Epson 8350, can't set gamma above ~1.2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-03-2013, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I've been lurking on some of the 8350 threads here and have found them helpful. I'm using an 8350 on a 1.1 gain 120" screen, with a throw distance of about 15ft. I don't have the kit to measure my setup, so I'm just trying to visually get things into the right ball-park. For this I have used the software "Quickgamma" and the inbuilt Windows 8 display calibration tool. I've tried all the settings I can find in the Radeon 4850 driver, but to no avail: it is impossible to get gamma to raise above 1.2.

This is my second 8350, and although the first had problems which led Epson to replace it, as I recall it wasn't difficult to get gamma set to approximately 2.2. In case you're not familiar with it, the Windows 8 calibration software displays a pattern (http://www3.pcmag.com/media/images/371367-calibrate-3.jpg?thumb=y) and you manipulate a slider to minimize the visibility of the dots inside the round areas. This wasn't difficult to achieve with the first 8350, but it seems impossible with this one. Similarly for the patterns in Quickgamma.

I've tried completely resetting all settings and starting from scratch. I'm using the AVS calibration clips, so I've got brightness/contrast into the approximately correct ranges, and I've got gamma set to 2.4 on the 8350....

I'd really love any advise on what might be going on.... Hopefully this isn't a problem for which a new projector will be required!

Cheers,
Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-04-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bump...?

After talking with Epson support, they suggested sending out another new 8350. Fingers crossed this one sorts it out, though it would seem very odd...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Epson

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page