getting an SD signal to work over HDMI on my Panasonic VW-440u - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-13-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so for reasons outside of my control, i need to get video out of a black box to an SD system as well as a HD system simultaneously. The black box has a plethora of outputs, including HDMI, component video, composite, and s-video...

one of the systems supports only a composite video, my 2nd system, the one in question, is fed via hdmi to 2x panasonic vw440u projectors and a acer 22" LCD...

i find that if i set the video settings on this black box to "Standard Definition" i can get video out of both HDMI and composite, yet the HDMI signal is a standard definition one (to be expected)

in testing, i have a monitor hooked up to this hdmi set to "standard definition" and it works fine... when i hook the two projectors up to it, they constantly blink on and off and only show picture for about a half a second at a time... if i set the output resolution in the black box to "480p" (or any other setting besides "Standard Definition" really) the video will stay solid on my projectors, but i lose signal on my Composite side...

at this point i'm looking at this scaler:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MMW9EW/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

i'm assuming such a device will take an HDMI standard def input and scale it to 720p for me (which would work fine) for my projectors... nothing in the description really tells me this, but monoprice's description here does:

and it looks like the same box and faster free shipping
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=9994&seq=1&format=2#description

i'd obviously rather not do this, but i can't find any setting in the Projector to allow standard def video...

it irritates me because it shows the picture, but only for a half a second at a time, like it's capable of showing the picture, but it's scanning through some sort of auto-switcher that i can't disable...

you may ask what would prevent me from just hooking up the projector to the black box via component or s-video (if i'm going to go ahead and cripple the whole system with standard def anyway)... well... the fact that i got two projectors running off an HDMI splitter and about 200' distance between the projectors and the black box is really the reason why...

basically i'd rather buy a scaler than set up a component video switcher and run new cables in the walls/ceilings for such a special use scenario...

i'm not TRYING to make this complicated, i promise biggrin.gif

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I am surprised you get any video at all with 200' of HDMI cable. 50' is about the limit for HD over HDMI and I don't know what the spec would be for SD but I doubt its 200'. Running CAT6 would be your best bet, I can't see anything working with just 200' of HDMI

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

oh, don't get hung up on that detail... a "high def" setting on the black box works great over my distances.... my problem is that the projectors don't like a "standard def" signal over the HDMI connector....

what i have is a HDBaseT box converting to cat6 for a 150' run to a cabinet, where i'm using a 1x4 hdmi splitter that outputs over cat6 to reciever boxes another 50' to each projector...

the fully digital signals work great, it's that the projectors really don't like the "standard definition" setting on the black box...

also, it may help the topic, but the black box seems to be an "amino A140" set top box:
http://www.aminocom.com/products/aminet-a140/

it's come to me pre-configured for connecting to a specific online video stream for this meeting i'm setting it up for...
post #4 of 5 Old 09-14-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Another alternative would to connect your HDMI output into a HDMI splitter (one HDMI input to two HDMI outputs). Then connect one output from the HDMI splitter to your HDMI cable to the HD display and connect the other HDMI output of the splitter to a HDMI-to-composite video converter box. That converter box would accept an HD video input via HDMI and then provide a standard def. video + audio output. HERE and HERE are two such HMDI-to-Composite Video converters. Two-way HDMI splitters are available from a number of sources such as monoprice.com. HERE is one example. With this approach you should be able to get HD to the HD display while also getting std. def. via the composite video output from the converter box.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Another alternative would to connect your HDMI output into a HDMI splitter (one HDMI input to two HDMI outputs). Then connect one output from the HDMI splitter to your HDMI cable to the HD display and connect the other HDMI output of the splitter to a HDMI-to-composite video converter box. That converter box would accept an HD video input via HDMI and then provide a standard def. video + audio output. HERE and HERE are two such HMDI-to-Composite Video converters. Two-way HDMI splitters are available from a number of sources such as monoprice.com. HERE is one example. With this approach you should be able to get HD to the HD display while also getting std. def. via the composite video output from the converter box.

Yep, I thought about doing that too.... and you make a good point, that would provide better quality for the HD side.....

I just wish I could get away with only adding one piece of equipment instead of two

Maybe I'll explore both options and compare results
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page