The Offical Epson 2030 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #181 of 417 Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
LOL, and I thought $981 taxes and shipping was a good buy for this bad boy.

Great find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 417 Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Liked: 10

Hi All, I just got the Epson and also ordered this mount http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IDC0K2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My question is: can one use this with a Chromecast and get stereo sound out of it somehow? I plugged out sound system into the Audio Out and noticed that it is Mono. It would be a major inconvenience to have to plug the sound system into our Android devices every time we want to use the projector, instead of just firing up Netflix/Youtube on the device. In fact, it would probably be a deal breaker. Thanks for any advice you may be able to give. 

post #183 of 417 Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Hi All, I just got the Epson 2030. My question is: can one use this with a Chromecast and get stereo sound out of it somehow? I plugged out sound system into the Audio Out and noticed that it is Mono. It would be a major inconvenience to have to plug the sound system into our Android devices every time we want to use the projector, instead of just firing up Netflix/Youtube on the device. In fact, it would probably be a deal breaker. Thanks for any advice you may be able to give. 

post #184 of 417 Old 01-05-2014, 07:51 PM

My setup : EPSON 2030, Pioneer vsx-823k, PS3. To get free OTA channels, i got a HOMEWrox HW-150pvr tuner (http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1365123671) . No luck, i connected the HMI out to the Receiver , but see a message NOT SUPPORTED. I directly connected the HDMI from the tuner to the Projector and see NOT supported. so i am thinking EPSON does no take output from the tuner. To make sure the tuner is good, i connected it to a TV and it works great! Is getting component cable is my only choice here ? Any other TV tuners like channel master will work with the EPSON 2030 using HDMI ?
post #185 of 417 Old 01-13-2014, 05:44 PM

I have to ask this again since no answer to the above was provided: How do you get this thing to output STEREO sound? The 3.5 mm audio out seems to be mono only. The RCA jacks seem to be input. What am I doing wrong? This it driving me crazy!

post #186 of 417 Old 01-13-2014, 05:54 PM

Hello all,

I've had this projector for about 2 weeks and I've been projecting it on my cream colored wall while I waited for my screen to come in. This is my first projector I've ever owned, it was between this and the BenQ 1070(as most people who looked for an entry level projector) but the RBE just scared me too much... Even if I wasn't bother by it (I could see it in youtube videos but who knows what it would be like for me in person), I was too worried my friends or family would see it and it would ruin their experience.

I found some calibration settings on projectorreviews.com I believe but some of those settings are blocked out because I'm not a paying member. Although I found those settings to be OK (thought it looked amazing on a cream colored wall), I fell like I'm losing out on those blocked details. Anyone ever find a good calibration they could post?? I've seen it asked a few times in this thread already but it always goes unresponded.

Thanks!

post #187 of 417 Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell730 View Post

Hello all,

I've had this projector for about 2 weeks and I've been projecting it on my cream colored wall while I waited for my screen to come in. This is my first projector I've ever owned, it was between this and the BenQ 1070(as most people who looked for an entry level projector) but the RBE just scared me too much... Even if I wasn't bother by it (I could see it in youtube videos but who knows what it would be like for me in person), I was too worried my friends or family would see it and it would ruin their experience.

I found some calibration settings on projectorreviews.com I believe but some of those settings are blocked out because I'm not a paying member. Although I found those settings to be OK (thought it looked amazing on a cream colored wall), I fell like I'm losing out on those blocked details. Anyone ever find a good calibration they could post?? I've seen it asked a few times in this thread already but it always goes unresponded.

Thanks!

Were you able to get it to output stereo sound? If so, how? 

post #188 of 417 Old 01-14-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jintoku View Post

Were you able to get it to output stereo sound? If so, how? 

I'm actually not a big sound guy, I know I know... Can't build a home theater without the 7.1 surround sound etc... I actually just have a 3.5mm cord running to an LG sound bar with a wireless subwoofer. For me... This sounds just fine (really good IMO). I honestly don't know if I would be able to tell you if it was running stereo or mono... I know that stereo is 2 channels and mono is 1 but listening to them in person I prolly couldn't tell you the difference.
post #189 of 417 Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm actually not a big sound guy, I know I know... Can't build a home theater without the 7.1 surround sound etc... I actually just have a 3.5mm cord running to an LG sound bar with a wireless subwoofer. For me... This sounds just fine (really good IMO). I honestly don't know if I would be able to tell you if it was running stereo or mono... I know that stereo is 2 channels and mono is 1 but listening to them in person I prolly couldn't tell you the difference.

A man who's satisfied ... how refreshing! smile.gif
post #190 of 417 Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jintoku View Post

I have to ask this again since no answer to the above was provided: How do you get this thing to output STEREO sound? The 3.5 mm audio out seems to be mono only. The RCA jacks seem to be input. What am I doing wrong? This it driving me crazy!

Have you checked that your 3.5mm audio cable is actually a stereo cable and not a mono cable? If so, have you tried using a different one to rule out a bad 3.5mm cable?

What is the other end of the 3.5mm cable connecting to?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #191 of 417 Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks!

If you spend any time on this forum you will find that using someone else's settings is not the favored method of calibration. Wait until your screen arrives before calibrating.

Visit the AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration section and download the DVD or Blu-ray calibration software and burn to disc. Calibration instructions are also in this thread. This assumes you already own a Blu-ray player.
Powell730 likes this.

post #192 of 417 Old 01-16-2014, 01:41 PM

I had this exact same problem. My Type A wife noticed it immediately. Meanwhile, I was marveling over the 1080P jump, and additional 58" of additional movie viewing real estate. In my case it was the screen. I fussed with all the settings for hours over the course of a few days. I figured out that, if I got the top level and square that one of the corners was still off, and tapered at the bottom. I looked at the profile of the screen and noticed the bar was protruding in that corner. When i pull the bottom right hand corner of the screen closer to the wall it goes away. It is a manual pull down screen, and I don't think I paid more than $75.00 for it. If you roll a piece of paper around a pencil and try and straighten it out you would have the same nightmare. The bar at the bottom only goes so far to pulling everything flat. My only long term and permanent solution is to fix a hook to the wall and a piece of string to the bottom corners and tie them off as necessary when I watch. Happy wife, happy life.

post #193 of 417 Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Is anyone using the MHL HDMI input for it's intended use? What device are you using and what is your experience so far?

Freddy ..
post #194 of 417 Old 01-17-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamalex View Post

Is anyone using the MHL HDMI input for it's intended use? What device are you using and what is your experience so far?

Freddy ..

I have read that people have been using the Roku Streaming Stick and the Google Chromecast with the Epson 2030. Although the Chromecast isn't MHL compliant it will still work since the 2030 has two USB ports for power.

Is there a different device you're considering?

post #195 of 417 Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM

A Roku Stickis what I was thinking about .. It seems to have true HD out .. but then, it doesn't stream any 'premium' content anyway, so what's the point?

One thing that bugs me is that even though Dish is HD, there is a BIG difference b/w watching live or DVR recordings from my DishNetwork HD subscription and 1080p/24 BD discs. That makes me wonder about what kinda IQ to expect from these streaming services.

I realize the 2030 is an entry level device, but I am plenty happy with it, especially in the BD area; just not that confident about other sources.

Maybe its time for a BDP-103; which will from what I understand, 'upconvert' DVDs and (maybe?) Satellite as well? So instead of spending $100 on a stick, just get the most badass BD player which includes all the well known 'premium' streaming options like Netflix, Vudu, CinemaNow, etc. (and works with the Roku Stick as well) ...

Decisions, decisions smile.gif
post #196 of 417 Old 01-18-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamalex View Post

A Roku Stickis what I was thinking about .. It seems to have true HD out .. but then, it doesn't stream any 'premium' content anyway, so what's the point?

One thing that bugs me is that even though Dish is HD, there is a BIG difference b/w watching live or DVR recordings from my DishNetwork HD subscription and 1080p/24 BD discs. That makes me wonder about what kinda IQ to expect from these streaming services.

I realize the 2030 is an entry level device, but I am plenty happy with it, especially in the BD area; just not that confident about other sources.

Maybe its time for a BDP-103; which will from what I understand, 'upconvert' DVDs and (maybe?) Satellite as well? So instead of spending $100 on a stick, just get the most badass BD player which includes all the well known 'premium' streaming options like Netflix, Vudu, CinemaNow, etc. (and works with the Roku Stick as well) ...

Decisions, decisions smile.gif

The problem with using a Roku Streaming Stick or the Google Chromecast on a projector is getting the sound from there to your AVR, unless you plan on listening to the small speakers on the projector. Both devices are more suitable for use on an HDTV.

post #197 of 417 Old 01-18-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

If you spend any time on this forum you will find that using someone else's settings is not the favored method of calibration. Wait until your screen arrives before calibrating.

Visit the AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration section and download the DVD or Blu-ray calibration software and burn to disc. Calibration instructions are also in this thread. This assumes you already own a Blu-ray player.

Thanks for suggesting that video. I didn't even realize it existed and now I'm learning all my TVs needed adjusted after I thought they all looked pretty good! I do need to get a pair of those glasses they were talking about tho.
post #198 of 417 Old 01-18-2014, 09:23 PM

So I just purchased a harmony remote and I've setup some activates on the remote which has got me thinking about some things with my projector. Just a brief background on my setup:

I have a plasma 50 inch hanging on the wall with a single HDMI cord running to it. That HDMI cord runs to a kinivio matrix switch (works great). Then... I have all my sources plugged into the switch (PS4, Xbox 360, and DirecTV), then from the switch I use the second output to run a 25 foot HDMI cord through the ceiling and wall to my projector.

Now, I have 2 activities setup on the harmony remote, 1 is watch DirecTV on TV and the other is watch DirecTV on the projector. I just got the remote today so most of this is happening as I learn the remote but I've hit the wrong activity or the wrong button and its fired up my projector a few times when I didn't want it to.

So my question after that long winded story is if I accidentally turn on my projector but I have the slide on the projector to mute instead of open, will it hurt the projector to immediately turn it off again (read you should wait at least 5 minutes)? Second question is similar; if I'm only going to be gone for a few minutes but leave the projector running, does it hurt the bulb to slide that from open to A/V Mute and then 5 or 10 minutes later slide it back to open?
post #199 of 417 Old 01-27-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreddy10 View Post

To Crussell1492:

Yes, I can vouch for the Samsung Model # SSG-5100GB 3D glasses. I bought two sets of these from amazon for $19 each:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-5100GB-3D-Active-Glasses/dp/B00BIP816Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383249923&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+Model+%23+SSG-5100GB

They worked well for me and my wife. I wore them over my prescription glasses quite comfortably. They are very light and pair almost instantly with the projector. They are not rechargeable (comes with a watch battery) but supposed to give 150 hours of watching with the battery. You can see the four dashes in view showing battery strength. I watched four 3D movies and I still have 4 bars! The batteries are cheap ($2 for three) from amazon.

There are no instructions with it. To pair the glasses with the projector, you press a tiny button on the top of the frame after the 3D image is on the screen and immediately you get a message confirming that they are paired. You may also have to choose 3D format on the projector by going to the Menu (of the projector), then click on Signal , then click on 3D setup and choose either side by side or top on bottom (in 3D, you see two images - side by side or top and bottom, without glasses) and then exit out of the Menu. You are all set to enjoy fantastic 3D viewing. The depth is good and IMO, this 3D is better than the Theater movies because the glasses are Active Shutter RF (unlike the passive, cheap glasses you are given in the theater).

Enjoy.

Subhash

Once the pairing is done, you don't have to do it again unless you change the battery or something gets hosed and needs a reset, right?

Freddy ..
post #200 of 417 Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM

~~Just bought my first projector 3 days ago. I love the quality of the picture, but can't seem to fix a simple (I think) problem. The picture is a perfect rectangle, but it appears there is an extra glare in the shape of a trapezoid around the picture. When I use the keystone settings, I change the shape of the picture, but the 'other' trapezoid still remains. What am I missing? Sorry for my limited knowledge. The projector is about 9.5' off the ground on a ledge & about 12.5' away from the wall. Thanks in advance. The SuperBowl is less than a week away.

post #201 of 417 Old 01-30-2014, 10:50 PM

how many people use the A/V mute when they're done with the PJ? I have always used it but I'm starting to get annoyed with it because it's moving my pj every time I do it.

post #202 of 417 Old 01-31-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hi All - projector noob here, seriously considering this Epson 2030 (or 2000) to replace an Optoma HD131Xe. I suffer from severe RBE with the Optoma. Was thinking of trying the BenQ W1070 but heard that even though it has a slightly faster color wheel, RBE is still present and visible on it. So I'm going to just go ahead and take the LCD PJ plunge. My main question - how is the motion blur? Is the refresh rate on this PJ fast enough to handle/hide it? I liked DLP because it mostly eliminated the blurring. I'm assuming "fast mode" is the ideal mode for gaming?

I'll be using this PJ for 70% videogames, 20% movies and 10% sports. Would appreciate any feedback, especially from you gamers out there. Thanks!

Sony HW40es Projector / 114" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
post #203 of 417 Old 02-02-2014, 12:04 PM

I just purchased the 2030 last night and I love it, I was looking for the BenQ w1070 but it wasnt in store. Here are some videos. Enjoy.

BDUB619 likes this.
post #204 of 417 Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post

Hi All - projector noob here, seriously considering this Epson 2030 (or 2000) to replace an Optoma HD131Xe. I suffer from severe RBE with the Optoma. Was thinking of trying the BenQ W1070 but heard that even though it has a slightly faster color wheel, RBE is still present and visible on it. So I'm going to just go ahead and take the LCD PJ plunge. My main question - how is the motion blur? Is the refresh rate on this PJ fast enough to handle/hide it? I liked DLP because it mostly eliminated the blurring. I'm assuming "fast mode" is the ideal mode for gaming?

I'll be using this PJ for 70% videogames, 20% movies and 10% sports. Would appreciate any feedback, especially from you gamers out there. Thanks!

I mostly use mine for video games but I leave mine on "fine" to get the best PQ and I don't notice any input lag. I did notice input lag when I had it on cinema mode but once I changed that to living room mode and toned down the brightness all was good. If you happen to be affected by input lag then putting the processing to fast definitely helps.

Edit: forgot to talk about motion blur. I have a 70" 240 Hz sharp upstairs and this projector does just as good as that IMO. If I'm not playing video games on it, it's likely because I'm watching sports and I don't notice any blur. I was watching some NBA the other night and was intentionally trying to find blur on the basketball as they dribbled or passed and on the ESPN scroll bar and I couldn't see anything. I bought this over the benq 1070 in fear of seeing RBE (first projector so I don't know if I see it or not).
BDUB619 likes this.
post #205 of 417 Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:

I mostly use mine for video games but I leave mine on "fine" to get the best PQ and I don't notice any input lag. I did notice input lag when I had it on cinema mode but once I changed that to living room mode and toned down the brightness all was good. If you happen to be affected by input lag then putting the processing to fast definitely helps.

Edit: forgot to talk about motion blur. I have a 70" 240 Hz sharp upstairs and this projector does just as good as that IMO. If I'm not playing video games on it, it's likely because I'm watching sports and I don't notice any blur. I was watching some NBA the other night and was intentionally trying to find blur on the basketball as they dribbled or passed and on the ESPN scroll bar and I couldn't see anything. I bought this over the benq 1070 in fear of seeing RBE (first projector so I don't know if I see it or not).

Great, thanks for the response. I've read several favorable reviews on this Epson 2000/2030 (in fact, I haven't heard anything negative about them) so will be ordering mine today smile.gif

Sony 70" W830B LED TV
post #206 of 417 Old 02-05-2014, 09:11 PM

Hello all,

Bear with me, I'm TOTALLY new to projectors. My roommate is moving out in a month, and there's a big wall space that I'm eager to put to good use. I started looking into projectors, but because I'm a mathematical luddite, throw distances and mathmatical equations have left me shivering on the floor in the fetal position... 

So, I was looking into the Epson 2030... Thinking probably 70% movies, 20% TV and just a 10% casual gamer. A friend recommended the 8350? But I was reading about all kinds of iris issues with that one? 

I need the whole set up, projector, screen, receiver, speakers, and have budgeted myself $3000 to do it all. I don't mind starting off with basic speakers or a soundbar (I'm in an apartment and have neigbours so I can't go ballistic on the sound... Boo... Hiss)...

So... This is where I get hazy... Length of the room is 14', ceiling height is 8'... Really easy to block out light in there... I was looking at getting an Elite Screens - SableFrame Series 110" Home Theater Projector Screen... Would that work with the Epson 2030 and the size of my room? I guess the projector would have to be mounted on the ceiling above the sofa? Is there a simple zoom in and out that can be used to match it to the screen size? 

Sorry for all the basic questions... New to this projector m'larky and it's kind of daunting... 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

Dom

post #207 of 417 Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic1982 View Post

Hello all,

Bear with me, I'm TOTALLY new to projectors. My roommate is moving out in a month, and there's a big wall space that I'm eager to put to good use. I started looking into projectors, but because I'm a mathematical luddite, throw distances and mathmatical equations have left me shivering on the floor in the fetal position... 

So, I was looking into the Epson 2030... Thinking probably 70% movies, 20% TV and just a 10% casual gamer. A friend recommended the 8350? But I was reading about all kinds of iris issues with that one? 

I need the whole set up, projector, screen, receiver, speakers, and have budgeted myself $3000 to do it all. I don't mind starting off with basic speakers or a soundbar (I'm in an apartment and have neigbours so I can't go ballistic on the sound... Boo... Hiss)...

So... This is where I get hazy... Length of the room is 14', ceiling height is 8'... Really easy to block out light in there... I was looking at getting an Elite Screens - SableFrame Series 110" Home Theater Projector Screen... Would that work with the Epson 2030 and the size of my room? I guess the projector would have to be mounted on the ceiling above the sofa? Is there a simple zoom in and out that can be used to match it to the screen size? 

Sorry for all the basic questions... New to this projector m'larky and it's kind of daunting... 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

Dom

Three G's should get you plenty...
Measure your space. Check your ceiling height with this unit. Check the Projector calculator for distance and sizing. This thing throws a BIG picture ...and bright.
Visual Apex is still offering their packages ...just pick the one that's right for you. Even if you get the top package, you still have 15 hundee left for speakers and components.
Has a pretty good zoom for adjusting to match your picture size.
Do your homework, you should be fine.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #208 of 417 Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 AM

I just bought one a few days ago and I'm enjoying it so far. The brightness is really nice coming from a HD65. You really can use this to replace a TV if you want. HDTV has pop that the HD65 doesn't. And that brightness is much needed with 3D. Since I live in an apartment I don't use full surround sound so it's nice being able to use the tiny speaker (still can get loud) late at night. Being able to connect my Bose computer speakers and control them with the remote is nice for other times.
post #209 of 417 Old 02-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Anyone have any idea about the offset? Is this a short throw PJ?

I have my current PJ about 11-12' back from the wall, hanging from a vaulted ceiling about 8' down and projecting to a 92" screen. I have it zoomed in and the picture is fine. I'll be installing it this weekend and I'm hoping I can just swap that PJ to this new Epson. Can anyone give advice on how they have theirs mounted, how far back? Thanks in advance.

Sony 70" W830B LED TV
post #210 of 417 Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi - Projector newbie here...

I just picked up a 2030 to primarily be used as a summer "movie on the patio" projector.

Hooked it up in the house and although the image looks really nice, it's massive! The zoom doesn't bring it down anywhere near the size I need for the patio...unless I move it up really close to the screen.

Am I missing something or is this just the way it is?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030 3lcd Projector , 3lcd Projector 2200 Lumens