LG PF80G First world mini-projector full led 1080p - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 668 Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Found this interesting review from a German site:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://blog.notebooksbilliger.de/angetestet-lg-pf80g-full-hd-led-beamer-mit-miracast-und-widi-unterstuetzung-mit-gewinnspiel/&prev=/search?q%3Dlg%2Bpf80g%26start%3D10%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D663
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 668 Old 02-15-2014, 03:10 PM

Found one more detailed review smile.gif

http://www.prad.de/new/beamer/test/2014/test-lg-pf80g.html
post #543 of 668 Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by owizard View Post

Found one more detailed review smile.gif

http://www.prad.de/new/beamer/test/2014/test-lg-pf80g.html

I couldn't translate it. Any summary of what it said?

Jack
post #544 of 668 Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I couldn't translate it. Any summary of what it said?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.prad.de%2Fnew%2Fbeamer%2Ftest%2F2014%2Ftest-lg-pf80g.html

for those that dunno german :D

P.S. if you use adblock, you might need to disable it. I had to. :(

post #545 of 668 Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for the links to the reviews. It looks like the reviewer detected an inconsistent image focus. Sounds like they went cheap on the lens again. I was hoping they had solved this issue by now. My brother is in the market for a new projector and this one is on the short list. Hopefully this is an isolated issue. I may just end up recommending the Epson 8350 because it will be much easier to install using lense shift and zoom. We will see how the North American version performs once it gets into reviewers hands before we commit though.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole Surrounds
post #546 of 668 Old 02-17-2014, 11:48 AM

I am waiting for the US version and associated reviews as well. If the US version doesn't have significant focus issues, it may be significantly cheaper to import it during a sale than to buy it in Europe.
post #547 of 668 Old 02-28-2014, 12:17 PM

Liked: 10
Well, B&H's estimated availability date for the PF85U came and went yesterday and the date has disappeared. I chatted with a sales rep and he thinks it would most likely be another month before they have it. Bummer.

Despite the focus issues I'm hearing about, i'm probably going to go ahead and get this when its available. I'm coming from an LG H102g with a 800 x 600 resolution which I've absolutely LOVED - but the vga port finally gave out.
post #548 of 668 Old 02-28-2014, 01:38 PM

I also called B&H and they told me that they had no idea when the PF85U would be available. I called LG and the representative had no clue what the PF85U was... I pressed him to find out for me via email or phone contact but he declined to help me with any further information, saying, "that he was sorry that he could not help". So sad that LG can not inform their staff with updated information on their product line. Very discouraging to say the least.mad.gif
post #549 of 668 Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 PM

Well, the Korean version is available on Ebay and via the Amazon Marketplace tongue.gif

With a $400 markup, Korean labels on the remote control buttons, and presumably no warranty, not so sure that'd be a good move.
post #550 of 668 Old 02-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman View Post

I also called B&H and they told me that they had no idea when the PF85U would be available. I called LG and the representative had no clue what the PF85U was... I pressed him to find out for me via email or phone contact but he declined to help me with any further information, saying, "that he was sorry that he could not help". So sad that LG can not inform their staff with updated information on their product line. Very discouraging to say the least.mad.gif

they probably shouldnt even leak that information... also, since there arent even pics up on their website, i doubt they even know themselves, when exactly it will launch and where first (europe again? or is it USA first?)

post #551 of 668 Old 03-04-2014, 07:07 AM

B&H now lists April 14th as the availability date. cool.gif
post #552 of 668 Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Well, lets hope LG makes some updates for the US model...
post #553 of 668 Old 03-05-2014, 03:18 PM

Interesting. Is that a pattern you've seen before? Spec changes based on reviews in other regions?
post #554 of 668 Old 04-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Well, Oculus Rift was bought by Facebook so that turns me off from buying any VR display from them.
I guess I'll get back into the market into buying a LED projector again, maybe.
So the only availability of this projector in the USA is from B&P photo of New York on the 14th of this month.
No work of it being available anywhere else in the USA ?
So why did LG hold off on their introduction of this projector in the USA ?
A bad batch of projectors on their first production run ?
Re-engineered ? and they lurked here on AVS forums to see what people where complaining about and fixed it ?
Put in 3rd ? zoom ? better lens ?
post #555 of 668 Old 04-01-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Don't write off the Rift just because Facebook bought them. Just be cautious of any future version that can jack you into the matrix. wink.gif

(A bunch of us on the Playstation subforum have been discussing that possibility, using the events of Sword Art Online as a basis for what could happen.)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #556 of 668 Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, lol. that's what I was afraid of, into the Matrix
post #557 of 668 Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Those who have this projector who are from other parts of the world ?
After a few months with this LGPF80G how do you like it ?
I went over the CINE review again and noticed in one sentence ? 3D rendering ? under projection mode.
I did read that this projector has a built in level HOOORAY ! and geometry correction , I guess to the screen ?
I wonder what improvements , corrections, or updates LG put into this projector since they held this thing up for 7 months of their introduction in the USA ?
post #558 of 668 Old 04-01-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

Yeah, lol. that's what I was afraid of, into the Matrix

Or we sign up for a VR MMO and we get trapped inside the game with permadeath on (die in game and die in real life) until we beat it. (Plot of SAO)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #559 of 668 Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

More like ? well passed Good Friday now.
post #560 of 668 Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

Those who have this projector who are from other parts of the world ?
After a few months with this LGPF80G how do you like it ?
I went over the CINE review again and noticed in one sentence ? 3D rendering ? under projection mode.
I did read that this projector has a built in level HOOORAY ! and geometry correction , I guess to the screen ?
I wonder what improvements , corrections, or updates LG put into this projector since they held this thing up for 7 months of their introduction in the USA ?

All projectors have "geometry correction" - keystone, trapezoid adjustment etc. You should never actually use them, but they're there for extreme cases where someone doesn't care about degrading image quality.

As for this projector STILL not being here - IMO LG probably realized the obvious fact that they would want to street price this thing in the $1100-1400 range, and it just gets its doors blown off and then some in that price range. No zoom, fairly low brightness, loud cooling fans thanks to small form factor, plastic cheapo lens etc.

I still have hope for LED projectors in the future, but now I'm thinking it's not anywhere in the near term. I'm personally glad I stopped waiting around for this projector to show up and reveal it's list price and moved onto a solid 1080P setup (Mitsubishi HC7900DW - amazing value IMO).
A/VPASSION likes this.
post #561 of 668 Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 PM

Funny that the only place committed to sell this thing is closing for 10 days starting the day this becomes available.
Quote:
Upcoming Passover Holiday Closing
Our NYC SuperStore and Offices will close in observance of the Passover Holiday from Monday, April 14 through Tuesday, April 22.
We will reopen on Wednesday, April 23 at 9:00 am EDT.

I used to live near B&H and 4 out of 5 times i'd go there, they were closed. rolleyes.gif
post #562 of 668 Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 PM

Ya, and now they jacked the price up to 1,299.00. The preorder price was 1,199.00...
post #563 of 668 Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 AM

... and now we're @ May 5th....

perhaps a sign I should begin looking elsewhere.
post #564 of 668 Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosymoms View Post

perhaps a sign I should begin looking elsewhere.
Like at a $800 projector with 2 replacement lamps and about 15,000 hours of runtime for the same price and more than twice the calibrated lumens? biggrin.gif

I'm hoping to get a test sample and will see if that happens at some point.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #565 of 668 Old 04-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Looks like LG has no competition in this 1080p LED projector space. Therefore, these delays look eminent. This is unfortunate because I was hoping manufactures would compete for market share especially now that it is 2014. After doing some research, there doesn't seem to be any full HD LED projectors in this price point which LG is offering from competitors. I thought that I could look forward to 2014 finally being the year for LEDs rise. Now I can't seem to pick a year when this will happen. I have had bad experiences with LG products in the past and was hoping for LG to be a leader in this race and LG can redeem themselves. However, I now understand that reasonable priced full LED projectors are not involved in a race to market at all. Are there any manufacturers monitoring these forums willing to be innovators? If so, listen up

My 2 cents and then some
post #566 of 668 Old 04-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

They do have competition - from traditional bulb projectors. They probably just didn't want to bring it to the US since it'd street at so high of a price it'd be going against projectors that are 1-2 steps above entry level 1080P, and wouldn't really measure up well at all. I'm betting at the price range they want the street price to settle into, most competitors will have frame interpolation, dynamic iris, way way more lumens, way more positioning flexibility, much less noise, better focus uniformity etc.

Basically the bulb projectors would dominate it, and there's only so much value you can assign to no bulb replacements since the cost of those is steadily inching down.

Trust me, I loved having my LED PA70G to fire up at a moments notice and not worry one bit about. But I don't really worry about my HC7900 running that much either since the image it throws up is absolutely amazing compared to the PA70G.
post #567 of 668 Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 PM

post #568 of 668 Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

I'm all for big screen size... but really, I'd start thinking about a 70" LCD for about the same cost as the PF85U.

I also think they downplayed the pretty obnoxious noise from running in min energy saving mode. My PA70G was pretty useless in this mode, and I very very rarely used it because the fans were easily audible over almost all material.

IMO, that review didn't even expand on how much of a negative it is to not have any zoom or a small form factor that causes high amounts of fan noise - especially as it relates to other $1300 projectors out today. I put up with those shortcomings on a project that was 1/3 as much (PA70G), but at $1300 you can buy a really nice 1080P projector and a shelf full of bulbs to watch it to your heart's content.
post #569 of 668 Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminheimer View Post

Full review:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lg_pf85u_projector_review.htm
The review from Projector Central really paints a pretty picture for this model, but makes absolutely no comparison of this model to the venerable W1070 or HD25/HD131x models which is what the real comparison is. People on the 'cheap' aren't buying a $1,300 projector, they are buying $500 models. At the $1,300 price point the HD131/W1070 offers a 1080p model with zoom and perhaps even a couple of replacement lamps for the 'same' price.

But, points about input lag were real and stood on their own. This isn't exactly a gamers projector, and may even be so laggy as to need audio delay compensation in an A/V receiver.

The brightness discussion seemed to be equally off-point.
Quote:
While brightness tops out around 700 lumens, the projector looks great on a 60" to 80" diagonal screen even with some ambient light present.

That's a completely worthless size for most viewers who can go out an buy a 70" LED for not a lot more cash and a 60" TV for a fair bit less cash. So, when talking front projection we should be at least in the 100" range, more often the 110" to 120" range. If all this projector can manage is a decent 80" image, then it should go in the 'Do not buy!' pile right now.

I don't think that's the case, but Bill didn't touch on it during the review, and it was one thing he really should have. He certainly should not have mentioned the terrible Black Diamond screen which sparkles it's way to a lousy on screen image as an option for larger sizes. No.

The features certainly seem appropriately rated with 5 stars as this model certainly does offer more internal features than most others. But, no lens shift and no zoom, make me question a 4-star ease of use rating. I always think that features and ease of use somewhat cross, and need to be separated. This projector is not easy to setup compared to most others, it is extremely limited in fact and the one adjustment it has (focus) tends to bump the projector. Only models like the 5030 from Epson or JVC RS46 with extensive zoom range and lens shift should be 5-star ease of use products. The limited zoom lens shift of the W1070 may make it 4 stars. The average models like the HD131 or 3020 should be closer to 3 stars, and this model doesn't even offer that level of setup ease. So, 2-stars? But, it gets 4 stars. Inappropriate IMO.

Features, such as wi-fi DLNA, Smart support, and internal tuner frankly put it ahead of almost everyone else in terms of features. In fact, it seems to redefine what features a projector can, and perhaps should, have. But, other manufacturers will only be able to go down that road if they include Roku or a similar produce embedded. In fact, I would likely trust Roku embedded more than I would trust features delivered by LG. But, that's just me. 5-stars? Sure! But still, a lack of 3D is kind of weird to not have these days.

Performance of 4.5 stars? Based on what? Brightness? Color quality? Motion handling? Black levels? Shadow detail? Sharpness? Image uniformity? Noise level? Some of these items aren't even discussed, and some are known to be bad. I don't see this as anywhere near a 4.5 star projector in terms of overall performance. But it's not that way for other projectors as well IMO. There are very few 4.5+ star projectors out there in terms of actual image performance.

Value - 5 stars? Yeah, I'll go down that road. I won't argue it. The use of a LED engine with a projector bright enough to handle a 110" diagonal (it better!) for $1,300 with a lifetime light engine? Maybe 4.5 stars, but I will give it 5 stars. I think value always relates to the overall quality, features, and performance that you get for the money spent, and this one does seem to exceed in many areas. But, dollars for lumens to video quality, which seem to be the big comparisons, it doesn't match up to the HD131x or the W1070. Not even close. Add in total cost of ownership, and it gets a lot closer because there are no lamps to replace. But, expecting a LG product to actually last 20,000+ hours is not what I would consider a realistic basis. Instead, I would expect about 10,000 hours of use. Perhaps 2 replacement lamps on a traditional lamp projector. Suddenly things get much closer in terms of price and TCO and... value. Still, it's a lot less than Optoma's HD81 projector, and is a unique model for sure.

I was hoping that Evan could have gotten me a sample to put up head-to-head with my W1070 and on a 1.3 gain screen in a more typical 'lights out, but not properly light controlled' basement situation. A 'after dark' family room setup would be similar. It would have been fun to see what an actual acceptable size was, how it really compared to the venerable W1070, and what noise levels and image quality, and the rest was like. I may reach out to him again to see if that may be possible.
A/VPASSION likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #570 of 668 Old 04-15-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Wait, the 85 doesn't do dlp-link 3D? I thought it was the 80 that lacked 3D (and coaxial) and the 85 added those two features for a few hundred more.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Electronics Pa70g Micro Portable Led Projector , Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd91 Full Led 1080p Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page