BenQ W1070 vs. Epson 2030 direct comparison (yes, I have both) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 149 Old 11-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Helmutz88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought the 2030 about a month ago after reading a bazillion reviews on both of these projectors. I am coming from a Mitsu HC1500, so either was a huge upgrade.
The first thing i noticed was how pink the actors lips were, like bright pink..after playing and dialing the 2030 in, i put in Avatar as my test cd and it was nothing short
of awesomeness !! In a quiet room the fan is noticeable, but i only game and watch movies at a high volume so i don't hear it at all.

My only negative for this purchase is it's gaming speed. It has options for speeds and other things that are supposed to enhance the game play, but it does not IMO.
For the COD players, i only play zombie maps, and at high levels this projector totally jams out. It is like being on a half ounce of mushrooms and watching smoke rings
develop it's so slow. It plays normally until the game speed is to much.

For basic gaming it's great, movies its pretty dang good for a G note. Haven't watched 3d on it yet..

Def Tech BP 2000's

Def Tech BPVX Surrounds

Polk Monitor 70's Wired Together Center Channel

Dual Elemental Design A5-350 Subs

Epson 2030 Projector

Screen Goo Self 120 Inch Screen

Sony Blu Ray

Carver Sunfire TGIII Receiver

Helmutz88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 149 Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Newbie
 
mufiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidd View Post


If you have Amazon Prime, shipping is FREE in both directions. I purchased a 2030 and 1080ST as both projectors can work in my situation. After 4 days the Epson went back, the image quality differences were amazing, with the Epson scraping the bottom of the barrel. Now as far as the RBE, for the 1st week, I did not see it. Today, I see it on occasion only IF my eyes are not properly focused on the image. It's not too bothersome as I know how to use my eyes not to see it.

Personally, I'd rather have a once in a while RBE than the fuzzy/blurry/digitally mangled image quality that the 2030 pushes out :

BenQ 1080ST (same as 1070)


Epson 2030 Fine image quality (really?)


Epson 2030 FAST image quality (yep - send it back!)

Are you being serious?!? Did you have the Epson properly focused and everything set up like should be??

 

Been contemplating between these two models and reading reviews for a couple of months now but if this is the case here my mind is clearly set because of this one single post! Thank you!

mufiko is offline  
post #93 of 149 Old 01-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
vidkidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Unfortunately, that is the "best" image the 2030 could push out. If it could do better, I would have a 2030 in my theatre rather than the 1080ST. I'm rather particular with regards to image quality on display devices and the 2030 failed(my posy history should make that clear). I guess I'm more apt to point the issue out as I don't have any advertisers to worry about upsetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufiko View Post

Are you being serious?!? Did you have the Epson properly focused and everything set up like should be??

Been contemplating between these two models and reading reviews for a couple of months now but if this is the case here my mind is clearly set because of this one single post! Thank you!
vidkidd is offline  
post #94 of 149 Old 01-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidd View Post

Unfortunately, that is the "best" image the 2030 could push out. If it could do better, I would have a 2030 in my theatre rather than the 1080ST. I'm rather particular with regards to image quality on display devices and the 2030 failed(my posy history should make that clear). I guess I'm more apt to point the issue out as I don't have any advertisers to worry about upsetting.

So did you end up keeping the 1080ST? This is the projector that would best suit my room and plan on getting it within the next year or so. How do you like it?
butie120 is offline  
post #95 of 149 Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
vidkidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

So did you end up keeping the 1080ST? This is the projector that would best suit my room and plan on getting it within the next year or so. How do you like it?

I sure did and could't be happier. While it's not perfect, it serves well at a < $1000 price point. Considering where we are in 2014, there should be a new ST coming to market soon based on the W1500 platform. Whether this replaces the 1080ST or compliments to the line up is an unknown.

From my experience, if you see a sudden drop in the 1080ST price, lower than it's been, and at multiple resellers, they may be clearing the channel of inventory prior to a new product launch. Always a good time to get last years tech at great deal.
vidkidd is offline  
post #96 of 149 Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidd View Post

I sure did and could't be happier. While it's not perfect, it serves well at a < $1000 price point. Considering where we are in 2014, there should be a new ST coming to market soon based on the W1500 platform. Whether this replaces the 1080ST or compliments to the line up is an unknown.

From my experience, if you see a sudden drop in the 1080ST price, lower than it's been, and at multiple resellers, they may be clearing the channel of inventory prior to a new product launch. Always a good time to get last years tech at great deal.

Thanks for your input. Yeah, I think the lowest I've seen on the 1080ST is $849, but it didn't last there very long. It's more typical to be around that $900-949 price point. I wish there was some information about when and if Benq plans on releasing another ST this year. As you said, I'm sure that would bring the price down even more.
butie120 is offline  
post #97 of 149 Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm writing this on my phone so please excuse the typos.

I have been trying out both of these projectors for the last week and must say that both are incredible values. Both have taken turns as my favorite at least a few times. I will use the projector for movies, 3d, TV, and gaming. Currently, they are both being projected on a bare white wall. I had officially decided on the w1070 after debating long and hard a couple days ago. I loved the vividness of the epson but the sheer sharpness of the benq tipped the scale for me. Then I realized that the sharpness of the benq is set to max out of the box. Since I had finally made up my mind I was hesitant to look again but I decided to give the epson one more shot. I turned up the sharpness to max and was astonished that they became almost equal in clarity. I have another week to decide but they are neck and neck once again, here is the breakdown:

Sharpness: almost identical in my opinion with the adjusted settings. I go back and forth depending on the content. I fully understand that this is not the accepted opinion out there but it's what my eyes tell me (I am also surprised).

Color accuracy: Benq, it looks more like a natural picture, a movie theater.

Brightness: the epson has bright and vivid colors. The image has a lot of punch and depth.

Blacks: the benq clearly. Blacks are about twice as dark. It has darker blacks even with the epson dynamic iris engaged.

Contrast: very similar. I say that because the epson's bright colors offset the appearance of the lighter blacks.

Gaming: the benq has better lag in normal mode but the fine mode of the epson makes the lag fairly comparable. Fine mode does lose some fine detail and a little brightness but it still looks great. This is about a wash depending on the look you prefer.

Ability to handle a huge screen and ambient light: I set up both as 165" screens to see if they could handle the size and both were suitable. The epson's brightness made it handle the huge screen better in my opinion, it was still punchy and bright. The benq was able to handle it as well but the brightness suffered more.

Ability to handle ambient light: The epson is also slightly better in ambient light because of the brightness but both were admirable in that respect, better than I expected.

All of this is a matter of opinion but mine is that you can't go wrong. One is theater-like similar to a plasma look and the other is bright and vivid like an LED. Both are clear and beautiful. I almost wish I just bought one and was happy with it. I'm leaning slightly epson at the moment because the vividness appeals to my eye and also my 3d glasses work with it but that may change tomorrow wink.gif
lard canoe is offline  
post #98 of 149 Old 02-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Edit - sorry I said in my post that fine mode makes the lag comparable but I meant fast. Thanks!
lard canoe is offline  
post #99 of 149 Old 02-10-2014, 01:54 AM
Newbie
 
mufiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lard canoe View Post

I'm writing this on my phone so please excuse the typos.

I have been trying out both of these projectors for the last week and must say that both are incredible values. Both have taken turns as my favorite at least a few times. I will use the projector for movies, 3d, TV, and gaming. Currently, they are both being projected on a bare white wall. I had officially decided on the w1070 after debating long and hard a couple days ago. I loved the vividness of the epson but the sheer sharpness of the benq tipped the scale for me. Then I realized that the sharpness of the benq is set to max out of the box. Since I had finally made up my mind I was hesitant to look again but I decided to give the epson one more shot. I turned up the sharpness to max and was astonished that they became almost equal in clarity. I have another week to decide but they are neck and neck once again, here is the breakdown:

Sharpness: almost identical in my opinion with the adjusted settings. I go back and forth depending on the content. I fully understand that this is not the accepted opinion out there but it's what my eyes tell me (I am also surprised).

Color accuracy: Benq, it looks more like a natural picture, a movie theater.

Brightness: the epson has bright and vivid colors. The image has a lot of punch and depth.

Blacks: the benq clearly. Blacks are about twice as dark. It has darker blacks even with the epson dynamic iris engaged.

Contrast: very similar. I say that because the epson's bright colors offset the appearance of the lighter blacks.

Gaming: the benq has better lag in normal mode but the fine mode of the epson makes the lag fairly comparable. Fine mode does lose some fine detail and a little brightness but it still looks great. This is about a wash depending on the look you prefer.

Ability to handle a huge screen and ambient light: I set up both as 165" screens to see if they could handle the size and both were suitable. The epson's brightness made it handle the huge screen better in my opinion, it was still punchy and bright. The benq was able to handle it as well but the brightness suffered more.

Ability to handle ambient light: The epson is also slightly better in ambient light because of the brightness but both were admirable in that respect, better than I expected.

All of this is a matter of opinion but mine is that you can't go wrong. One is theater-like similar to a plasma look and the other is bright and vivid like an LED. Both are clear and beautiful. I almost wish I just bought one and was happy with it. I'm leaning slightly epson at the moment because the vividness appeals to my eye and also my 3d glasses work with it but that may change tomorrow wink.gif

 

If you look a couple posts back in post #92 i quoted Vidkidd's pics of poor image quality (=sharpness?) of the 2030. Am I understanding correctly that this situation would get better after adjusting the sharpness settings on 2030? Being able to see actual pixels is a must since I'll be using the projector professionally for creating title designs and other movie graphics (I know these aren't pro projectors but this is my price range). A feature that made 2030 interesting for me was what you also mentioned it being possibly better with ambient light as I do VJing as a hobby. Still didn't make the purchase so if Vidkidd didn't try to adjust the sharpness settings for his pics and the sharpness of 2030 is actually better then I have to consider again!

mufiko is offline  
post #100 of 149 Old 02-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Newbie
 
mufiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidd View Post

Unfortunately, that is the "best" image the 2030 could push out. If it could do better, I would have a 2030 in my theatre rather than the 1080ST. I'm rather particular with regards to image quality on display devices and the 2030 failed(my posy history should make that clear). I guess I'm more apt to point the issue out as I don't have any advertisers to worry about upsetting.

Did you adjust the sharpness settings of the Epson for these pics?

mufiko is offline  
post #101 of 149 Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mufiko,

I can only tell you that from my experience, raising the sharpness of the Epson makes it a "ballgame" in terms of sharpness. I can't definitely say that the Epson is sharper, but to my untrained eye it looks slightly sharper on some content while the Benq looks slightly sharper with other content. For example, on my PS3 (unfortunately I got the yellow light of death on it this weekend - unfortunate timing, but while it was still running...) I think that some of the icons looked smoother on the Benq and the lines around the icons blended better in their transition to the background. However, on other content (NBA 2K14 for example) I believe that you can see the pixels of the Epson more clearly defined (some may think this is a bad thing, you can turn down the sharpness and brightness slightly if it's not a look you prefer and it becomes very comparable to the Benq in terms of the look). I would suggest that you do what several folks on this thread did including myself and try out both of them. Best Buy and Amazon both have great return policies so you can try them both risk free. Even though these projectors have great pricing for the performance, $1000 is nothing to sneeze at for most folks (me, for example) so you'll want to make sure that the option you pick is best for your needs.

Part of the issue with the post #92 above could be that some Epson units are said to be inconsistent in terms of convergence quality, perhaps I got lucky and received one of the sharp ones? That said, on my unit, I had a similar "fuzzy" experience until I adjusted the sharpness. Also, it took me a week (I thought I was done making my decision and the Epson was all packed up ready to go back to Best Buy) before I realized that the Benq was maxed out in terms of sharpness so it's very easy to overlook (plus, you asssume that they are set at appropriate levels so you don't want to give one "the advantage" by adjusting the settings). I'll try to get some pictures in the next few days to share what I'm seeing.

Thanks and good luck.
lard canoe is offline  
post #102 of 149 Old 02-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Newbie
 
mufiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for your reply! the pics would be great. looking forward!

mufiko is offline  
post #103 of 149 Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
vidkidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufiko View Post

Did you adjust the sharpness settings of the Epson for these pics?


I spent too many hours adjusting the Epson 2030 for fine detail and image clarity and was unable to get anything close to the 10 year old Sanyo PLV-Z3 it was replacing. After reading a couple reviews, I was initially convinced that this WAS the projector I wanted and garnered the top of my list. It had a competitive up front price as well as a crazy low replacement lamp cost and was too good of a deal to pass up. Apparently the deal on the lamp is equivalent to putting lipstick on a pig.

In my evaluation of the 2030 and the BenQ 1080ST, I ran both projectors simultaneously from a HTPC over HDMI from the same source with the 2030 ceiling mounted and the 1080ST on a coffee table. Neither projector exhibited ANY convergence issues.

Using the attached calibration pixel map patterns, I was unable to get more than a blurry mess out of the 2030.

mappingTestPatterns.zip 53k .zip file
vidkidd is offline  
post #104 of 149 Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
vidkidd,

It's interesting that we have such different experiences. It seems that I either got really lucky or you got really unlucky with the Epson 2030 that we were testing. It's nearly impossible to say without a larger sample size. While I have heard that the Benq has amazing clarity (I agree that it does), there is also a general consensus in other forums and reviews that the Epson is clear as well (and that is with the factory settings of clarity set below my taste). My eyes tell me that it can be argued that they are equal or that the Benq or Epson is clearer in certain circumstances but the Epson that I'm sampling, in my humble opinion, is far from a blurry mess (I will show pictures later to highlight this). People that have viewed it are shocked by the clarity on a screen that large (they are with the Benq as well).

Did you set the sharpness up to max on the Epson? I know that you commented on the hours spent trying to calibrate it but I wasn't clear on that particular aspect. Either way, you ended up with a fantastic projector in the Benq. I have no doubt that you, like me, have no dog in the fight (and your opinion and experience is as valid as mine or anyone else's) so this exemplifies the importance of people testing out these units for themselves to make sure that their projector is the right fit for their particular tastes.

Thanks
lard canoe is offline  
post #105 of 149 Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Here are a few pictures taken on my phone to illustrate what I'm seeing.  Keep in mind that this is a super closeup on my phone camera so neither will look perfect, they both look much better and more clear in real life but I think that these pictures will show the similarities and differences in fine detail (please blame the photographer and phone camera for the slight blurriness below, both projectors look razor sharp but at least you can compare and contrast with like conditions):

 

Here is a couple closeup shots on the Benq.  It looks really good and very smooth transitions between colors:

 

 

More of a wide shot with several icons (still zoomed significantly).  Again, looks very clear.

 

 

Closeup of the Epson.  Also very clear with the pixels a bit more visible.  In my opinion, the transitions between the colors are more clear and pop more, but a little less of a smooth look:

 

 

Wider shots of the Epson but still close.  Again, very good clarity:

 

 

I hope this helps.

lard canoe is offline  
post #106 of 149 Old 02-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
vidkidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lard canoe View Post

Here are a few pictures taken on my phone to illustrate what I'm seeing.  Keep in mind that this is a super closeup on my phone camera so neither will look perfect, they both look much better and more clear in real life but I think that these pictures will show the similarities and differences in fine detail (please blame the photographer and phone camera for the slight blurriness below, both projectors look razor sharp but at least you can compare and contrast with like conditions):

Here is a couple closeup shots on the Benq.  It looks really good and very smooth transitions between colors:





More of a wide shot with several icons (still zoomed significantly).  Again, looks very clear.





Closeup of the Epson.  Also very clear with the pixels a bit more visible.  In my opinion, the transitions between the colors are more clear and pop more, but a little less of a smooth look:





Wider shots of the Epson but still close.  Again, very good clarity:





I hope this helps.


Hmmm... Very interesting results:
  1. Can you post a close up shot of the 2x2 3x3 or 4x4 patterns as a tiles background from the calibration patterns on the prior post? My 2030 fell over when trying to display a clean pattern.
  2. It would also be good to see what your results are in the "fast" display mode.
  3. My 2030 also exhibited color bleed between pixels from what should be a clean pixel pattern. It was very evident on this Capital One commercial shown in HD on Comcast at about 25 seconds into the clip where the blue from the background overly bled into Samuel Jacksons jacket. Is this occurring with your 2030?
  4. The images from your BenQ seem very dark compared to the shots I took in the smart-eco lamp setting. That said, you can see there are clean "pixel boundaries" from the BenQ that aren't there in the 2030 which is correct. My Sanyo PLV-Z3 also displayed a pixel map as clean as the BenQ. There also seems to be a Hence my disappointment in the Epson 2030.


Here is a shot I just took from the Benq that is comparable to your image of the AVS ad sponsors.
vidkidd is offline  
post #107 of 149 Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Vidkidd,

 

Unfortunately I was unable to open your attachment (it said I didn't have the right permissions) but I watched the video and didn't notice any color bleed, his jacket looked nice and black.  For the attachment, can you post one of the pictures and I'll try to project it?  I agree with you that my pics of the Benq don't do the brightness justice.  My phone camera just doesn't cut it when trying to show what these awesome machines can do, you really have to experience them firsthand.

 

On a side note, I had two people come up today and both said that they thought the Epson was sharper.  While I don't necessarily agree (I think they're equal) it further convinced me that they are at the very least very close.  The more I watch the two, the more I think that the Epson is for me.  The Benq is a great projector also but I love the vividness of the 2030, it just appeals to my taste.  Fast mode isn't as clear as fine but it's not really that much different for games where you are not focused on one small detail.  Overall it looks good to me.

 

Thanks

lard canoe is offline  
post #108 of 149 Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 1,953
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by lard canoe View Post

I'm writing this on my phone so please excuse the typos.

I have been trying out both of these projectors for the last week and must say that both are incredible values. Both have taken turns as my favorite at least a few times. I will use the projector for movies, 3d, TV, and gaming. Currently, they are both being projected on a bare white wall. I had officially decided on the w1070 after debating long and hard a couple days ago. I loved the vividness of the epson but the sheer sharpness of the benq tipped the scale for me. Then I realized that the sharpness of the benq is set to max out of the box. Since I had finally made up my mind I was hesitant to look again but I decided to give the epson one more shot. I turned up the sharpness to max and was astonished that they became almost equal in clarity. I have another week to decide but they are neck and neck once again, here is the breakdown:

Sharpness: almost identical in my opinion with the adjusted settings. I go back and forth depending on the content. I fully understand that this is not the accepted opinion out there but it's what my eyes tell me (I am also surprised).

Color accuracy: Benq, it looks more like a natural picture, a movie theater.

Brightness: the epson has bright and vivid colors. The image has a lot of punch and depth.

Blacks: the benq clearly. Blacks are about twice as dark. It has darker blacks even with the epson dynamic iris engaged.

Contrast: very similar. I say that because the epson's bright colors offset the appearance of the lighter blacks.

Gaming: the benq has better lag in normal mode but the fine mode of the epson makes the lag fairly comparable. Fine mode does lose some fine detail and a little brightness but it still looks great. This is about a wash depending on the look you prefer.

Ability to handle a huge screen and ambient light: I set up both as 165" screens to see if they could handle the size and both were suitable. The epson's brightness made it handle the huge screen better in my opinion, it was still punchy and bright. The benq was able to handle it as well but the brightness suffered more.

Ability to handle ambient light: The epson is also slightly better in ambient light because of the brightness but both were admirable in that respect, better than I expected.

All of this is a matter of opinion but mine is that you can't go wrong. One is theater-like similar to a plasma look and the other is bright and vivid like an LED. Both are clear and beautiful. I almost wish I just bought one and was happy with it. I'm leaning slightly epson at the moment because the vividness appeals to my eye and also my 3d glasses work with it but that may change tomorrow wink.gif
Did you put a light meter on either of the projectors with the 165" screen? I am asking because i have the W1070 and i am looking to move up to around a 170" screen.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
ellisr63 is online now  
post #109 of 149 Old 02-14-2014, 07:15 AM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post



Did you put a light meter on either of the projectors with the 165" screen? I am asking because i have the W1070 and i am looking to move up to around a 170" screen.

 



I don't have anything that sophisticated, but I believe that the w1070 held up really well with the 165" screen. I would recommend that you do what I did and just try projecting it that large on a wall and make sure it looks ok to you. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised with the way it looks, I definitely was.
lard canoe is offline  
post #110 of 149 Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidd View Post

[/quote]

Hmmm... Very interesting results:



  1. Can you post a close up shot of the 2x2 3x3 or 4x4 patterns as a tiles background from the calibration patterns on the prior post? My 2030 fell over when trying to display a clean pattern.
  2. It would also be good to see what your results are in the "fast" display mode.
  3. My 2030 also exhibited color bleed between pixels from what should be a clean pixel pattern. It was very evident on this Capital One commercial shown in HD on Comcast at about 25 seconds into the clip where the blue from the background overly bled into Samuel Jacksons jacket. Is this occurring with your 2030?
  4. The images from your BenQ seem very dark compared to the shots I took in the smart-eco lamp setting. That said, you can see there are clean "pixel boundaries" from the BenQ that aren't there in the 2030 which is correct. My Sanyo PLV-Z3 also displayed a pixel map as clean as the BenQ. There also seems to be a Hence my disappointment in the Epson 2030.





Here is a shot I just took from the Benq that is comparable to your image of the AVS ad sponsors.

 



Just out of curiosity, I watched this video on my computer (just the monitor, not the projector) and I did notice what appears to be some slight light leak which surprised me. I wonder if the video itself might have some leak that the brightness of the projector accentuated? I had the brightness turned down (the 2030 is too bright for my current 100" screen in my opinion at stock settings when looking at mostly white content such as the internet) so maybe that's why it didn't show up on the projector? I'll have to check it out again later, I'm not close to the projector at the moment.
lard canoe is offline  
post #111 of 149 Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 1,953
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by lard canoe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post



Did you put a light meter on either of the projectors with the 165" screen? I am asking because i have the W1070 and i am looking to move up to around a 170" screen.

 



I don't have anything that sophisticated, but I believe that the w1070 held up really well with the 165" screen. I would recommend that you do what I did and just try projecting it that large on a wall and make sure it looks ok to you. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised with the way it looks, I definitely was.

I picked up one of these.... It is very inexpensive to purchase. I was doubting that it would do that big of a screen and was thinking of getting a different projector or running 2 of them for the bigger screen... Thanks for the info.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
ellisr63 is online now  
post #112 of 149 Old 02-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post



I picked up one of these.... It is very inexpensive to purchase. I was doubting that it would do that big of a screen and was thinking of getting a different projector or running 2 of them for the bigger screen... Thanks for the info.

 



Very cool gizmo, thanks for sharing!

I definitely don't want to lead you astray, I hope that you try it for yourself before taking the plunge. When I had the w1070 on the 165" screen the brightness did suffer a bit but to me it looked very good especially for being on a textured wall. FYI I watched part of the Super Bowl on my DVR and The Hobbitt Blu-Ray and the image was still amazingly sharp.
lard canoe is offline  
post #113 of 149 Old 02-14-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 1,953
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by lard canoe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post



I picked up one of these.... It is very inexpensive to purchase. I was doubting that it would do that big of a screen and was thinking of getting a different projector or running 2 of them for the bigger screen... Thanks for the info.

 



Very cool gizmo, thanks for sharing!

I definitely don't want to lead you astray, I hope that you try it for yourself before taking the plunge. When I had the w1070 on the 165" screen the brightness did suffer a bit but to me it looked very good especially for being on a textured wall. FYI I watched part of the Super Bowl on my DVR and The Hobbitt Blu-Ray and the image was still amazingly sharp.
No problem... Did you tune your setup too? When I dialed in mine I was still sitting with a pretty bright picture @134" 16:9.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
ellisr63 is online now  
post #114 of 149 Old 02-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hmmm well I'm not sure what it means to "tune" it so I guess I didn't :).  For a beginner who doesn't know all the terms, what does that mean?  I messed with the settings and brightened it a little if that's what is being referenced.

lard canoe is offline  
post #115 of 149 Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 1,953
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by lard canoe View Post

Hmmm well I'm not sure what it means to "tune" it so I guess I didn't smile.gif.  For a beginner who doesn't know all the terms, what does that mean?  I messed with the settings and brightened it a little if that's what is being referenced.
There are some suggested settings for calibrating your projector... That is what I used to calibrate mine. You can also use the Test Discs to calibrate your projector (the best way IMO). When I used the suggested settings the pic was much dimmer but it is still at 21fl on my 134" screen.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
ellisr63 is online now  
post #116 of 149 Old 02-15-2014, 12:57 AM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gotcha, thanks! No I didn't do a calibration with a wow disk because, as you mentioned above, I've heard it makes projectors dimmer and these looked good out of the box to me.
lard canoe is offline  
post #117 of 149 Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufiko View Post

Thanks for your reply! the pics would be great. looking forward!

Hi mufiko, just curious if the pictures helped.
lard canoe is offline  
post #118 of 149 Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Newbie
 
mufiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lard canoe View Post


Hi mufiko, just curious if the pictures helped.

Yeah!! Well don't know can you say that cos it seems I'm back at square one :) Those pics make Epson look really nice for what i'm after and looking at them it seems Vidkidd had a faulty machine possibly??? Any case the info is VERY contradictory...

 

If we assume your photos show the real image quality of 2030 and W1070 and for my main purpose they would work equally, which one you think would suit better for VJ use. You say Epson I guess as you think it works better with ambient light.

 

But what about W1080ST (the one Vidkidd has)? thearetically, I'm thinkin it would be even better (=brighter) sitting closer to the screen thus being able to throw stronger light on the screen? Any words to comment this Vidkidd?

 

And how about user presets? If I'm correct BenQ has two presest and Epson none? This is jsut what I heard don't know for sure that's why I'm askin. Presets would make my life some what easier not having to make manual adjustments each time I take the projector with me for a VJ gig and then bring it back to studio for work..

 

Many thanks for your help so far! Much appreciated!!!

mufiko is offline  
post #119 of 149 Old 02-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Member
 
lard canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufiko View Post

Yeah!! Well don't know can you say that cos it seems I'm back at square one smile.gif Those pics make Epson look really nice for what i'm after and looking at them it seems Vidkidd had a faulty machine possibly??? Any case the info is VERY contradictory...

 

If we assume your photos show the real image quality of 2030 and W1070 and for my main purpose they would work equally, which one you think would suit better for VJ use. You say Epson I guess as you think it works better with ambient light.

 

But what about W1080ST (the one Vidkidd has)? thearetically, I'm thinkin it would be even better (=brighter) sitting closer to the screen thus being able to throw stronger light on the screen? Any words to comment this Vidkidd?

 

And how about user presets? If I'm correct BenQ has two presest and Epson none? This is jsut what I heard don't know for sure that's why I'm askin. Presets would make my life some what easier not having to make manual adjustments each time I take the projector with me for a VJ gig and then bring it back to studio for work..

 

Many thanks for your help so far! Much appreciated!!!

 



If someone told me that they thought the Benq slightly was better, I woudn't argue with them and can see why they'd think that, I really think it's a matter of opinion and taste and there is no right or wrong answer. It took me a long time to pick the right one for me (which turned out to be the Epson, a decision I'm personally very happy with).

It's hard for me to recommend one for VJ use because I'm not overly familiar with what you would need for your particular setup. If you are more concerned about blacks and the low end of the color spectrum, I'd give Benq the edge. For bright and vivid colors, Epson has the edge. But that's not to say that Epson can't handle darks or that the Benq can't handle brights (they are both very versatile). Which are you more concerned with? Whichever one you pick, you are probably going to be pleasantly surprised with how bright and sharp it is.

I can't speak for the w1080 but I've heard it's similar to the w1070, which is a good thing. Yes the Benq does have two user presets. Epson will save changes to the existing presets but if you have multiple users or distinct uses, the two presets are handy.

One other piece that I haven't touched on is RBE (rainbow effect). I could force myself to see rainbows on the Benq and could occasionally see them (It would have been enough to break a tie but wasn't a dealbreaker for me). If you are rainbow sensitive, this could be an important consideration for you.

My advice? If you don't have a preference in style and don't want to try both, find the best deal you can on one of them and don't look back. Usually, the Benq is less expensive but in my case, I got the Epson for less.
lard canoe is offline  
post #120 of 149 Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
wraunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
From the reviews I've read it seems the Optoma HD131xe is better than both of these especially gaming and the black levels. What am I missing?
wraunch is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off