Epson 5020UB shows a red patch visible when a scene has dark/black background - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-02-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought 5020UB projector in December of 2012. It is great 3D and 2D projector. I installed it in media room projecting on 120" screen. Around a month back, I saw a red patch visible when a scene is pitch black. Cleaning the lens cover etc didn't fix the problem. Nor the steps that Epson support asked me to perform helped either.

The red dot is not seen when projecting the blue pattern image. It can be seen only when it is dark/black picture. I connected a laptop directly and used MS paint application to draw a black rectangle that covers the area where this red dot (around 1 in in diameter). I can see it clearly. Then I used a white napkin and moved it closely to the lens (me standing right below the projector). I moved it to the area where the red dot is seen. I can see a small mesh of red lines on white napkin when it is covering the area in question.

Is it a known issue?

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Probably a spec of dust on one of the polarizers. LCD projectors are prone to this, some more than others depending on how well they "seal" the light engine. It can never be totally sealed because the LCD block needs air cooling as well as the lamp.

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #3 of 3 Old 09-15-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Epson support is world class. They sent me replacement unit as the unit is still under warranty.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page