Optoma HD25e vs Optoma HD25-LV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-14-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm having a hard time deciding between the two and appreciate any input you may have.

I'll be installing the projector in a brightly lit room with windows on the side of the projector - this is not ideal I understand. I do most viewing in the night (thankfully I'm in Seattle and it gets dark early most of the year). I also have a plasma TV behind the screen for day use also. I also typically like to have some lights on during the night viewing.

The HD25e seems to be slightly less bright than the 25-LV but a cheaper to buy and maintain - I'm not sure the extra lumens would be worthwhile in my viewing conditions.

Questions

1. Is the HD25e close enough in terms of brightness to the HD-25LV that it shouldn't matter in the viewing conditions I mention?
2. Is the HD-25LV brightness configurable - would I be able to dim in down and up as required - the concern would be that it is overly bright @ night viewing.
3. Would the HD25e be quieter than the HD-25LV - It seems both of them are very comparable.

Thanks for your help in this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-14-2013, 02:17 PM

I own the HD25e and from what I've read and from what I've seen between the eco and full mode I doubt you will notice much of a difference in brightness with the LV. It is damn bright but has all of the necessary settings to adjust it. You can turn on eco and then dim the brightness more than I would ever want. To my knowledge there is no difference in settings or features between the 3 units outside of bulb brightness and power consumption.

I find this HD25e to be noisier in eco than my hc4000 in eco. I don't believe it's by much but that would be the opposite of what the specs say. It's not overwhelming now but as someone who hates the added noise I am concerned about how it will be by year 2. I believe the specs say the same noise for each version?

Save the money on the unit, replacement bulbs and electric bill and just buy the HD25e.

If you need specifics on brightness I would probably check what reviewers are getting in real world lumens from each unit.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by preacher001 View Post

I own the HD25e and from what I've read and from what I've seen between the eco and full mode I doubt you will notice much of a difference in brightness with the LV. It is damn bright but has all of the necessary settings to adjust it. You can turn on eco and then dim the brightness more than I would ever want. To my knowledge there is no difference in settings or features between the 3 units outside of bulb brightness and power consumption.

I find this HD25e to be noisier in eco than my hc4000 in eco. I don't believe it's by much but that would be the opposite of what the specs say. It's not overwhelming now but as someone who hates the added noise I am concerned about how it will be by year 2. I believe the specs say the same noise for each?

Save the money on the unit, replacement bulbs and electric bill and just buy the HD25e.

If you need specifics on brightness I would probably check what reviewers are getting in real world lumens from each unit.

How do you compare the black level, contrast and other aspects between the hd25e and the mitsubishi hc4000?
I have the hc3800 but i want a 3d projector, and im thinking about this one.
post #4 of 19 Old 09-16-2013, 04:33 PM

I never got the chance to fully compare it to the HC4000 because the 2 units I received both had lens alignment issues. I put in 15 hours of casual use but since I couldn't fix the misaligned lens I didn't fuss with the settings much. Just shipped them back today. Blacks looked decent but since the thing is so bloody bright you need more than one setting, (light room/dark room) which I don't believe you can do. I was impressed with how sharp the picture was and how crisp my PC looked (at least for the part I could focus). It usually takes me about a month to decide if I truly like a unit. That being said it looks like if I can order in a good one, I'll be quite happy. Costco has a great bundle so I'll reorder from them.

Nothing I have used has compared to the beauty of my PLV-Z2000, but then that is the only projector I have owned that I would never buy again. It was huge, and ate light bulbs and crapped air filters. This will be my third Optoma and all of them have been modestly noisy. With small but notable amount of light leak. Apparently the HD25e offers good 3d but mine never seemed to line up right, hopefully another side effect of the misaligned lens. It was a bit odd setting up 3d. I thought it was all plug and play but there is some setting up on each of the devices you use. The Xbox was the only thing that didn't require me to preconfigure it.

Oh well, back to my HC4000 until the next order comes in. frown.gif
post #5 of 19 Old 09-16-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacher001 View Post

I never got the chance to fully compare it to the HC4000 because the 2 units I received both had lens alignment issues. I put in 15 hours of casual use but since I couldn't fix the misaligned lens I didn't fuss with the settings much. Just shipped them back today. Blacks looked decent but since the thing is so bloody bright you need more than one setting, (light room/dark room) which I don't believe you can do. I was impressed with how sharp the picture was and how crisp my PC looked (at least for the part I could focus). It usually takes me about a month to decide if I truly like a unit. That being said it looks like if I can order in a good one, I'll be quite happy. Costco has a great bundle so I'll reorder from them.

Nothing I have used has compared to the beauty of my PLV-Z2000, but then that is the only projector I have owned that I would never buy again. It was huge, and ate light bulbs and crapped air filters. This will be my third Optoma and all of them have been modestly noisy. With small but notable amount of light leak. Apparently the HD25e offers good 3d but mine never seemed to line up right, hopefully another side effect of the misaligned lens. It was a bit odd setting up 3d. I thought it was all plug and play but there is some setting up on each of the devices you use. The Xbox was the only thing that didn't require me to preconfigure it.

Oh well, back to my HC4000 until the next order comes in. frown.gif

Thank you
I will wait for your review. I love my mits. HC3800, and knowing that the hc4000 its even better, a good review from the optoma maybe make me buying a new projector this year.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Don't forget the eh300.... same specs as hd25lv it seems but 3500 lumens I just bought the hd131xe version myself but it seems the only real differences between all these models is color, firmware and possibly the lamp used... It very confusing....I'm curiously waiting for someone to attempt installing the higher lumen firmware on the lower lumen models with the same bulb and see what happens...
post #7 of 19 Old 10-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I seen a massive jump in picture from HC3800 to W1070 smile.gif
post #8 of 19 Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 PM

I have a Mits hc4000 and am thinking about the w1070/hd25e/hd25lv choices. I want to add 3d capability without losing the quality of the 2d picture that I am happy with on the hc4000.

I recently helped a friend of mine purchase and setup a w1070. The 3d was impressive. But I didn't think the w1070 black levels and color accuracy were on the level of the hc4000, and overall picture was not quite as natural. I realize I am comparing what I see on the mits in my theater to what I see on the w 1070 in my friends room, and this could be a factor.

I am interested to hear from those that have moved from the hc4000 to any of these new 3d projectors. Specifically, are you missing anything in 2d and overall picture quality that you had with the Mits?
post #9 of 19 Old 10-18-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockevin View Post

I have a Mits hc4000 and am thinking about the w1070/hd25e/hd25lv choices. I want to add 3d capability without losing the quality of the 2d picture that I am happy with on the hc4000.

I recently helped a friend of mine purchase and setup a w1070. The 3d was impressive. But I didn't think the w1070 black levels and color accuracy were on the level of the hc4000, and overall picture was not quite as natural. I realize I am comparing what I see on the mits in my theater to what I see on the w 1070 in my friends room, and this could be a factor.

I am interested to hear from those that have moved from the hc4000 to any of these new 3d projectors. Specifically, are you missing anything in 2d and overall picture quality that you had with the Mits?
look at the start of the hd131xe budget projector thread...it talks about the w1070 and how compared to the optoma (they are all pretty much the same projector with different bulb brightness in the lineup) the w1070 was lacking and had a cold flat picture.... also look at the you tube video comparing the hd25e to the w1070 side by side...this was with out of the box settings but you can certainly see a huge difference..
I am very happy with my hd131xe... if your going to buy a hd25e I suggest you save some money and buy the black version (hd131xe) that uses all the same components and the same firmware as the hd25e... I am still waiting for someone to compare the two side by side as I believe they are the same exact projector sans the case color.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-18-2013, 09:15 AM

I should have included the 131xe with the 25e and 25-lv as it seems they all share the same base projector. I too am waiting to see a full review that compares them to each other. I do want to make sure I will have enough brightness for 3d viewing with a 120" screen. Are you using 3d (rf or dlp link) and do you have adequate brightness? Are you using eco or normal lamp? There have been many reports of uneven focus issues, many finding it impossible to have more than 2/3 of the screen in focus without some blur in the remaining portions. Are you experiencing this?
post #11 of 19 Old 10-21-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockevin View Post

I should have included the 131xe with the 25e and 25-lv as it seems they all share the same base projector. I too am waiting to see a full review that compares them to each other. I do want to make sure I will have enough brightness for 3d viewing with a 120" screen. Are you using 3d (rf or dlp link) and do you have adequate brightness? Are you using eco or normal lamp? There have been many reports of uneven focus issues, many finding it impossible to have more than 2/3 of the screen in focus without some blur in the remaining portions. Are you experiencing this?
I can longer notice any focus issue with text in the corners since installing a darbee video processor... before that the focus seemed ever so soft in the bottom right and top left corner. Yes the hd25e and 131xe are both actually the model HDVDNUE according g the the service menu and model number on the bottom of the units... the older versions (HD25 and HD 131x) were both recognized as the HD25 in the menus... the jury is still out on whether there is any real difference besides case color.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 PM

I had the BenQ W1000+ which was rated with 2000 ANSI Lumen. I find the HD 25e (at 2800 ANSI Lumen) is much brighter than the BenQ even in Eco mode. I have a totally dark room in my basement with dark violet colour wall and black carpet. I don't find the noise is any much wosre. However, the HD25e will jump to full cooling sometimes and this will increase the fan noise by quite a bit. I don't hear the fan nosie that much during normal use even the projector is mounted right on top and about a foot behind where I usually sit. I find the 3D is quite amazing which I like.

As to someone was asking what universal ceiling mount to use. I got one from ebay which is a three prong system that fits my BENQ and Optoma. Teh BenQ is using some more common screws but the HD25e uses M3 screw which is much smaller and harder to find in hardware store. You may try computer stores. They may have them.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-02-2013, 09:20 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

Don't forget the eh300.... same specs as hd25lv it seems but 3500 lumens I just bought the hd131xe version myself but it seems the only real differences between all these models is color, firmware and possibly the lamp used... It very confusing....I'm curiously waiting for someone to attempt installing the higher lumen firmware on the lower lumen models with the same bulb and see what happens...

I plan on trying out the EH300 software on my LV and seeing if there is a difference. I plan to analyze the code of both first though as I am a programmer myself. If I find anything specific, I'll post it to these forums.

post #14 of 19 Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreationz View Post

I plan on trying out the EH300 software on my LV and seeing if there is a difference. I plan to analyze the code of both first though as I am a programmer myself. If I find anything specific, I'll post it to these forums.
I did this myself with the hd25e and hd131xe and found the firmware files where in fact the exact same files and recognized as the same model projector in the service mode... I was unable however to varify if the factory defalt picture settings were different between the two which would certainly allow them to advertize different lumen and contrast specs...
post #15 of 19 Old 11-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Interesting... the easy way to test that would be to calibrate both of them and compare the lumens post calibration.

post #16 of 19 Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
131Xe is a great machine, incredible picture for the price. Matches my previous $1800 (in 2007) Sanyo Z2000 in PQ and blows it away on brightness.
You may want a higher (1.5+) gain screen if you'll be watching it in 120" with significant ambient, but it's lumen output is strong enough to deal with my 1.1 gain 110" Elite in a much-less-than-perfect HT. 110" is about the biggest I'd want, in my room during darker 3D scenes in particular. 2D during the day is fine.
I posted room pics and TV screenshots in post #727 of the 131 thread, and ones of the very good focus uniformity in post 879.
There are a few owners who have received units with some kind of anomaly, which shows up as blurred or "ghosting" in the corners (only an issue when you're looking at text, like with an HTPC) but Optoma has been good about taking these units back and fixing the issue.
Going to watch Dredd in 3D now, psyched!

post #17 of 19 Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreationz View Post

Interesting... the easy way to test that would be to calibrate both of them and compare the lumens post calibration.
I had asked somewhere for anyone with the hd25e to post the factory settings in bright mode so I can compare them to my HD131xe and see if they are different numbers but no one has.... sigh. It could be something as simple as the brilliant color being set to say 6 on the 25e vs the default of 3 on the 131xe (thats in cinema mode though)
post #18 of 19 Old 11-09-2013, 05:35 AM

Last night, I downloaded the EStar America upgrade app and used it directly with my Optoma emitter and glasses. I can confirm it works with them. I turned down the duty cycle(slightly less open time for the shutters to prevent cross talk) and switched to using Bright instead of Eco for 3D. Pic during Eco 2D and Bright 3D both look awesome and ZERO crosstalk after I turned down the duty cycle slightly. Duty cycle = Crosstalk vs Brightness as it control how long the shutter stay open or closed during a single cycle. My duty cycle was at 110 when I start and there was maybe 3% or less crosstalk(could very slightly see the other image when up close to the screen). Down to 100 and it was completely gone. I used a 3D star-field of bright white dots(from the intro to the Pacific Rim 3D BD) to make crosstalk easy to spot.

post #19 of 19 Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 AM

How is the 2D image on the Optoma 25's?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page