9Likes

post #1 of 375 Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I just received this New Product Alert. You read about it here first ! cool.gif

This thread can serve as the official sounding board for discussions until the first unit reaches a AVS'ers hands.

No doubt this unit will be on display at CEDIA.

Retail MSRP is $999.00 Projected Street Price $749.25

Here are the listed specs.
PLHC_2030_PROD_SPECS.pdf 4926k .pdf file

In brief:

Epson 3LCD, 3-chip technology

Projected Output
2D, 3D, Full HD 1080p

Pixel Number
2,073,600 dots (1920 x 1080) x 3

Color Brightness2

Color Light Output: 2000 lumens

White Brightness2
White Light Output: 2000 lumens

Aspect Ratio
Native 16:9 widescreen
Native Resolution
Native 1080p (1920 x 1080)
Resize
16:10, 4:3

Lamp Type
200 W UHE
Lamp Life7
Up to 6000 hours (ECO mode)
Up to 5000 hours (Normal mode)

Throw Ratio Range

1.22 (Zoom: Wide) – 1.47 (Zoom: Tele)
Size (projected distance)
34" – 328"
Keystone Correction
Vertical: ± 30 degrees (Auto)

Display Performance
1920 x 1080 native 1080p; HD, 2D, 3D

Color Modes

2D: Dynamic, Living room, Natural, Cinema, Auto
3D: 3D Dynamic, 3D Cinema

Input Signal

Composite: NTSC / NTSC4.43 / PAL / M-PAL /
N-PAL / PAL60 / SECAM

Component: 480i / 576i / 480p / 576p / 720p /
1080i / 1080p HDMI: TMDS

Terminal Inputs

2 HDMI
1 RCA (composite)
3 RCA (component)
2 RCA (1 audio L/R) stereo
1 VGA D-sub 15 pin (computer input)
1 USB Type A
1 RS-232c (DB-9 pin)

Video Compatibility
2D: WXGA 60Hz, WXGA, SXGA, XGA, SVGA, VGA
3D: 720p 50/60Hz, 1080i 50/60Hz, 1080p
50/60/24Hz

Computer Compatibility

PC/MAC

Operating Angle
± 30 degrees left/right;
± 15 degrees up/down
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PLHC_2030_PROD_SPECS.pdf (4.81 MB, 68 views)

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 375 Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Art's Review

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-2030/index.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 375 Old 08-29-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Why does he insist on reviewing PJs that are not actual versions in Production? Simply to be "first"? It seems that even when the review is favorable, it's not really based on the actual end potential. Always there is "nothing set in stone" kinda remarks.

In any case, the 2030's insertion into the playing field should make for a interesting Fall.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #4 of 375 Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
post #5 of 375 Old 08-30-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Retail MSRP is $999.00 Projected Street Price $749.25

Right now, all of the sellers (Epson, Visual Apex, Amazon, B&H) are selling for $999. When do you think it'll hit $749.25?
post #6 of 375 Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why does he insist on reviewing PJs that are not actual versions in Production? Simply to be "first"? It seems that even when the review is favorable, it's not really based on the actual end potential. Always there is "nothing set in stone" kinda remarks.

In any case, the 2030's insertion into the playing field should make for a interesting Fall.

I would guess that Projector Central also reviewed a pre-production model, since this projector doesn't come out until 9/10/2013.
post #7 of 375 Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

I would guess that Projector Central also reviewed a pre-production model, since this projector doesn't come out until 9/10/2013.

Such 'pre-production" projectors that are sent out to reviewers are typically using the same hardware as the full production units but frequently have an earlier firmware version (e.g., beta) than what is installed in the final production units. Frequently the initial production units will be better in some aspects and after being in production for a few months, and after a further firmware update or two, most the significant bugs will be eliminated. So even the performance of the first production units is 'not set in stone' as subsequent firmware updates may correct certain issues or limitations that are not hardware constrained. This is not a specific comment on Epson projectors, but rather projectors (and most other modern electronics) in general.
PJC Bill likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #8 of 375 Old 08-31-2013, 12:15 AM

Liked: 10
Hi,

Does anyone now how high the projected image top would be from the center of the projector lens for a ceiling mount? I couldn't get that from the calculators on Epson site(does not list this model) or projectorcentral.com.

Any thoughts on this vs the BenQ 1070? Curiously, the fact that it does not suffer from RBE is what is skewing me to this projector - RBE apparently causes eyestrain and headaches - is that still true ? They both seem to be equally noisy (fan noise).

thanks
post #9 of 375 Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrangar View Post

Hi,

Does anyone now how high the projected image top would be from the center of the projector lens for a ceiling mount? I couldn't get that from the calculators on Epson site(does not list this model) or projectorcentral.com.

Any thoughts on this vs the BenQ 1070? Curiously, the fact that it does not suffer from RBE is what is skewing me to this projector - RBE apparently causes eyestrain and headaches - is that still true ? They both seem to be equally noisy (fan noise).

thanks

From the Projector Central review:
Quote:
The 2030 has an unusual throw angle for a home video projector--the projected image is 92% above and 8% below the lens' centerline. On a 100" diagonal image, that would put 4" of the image below the centerline of the lens. If you place the image on a standard height coffee table, the bottom edge of the projected image would appear only 12" to 14" above the floor. This may be too close to the floor for ideal viewing, especially if you are sitting behind the projector.

The standard height of a coffee table is generally considered to be 16-18 inches but can be slightly higher.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_home_cinema_2030_projector_review.htm?page=Limitations

RBE is an individual thing - most people don't see it, some do.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #10 of 375 Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Art's review stated the unit they had was a "Engineering Model". (... a earlier model than even a "pre-production" model...) Considering the date of his review, (August w/late August 30th update) and PC's review (...also August w/late August 27th publication...) it's not likely that they received different PJs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrangar View Post

Hi,

thanks

No Image offset was mentioned, so under those circumstances the Top (...or Center...) of the Lens usually would be at the top or bottom of the screen, dependent upon PJ placement. Any variable is taken care of via the Auto keystone Correction.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #11 of 375 Old 08-31-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

RBE is an individual thing - most people don't see it, some do.

That's backwards mostly. Unless a DLP PJ has a 6 Segment, very fast Color Wheel, more people will see rainbows than do not. Some people are less susceptible, while some have terrible issues....but with slower Color wheels it is not hard for anyone to notice them if one's head is shifted during viewing. Bright, colorful scenes in motion are the worst case scenarios....but sadly, even B&W content can produce the effect.

While I have not read the PC reveiw yet, where the info on the Lens/Image offset was in fact published, I just noted that Mr G mentioned reading that there is a 4" "Inside" Lens Offset. That's pretty negligible. Still, such would seem to suggest that a ceiling mount would be the "Go To" choice.

Obviously Epson is depending upon the Auto Key Stone Correction more than we all would care to ourselves.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #12 of 375 Old 08-31-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

That's backwards mostly. Unless a DLP PJ has a 6 Segment, very fast Color Wheel, more people will see rainbows than do not. Some people are less susceptible, while some have terrible issues....but with slower Color wheels it is not hard for anyone to notice them if one's head is shifted during viewing. Bright, colorful scenes in motion are the worst case scenarios....but sadly, even B&W content can produce the effect.

I was referring to the Benq W1070 (6X Speed Color Wheel, a six-segment color wheel) he mentioned - sorry that I wasn't more specific.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #13 of 375 Old 08-31-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Art's review stated the unit they had was a "Engineering Model". (... a earlier model than even a "pre-production" model...) Considering the date of his review, (August w/late August 30th update) and PC's review (...also August w/late August 27th publication...) it's not likely that they received different PJs.

Thanks. I was just trying to say that it's not just Art that is reviewing engineering models; they both are.
post #14 of 375 Old 08-31-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I was referring to the Benq W1070 (6X Speed Color Wheel, a six-segment color wheel) he mentioned - sorry that I wasn't more specific.

BenQ claims the W1070 has a color wheel speed of UP TO 6X. However, in the W1070 owner's thread it was measured at only little over 3X for 24 Hz inputs, such as from a Blu-ray disc.. In fact in those tests the owner that posted his measurements could not find any type of signal that would produced the claimed 6X speed. The best he would get was 5X (with a 50Hz input). This explains why many people have said they are seeing rainbows when watching Blu-rays on a W1070.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #15 of 375 Old 08-31-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Actually that argument was never settled to the satisfaction of the forums. The Benq w7000 color wheel (which I own) does something different when the multiplier is set to 3x in the SM, as the RPM speeds up for 60hz when it is in 6x mode to allow 6x speeds only in 60hz mode. The Russian tester was claiming because the w1070 is at 5x in 50hz, using only that he determined the max speed, but from what I saw he never actually tried to test 60hz. He had it backwards at least to how the w7000 works.

A few other people in the w1070 thread also claimed the opposite of what he said and stated the w1070 was noisier and faster in 60hz mode (on the w7000, I can 100% guarantee you it is running faster in 60hz mode), so unless they designed the w1070 BACKWARDS to the w7000 color wheel, then whoever posted all that stuff about it being 4x is wrong. It's very easy to tell on the w7000 because you can easily see the multiplier in the Service Menu and hear the changes, but the w1070 is harder to tell.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #16 of 375 Old 08-31-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Here is how the discussion ended and until a bunch of people check and make sure the wheel is different than the w7000, no way to know for sure:

THE w7000 wheel (when set to 3x multi) does 10.8k RPM at 60hz and 9k RPM at 50hz, so this would follow the standard CW design for a 6x max speed color wheel, so there was no need for debate on this point, because any owner of the w7000 can easily confirm this by matching up the service menu multiplier with the unusually loud sounds the CW makes in 6x mode at 60hz vs the slower color wheel speed at 50hz.

So the question becomes did they design the w1070 color wheel to change RPM speeds exactly backwards to the w7000? (possible, but I have doubts)

Furthermore, it is very easy to HEAR the difference between 10.8k RPM and 9k on the w7000, but it is MUCH MUCH more difficult to hear the difference between 9k RPM and 7.2k RPM. 10.8K RPM sounds like a vacuum cleaner, which is why by default the w7000 ships at the 4x speed (2x multi), instead of the 6x speed (3x multi).

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #17 of 375 Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM

Just wanted to comment on the pricing of this unit since it came up a couple times above -
The Epson 2030 will fall under Epson's "UMRP" policy, meaning the street price will be $999 - unless they lower it at some point next year...

All authorized resellers, like Visual Apex, must follow this pricing policy and sell for the started UMRP price of $999

We did get a 2030 in late last week, and while my reviewing skills are not up to par with Art or Projector Central, we did enjoy seeing it first hand.
http://avnews.visualapex.com/uncategorized/epson-2030/

Thanks everyone! Happy Shopping!

post #18 of 375 Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualapex View Post

Just wanted to comment on the pricing of this unit since it came up a couple times above -
The Epson 2030 will fall under Epson's "UMRP" policy, meaning the street price will be $999 - unless they lower it at some point next year...

All authorized resellers, like Visual Apex, must follow this pricing policy and sell for the started UMRP price of $999

We did get a 2030 in late last week, and while my reviewing skills are not up to par with Art or Projector Central, we did enjoy seeing it first hand.

Well that makes me feel much better about the 2030 I bought from you guys on Friday. I paid $999 and was wondering if the price would drop any further. Glad to hear I didn't miss anything, by purchasing it immediately.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan

post #19 of 375 Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualapex View Post

Hi, any comment on the black levels and shadow detail of the 2030 ?
post #20 of 375 Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Well that makes me feel much better about the 2030 I bought from you guys on Friday. I paid $999 and was wondering if the price would drop any further. Glad to hear I didn't miss anything, by purchasing it immediately.

Hi Daekwan, think maybe you could post some pic's showing us the shadow detail of the 2030 ?
post #21 of 375 Old 09-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post

Hi, any comment on the black levels and shadow detail of the 2030 ?

Well, again, im not a professional reviewer - I spend more of my days at my computer then playing with the projectors smile.gif
But, I will say that in Cinema mode where we primarily viewed it, in a completely dark room - there was a noticeable difference in the black levels from Living Room mode - as the reviewers have stated, it has an auto-iris which helps it adjust very well - they weren't lying or exaggerating when they said everything was crisp and clear. It was beautiful...

These are the images I took last week - the Epson is on the right and you can clearly see how much crisper it is then the other projector we had set up - and while I still wont name that projector, it does have a higher contrast ratio, so it should have been brighter and crisper in our opinion...

http://avnews.visualapex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Epson2030screenshot.jpg
http://avnews.visualapex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/epson2030screenshot2.jpg
http://avnews.visualapex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/epson2030screenshot3.jpg

It was beautiful in Cinema Mode, just wait until you see it in Dynamic mode... i'm waiting to see it in action on a big time movie like Iron Man...

post #22 of 375 Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Nope - you didn't miss anything smile.gif ... Epson may drop the price at some point, but we have no way of knowing when that will be - or if it will ever happen ... the 5020UB/e have not dropped at all since their debut, and once the 8350 and 3020/e were added to the UMRP policy, they have not dropped either...

Hope you are enjoying the 2030!

post #23 of 375 Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

post #24 of 375 Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Art really seems to like this Epson 2030. I hope it's an honest, unbiased review of what he truly thinks and feels about these projectors. I'm looking forward to more user reviews with this projector.
post #25 of 375 Old 09-12-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Bill at Projector Central seems to like it as well.
post #26 of 375 Old 09-12-2013, 06:47 PM

Does anyone know what the image offset is? I may just be bad at google, but I haven't found a definitive answer for this. The Epson calculator doesn't list this projector yet and I'm not sure that the manual omitting the info is the same as saying there is none. Or even better, if its from the top/bottom or center of the lens.

Thanks
post #27 of 375 Old 09-12-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck73 View Post

Does anyone know what the image offset is? I may just be bad at google, but I haven't found a definitive answer for this. The Epson calculator doesn't list this projector yet and I'm not sure that the manual omitting the info is the same as saying there is none. Or even better, if its from the top/bottom or center of the lens.

Thanks

From projectorcentral.com:
Quote:
The 2030 has an unusual throw angle for a home video projector--the projected image is 92% above and 8% below the lens' centerline. On a 100" diagonal image, that would put 4" of the image below the centerline of the lens. If you place the image on a standard height coffee table, the bottom edge of the projected image would appear only 12" to 14" above the floor. This may be too close to the floor for ideal viewing, especially if you are sitting behind the projector.
post #28 of 375 Old 09-13-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Putting one up for a friend this weekend. He got the Visual Apex Deal with a 135" screen, mount, WOW disc, IR Blaster, Universal Remote, all for 1500.00. We projected on his tan wall when the projector was received and ran a couple hi resolution videos over his laptop, I have to say, I am very impressed with the image. The colors pop, and the blacks are deep and detailed. We put the screen together last night, (a very nice kit, by the way) IT IS BIG!!! I run a 119" daig screen, and with the extra real estate, It's got me thinking about the upgrade.
We ran through a couple tests on the WOW disc last night, projected on the 1.0 gain screen, and it really produced a crisp, detailed colorful picture. (One of the test screens was UP!, and the detail and the colors of the balloons was amazing.)
With regards to the Universal Mount, I wish there were an extension that could be substituted. Especially with the fact that the 2030 has no offset. He has an 8 foot ceiling, which would be fine with any other projector, but with the 2030, (no offset) combined with the shallow mount from V.A.... makes it necessary to either modify, or purchase another mount altogether. (it looks like we will be projecting on the crown molding, or partially the ceiling.)
The hard stuff comes tomorrow. I will update after that.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #29 of 375 Old 09-13-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Putting one up for a friend this weekend. He got the Visual Apex Deal with a 135" screen, mount, WOW disc, IR Blaster, Universal Remote, all for 1500.00. We projected on his tan wall when the projector was received and ran a couple hi resolution videos over his laptop, I have to say, I am very impressed with the image. The colors pop, and the blacks are deep and detailed. We put the screen together last night, (a very nice kit, by the way) IT IS BIG!!! I run a 119" daig screen, and with the extra real estate, It's got me thinking about the upgrade.
We ran through a couple tests on the WOW disc last night, projected on the 1.0 gain screen, and it really produced a crisp, detailed colorful picture. (One of the test screens was UP!, and the detail and the colors of the balloons was amazing.)
With regards to the Universal Mount, I wish there were an extension that could be substituted. Especially with the fact that the 2030 has no offset. He has an 8 foot ceiling, which would be fine with any other projector, but with the 2030, (no offset) combined with the shallow mount from V.A.... makes it necessary to either modify, or purchase another mount altogether. (it looks like we will be projecting on the crown molding, or partially the ceiling.)
The hard stuff comes tomorrow. I will update after that.

Kevin, Can you comment more on the "no offset"? Do you mean the vertical distance from the bottom of the screen image to the center of the lenses is 0? Is that with keystone off? Thanks
post #30 of 375 Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Per the specs...92% of the screen is above the lens centerline, and 8% is below...
If you think about it, it really qualifies as a negative offset...
It my help me in my room, actually, with the low 7ft ceiling, I had a hard time getting my image off the baseboard...
Absolutely no keystone, if I can avoid it...I will manufacture a drop tube for him, or advise him on a different mount completely, first...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030 3lcd Projector , 3lcd Projector 2200 Lumens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page