Got the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 725HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Fedex dropped it off about 6:45 last night. First impression was “Wow! This thing is bright.” Brilliant colors, great contrast, overall just a nice picture and pretty quiet. Pulled down the screen (84” 1.1 gain) in the basement, put in the Pixar Shorts DVD and went through the color modes. The contrast and blacks are definitely best in Cinema mode, but even in eco mode it’s still plenty bright. Then I realized all the lights were on. After turning out the lights I could see that the blacks were more of a dark grey and I could see the extra 40 pixels at the top and bottom, but still a very nice picture. I didn’t try the auto iris, so I don’t know if that would darken up the blacks.
Then I took it outside (which is what I bought it for) and hung a sheet (about 10’ screen). It was about 7:30pm and the sun had just dropped below the horizon. It was still bright enough to read everything on the remote, but the projector cut right through and the picture didn’t look washed out at all. Even in eco mode it was bright enough to basically look like and LCD TV. So far I’m pretty impressed with the PJ especially for $550. Maybe Friday I can setup the 16’ screen and really see what it can do. The picture is a lot like the 720HD, but much brighter. I’m wondering, as bright as it is, if I should look at a gray screen to help with the black levels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Liked: 17
Thanks for reporting on this model. I used to own a 710hd, which had a 3,000:1 contrast ratio. This model has 12,000:1. Do you have any experience with the 710hd or 705hd to compare to this model? Any pictures would be awesome as well. If you have seen the 710 or the 705 first hand, you can get an idea of their contrast and black levels from youtube videos (I know, not as reliable as in person, but maybe for a starting point). I think you picked the right one instead of the 730HD. The extra $100 only gets you another year of warranty and a "supposed" 200 extra lumens. But no one can tell the difference between 2800 and 3000 lumens anyway.
Paul Hovey likes this.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

My brother-in-law has the 705HD, so I’m somewhat familiar with it. I think the added contrast gives the 725 a deeper picture. It seems like the colors are deeper and the detail in dark scenes is more pronounced. There are some scenes in the Pixar short with the unicycle (in the bike shop, on stage, etc.) that are pretty dark and you can really see the detail (especially when I turned the lights off wink.gif) and I don’t think the 705 can do that. My son-in-law has the 720HD and I prefer it to the 705. It has a 10,000:1 contrast ratio, but it’s only 1600 lumens. The picture is great, but sometimes we’d have to wait till 10:00 to be able to see the image on the screen. The 725 seems to be a more powerful version of the 720 without the lens shift and $500 less. I’ve been using an S1+ ($40 off ebay) so this is huge leap in picture quality for me.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 PM

Liked: 17
Where were you able to get the 725HD? Amazon and Visual Apex don't have it being released until mid-september, but the 730HD is available currently.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Visual Apex. The site still says ETA mid September, but they shipped mine Monday.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

They're now available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Epson-V11H566020-Cinema-725HD-Projector/dp/B00EU9V3YO
Visualapex is still showing eta?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Tried again with the old Fuji. Still not great. I guess I need to get out the tripod.
Anyhow.. again I'm on a 10' x 15' white tarp, on ecco and in Cinema mode. Still plenty of light output.

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Epson Powerlite 84 Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 Home Theater Projector