve I don't believe that exchanging for a refurbed unit will help. I'll wait till the warranty is almost up then maybe.
post #561 of 574 Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have recently noticed when pulling up Google on the ps4 with the 2030 that there is an issue with uneven light distribution and also the right side of the picture has a slight reddish tint which fades to a slight cool blue on the left side..I used youtube to project a white picture, just search white screen in youtube. Does anyone else have this issue? I would have never noticed it had I not projected a total white screen. I called epson and they said this is not normal but I am skeptical. The uneven light distribution is apparent on the left side..if you have this ceiling mounted just reverse everything to see if yours does this.
post #562 of 574 Old 08-12-2015, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Yeah, I have been looking at them. I need to get my screen up and then I will be able to tell accurately where my pj will need to be mounted. Right now, by just eyballing it, I think I would need to get the 12-18. I don't want to spend $65-$75 on a pole and have it mess up everything. Thats why I was thinking I could got to the hardware store and use a generic pole. After looking at the full line up of Chief extension poles you sent, I will go that route after I know for sure what the height needs to be.
While the Chief mounts are consistently mentioned as excellent, the extension pole is nothing more than a pipe that you can buy at any hardware store for a few dollars. Please don't pay $50+ for a pipe.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #563 of 574 Old 08-13-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
While the Chief mounts are consistently mentioned as excellent, the extension pole is nothing more than a pipe that you can buy at any hardware store for a few dollars. Please don't pay $50+ for a pipe.
FToast,

I ordered a Chief extension pole and it is arriving today. Thanks for the advice though! Now time to get this thing mounted and dialed in. I am tired of having it on the couch on boxes. Pic below after I got the 100 inch screen out up last Sunday, but the projector is still sitting on the couch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150809_211512.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	883858  
Zoltrix likes this.
post #564 of 574 Old 08-13-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
FToast,

I ordered a Chief extension pole and it is arriving today. Thanks for the advice though! Now time to get this thing mounted and dialed in. I am tired of having it on the couch on boxes. Pic below after I got the 100 inch screen out up last Sunday, but the projector is still sitting on the couch.
Is that a light bend at the top of the image? Sorry couldn't help myself, it's the first thing I look for now lol
post #565 of 574 Old 08-14-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Is that a light bend at the top of the image? Sorry couldn't help myself, it's the first thing I look for now lol
The projector is not mounted yet. It is sitting on two boxes and some dvds (to tilt the image down) on the couch. The image is not lined up with the screen well. So what you are probably seeing is the image spilling out above the left-hand screen. If you look closely at the right side of the pic, you will see the projected image spilling over the screen on to the wall too.
post #566 of 574 Old 08-14-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
The projector is not mounted yet. It is sitting on two boxes and some dvds (to tilt the image down) on the couch. The image is not lined up with the screen well. So what you are probably seeing is the image spilling out above the left-hand screen. If you look closely at the right side of the pic, you will see the projected image spilling over the screen on to the wall too.
You'll have to show us some pics with the lights on!
post #567 of 574 Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
You'll have to show us some pics with the lights on!
Had the in-laws at the house over the weekend, so I didn't have time to do anything in the media room. I hope to get the pj mounted to the ceiling sometime this week. I will try to take some pics with lights on.
post #568 of 574 Old 08-17-2015, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just like to update that i just got a new projector to replace my previous that didn't get both upper right and lower left corner in focus.
The projector i received now is probably from the same batch as the SN is identical except the last digit is one number lower.

What i'm now left with is a projector that still have the same issues with exactly the same corners - and as an additional "bonus", i now have a blurry area in the center of the image which doesn't appear to be focus related in the same way, as it's not possible to get it on focus no matter what i adjust on...

I've sent another complaint to Epson about this, with detailed documentation, and they were just as confused about it as i was. They suggested sending it in for service to see if it was a firmware or setting issue, or if it at least could be repaired, but i told them i'd hardy want to send in a projector for repair that still had 0 hours on the lamp, and let them know if this is how this model is i'd be interested in an upgrade instead.
They said that have sent the whole case to their 2. line to see if they have a solution for it, and if not they would send a request to their headquarters suggesting an upgrade to for example a TW7200.

Very interested to see what they'll do about this issue.

The previous one i could probably live with, but the blurry center of this one gives me a headache almost instantly...
post #569 of 574 Old 08-17-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Erik View Post
Just like to update that i just got a new projector to replace my previous that didn't get both upper right and lower left corner in focus.
The projector i received now is probably from the same batch as the SN is identical except the last digit is one number lower.

What i'm now left with is a projector that still have the same issues with exactly the same corners - and as an additional "bonus", i now have a blurry area in the center of the image which doesn't appear to be focus related in the same way, as it's not possible to get it on focus no matter what i adjust on...

I've sent another complaint to Epson about this, with detailed documentation, and they were just as confused about it as i was. They suggested sending it in for service to see if it was a firmware or setting issue, or if it at least could be repaired, but i told them i'd hardy want to send in a projector for repair that still had 0 hours on the lamp, and let them know if this is how this model is i'd be interested in an upgrade instead.
They said that have sent the whole case to their 2. line to see if they have a solution for it, and if not they would send a request to their headquarters suggesting an upgrade to for example a TW7200.

Very interested to see what they'll do about this issue.

The previous one i could probably live with, but the blurry center of this one gives me a headache almost instantly...
Hey Jan-Erik, as I've previously mentioned, I've had similar experiences. I think what it comes down to is that quality control at Epson must be pretty ordinary. As I've stated I moved up to a 5030UB (EH-TW8200) assuming that when moving to one of their top models, all of the problems I've seen with the 2030 (EH-TW5200) would be fixed. But that wasn't the case. The 5030UB had horrible focus uniformity issues. Focus would change for an hour and a half after powering on. It had a slight bend at the bottom of the image when ceiling mounted, not as bad as the 2030, but I wouldn't expect it at all with one of their flagship models.

Anyway, I couldn't live with those shortcomings for such an expensive projector, so I returned it.

I've now gone back to the 2030, as while it still has problems, mine has the bend at the bottom when ceiling mounted, and is also slightly off focus in the top left. But at least the 2030 is fairly cheap so it doesn't bother me as much.

But, if I did have focus issues in the middle of the screen, I don't think that is acceptable. Have you tried displaying it on a wall just to make sure it isn't your screen?

If you can get the upgrade for free, then go for it. But I wouldn't pay to move up to the 7200, as I bet it will have issues as well.

You could also ask them with the new 2045 model is being released internationally, as that is due out in the states this month, and who knows, maybe they have fixed the focus issues in the new model?

Last edited by Zoltrix; 08-17-2015 at 05:55 PM.
post #570 of 574 Old 08-25-2015, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have the Epson 2030 & a Silver Ticket 106" grey screen. Here are two scenes from the Cinemax show, Strike Back via the Amazon Instant Video app on a Roku, going through a Denon x3100. I can't help but think the reds are overdone and need to be toned down, but can't figure out how. I think part of it is the way the show was recorded and edited, but It's similar in other Blu-Ray movies as well. Can anyone help point me to the right settings?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150826_024915226_iOS.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	907962   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150826_032009819_iOS.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	907970  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement