Replacement projector for local Film Society - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-10-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I run a community-based film society that hosts dinner and a (legit, licensed) movie about 9x a year. We are in a community center room, about 26x22 that holds about 60 people, tops. It makes a lot of sense to locate the projector in the back, which is about 21' from the screen. The screen is an inexpensive, pull-down, no gain, white screen I installed a couple years ago. It is about 130" wide and 74" high (150" diagonal). We currently use an older Sanyo PLV-70 (DVI connection and WXGA picture, I believe). There is some ambient light when all the blinds are pulled, but it's surprisingly dark. We push sound through a couple of JBL EON self powered speakers. Lastly, we use an old Oppo DV-981HD DVD player.

Everything works. The neighbors are happy to be there. But I'm not. The picture quality - from shadows to color to crispness - is "meh." I'd love love love some ideas on specific recommendations how to improve whatever needs to be improved and what priority order you might recommend. I'd love to step up to HDMI. I'd also like to do this for as little $$ as possible - and still see a marked improvement in what we currently are using. As I mentioned, the projector is currently at the back of the room - and that works great. But that long throw seems to kill me, unless I'm willing to take a big step up in price - which ain't gonna happen.

Thanks.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Oppo Dv 981hd Universal Dvd Player With Hdmi 1080p Up Converting Divx Sacd
Gear in this thread - 981hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page