Anyone doing 120" wide 2:35 screen with epson 8700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm getting the upgrading bug again. Before changing out my 8700 i was wondering if it would be possible to live with it on dynamic for a while. 120" wide 2:35 screen is what i'm doing next, so will the 8700 be able to do the job temporarily. For my personal taste the blacks are incredible and i want to know if i will be loosing them at all?

I can live with the colours not being as nice but i want my blacks. I will have it mounted as close as possible with the lens wide open.

Does someone have experience with this.

ps i have 106" 1.1 white screen with full light control and dark walls and ceilings.

infocus 4805, mitsubishi hd1000, optoma hd 20 for one month, and now epson 8500ub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

infocus 4805, mitsubishi hd1000, optoma hd 20 for one month, and now epson 8500ub
post #3 of 4 Old 09-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
well from my own experience with my 6500ub, I think you should be fine, I used to use a 135 inch 1.78(16x9) screen with mine and only put it at dynamic during the daytime, or used living room on those dark movies that needed a bit more punch, my pj is rated at 1600 lumens as well, so I don't think there would be any difference. The farther back the pj is from the screen, the dimmer it becomes and thus can give you slightly better blacks, just like the auto iris dims to give better blacks. I never noticed a difference myself when increasing the picture size on black level, so maybe you won't either. I really love blacks as well and will sometimes turn the brightness down a hair with certain movies to increase the black level, which essentially creates a picture with some crushed blacks, but for me its a good tradeoff at times. You could certainly try this to get more black if your not happy with it. You can also adjust the dynamic mode a bit to cut down the green color which is there purposely to cut through ambient light. I believe the living room mode is more blue to cut through yellow light from light bulbs in living rooms. Calibrating them a bit will result in a better picture, but less lumens. Honestly I think most people prefer the punch of the brightness over correctly calibrated anyway, so if its not perfect in color, very few people will complain, especially since there is not another projector in the room playing at the same time to compare pictures to.

I think you will be very happy with the 2.35 screen, to me they feel more like a movie theater, and if you mask the top and bottom to hide the overspill, it will really look great.

Forgot to mention, my setup was in a living room with lots of windows and all white walls, so if you have a dark room and light control, you will be even better off
post #4 of 4 Old 09-12-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks I to lower the brightness to where it almost feels like im crushing the blacks but I also find the trade off worth it. My screen wall is flat black so the bars will disappear into the wall. This is my tenth year into this home theater hobby, and from what im seeing from the senior members is that there pretty much all doing 2:35

There must be a reason for it, and im willing to bet that the reason is good.

Thanks

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Epson

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page