LG PF80G First world mini-projector full led 1080p - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 683 Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just like it was back a year or two with the LG PA70G and then LG releases the LG PA75U with full 3D.
The LG PA85U would be like the LG PA70G but without the 3D.
I did read on a Korean electronics site that it's DLP link ready so I don't know what that means, perhaps ? it won't enable all 3D ?
But why in this day and age ?

It has Dark Chip 3

Here is their link: Korean LG

http://www.lge.co.kr/lgekr/product/d...tab_features_2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 683 Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No 3D information on Korean LG site.
But I see a 3D Magic Remote picture in PF87K Korean site:
http://www.lge.co.kr/lgekr/product/d...tab_features_3
And I see a not 3D Magic Remote picture in PF85U USA site:
http://www.lg.com/us/projectors/lg-P...-led-projector

I think PF87K is a 3D Ready projector.
post #663 of 683 Old 07-08-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGonczy View Post

I think PF87K is a 3D Ready projector.
lets hope its even a full 3d projector with hdmi 1.4 input. then i'm all in for an update
cant wait for the ifa in september
post #664 of 683 Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayd View Post
What about THIS one? It's the only one that shows up on LG site for actual sale
The PF85U is the USA release version of the PF80U and is the one that most people are discussing within this thread. No known differences between the PF80U and PF85U that I am aware of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #665 of 683 Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Just like it was about a year or two ago when LG released the PA70G with a half baked 3D set up when you had to jump through hoops just to get some kind of 3D going but not all 3D formats.
That was until ? LG released the LG PA75U when you just simply plug and play and you had 3D with many different 3D formats, so as long as your player or input device had the right format.
I would venture to guess it's the same with the PF85U except the PF85U did not come with 3D but perhaps later this year in September LG might ? maybe ? release the Korean version the PF87K in the USA as the PF87U ? with a working 3D with many formats to choose from.
But in this day and age why released something with a half backed 3D set up ?
I felt sorry for those who bought the LG PA70G and had to go through all the trouble just to get some kind of 3D going.
post #666 of 683 Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Pardon my double posts but I looked at Cine4Home's review of the LGPF80G and looked the picture of the dissembled projector and I saw only 1 XD video processor.
I wonder if the PF85U ? would only have one ?
Or perhaps , maybe if LG releases a US version of the LG PF87K would it have tripple XD engine ?
Of course it would come at a higher price.
post #667 of 683 Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 PM

IT's the best LED projector available now (Not counting the ones that could 5K)
post #668 of 683 Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

If the price comes down on the LGPF85U drastically I am going to hold onto my money until I see what comes out later this fall by either LG or other projector companies.
Until then I have the LG PA75U to keep me happy.
post #669 of 683 Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
https://translate.google.de/translat...-text=&act=url

am i right that the projector still needs a converter box for 3d? does it support 3d in full hd... so 1080p at 120hz?
post #670 of 683 Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Bought a PF87k yesterday, will post more when it arrives.

Expensive at about $1,500US or $1,800AU but not many 1920x1080 LED 3D projectors around is there ?

There's about 3 on ebay, with absolutley no reviews for this unit yet.

Korean model, so i will need new remotes and a new power cord.

Anyone know the Model Numbers of both of the remotes? I'm guessing it will same as other LG projectors.

Anyone know if the built in tuner will work in Australia? I'm guessing not, but not sure.

Last edited by PittyH; 07-20-2014 at 09:21 PM.
post #671 of 683 Old 07-25-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyH View Post
Bought a PF87k yesterday, will post more when it arrives.

Expensive at about $1,500US or $1,800AU but not many 1920x1080 LED 3D projectors around is there ?

There's about 3 on ebay, with absolutley no reviews for this unit yet.

Korean model, so i will need new remotes and a new power cord.

Anyone know the Model Numbers of both of the remotes? I'm guessing it will same as other LG projectors.

Anyone know if the built in tuner will work in Australia? I'm guessing not, but not sure.
http://www.dtvstatus.net/map/map.html

Korea----->ATSC
Australia--->DVB-T

Not work in Australia...not work in Spain and the rest of Europe

PF80G is very expensive here (around 1000€)
I can't wait to make the leap to the 1080p led but for now I still continue with my beloved PB60G
post #672 of 683 Old 08-29-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
http://www.wi-fi.org/certified-produ...=org&order=asc

The misterious PF1500...And if it were FullHD LED, Native 3D, Glass Lens, Zoom, and Affordable price.

Too good to be true...or maybe not?
post #673 of 683 Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So the PF87k is better then the Acer k750, viewsonic pro9000 and optoma hd91? Does this projector have zoom, anamorphic lens, glass lens, and no focus issues? "half clear/half blurred screen"
post #674 of 683 Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh89 View Post
So the PF87k is better then the Acer k750, viewsonic pro9000 and optoma hd91? Does this projector have zoom, anamorphic lens, glass lens, and no focus issues? "half clear/half blurred screen"
It matches or beats them in color-accuracy, native on/off contrast, resolution, motion clarity, extra features, portability, and price.
They match or beat it in calibrated brightness, still-picture clarity, placement flexibility, and dynamic contrast.

None of what you've listed comes with an included anamorphic lens, but all can support one.
They still haven't included zoom on the LG for some reason.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #675 of 683 Old 08-29-2014, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
It matches or beats them in color-accuracy, native on/off contrast, resolution, motion clarity, extra features, portability, and price.
They match or beat it in calibrated brightness, still-picture clarity, placement flexibility, and dynamic contrast.

None of what you've listed comes with an included anamorphic lens, but all can support one.
They still haven't included zoom on the LG for some reason.
Still-picture quality? Placement flexibility is important for me! I currently have a Acer k750, would it be worth it to get it or no? I'm thinking about getting a Vizio 70" 4k TV by November, and I know for a fact that it would beat it, or should I say kill it! In picture quality/clarity, but 70" is just a bit too small for me! The smallest I would get for a TV to permanently replace my projector in my living room is 84/85" inches! I just remembered that some company is selling a 84" 4k TV for $6000 with free shipping,. That's coming very close to a high-end projector, would it be better for me to go that route, seeing as the prices are coming down? If I find the link and brand, I'll post it!

I currently use a 110" screen from about 10 feet away, would it be worth it to try and wait it out for better LED projectors to come out next year, or go with the Vizio for the time being instead?
post #676 of 683 Old 08-30-2014, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 143
If placement flexibility is important, then the LG is best avoided as it has very limited and finicky placement for mounting.

Is the Acer close to death or looking really pixelated that you're looking at 4K flatscreens?

If I had a $6K budget, I'd wait to see what 4K LCoS prices drop to or see if something really nice comes out for LED.

Simple
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #677 of 683 Old 08-30-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Been using my LG PF80G for 10 months now and loving it... image as bright as the day I bought it, whisper-quiet on eco mode (which only very slightly reduces light output), great image on white wall in twilight room (ie, just too dark to read). Yes, there is slight rainbowing - but you have to engage rapid-eye-movement to see it. Yes, a glass lens would probably give edges you could cut your finger on.

I'm planning to get a grey/silver retro-reflective screen which should take the blacks closer to 100% whilst punching up the brightness to flat-screen levels. This sturdy, neat and compact machine already has no problems beaming out a very good 100 / 120" image onto my white wall.
post #678 of 683 Old 08-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh89 View Post
All the "portable" LG projectors have pretty bad focus uniformity and pronounced CA due to the cheap optics.

I don't like the idea of replacing bulbs, but from seeing where LG has gone with the price and small real world performance improvement of their LED models since the PA70G, I'm not that enthusiastic about any of the current LED offerings.

When I first powered on my Mitsubishi HC7900DW, I was absolutely blown away at how sharp and "true" the picture was compared to my LG PA70G.

Paying $1200+ for a tiny 1080P projector with loud fans, poor focus uniformity, no zoom, and pretty bad CA - or conversely, upwards of $700-800 for a 720P projector with the same shortcomings is just not that competitive these days with lower end bulb projectors.

The PA70G was $400-450 for a long time 2+ years ago, and offers performance very close to what LG is offering these days.

A $800 bulb projector and $400 of bulbs probably gives more life than you'd ever use on a projector before it's upgraded.
post #679 of 683 Old 08-30-2014, 03:15 PM

Another asset LG PF80g has over nearly all other projectors currently on the market is its separate RGB light engines. Its three LED channels of pure-spectrum colour provides an unrivalled depth and richness to the projected image. Aside from their short lifespan and fast drop-off in luminosity, regular projector bulbs, of course, are limited to pumping a single-colour light (warm white) through filters where the beam is broken down into impure approximations of red, green and blue... before being mixed again to try to achieve the intended colour palettes of the projected image.

With rapid developments in LED diode power, there will undoubtedly be moves towards bringing a single chip 'white-light' LED projector to market (indeed, DIYers are already building such devices with impressively high lumen counts). But from a colour perspective, these will be even 'dirtier' than the currently ubiquitous bulbs. A 'raw' white LED is in fact blue in its pure colour value... the warm white required for projection is approximated by coating the chip face with phosphor (that same yellowy gunk now a familiar sight on common household LEDs). As we can see, by the time the light leaves the lens of such a projector it will already have been through even more levels of corruption than machines powered by bulbs.

The PF80g's three light engines return colour purity and range to that which the old cathode ray projectors were (and still are) highly valued for. That's why I held off replacing my old InFocus projector until LG brought this amazing technology to market (at an affordable price). And that's why I was probably one of the first people in the UK to buy one (imported from a Germany supplier)... I've been smiling ever since.
post #680 of 683 Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I've had no issues getting my bulb projector calibrated well. In fact, my PA70G was a total pain to get the "cartoonish" colors out of it, and it dropped about 20-25% of its lumens doing that. So I usually put up with a little bit of "extra vivid" color to get a little more oomph out of the image, since the low 300 lumen range on a 110" screen was a little lacking.
post #681 of 683 Old 09-12-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Price Reduced!

Just noticed that on two different sites the price is now $1149.

Jack
post #682 of 683 Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Just noticed that on two different sites the price is now $1149.
That's still too much for what it is. It was mentioned earlier that it might be possible to install a glass lens; has anyone ever attempted this yet? I was also thinking about budget projectors (the ones with bulbs) and how come nobody (manufacturer) has ever ventured into making LED replacements for them. I'm sure they would coast a small fortune up front, but could potentially last much longer, use less power, and most importantly not need constant adjustments. Just thinking aloud here.
post #683 of 683 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Liked: 21
Bulb Sales make more profit that projectors sales now:

According to a friend of mine that works for a distributor.
Bulb sale profits for several years have made more money
than overall projector sales. We are talking millions here.

They really don't want to see an LG with a nice glass lens
and zoom on it.

Keep it off the market as long as possible!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Electronics Pa70g Micro Portable Led Projector , Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector , lg pf80g , Optoma Hd91 Full Led 1080p Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page