LG PF80G First world mini-projector full led 1080p - Page 24 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #691 of 695 Old 03-06-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
After watching the price jump up and down on an almost hourly basis, I picked up one from Amazon. Not quite under $1k, but close.

I was a little worried that it would not focus over 120" or that the Projector Central Calculator indicated that the brightness (at 140" diag) was too low, but it worked great and I can even view TV with the lights on - if a little noisy (fan). For serious watching, lights off, and brightness down and it's much quieter that the Infocus SP4805 it replaced.

A couple of slight differences from the manual were noted. It will pass analog audio inputs to the digital output. It will allow "Zoom" on HDMI inputs, not just 4:3 and 16:9. Zoom seems to have a lot of customization ability. Better documentation would be nice.

Lack of lens zoom was not a deal breaker but non-adjustable feet made side to side tilt an issue. However, the rubber feet have threaded centers (for ceiling mounts, I presume) so I used some small screws to provide infinite adjustment. I put it on a large mouse pad (metal screw heads) but you can buy small rubber feet for a more elegant leveling solution.
Why would you buy this outdated model for that kind of price when the PF1500 will be out in a couple of months for less money. Send it back while you can and wait!

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 695 Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Why would you buy this outdated model for that kind of price when the PF1500 will be out in a couple of months for less money. Send it back while you can and wait!
I kinda felt like saying about the same thing. The PF1500 seems like such a brilliant update to everything. Brighter and quieter with a bit of zoom while retaining 1080p. I certainly may be hyping that up a bit more after it hits the market. Hope LG gets better distribution with it and gives us the 3D/smart features with it in the USA.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #693 of 695 Old 03-06-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Well, I needed a replacement now and not later. It fit my needs and is more than bright enough. I couldn't hold my breath any longer and wait on an unknown release date, pricing, and availability.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #694 of 695 Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post
So now a $1500 projector that you killed the warranty on by hacking into it?

I'll take my $800 Mitsu HC7900DW and $700 of bulbs (~30000-35000 hrs) at that point! Every single pixel is razor sharp across the entire screen, dynamic iris, frame interpolation, usable 3D, zoom AND lens shift.

I was really happy with my PA70G for the image it put out with not having to worry about bulbs for the 1.5 years I had it. It made sense at $450 vs. <$500 bulb projectors at the same. But I don't see how in the world you'd actually choose this over a $1300 bulb projector, or a $800-900 bulb projector and a closet full of bulbs to watch until it's painfully obsolete.

No disagreement about the lens quality issue, but bulbs? No. I still have a HC3000 that works just fine, but I hate the bulb issue. The focus may not drift, but a lot of other settings drift as the bulb ages.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #695 of 695 Unread Today, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I kinda felt like saying about the same thing. The PF1500 seems like such a brilliant update to everything. Brighter and quieter with a bit of zoom while retaining 1080p. I certainly may be hyping that up a bit more after it hits the market. Hope LG gets better distribution with it and gives us the 3D/smart features with it in the USA.
After seeing reports on the PF1500 and looking at the manual, I'm still happy about my purchase. They don't supply an IR remote with the 1500. This means you can't set up Macros or discrete commands on a Universal remote. (maybe)

They do not have an Amazon Prime App on the 1500
No 3-D either
I use all of the input connectors. Cables coming off the side would not work well on the rack it's located on.

The PF1500 would probably be great mounted on the ceiling with a single HDMI cable fed from an AVR for switching and using only the Magic Remote. But that is not my setup.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Electronics Pa70g Micro Portable Led Projector , Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector , lg pf80g , Optoma Hd91 Full Led 1080p Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com