7 Foot ceiling too low for ceiling mount? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My throw distance is 13' 10" which gives me a screen size of 120" and a drop of 10" for a 16:10 reason why I'm asking is for my L & R speakers.. not too sure if I'm going to have enough room or have to move it to another wall (avoid) typical speaker height is what 26"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You should click over to the DIY Screen section and read up on Acoustically Transparent screen systems. Mount your speakers behind the screen instead of off to the sides.

The flavor of the month seems to be double milliskin Spandex. It will allow you to maintain a large screen in a small room with a low ceiling (like mine).

Darkened walls and ceilings are even more important in this situation.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

You should click over to the DIY Screen section and read up on Acoustically Transparent screen systems. Mount your speakers behind the screen instead of off to the sides.

The flavor of the month seems to be double milliskin Spandex. It will allow you to maintain a large screen in a small room with a low ceiling (like mine).

Darkened walls and ceilings are even more important in this situation.

I should state i can't do a AT screen because the walls are solid concrete, the viewing room size is 7'H x 9'W x 15'D it shares with the dining room but I did not count that in the width measurement.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Those dimensions are almost identical to mine (including the "shared room." ) So...

Make that "15-foot D" one foot less -- "14 foot." That gives you eleven inches behind the screen to place speakers. (And you don't even have to do that if you can mount the speakers in the wall.) Many modern "tower" speakers are deeper than they are wide. But that becomes moot when you deploy a subwoofer on the floor.

You don't have to make the whole room a black hole -- just the four or five feet immediately in front of the screen.

Mount the PJ all the way to the rear, and you'll have an 11 to 12-foot throw distance, which is pretty compatible with a wall-to-wall screen in your room (i.e., 103 inches wide, 115 diagonal). We're talking about an L-sectional for three or four people, not a full-fledged "stadium" theater that will wow the AVS crowd.

I have some other thoughts on the wall treatments, as well as "slanting" the display screen in this particular space towards the opposite corner, but... well....

That's enough for now.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 05:10 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

I should state i can't do a AT screen because the walls are solid concrete, the viewing room size is 7'H x 9'W x 15'D it shares with the dining room but I did not count that in the width measurement.

Not sure if you have considered this but solid concrete is going to make for some interesting acoustics wink.gif Is there currently anything there or just the concrete walls?

If you don't want to put tower speakers on the side of the screen, another option would be to frame out a new wall in front of the concrete, put speakers in the new wall and use a AT screen. You'd only lose ~5" off the 15' depth of the room.

Rick
post #6 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

Not sure if you have considered this but solid concrete is going to make for some interesting acoustics wink.gif Is there currently anything there or just the concrete walls?.

Hell yeah. If you have untreated concrete walls you are going to learn the "hard" way why that is a bad idea. I know, I found out with just plain plaster walls. If you are talking straight concrete, you are going to want to buy or build some acoustic panels ....
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have stuff in the room if that's what you are asking about, no it does not sound hollow.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 09:16 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
what's on top of the concrete? studs with drywall?

Rick
post #9 of 9 Old 09-14-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

My basement room is 7-1/2'H x 9'W x 14'D.

Relative to the projector location at the "rear", the 14-foot-long wall to the right is solid concrete; the opposite (left) wall is 2x6 stud (for the six feet in front of the display screen) and the remaining six feet (closer to the PJ and couch) is a passway open to the kitchen.

The A/T screen is 115" diagonal (wall-to-wall). It is suspended from the ceiling joists/furring, one foot in front of the plywood shearwall behind it. Speakers behind the screen, subwoofer under it.

Throw distance to the screen is eleven feet. Viewing distance to the couch underneath the PJ is ten feet.

The wall behind the screen (9'W x 7-1/2'H) is a stud-plywood shearwall. The ceiling is 2x6 joists with 5/8" sheetrock (mounted on rubberized furring strips 24" O/C), covered by 2' x 4' acoustic tiles painted black for the first six feet in front of the PJ.

Acoustics: "Softwalls." The concrete wall to the right is planed and furred out two inches with shimmed 2x4 studs, stuffed with R-13 fiberglass and covered with plastic lattice that supports and is covered with dark green indoor/outdoor carpet. The opposite wall is similar but uses R-19 in the 2x6 stud plenum space. Both left and right walls have effects speakers mounted in the walls, and there are "rear" effects speakers to the left and right of the PJ in the ceiling corners to complete the 7.1 audio setup.

The wall behind the screen has 1/2" soundboard covering the plywood sheathing, and is finished with black indoor/outdoor carpet.

Finished acoustics are somewhat "dry" in stereo mode (which is good for clear dialogue articulation), but fill out nicely with the effects speakers. The bass peaks and dips aren't too bad, probably due to the presence of the open passway.

The main compromises with this cozy setup are (1) the location of the rear surround speakers, which would be more effective in a larger (deeper) room, and (2) projector fan noise, as the PJ is above the viewing couch. I can live with (1); I am exploring the possibility of shooting the PJ through an existing window behind the couch, which would eliminate the noise.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page