Advice on a projector for large outdoor movie night? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a projector to use on a large outdoors screen. I'm a real newbie to the projection world so not sure where to begin in selecting what I need. I'm not even sure what info would be needed for a good suggestion so I'll list everything i can think of smile.gif

1. The screen will either be made up of black out cloth or FlexiWhite (still haven't completely decided on the screen yet)
  2. I thinking of going with 2.35:1 aspect ratio, and the dimensions will likely be 9 feet high by 21 feet wide.
  3. My backyard has a hill that people will be viewing the movie from.
  4. The projector will likely be about 30-35 feet back of where the screen will be
  5. I don't know much about this stuff so I don't want too many settings and adjustments to make. I'd like to just plug it in and press play and have it look "good enough"
  6. This will be used almost exclusively for our movie nights...outside...at night.
  7. I'd like to connect the audio wirelessly to my Apple TV on the same home network if possible. The speakers in the picture are controlled by the Apple TV so it I can stream the audio to the Apple TV I can play the audio on the outdoor speakers through the Apple TV. Not sure if this is something I need to figure out when buying the projector, or if this would come from the DVD player the movie is playing from.

Feel free to let me know if any other info would be helpful in deciding which projector to go with.

I've heard good things about the BenQ W1070, but not sure if it will be right for my situation. Would it work on such a large screen? Would it work sitting so far back from the screen?

What would you guys suggest for a modest projector that would work well for my needs and space (see picture attached)?

Thanks all for any help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-29-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 272
You will need to do some serious research if you are looking into a bunch of wireless options, but, IMO, it's stupid. You need to run wires to the various components to make them all work. This means your speakers are wired to a good amplifier and are fed a quality audio source. Playback should be via Blu-ray Disc, not DVD, and your audio can be surround, or decent stereo, but you will need some good speakers out there if you want good coverage and immersion, otherwise just some decent outdoor speakers wired to their respective amplifier which is fed from the BD player. Unless you are playing movies back directly from your AppleTV, that piece will have no part in this.

Are you only planning to show 2.35 movies? What happens when you get a 1.85 movie, or want to watch HDTV? Just curious as committing to a 2.35 screen is a serious thing to do, and typically a bad choice unless you have really thought it through and are prepared for the headaches associated with 2.35 setups.

With almost a 250 square foot screen area to fill at 21' wide, that means to get 15 lumens per square foot, you need about a 3,800 lumen projector AFTER calibration as a minimum. Realistically, the rated lumen output needs to be higher to look as good as possible.

This is the list I would be looking at under $3,000....

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=500&p=3000&w=&r=13&br=4000&br=12000&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=13&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=&i=d&is=&sort=brt&sz=15

I would put that Optoma at the start of the list way up there on the possibilities.

Realistically, you are talking about a screen which is reaching to movie theater sizes on a budget which is tens of thousands of dollars less than theaters spend. You WILL have to put forth the legwork to make this work well as your budget (guessing under $3,000) won't allow you into the realm of the level of projector which is truly appropriate for this type of setup.

You will still need the speakers, amplifier, and receiver for this setup as well.
ffrllc likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 37 Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the valuable input, AV_Integrated!

I'm not set on 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I just figured I should get that one in case we actually want to watch 2.35 movies. I would assume we'll be watching 16:9 almost all the time and it would be fine on the larger screen (just not fill up all the width of the 2.35:1 space). I take it from your input, this wouldn't be the way to go. Just go with a 16:9 screen if that's what we'll be watching most of the time, right?

I'm not set on wireless either. Just figured it might be "easier" to just play the sound through the outdoor speakers I already have. I use the Apple TV to stream music wirelessly to the outdoor speakers now and the music sounds decent enough in the yard. No where near as immersive as a movie theater obviously.

I'm not expecting to get the best picture quality as I'm not looking to spend that type of money. We'll just be using this to watch movies outdoors from time to time with friends, neighbors, family. I'm just hoping for something decent when everything is said and done (something better quality than bringing home an office projector and using a bed sheet on the side of the house...lol).

I've heard good things about both the Epson 8350 ($1,299) and the BenQ W1070 ($890). Would neither of these work with my space and setup (likely now a 9 feet by 16 feet screen)?

If it matters, I noticed the BenQ W1070 comes with two integrated 10-watt speakers and can deliver a picture up to a screen of 235 diagonal inches (a 9 feet by 16 feet would be 220 inches diagonal).

Would that Optoma EH501 ($1,799) be the lowest you'd suggest going on the projector? Or would the BenQ W1070 be an option to consider?

I'm glad I came hear for suggestions before deciding anything smile.gif
post #4 of 37 Old 08-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If you try to use the built in speakers in a projector for an outdoor set up you will be SORELY disappointed. They are totally useless. Better to use an old stereo from a thrift store or something you can find locally on craigslist. You can buy a Y cable for about 6.00 bucks that goes from a 3.5 MM stereo Jack or use red and white RCA phono jacks and connect them to the Line in, Aux or Video in jacks. If you can't mount them on stands Make sure to mount the speakers high enough so that they will broadcast over the heads of 5 foot tall people. If you put them on the ground people that are sitting in front of them will block them.

Bohanna
ffrllc likes this.
post #5 of 37 Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Good advice Bohanna, thanks!

Now I know I need to add the audio portion of this to my list of things I need to further look into smile.gif
post #6 of 37 Old 08-31-2013, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I’m no expert, but I have been doing a similar setup for about 5 years and have tried a number of setups. I haven’t gone 1080 though. I’ve only used 720p projectors which seem to do well enough. It’s not a home theater.
The 1st issue is ambient light. In the summer, unless you wait till 10:00 to start the movie, you’ll be dealing with a lot of it. I found the 3LED projector (Epson 705HD) handles it better that the DLP (MW519). The colors seem to be brighter when the ambient light is present. I’ve also used the Epson 720HD which has great contrast, but the 1600 Lumens don’t cut through the ambient light very well. I’d say you probably need a minimum 2600 Lumen projector and brighter would be better. (I just ordered the new Epson 725HD to hopefully get the best of both worlds)
I can’t tell for sure where the hill starts, but if the projector will be on the hill you’ll have some keystone issues. My daughter has a similar yard and we had to turn the projector upside down (because it was even with the top of the screen). If the hill puts the projector at mid screen height, you may have to angle the screen up the hill and the projector down to avoid having big keystone correction issues.
For sound I started with a 20 watt amp and a pair of 6” book shelf speakers that did OK. I’ve recently added an 80 watt subwoofer that makes a huge difference. Getting the bass out of the bookshelf speakers makes them perform so much better.
I started with an Epson S1+ ($40 off ebay) and a twin sheet ($5 from walmat) and everybody enjoyed it so much. Now about every other weekend we’ll have 25-30 people show up with their lawn chairs.
ffrllc likes this.
post #7 of 37 Old 08-31-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

You really just aren't going to be able to cut through a screen that is about 150 square feet with anything less than a projector which can deliver in excess of about 3,500 lumens after calibration. That's not an 'out of the box brightest' setting, but after a few hundred hours of use and decent calibration, you want to be able to get 3,500 lumens. While the 8350 and W1070 are bright models which can handle large screens, those large screens tend to max out around 1/4 the surface area of your screen and they just won't cut the size you have, which puts me back to recommending the projector that I originally put on the list.

5,000 lumens from that Optoma, 1080p resolution... For under $2,000. You can pick up a stereo receiver and a couple of speakers from Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks if you want, or if you have a way to get audio to your outdoor speakers, you can do that as well. Streaming doesn't work, it has to be instant otherwise you will have lip-sync issues. But, I know I got rid of my old Kenwood stuff for not much money on Craigslist rather quickly. So, that type of stuff pops up all the time.

You don't need HDMI on the receiver, just on the projector, and you should pick up some speaker wire, an extension cord, and an appropriate length HDMI cable from Monoprice or some place similar.

I've been to very large outdoor setups and it is not like indoors where the 8350 and W1070 can look very good. Outside you need the lumens - you must have that horsepower. That way you can go with a 16-20 foot wide 16:9 screen and still have very good to excellent results.
ffrllc likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 37 Old 08-31-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I agree you need at least 3500 lumens even if you find a "Shady Setup" for the screen to get it directly out of the sunlight.
3500 Lumens on a 200" 16:9 screen is 29.6 fL, this is enough to cut through some ambient light but don't expect to be able to watch it if the sun is shining brightly and the screen is unshaded.

The Viewsonic PJD7820HD is probably a cheaper option if you want to go with a smaller screen, say maybe 180" or less. The PJD7820HD is only $700 and it can do 3000 lumens measured by PJC (3300 max). You might consider the Viewsonic and use all the money saved for extra lamps (you'll save over $1000 compared to similarly bright projectors). But you'll be slightly better off with that even brighter Optoma, or something between like a Benq sh910 or Optoma th1060p, those are 2 more to consider. The sh910 and th1060p both do about 3800-4200 lumens in dynamic mode, but they also cost around $1500 (used to be able to get them around $1200 for a short time).
ffrllc likes this.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #9 of 37 Old 09-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Liked: 12
nobody is taking into consideration ambient light levels. Is there a nearby street light? what about the moon, on a full moon night without clouds, you'll need to up your lumen output by 10-20%

21' wide screen is some serous real estate!

Just remember you can always turn a powerful projector down in brightness, but you can't turn a weak projector up.

If i was doing this install, I'd be looking at a large venue event projector, something from Barco, Christie, or Panasonic. I'd be looking at machines that are over 5000 lumens, probably around twice that actually. a nice 10K permantly mounted in it's own shed would be unbeatable!

-OP, i'd say you've got grand aspirations, try starting out a little smaller, learn what works in your yard, and them invest in better more powerful gear.
ffrllc likes this.
post #10 of 37 Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Barco.... ha, ha, ha... Seriously? No, please... tell me you are joking. Next you'll suggest Runco... biggrin.gif

People do outdoor setups on a budget all the time and with minimal ambient light, from twilight on, a decently rated projector which can deliver the light output will do just fine on a screen. It's not a guessing game, it's math. 16'x9' is about 150 square feet. Looking for 13-18 lumens per square foot in a theater environment at home, which means it only needs a bit over 2,000 lumens to be acceptable in a 'dark' situation. So, a recommendation of 5,000 lumens is certainly not a bad way to go while still delivering 1080p video and doing it for under $2,000 which is appropriate for the section of the forums we are in.

Would a Panasonic projector spitting out 8,000+ lumens be even better? Absolutely! Likewise, we can get a Digital Projection, or a Projection Design model as well, but then we are a bit outside the reality of the budget implied by posting here, and from the original post, it doesn't sound like it is at all appropriate.

If light is generally controlled, other than moon light, then it is reasonable to expect about 25 lumens per square foot of screen space is a realistically usable amount of light to produce a very good on screen image (not a poor one), and that would be about a 200 square foot screen, which is larger than what is being proposed in the follow up.

That said, I agree completely that you do want to get the brightest projector you can for the money, make darn well sure it is a 16:9 projector and preferably 1080p, and then blow it up to the size you want to achieve and see how it looks. That will let you know how big your screen can really be while still delivering an acceptable image. I would think 16'x9' is well within that range under most normal outdoor settings.
ffrllc likes this.

post #11 of 37 Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Or the OP can just double stack two projectors I suppose, though you'd need lens shift (well I suppose it's possible without lens shift by changing the zoom that one is using and keystoning one, but would be very difficult to line it up).

Theoretically, get (2) refurbs of any model similar to the Benq sh910's or Optoma th1060p, and you'd have like 8000 Lumens for under $3000, preferably something with a little lens shift.
I certainly wouldn't waste my money on super heavy duty projectors, just double stack cheap ones if you have to.
ffrllc likes this.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #12 of 37 Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I’ve done 15’ wide (about 125 sq ft) with the 705HD (2500 Lumens, about 20 lumens / sq ft) on a white tarp and had a pretty darn good image shortly after dusk. Also 12’ (81 sq ft) with the 720HD (1600 Lumens) on to a bleached white muslin screen looked even better (probably due to the higher contrast), but it had to be totally dark. I would imagine with any kind of a decent screen, you could expect better results with a similar ratio.
I assume you’re not looking for HT quality, because I don’t think you can get there “under the stars.” At least not in a realistic price range (under $3k
ffrllc likes this.
post #13 of 37 Old 09-02-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Art just finishing measuring the lumens on the Viewsonic 7820HD, even though it's only rated at 3000 Lumens, Art measured the brightest mode at 3700 lumens (geeze), PJC measured it at 3300, so let's say 3500 lumens.
This PJ does 2500 lumens in best mode, the $700 Viewsonic will work as long as like the previous poster said, there isn't too much ambient light.

If you have outdoor lights on even at night hitting the screen, could cause issues. You could try to double stack 2 of the Viewsonic for 7000 lumens, that would only cost $1400, but it would be had to do because of no lens shift.

He could get (2) 720p Epson LCD's and double stack those, even easier.
ffrllc likes this.

post #14 of 37 Old 09-02-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the detailed suggestions. As mentioned, I don't know much at all about this stuff so all the info is appreciated. I have to admit, I'm a little confused now smile.gif

I definitely don't like the idea of two projectors and the process of lining them up perfectly.

Some have mentioned I need a very high end projector to work well with the large screen that I'll have (9x16 feet) Let me be clear that this doesn't need to be a perfect picture by any means. I just want something that will look decent/good to the average Joe. I'm well aware that I won't be able to end with a high end result from a basic level budget smile.gif

With this said, I will need a projector that has the full capability of filling the large screen. I'm not looking for something that I will have to finagle or alter in some way to get it to work for that size, just to save a few bucks. As I don't know about these things, the projector will need to be as close to plug and play as possible so I can screw up the configuration, or settings.

There's so many projectors suggested in this thread I'm still lost smile.gif

I should have mentioned budget in the first post, sorry. I'd like to stay under $1,000 if it's possible if there's a projector that would work well in this range. But, I would be willing to go up to $1,500 if needed to get everything I'm looking for:
  1. Very simple to use (no calibration needed for an okay picture)
  2. Work well on a 9x16 foot screen (144 square feet, 220 inches diagonal).
  3. Work well on a screen made of Carl's Place FlexiWhite Material
  4. Work well outdoors
  5. Work being placed 30-35 feet back from the screen (close to the level with the bottom 1/3 of the screen)

So, with this in mind, what specific projector would you suggest?

Thanks again everyone for the great information!
post #15 of 37 Old 09-02-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Before you are stuck on that screen size, let me ask this, how far back will the viewers be sitting from the screen?
ffrllc likes this.

post #16 of 37 Old 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Liked: 17
Does it have to be that big a screen? Is it out of necessity (i.e. keep the screen out of the "party" area hence it will be farther away thus needing bigger size), or is it a wish list thing that I have to have this big a screen which would match a true theater size and truly amuse my friends? If former is the case, you may want to consider portable screens (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-OS132-Outdoor-Indoor/dp/B007X68CEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378179279&sr=8-1&keywords=outdoor+projector+screen). You can have your party and when the guests have settled down for the movie, move the screen closer to where they are sitting. Since they will be closer, a modest size (~150 inches or so) screen will do the trick as well and you will not need to spend the serious money that you would otherwise need to lit a monstrous size screen from 25-30feet away. Due to more "realistic" size of the screen and proximity of the projector from it will automatically result in not only in much better PQ but also less demands on the lumens size... Just saying because your budget (~$1000) and original plans may not match.....

As for audio, wireless may not be good idea or even needed; you can feed your Apple TV directly from the BD player using audio out cables.

good luck! (nice house, by the way smile.gif)
ffrllc likes this.
post #17 of 37 Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Before you are stuck on that screen size, let me ask this, how far back will the viewers be sitting from the screen?

Thanks coderguy!

The hill starts about 15 feet back from where the screen will be (above the fence and against the patio railing). There is about 35 feet of hill that people will have to view from, then another 10-15 feet of flat area on top. Most of the viewing will be from the hill which will be anywhere between 15-50 feet away from the screen. The people viewing from the top of the hill will be 50-60 feet back from the screen.

With this space 9x16 doesn't seem all that large...or am I underestimating how large a 9x16 screen will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by badshah2000 View Post

Does it have to be that big a screen? Is it out of necessity (i.e. keep the screen out of the "party" area hence it will be farther away thus needing bigger size), or is it a wish list thing that I have to have this big a screen which would match a true theater size and truly amuse my friends? If former is the case, you may want to consider portable screens (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-OS132-Outdoor-Indoor/dp/B007X68CEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378179279&sr=8-1&keywords=outdoor+projector+screen). You can have your party and when the guests have settled down for the movie, move the screen closer to where they are sitting. Since they will be closer, a modest size (~150 inches or so) screen will do the trick as well and you will not need to spend the serious money that you would otherwise need to lit a monstrous size screen from 25-30feet away. Due to more "realistic" size of the screen and proximity of the projector from it will automatically result in not only in much better PQ but also less demands on the lumens size... Just saying because your budget (~$1000) and original plans may not match.....

As for audio, wireless may not be good idea or even needed; you can feed your Apple TV directly from the BD player using audio out cables.

good luck! (nice house, by the way smile.gif)

Thanks badshah2000!

See above for my thoughts on the screen size. I'd like to stay with a screen on the larger side even if it means I have to reevaluate my budget to have things work properly.

Are there any budget projectors that would work for screens this large outdoors (understanding that the picture doesn't need to be amazing)?
post #18 of 37 Old 09-02-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

An Epson v350w can be had for $899 from Adorama.com and it comes with a spare lamp if you mail in the rebate form, it is rated at 3700 lumens, so I figure at least 3000 in dynamic mode, maybe more. http://www.adorama.com

The Benq sh910 can do it, you can get a refurbished one for $1100, it can do 3800 lumens in dynamic mode and this MFR refurb comes with a 1-year warranty.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BenQ-SH910-DLP-1080P-Church-Auditorium-Home-Theater-Projector-HDMI-4000-Lumens-/221098112714?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item337a7976ca

You can get a new Benq sh910 for $1350 and it comes with a 3-year warranty instead of 1-year.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=816401&is=REG&Q=&A=details

These projectors do not have lens shift, but for this outdoor setup using Keystone doesn't matter. I bought a refurbished Benq w7000 about 1-year ago, and no issues to report thus far.

On Ebay, there is also an Optoma th1060p available for bidding on, you might be able to get that used one for around $900 if you win the bid.

The Benq sh910 will have the best image of the three, followed closely by the Optoma, then the Epson a somewhat distant last. The Epson is the least bright of the three as well, is a 16:10 aspect instead of 16:9, and the Epson is only 720p, whereas the Benq and Optoma are 1080p. The Benq has wireless video capability for under $80 as an accessory, whereas the others do not.

I would get the Benq if it were me, but you could do some more research to see if you can find anything brighter, but I kind of doubt you will in that price range that fits in your throw (maybe some classroom or other biz projectors).

Here is the comparison of the two by Projector Central:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_sh910_optoma_th1060p_projector_review.htm

ffrllc likes this.

post #19 of 37 Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

See my previous post for my recommendations, but just as an FYI in addition to that post:

The optimal viewing distance for a 220" screen size is anywhere between about 15 feet being the closest to 25 feet back behind the screen, with 18-22 feet being about where most will probably want to sit distance wise. Anything farther back than 25-30 feet and that giant screen starts looking pretty small.

Also note that even though the Optoma th1060p is rated at 4500 lumens vs. the Benq at 4000 lumens, it is hard to say which one will be brighter (I assume about the same), because Optoma tends to exaggerate their brightness rating more so than Benq does. I found 3800 lumens measured for the Benq in Dynamic mode, but did not find measured Lumens for the Optoma. The Benq has a more flexible zoom range, so gives you a little more play on where you want to mount it. The PJC review also stated that the Benq had less RBE effect than the Optoma (which is another win for the Benq). Benqs are also typically sharper than most Optomas.

I think the Benq sh910 is the clear winner here, and it was also PJC's editor's choice for home theater viewing with ambient light.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_sh910_conference_room_projector_review.htm

ffrllc likes this.

post #20 of 37 Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much coderguy!

I've been reading up on the BenQ sh910 thatnks to your suggestions and have one question on this pj. From the reviews I've read, most say that is is a great projector at a great price for rooms with ambient light, but might be too bright for rooms with little ambient light. Some even say it wouldn't be suited for dark rooms as the picture would be too bright.

Here was one positive review on the pj, but points out his views on using this pj in dark environments:
Quote:
Due to the fact that all projector performance gets better with each generation (even as the cost goes down), I always expect to be pleasantly surprised by each new projector's performance and cost.

Having said that, I'm "surprisingly surprised". This projector is amazingly good, and perfect for its intended application, which is for use within rooms that have perfectly normal amounts of ambient light. The trade-off for this much brightness is this: IF you're using it in a room that IS darkened, I believe you will find the dark picture elements to be brighter than you might like, EVEN THOUGH the contrast ratio between the light and the dark are as good as on any projector. In other words, this projector is a gift from the gods in the well-lit conference room (or un-darkened living room) because it can create beautiful, bright 100+ inch 1920x1080 projections without making the room less usable (by dimming the lights or drawing the shades). By extension, if you are buying a projector for a darkened home theater, there are projectors optimized for THOSE design priorities. In other words, not all top-of-the-line projectors are good at the same things. Cars are cars, trucks are trucks. Cars are not BAD trucks, they're just NOT trucks. I expect that at some point in the near future, a misinformed or ignorant buyer will review this projector and complain that it's "too bright" for their darkened room.

Here's a quote from projectorcentral's review:
Quote:
With a 4,000-lumen brightness rating, this DLP projector puts up a stunning 1920x1080 image that shrugs off ambient light. It may be too bright for darkened home theater rooms, but when it comes to daytime viewing in sun-splashed rooms, the SH910 performs beautifully.

Is there any validity to the concern that this projector might be too bright and not really work well for me using this mostly outdoors at night with very little ambient light?

Thanks again for the help so far!
post #21 of 37 Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Not for that giant screen size you are doing, he is talking about using it on much smaller screens. The larger the screen the less bright the image is because the light is spread out over the entire area.

In the projectors economy lamp modes on a new lamp (remember lamps get dimmer over time), then it will be about right in one of the presets. As the lamp wears in, it should still be plenty bright in dynamic mode. The projector has modes that allow it to go down below 2000 lumens, and that will be plenty dark even in a pitch black sky with no stars or moon.

If anything, this projector is barely bright enough for your application of a 220" screen, but I'd say it should work. I mean there aren't many other units I can think of that are brighter around $1300 and that still produce a somewhat home theater experience. This projector isn't a classroom projector like the Epson, it is more of a conference room / home video hybrid which means it should produce video fairly well. Basically, Benq designed it for two reasons, to use on really big screens or to use as a portable business projector in ambient light. The video is going to pretty clean I think.

The last thing you have to worry about is it being too bright since you are going with a 220" screen.

The Optoma th1060p would also work just as good I think, but it doesn't have the wireless option if you need it, and it sounds like it has more RBE.
ffrllc likes this.

post #22 of 37 Old 09-03-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Very helpful information coderguy! Makes sense that the brightness issue is more of a concern on smaller screens.

Sounds like the BenQ sh910 is the one to go with.

Thanks so much for the recomendation!
post #23 of 37 Old 09-03-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Just remember the Benq sh910 has a lot of vertical offset (which means technically the projector should be placed above the screen or far underneath the screen), but I am thinking that this should not matter because you can use Keystone (which counteracts the offset). I am not sure the exact angle you will be able to place the projector since you have a hill (which means the projector is going to be raised), but you can put it on a raised structure upside down as one potential solution.

One thing I noticed is that you said you wanted the projector to be level with the bottom 1/3rd of the screen, I have my doubts that would work unless you plan on keeping the seating area fairly off-center away from the walkway. When a projector is low to the ground and behind viewers (you said 30 feet back), the projected image is likely to get in the way of their seating. Also, since the walkway is the horizontal center-point of the screen, and depending on the height of the hill, I think what would work better is getting a semi-tall structure to place on the hill (not sure what type of structure, but anything that works), and then placing the projector upside down on that structure. Again, since I don't know the height of your hill to the screen, hard to say where you will end up putting it. You can experiment when you get the projector though. A projector with lens shift would be easier, but I just don't see that happening as the amount of bright projectors with a lot of lens shift in this price range is almost non-existent. With public viewings, projector's tend to work better when they are higher up, otherwise people will be getting in the way of the projected path too often and creating distractions.

This Benq is reportedly very very sharp and the Keystone correction on Benqs works better than most projectors, so I have no qualms about saying using the Benq with Keystone enabled in an outdoor environment is a NON-ISSUE.
ffrllc likes this.

post #24 of 37 Old 09-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Liked: 12
for your budget you need to shrink your screen expectations, and also have the ability to position the projector where the machine you get dictates you place it.
The screen size you have in mind will probably work well with the throw distance you want, but you really need some serious power to make that size screen illuminated enough to be viewable.
Probably not attainable with only $1K budget.
ffrllc likes this.
post #25 of 37 Old 09-06-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

We already went over this, the 3800 lumens is enough for his expectations.
ffrllc likes this.

post #26 of 37 Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

One more question after reading the replies again.

coderguy - you mentioned placing the pj on some type of tall structure, up high, and upside down? Would this be needed for this specific pj, or would you suggest this with any pj in the price range?

I was assuming I could place the pj near the bottom portion of the screen. The first landing area on the stairway is about 30 feet back from where the screen will be would be. If I shot a laser straight and level from the landing to to where the screen will be, I'm guessing it would be about 2-3 feet above the bottom of the screen. It wouldn't be a problem to raise it to maybe the halfway point of the screen, but it might be getting pretty high up there to get it even with the top of the screen. Would the halfway point of the screen work well, or would you suggest going that extra to get it as high as the top of the screen?

And I don't understand what the purpose of hanging it upside down. What would that help with?

I don't think it'll be an issue of the projected image getting in the way of the people sitting watching the movie as no one will be sitting on the stairway, or immediately next to it on the hill.

Thanks again coderguy!!!
post #27 of 37 Old 09-07-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrllc View Post

One more question after reading the replies again.

coderguy - you mentioned placing the pj on some type of tall structure, up high, and upside down? Would this be needed for this specific pj, or would you suggest this with any pj in the price range?

I was assuming I could place the pj near the bottom portion of the screen.

And I don't understand what the purpose of hanging it upside down. What would that help with?

As previously noted, the only two projectors that really fit in this price range that I know of are the sh910 and the Optoma th1060p. So I am not aware of a better fit, if I were I would have mentioned it.

Why is placing it high up and upside down a little better?
This is because most projectors (including the Benq) have offsets, so the light does not come out of the center of the lens on this projector.

The light will actually shoot 37" above the projector's lens for a 220" screen, so if you have the projector level with the bottom of the screen, initially (without correction), the image will be shooting over the top of the screen. However, projectors have something called KEYSTONE CORRECTION which allows them to correct this angle, up to about at least 30 degrees, so given how far you back the projector is mounted, I believe you have enough keystone to keep the projector mounted on the floor.

I do however believe if people are sitting only 15 feet back for a 220" diagonal screen, and the PJ is mounted 30' back, then people are going to get in the way of the projected image, unless you have them sitting near the edge of the screen or farther away (which IMO is too far from the center of the screen). Projectors are better positioned when higher up, you can buy outdoor mounts that can be raised like a pole, there are many ways to do it.

The Optoma th1060p has about half the offset of the Benq, but I do not think this matters as you will still need to use some Keystone on both projectors if you mount it near the floor.

There aren't a lot of options for you since you need such a bright projector, so the answer is AFIK most of the projectors in this brightness range have the same issue.
ffrllc likes this.

post #28 of 37 Old 09-07-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again coderguy. Forgive my ignorance, but why would it be best to turn the pj upside down if mounting near the top of the screen?
post #29 of 37 Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Because otherwise the offset works in the opposite direction that you need it to. 37" above the screen with it upside down is where you would be able to set it without keystone.
If you projected right-side up, it would make the amount of keystone correction needed even more (unless PJ is lower towards bottom of screen).
ffrllc likes this.

post #30 of 37 Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like Optoma has a new projector in their ProScene, Large Venue category coming out at the end of this month that looks like it might be a contender.

Here's the link to the pj on Optoma's website: Optoma EH501

Some of the specs:
Quote:
Brightness: 5,000 lumens

Contrast Ratio: 15,000:1 (full on/full off)

Keystone Correction: Auto Keystone ±40° Vertical

Throw Ratio: 1.37-2.05
This throw distance would give me between 21'4"-31'10". This works well for my setup as my pj will sit at just about 30 feet back from the screen.

Projection Distance: 3.2'-32.8'

Image Size (diagonal): 32.4"-300"

Lens Shift: Vertical 115%-134%

What do you guys think about this pj? Would this upcoming Optoma EH501 possibly be a better choice than both the Optomo TH1060, or the BenQ SH910?

Thanks again for all the help!!!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page